Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Why would they remove class based tier sets

In the past, with each new raid every class would get a set unique to them. You may have liked some and disliked others, but each one was designed with that class fantasy in mind. It was cool and gave you plenty to choose from. And other classes of the same armor type could get lookalikes if they wanted to spice things up.

Now I check the frontpage and see they've done away with this concept in favor of one armor set per armor type... Which results in... Four armor sets for each new raid. This wouldn't be acceptable even if these four armor sets were the pinnacle of brilliance in WoW armor design. But they're not even that. They all pretty much look the same and they look bland as fuck. I can't imagine that much effort went into this.

So what's the reason for cutting corners here? It seems like one more reason to not even bother with raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Because they're lazy, why else? Or they're wasting said resources on allied race armor (That they only really have to model for once race) and pretending that's equal effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's part of the reason I'm not interested in raiding during this expansion. I'll wait till the next one, so I can hopefully solo Legion raids for the sweet, sweet transmog.

To provide raid themed sets like they've said multiple times already?

Whether you believe they put up much effort in the raid sets, well...I like them personally. Raid themed sets are bound to look similar.

It's so they can direct their time into the highly compelling azerite system.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I would have had absolutely no problem with the removal of class based sets, if the sets that they did come out with looked like they put ANY effort into them at all.
    These have to be the dullest sets I've seen from them in a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    To provide raid themed sets like they've said multiple times already?

Whether you believe they put up much effort in the raid sets, well...I like them personally. Raid themed sets are bound to look similar.
    Ya Uldir armor really looks like Titan or Corruption themed armor....not. The "themed" armor from Uldir looks terrible and nothing like either of the themes they could have went with this.

To clarify weapons look great and fit the theme, the armor does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Because they're lazy, why else?
    Players calling the devs lazy is getting really old.

They've talked about this already. How many times can you create an armor set that fully represents a particular class? Eventually, they start looking pretty similar. I like the idea of armor sets themed around a raid's aesthetic. I've wanted this since the days of ZA and ZG where we had troll themed armor. I'm happy with all the Paladin themed armor I've got. Let's see what new ideas they come up with because, yes, they are trying something new even though you may not think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    That's part of the reason I'm not interested in raiding during this expansion. I'll wait till the next one, so I can hopefully solo Legion raids for the sweet, sweet transmog.
    Its already very possible to solo legion raids on at lease normal mode.

I've already cleared EN and ToV.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I believe they said the team was tired of designing different takes of the same style of armor over and over again. I can kind of see where they are coming from. Having to design armor with the same themes over and over again can get kinda boring and eventually you run out of ideas. They did promise however that there would be a wider variety of armor selections for each class over the course of the expansion, just less overall sets in the game. So instead of the first 3 raids all sharing the same armor design, we are probably gonna get unique sets for every raid. Also pvp sets being untied to the tier sets is a good thing. So I'm said to see less variations of gear in raids, it seems like there intent is to have a broader range of gear spread over different content, not just the best sets in raids in nowhere else. With the focus of endgame shifting away from purely raiding and divided over various content, the decision kinda makes since, even if I don't agree with it.

Because they're lazy, why else?
    They are so lazy they designed this expansion called battle for azeroth......

Bet they did it in a weekend as well.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

You may start to discover a theme here: BFA is a really lazy expansion.
    Class design is boring. Azerite Armor is boring. And now transmog is boring too. Welcome to BFA.

That said, some of the raidweapons look really good. But the armor looks like level 20 greens.

So they have an excuse to put in even less effort in armor design. Armor design has gone downhill since MoP, with only a handful of tier sets looking pretty decent, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    So what's the reason for cutting corners here? It seems like one more reason to not even bother with raids.
    There aren't any corners being cut. They simply created more location-based sets rather than more class based sets.

Like out of all of the possible things you could complain about with regards to BfA this is the most retarded one. The sets are as detailed as ever, have more unique geometry than ever, and are just as plentiful as they've ever been. They are just not class based, and not all from raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Ya Uldir armor really looks like Titan or Corruption themed armor....not. The "themed" armor from Uldir looks terrible and nothing like either of the themes they could have went with this.

To clarify weapons look great and fit the theme, the armor does not.
    If you don't see the painfully obvious titan theme in the sets, I don't know how to help you.

Because they're lazy, why else? Or they're wasting said resources on allied race armor (That they only really have to model for once race) and pretending that's equal effort.
    it's less laziness, more cost cutting for business reasons.

in short, to make their selves more money. less effort overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be less annoyed if each major raid had 2 sets each per armor type.

Uldir having 4 is fine if its the only major raid with 4.
    Zuldazar raid is small if its real, so 4 set.
    Azshara raid 8 sets.
    8.2 8 sets.
    8.3 8 sets.

That would barely be noticeable, and maybe even cool, but if its truly 1 armor type set per raid, very lame.

At least we won't have to come back to this xpac to farm xmog

10+ Year Old Account
    It was both good and bad and over the years. It was fun to see "what's this raids set bonus" but it had problems too.

Mainly that some bonuses were so insane that you didn't want to replace it. With Titanforging in Legion, people used TF set pieces from Tomb of Sargeras combined with Antorus gear, either 4piece + 2p or 2p + 2p and maybe legendary in other slots etc.

That is quite bad design. The current raid should always undoubtably provide the best gear for each slot. However, some sets, wheter TF or not and even with lower ilvl, did not provide good set bonuses but also really smooth, convinient and rotation changing ones.

Take my class for instance, Assassination Rogue. Tomb of Sargeras 2set reduced energy cost and more importantly cooldown of garrote by ALOT, making it basically have no cooldown at all. This way, it made multi dotting incredibly smooth and awesome. Damage wise it got replaced by Antorus gear BUT it was so smooth and convinient to not have a garrote cooldown that I never ever wanted to replace it.

So, that's why I don't like it that much. To give players great and fun set bonuses to take it away later is kinda cruel. We all remember that set from whatever expansion we never wanted to part with and I would rather they focus on making abilities more fun than having set bonuses.

Also, of course, the bonuses were so mandatory. If you were unlucky and didn't have 2set or 4set, you would lose so much DPS and maybe even get benched from guildraids. And to have to use Normal mode set bonuses over heroic non set gear is also awful design. I have these cool Shoulders with 500ilvl but nope, gotta use these 400ilvl shoulders instead to get bonus. That's pretty bad design. Not having set bonuses will make it less important what gear you have in each slot.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

They stated why they are stopping with tier sets, it was difficult coming up with new and interesting tier set bonuses. If you go back and look at every single tier set bonus from all classes, they depleted so much creativity. And if they were to repeat any, people would QQ saying Blizz can't come up with original ideas, they just reuse ideas. They get that heat now as is with reskins of gear, mounts, pets even. Give them a break, you don't have to use the Uldir appearances, you haven't had to use current tier looks since Cataclysm, be happy for transmog to use whatever appearances you have earned.

Back onto tier bonuses, sure they could come up with new ones, but what else is left besides the first raid tier sets are always bland and are like 5% crit to certain abilities or flat damage increases, and people would bitch about that as well even though that's been their concept for a while now for first raid tier bonuses.

And yes I will agree the gear for Uldir looks bland, but that just leaves it to where the next 2(?) armor sets will be even better, just be happy with what you have available to your class and use it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its already very possible to solo legion raids on at lease normal mode.

I've already cleared EN and ToV.
    How the hell did you solo the first boss of ToV?

Dont tell me......you did it with 90% less damage cant be