Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    You think I care about Nike? I don't care about Nike. Their shoes are trash, I wear Asics. I don't even care about Kaepernick. He's right - my brother who prosecutes the enormous number of bad cops (in New York City) the Target stock boys here want to cover for says as much. It's actually that bad.

No. What I care about is how this, for yet another year, stabs at the very essence of the entirely fraudulent patriotism (really non-existent) that lives at the very heart of the MAGATs.

As I said, Kaepernick/Nike is the stimulus, and this little affair here (get ready for Trump's tweet) is the science experiment.
    Again, sugar coat it all you want. You're literally supporting a child exploiting corporation because it suits you politically.

What does the T in MAGAT stand for, btw? Or is it some cringe nickname like 'libtard' but for right wingers?

The next time Democrats control the House, Senate and Presidency, which they will sometime this decade, they will do the following.

(1) They will use the nuclear option and get rid of the filibuster on legislation in the Senate.
    (2) After that, they will pass the following laws needing just a 51 vote majority, which they will have.

- They will explicitly legalize abortion via statue.
    - They will legislate into existence single pay healthcare.
    - They will ban discrimination on gender grounds, including against transgender individuals
    - They will raise taxes on the upper 20% to pay for every liberal agenda item they want.
    - They will pass nationalized gun control, and it'll be quite strict.
    I think these would be wildly unpopular, and political suicide.

I'd expect them to perhaps try to expand gun control laws in some way, as well as perhaps introduce some new healthcare bill, but I don't think there's any chance they go right for single-payer and strict gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Skroe, you can sugar coat it anyway you want, at the end of the day Nike is trying to appease their likely biggest market - black people and they're doing it under the guise of some moral good whilst simultaneously having child labourers that they exploit the shit out of.

I don't care about the kneeling for the flag shit. I'm not American nor a Trump supporter. I'm simply laughing at how partisan American politics has become, that left wing people are supporting a corporation that happily exploit black people's social issues to sell shoes and happily exploit children in 3rd world countries to make the manufacturing cost of said shoes much cheaper to increase the profit margins when selling said shoes to those black people.
    It doesnt matter what you do as long as you are against Conservatives and/or Trump and/or supporting black people.

Show me evidence of cops deciding at the start of their shift that they are going to kill a few blackies that day. If most crimes are committed in the inner city or low income areas and there are more of a police presence in these areas. Than logic dictates you will have more black vs police encounters. Thus, you will have more deaths resulting from these encounters. Especially when people dont cooperate with the orders of the police.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    That doesnt make any sense though. If you support these two people than it is because you support their views and court rulings. It shouldnt matter who appointed them.
    It absolutely makes sense. Because how they got put on the court matters.

Donald Trump is illegitimate. He violated campaign finance laws. He colluded with Russia. He has serially abused his power. I would say it's that last item - the abuse of power - that is in fact, the most profane and he did that all by himself, after January 20th 2017. Which means that everything he has done, even things I whole heartedly agree with, are illegitimate actions too. I don't get to pick and choose, just because I like some things.

This is the key problem with the Donald Trump supporter as an organism. They think that because they like things Trump has done, that justifies everything else. On the contrary it NEVER does. That's an end's justifies the means argument.

No. They do not. Either policy is advanced fairly, with respect to norms and the highest level of ethics and morality and consistent with our traditions, or it has no business being advanced at all.

Advancing a conservative agenda in this country through illegitimate and dishonorable means is not an advance at all. it is a sugar high. A stunt. And transient jump that will lead to a destructive fall. And liberals will be completely in the right to take the most bitter of revenge against conservatives when power changes hands. It was Donald Trump and his supporters that threw the first punch. They won't throw the last. And liberals will be in the right.

So as I said, get ready to lose some guns. The consensus has been broken. By the Trumpkins.

I don't understand why they would sign a non-athlete as the face of their athletic shoe and apparel company's campaign.

The guy is as relevant in the sports world right now as I am.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I think these would be wildly unpopular, and political suicide.

I'd expect them to perhaps try to expand gun control laws in some way, as well as perhaps introduce some new healthcare bill, but I don't think there's any chance they go right for single-payer and strict gun control.
    On the contrary, polls show that both are popular and INCREASINGLY popular.

Also nationalized gun control is not nationalized gun elimination. It's limitations, not repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Anyway they will do it. And then they will double dare for Republicans to engage in a full repeal when power changes hands. Republicans won't. If they can't repeal Obamacare, and only the "skinny repeal", which also failed, had a chance, tnen they aren't going to be able to repeal grander things, particularly if single payer takes the form of Medicare for all.

Democrats are absolutely right in this bet - once Americans like the taste of the federal teat, they don't want to let go.

That is going to be the legacy of the Trump Administration, and Democrats will be in the right to do it, because it was the faux-conservatives who blew up the norms first.

So get ready for an 11 person Supreme Court, at about the time Clarence Thomas gets rather old.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I'll never buy another Nike shoe again.

Get woke go broke.
    Nikes are overpriced and people will murder you for your shoes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    I don't understand why they would sign a non-athlete as the face of their athletic shoe and apparel company's campaign.

The guy is as relevant in the sports world right now as I am.
    Shock value advertisement, look at everyone giving a shit about this (for some reason) now if it will help or hurt their bottom line only time will tell.

On the contrary, polls show that both are popular and INCREASINGLY popular.
    I think single-payer or "Medicare for all" is popular as a concept to Americans, but the costs associated with implementing it would not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Again, sugar coat it all you want. You're literally supporting a child exploiting corporation because it suits you politically.

What does the T in MAGAT stand for, btw? Or is it some cringe nickname like 'libtard' but for right wingers?
    I'm not supporting Nike. I don't care about Nike. I care about the MAGAT's burning their Nikes because ol'Kaepernick exposed the shallowness of their so-called patriotism.

And yes, that's exactly what it is. Dehumanization of the other side. Is that not clear? Are you under the impression that our side is somehow inclined to pull our punches. We're playing for all the marbles, dear. I don't respect these people. Of course I'm going to treat them like dogshit. They've had three years to get off the Trump crazy train. They don't. They're our adversary. I have zero interest in some kind of reconciliation, mutual understanding or winning them over.

Other people want to waste their time with these bottom feeders, they can have a blast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I think single-payer or "Medicare for all" is popular as a concept to Americans, but the costs associated with implementing it would not be.
    You missed the line that made it poplar in my list:

-Increased taxes on the upper 20% of Americans.

There you go. Most Americans would not see the costs. And therein lies the problem of the Republican Party.

"But my Gorsuch" is going to give way to "Well, it was nice while it lasted".

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    SNIP
    Your rants are just getting sad now, maybe you should tell your master to stop sticking his noses where it doesn't belong. Kapernick's protest was going to die along with his career without any noise until he got involved because he thought people like you would like it. If it wasn't for him Nike wouldn't have given him the opportunity.

Hey. If Nike wants to hire a guy who cried about racism while he and his girlfriend were hilariously racist, they are 100% free to. Welcome to the free market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    What’s funny as hell is you thinking giving up on wearing a team jersey is some kind of life altering sacrifice. It’s a perfectly legitimate means of social protest. Far more reasonable than say, smashing windows, lighting cars on fire and tearing down statues.
    You are assuming the boycot will hold. I know enough sports fans that I feel confident it will not. People will delay buying a bit and then at some point in the near future most will cave and buy a jersey. Nike will have an exceptional quarter and CK will have his money in the bank.

Ironically one of the key problems with policing in the US is that the very same people which live in a fake-reality where Cops shouldn't be held accountable, don't want to pay higher taxes to support better training, more cops, and better benefits to cops.

Resultingly, many police forces are under-staffed and have difficulty recruiting. When my best friend got out of the Army after 2 tours in Afghanistan, he interviewed for a police job, and lost it because he (with a 4 year degree under his belt too) was found essentially to be hysterically overqualified for one.
    Most of my buddies that came back after Iraq didn't get the cop job because they had prejudices against a certain demographic of people that had killed their friends over seas. not because they were over/ under qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Your attempts to trigger me are adorable lol. Yes, yes, let the derangement flow through you.
    But it's not an attempt to trigger. It's what is coming because Democrats have nothing to lose by blowing up the legislative filibuster next time they take power.

In fact, Trump was right - Republicans should have done it last year (from their perspective). In the unlikely case Republicans hold the House this fall, they should this year.

I say all this because Democrats are going to do all those things if they win the Presidency and Senate in 2020 and hold the House they will win in 2018.

The take away from this is that the Donald Trump supporter is going to learn the harsh lesson in the wisdom of governing by a broad consensus, which includes liberals, especially when conservative policies are broadly less poplar in this country than liberal ones.

But it's not an attempt to trigger. It's what is coming because Democrats have nothing to lose by blowing up the legislative filibuster next time they take power.

In fact, Trump was right - Republicans should have done it last year (from their perspective). In the unlikely case Republicans hold the House this fall, they should this year.

I say all this because Democrats are going to do all those things if they win the Presidency and Senate in 2020 and hold the House they will win in 2018.

The take away from this is that the Donald Trump supporter is going to learn the harsh lesson in the wisdom of governing by a broad consensus, which includes liberals, especially when conservative policies are broadly less poplar in this country than liberal ones.
    Are they sure they want to scuttle one of their own weapons?

Edit: Never Forget Skroe also predicted a Clinton landslide, anyone who wants to buy into his chest puffery.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not for one reason and one reason alone: Trump.

Political analysts anticipate Trump driving hard the whole NFL kneeling angle to rile up the base in the fall prior to the election and once the NFL season enters full swing, because he has zero actual policies for Republicans to run on.

So he's going to try cheap displays of patriotism and defense thereof instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey man, I wear Asics, because Nikes are indeed, cheaply made.

But this isn't about how good a shoe Nike its. It's about Nike, an icon of American business and modern Americana, and the 30th Anniversary of "Just Do It", one of the most successful marketing slogans of all time.

It's about challenging the racist faux-patriotism of your illegitimate President and your phony-patriot side.

Your President wants to dial up the culture war? Let the battle be joined. God help you, because nobody else will. You've already been driven out of the NFL. Care to wonder what's next?
    Please tell me how the fuck is Trump a illegitimate President? Was he elected? Yes he was so he´s a legitimate choosen President.

I don´t like him but wtf you´re having such a hardon on blaming all and everything you can on him?

Deleted
    They're only doing it to sell more shoes. So who cares what some company panders to?

Well, obviously there'll be some easily triggered people, but honestly, Nike doesn't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Please tell me how the fuck is Trump a illegitimate President? Was he elected? Yes he was so he´s a legitimate choosen President.

I don´t like him but wtf you´re having such a hardon on blaming all and everything you can on him?
    Welcome to the Democrat variant of "X isn't my president". Some people treat politics like high School football. And if your team didn't win, somebody cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post

Elections bestow legitimacy. But legitimacy has to be kept.

I'll quote myself from the McCain thread and the VP thread.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post49996066

It's entirely clear at this point Trump is illegitimate. If you don't accept that the manner in which he won his election rendered him illegitimate, his behavior in office has made him illegitimate.

This is the standard by which the United States has held other countries to for decades. And if we apply it to other countries, we have the moral obligation apply it to ourselves as well. We are not above our own standards.

We have seen before elsewhere politicians win elections, and then in office, abuse their power, commit crimes and undermine institutions - all things Trump has done. We have then declared them illegitimate by virtue of their conduct in office.

Donald Trump has lost legitimacy on the following grounds:
    -Sympathizing with Neo Nazis in Charlottesville. He surrendered the Presidency's moral authority.
    -Daily outright lies on topics big and small, numbering in the thousands at this point.
    -Attempted attacks on the press, the rule of law and national institutions
    -Weaponizing family seperations as a means of disincentivizing illegal immigration. This was both domestically illegal and international considered a human rights violation and done on his orders.
    -Actively leading the cover-up of the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting, which was about collusion, and lying to the American people about the intent of the meeting for a year over it.
    -Continuing to lie about his role in the Stormy Daniels coverup in late 2016, despite the fact that his involvement is now a matter of legal fact thanks to Cohen's guilty plea.
    -Firing Sally Yates, James Comey, and stripping Brennan's security clearance on political grounds rather than wrongdoing on Brennan's part.
    -Ongoing violations of the Emoluments Clause, as is being litigated at the present.

These actions make Donald Trump illegitimate. Winning an election bestows legitimacy. Using the power of any office for ends not in the national interest takes away that legitimacy.

Tell me, how is the year that Donald Trump lies about the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting in the national interest?
    Tell me, how is Trump committing a human rights violation by weaponizing family separations in the national interest?
    Tell me, how is stripping Brennan's security clearance because he said not nice things about Trump in the national interest?

These are all abuses of power and abuses of the public trust. Even if you completely ignore the fact that how he won the Presidency renders him illegitimate, it is inescapable: how he has acted since he became President has stripped of of that legitimacy.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...n#post50047448

Legitimacy stems not just from one how achieved power, but from how one wields it. Abuse of power and acting against the best interests of the country, among other things, are post-election avenues to illegitimacy.

There are lots of discrete actions of Donald Trump that have rendered him illegitimate. If I had to pick three, in no specific order, I'd name:

-Sympathizing this Neo-Nazis during Charlottesville in 2017. As one official put it Trump "surrendered the moral authority of the Presidency and the position of High priest of our civil religion".

- Lying to the American people for over a year about the nature of the June 2016 Trump tower meeting, and his role in the cover up that began in July 2017, only to fess up to it in full in July 2018. He knew the truth the entire time. He just lied about it to protect himself. We can expand this to encompass his unprecedented magnitude of lies in general.

- Weaponizing family separations at the concentration camps at the US-Mexican border in order to disincentivize illegal immigration before it occurs. This practice was stopped by federal courts, but to intentionally split up families without legal cause, just to be a deterrent is an appalling abuse of power and a gross abandonment of American principles.

Donald Trump is President ex-officio. But that's the end of it. He's entirely illegitimate, by his own hand. He has no more moral claim to power, and that is the foundation of political legitimacy in the Western world that legal right to power facilitates. Power without morality is illegitimate. He still has a legal right. Over the next year, that will be gone too.

I gotta say, this event really got the snowflakes heated. I can't believe people are so easily offended these days.