Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help with my set up to make wow run smoother

so i play wow at 3840 x 2160 and it runs smooth during m+ and raids but as soon as there is a 30 man raid my fps drops though the floor from 45-50 to about 15-20 what is still playable. But im also looking to stream my raids and m+s to my guildes and friends during m+ its fine but the problem is in the raids i get about 3 fps xD im looking for tips on what i can do to improve my fps so i could stream.

my set up is

Cpu: i5-4690k
    Motherboard: GA-Z97P-D3
    Ram: 8gb
    gpu: gtx 1070

Im guessing the real problem is with my resolution i play at is draining my cpu hard + trying to stream on top of that is to much ive tried dropping my res down to 1080 but on my display the text on details ect looks really bad and blurry.

Overclock your cpu. It's a huge improvement to minimum framerate.

Deleted
    i thought about overclocking but the fan for my cpu is the basic fan that came with it and i also have no idea how to overclock so if i did and fucked it i would be screwed with no cpu

- - - Updated - - -

im also guessing my cpu is quite dated now and upgrading it would be the best move with more ram

Deleted
    so if i upgraded to a 4790K + overclocked it i would be in a better place right? as the i7 can muti task better then the i5

Turn some settings down in raids. Lighting, etc. Some of those per-light post-processing things are probably expensive at 4K.

There's always a few framerate issues in raids on pull though. It's just the nature of the beast. Everyone firing off buffs and trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by healzr View Post
    so if i upgraded to a 4790K + overclocked it i would be in a better place right? as the i7 can muti task better then the i5
    I would not suggest buying a 4790k at this point. It's a 4 year old processor and you probably won't see more than 5-10% improvement. Get an 8700k instead. It has more cores and threads than the 4790k, and it's a better OC'er.

Or wait until the 9000 series launches and buy the 9700k, you'll also get a better IHS on it (More cores than the 8700k, but less threads since it doesn't hyperthread), and from the previews you're getting a beast of an overclocker.

Deleted
    the main problem is not when i just raid it when i raid + try to stream so surely having a i7 will help with this?

Plus upgrading to a newer cpu means a new motherboard + ddr4 ram and all this is out of my price range atm

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you can get a 4790k for, that will help with streaming but....not much. Go read up on Hyperthreading, once you do you will probably change your mind.

I would wait for the new Intel 8 core cpus and just upgrade MB/Ram/CPU and not waste money on 4 year old tech.

Deleted
    so on my gigabyte motherboard in the bio i can boost my cpu by 20% up to 100% i tired 20% and my cpu temp in the bios went from 50c to 70c so i set it back to auto as that worried me

Deleted
    the standard base fan that came with the cpu

Deleted
    Ya this is why i never tired overclocking as i knew my cooling was poor

- - - Updated - - -

so my best bet would to buy better cooling and then to overclock ? would this allow me to stream and raid do you guys think

Deleted
    Well idealy i never want to make a new pc but by the looks of it i have no other option but i have a budget of £0 for that right now so i guess its time to save up

Some people, why you bought a 4K monitor without PC that can hold it, like your gpu can't hold that resolution in any normal game. So you have 2 options: 1 replace your monitor with 1080p one, 2 lower settings to 1/10. There is an option 3 sell your 1070 and buy 1080ti atleast or but another 1070 and go SLI.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasus View Post
    Some people, why you bought a 4K monitor without PC that can hold it, like your gpu can't hold that resolution in any normal game. So you have 2 options: 1 replace your monitor with 1080p one, 2 lower settings to 1/10. There is an option 3 sell your 1070 and buy 1080ti atleast or but another 1070 and go SLI.
    I run wow at 3840x2160 fine

https://gyazo.com/de1c9110f87ee3ade19c461ed6f18a31

i get about 50 fps in m+ and drops to 30 while streaming the problem is in 30 man raids

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Yes it would help. You shouldn't stream encoded from CPU however with your PC. You should use the NVENC, i.e. GPU encode, you have a 1070. Streaming with the CPU is for people that have 6/12 cores/threads CPUs and above, and even then I'd still not do it.

Use NVENC. Quality is almost similar.
    i was using nvenc

15+ Year Old Account
    so i play wow at 3840 x 2160 and it runs smooth during m+ and raids but as soon as there is a 30 man raid my fps drops though the floor from 45-50 to about 15-20 what is still playable. But im also looking to stream my raids and m+s to my guildes and friends during m+ its fine but the problem is in the raids i get about 3 fps xD im looking for tips on what i can do to improve my fps so i could stream.

my set up is

Im guessing the real problem is with my resolution i play at is draining my cpu hard + trying to stream on top of that is to much ive tried dropping my res down to 1080 but on my display the text on details ect looks really bad and blurry.
    Not sure why people are saying the 4690k is your problem, it is a fantastic chip and OCs well. You can easily OC the 4690k to 4.4ghz at about 1.2 volts but every chip is different. I have seen some people push them to 5ghz but the common range is 4.6 to 4.8.

I personally run mine at 4.4ghz so as to get plenty of life out of the chip. All you need is a good air cooler like a 212 evo from cooler master.
    Don't listen to these people bashing your chip...they don't know WTF they are talking about.

Also, running your RAM in 2 DIMMs is better than using 4. Since you have 8gb RAM than I assume you do this with 2 4gb. I recommend running the RAM at 1866mhz-2400mhz. A RAM upgrade is a good idea for you, 16gb is the sweet spot imo as I have seen RAM usage with newer games creep to 7+gb.
    Shortly before BfA launch with the obnoxious removal of fullscreen, GTX cards seem to have taken a performance hit. I had 6.5gb RAM usage with only BfA running when I checked at one point when all the lag issues where going on. Similar to GTAV for PC, it was almost as if there was a memory leak.

The geforce experience needs an update for WoW now and it cannot be relied upon to optimize settings currently. It still does not recognize fullscreen is gone for one.
    Typically the 970 and 1070 run best at 1080p but of course there are variables.

So, in short upgrade your RAM to (2) 8gb for a total of 16gb in XMP profile and run cas9-cas10 latency OCed to 1866-2400mhz and OC that 4690k to at least 4.4ghz.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasus View Post
    I'm running a 980ti which is about equal to a 1070 and I was able to run wow at 90+ on 7/10 in outdoor content during Legion, dropping to 40-50 during opening burst in raids. Haven't really played BFA yet so haven't tried it there.

WoW really isn't very GPU intensive, it's almost entirely CPU bound

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Not sure why people are saying the 4690k is your problem, it is a fantastic chip and OCs well. You can easily OC the 4690k to 4.4ghz at about 1.2 volts but every chip is different. I have seen some people push them to 5ghz but the common range is 4.6 to 4.8.

I personally run mine at 4.4ghz so as to get plenty of life out of the chip. All you need is a good air cooler like a 212 evo from cooler master.
    Don't listen to these people bashing your chip...they don't know WTF they are talking about.

Also, running your RAM in 2 DIMMs is better than using 4. Since you have 8gb RAM than I assume you do this with 2 4gb. I recommend running the RAM at 1866mhz-2400mhz. A RAM upgrade is a good idea for you, 16gb is the sweet spot imo as I have seen RAM usage with newer games creep to 7+gb.
    Shortly before BfA launch with the obnoxious removal of fullscreen, GTX cards seem to have taken a performance hit. I had 6.5gb RAM usage with only BfA running when I checked at one point when all the lag issues where going on. Similar to GTAV for PC, it was almost as if there was a memory leak.

The geforce experience needs an update for WoW now and it cannot be relied upon to optimize settings currently. It still does not recognize fullscreen is gone for one.
    Typically the 970 and 1070 run best at 1080p but of course there are variables.

So, in short upgrade your RAM to (2) 8gb for a total of 16gb in XMP profile and run cas9-cas10 latency OCed to 1866-2400mhz and OC that 4690k to at least 4.4ghz.
    I don't recall anyone saying his cpu was shit. His problem isn't his chip, his problem is what he is trying to do with it.

Instructing someone to invest money in 4 year old technology is amateurism at its best. He is trying to play wow and stream it at a high resolution. Adding 8GB of ram OCed isnt going to solve his issue, nor is OCing his cpu. Your post has no solution for him with his issues. Not to mention, his MB isnt a good OCer to start with, I doubt he will get any stable OC out of his memory, and for 4th gen Intel chips, it wont add anything anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Not to mention, his MB isnt a good OCer to start with, I doubt he will get any stable OC out of his memory, and for 4th gen Intel chips, it wont add anything anyway.
    He also said in post #12 that he's using the stock heatsink, so really don't wanna OC while using that

Deleted

my set up is

I'm gona put it out there, I had an i5-4690k and even OC'd it to 4.6Ghz with a GTX 1080 with 16gb ram, I was running at 1080p NOT even 4k and it never ran "smooth" in raids so I highly doubt you have a smooth situation in M+ once things get heavy and also high playered raids.

I currently have a 8600k and a GTX 1080 as my main setup still on 1080p and if I max everything out in certain places it still tanks the FPS unless I put my view distance on 7/10...

WoW is a CPU heavy game and it is a VERY old engine in play, if it was built from the ground up on DX12, then expect insane results, but in reality it was built on what, DX9 or lower?

I upgraded from a GTX 980m (yes, mobile) to a GTX 1080 desktop (as i switched from laptop gaming) and it was BARELY an upgrade at all....

You will never get buttery smooth goodness of FPS on 4k on WoW. Just sayin'

my set up is

It's not worth upgrading to a better 4th gen CPU, unless you can find one at a worthwhile discount.

To overclock I'd suggest upgrading to a heatsink like the cooler Master hyper 212 Evo OR noctua nh-d14.

If 4k is a little too taxing, and 1080 isn't quite right, try 1440p?

But if you're trying to stream and play at 4k, that's a little much. I know you said you don't have a budget for it, but try streaming using a separate PC? Maybe a laptop or another rig?
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2018-09-07 at 01:04 PM.