Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

How to Speak English fluently?

English is weird and unexplainable, so instead the best thing to do is just memorize the strange exceptions and move on.

The best way to quickly improve your English is to spend at least a few minutes practicing every day.

The right attitude can make the difference between failure and success. Stop thinking of yourself as someone who is learning English, and start thinking of yourself as someone who speaks English.

Listen carefully when someone asks you a question in English and you’ll answer perfectly every time.

The more you listen to this authentic English, the better you will understand how to speak English naturally.

Start by thinking about phrases that you use frequently in your native language, and then learn how to say them in English.

7+ Year Old Account
    Um, that all applies to just about any language. And all languages have their quirks. English's only real quirks are 1) heavier usage of idioms/metaphors than a lot of other languages, these are really hard for non-native speakers to pick up on, and 2) inconsistent spelling rules. Other than that, it's a Germanic language, that's not very different from its close relatives (German and Dutch).

Probably moreso than any other language, a large percentage of "English" words are borrowed from other languages, particularly German, French, and Spanish. For example, we commonly use the word "aquatic" is reference to fishtanks, marine biologists, water proof gear, swimming resorts, etc, but the root word "aqua" is Spanish.

https://blog.cudoo.com/something-bor...oreign-origins

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Probably moreso than any other language, a large percentage of "English" words are borrowed from other languages, particularly German, French, and Spanish. For example, we commonly use the word "aquatic" is reference to fishtanks, marine biologists, water proof gear, swimming resorts, etc, but the root word "aqua" is Spanish.

https://blog.cudoo.com/something-bor...oreign-origins
    Aqua actually comes from Latin. The Spanish word agua also comes from Latin, so Latin is the actual root here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Aqua actually comes from Latin. The Spanish word agua also comes from Latin, so Latin is the actual root here.
    1/3 of English's vocabulary comes from Latin, and another third comes from French (which has most of its own vocabulary also coming from Latin)...

English is what you get when a germanic language tries its best to be as romance as possible.

The best way to learn any language is to watch movies, shows, media etc. in that language with subs in your language so you understand whats being said. And then actually talk to people for practice.

5+ Year Old Account
    Search @Ashens and watch a few of his videos daily...

Thank me later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar
    The US seems destined by providence to plague America with torments in the name of freedom.

English is my second language and by now I can say that I speak and write it as if it were my native language. But it wasn't always like this. I had to read lots of books, I had to constantly practice everyday by reading and writing. I had to watch a lot of English movies to get the American accent down. With writing, I had to create a free website using a website builder which is hPage: https://www.hpage.com (in case you are interested in what resource I used). With that, I practiced my writing by blogging as much as I can. Whatever thoughts I have, I blogged it and I got useful feedback from kind strangers all over the world. I also documented and blogged my journey in learning English using that free website platform which I am very thankful for. Of course, this happened 5-7 years ago but now I can say, thanks to online resources and self motivation that I can now speak English very well.

Just get into such environment. I am from Russia and have lived in America for 7 years. I raised my level quite strongly

Just talk to yourself in English when ur alone. Read english on the internet or a book and even think in Englishbsometimes. Watch livestreams of ur fav game in eng.

watch tv series or chat with English man.

Thanks for the tips...I am also not good at English but I learn little by little...

Watch English news channel daily.

Well the best way is try to repeat what the native said or basicaly copycat all of the way they speak to the word they used. Then you record your own voice speaking those. Listen to them and check again and again. Practice make perfect guys.

Talk, talk and talk. That is the best way to learn any language. Don't be self-conscious while talking as you are bound to make mistakes. Apart from talking, watch movies and web series - first with subtitles and later without subtitles. Read a lot of English textbooks to get a hang of grammar and develop your vocabulary.

Watching original English-speaking TV series with the subtitles in your own tongue can help as well. The most important thing is to keep watching, listening and thus learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    as a default english speaker, english is fucking dumb as shit. worst language there ever was. all i can say to help is the trick that helps with any language, be surrounded with it. most of it comes from latin but also borrows from french considering that its based on european roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

If English is not your native language,to learn it well, you can only read and speak more.

Quote Originally Posted by ritabos View Post
    Listen carefully when someone asks you a question in English and you’ll answer perfectly every time. The more you listen to this authentic English, the better you will understand how to speak English naturally.
    Read English websites. News websites have the right English when they show all those high profile people. Watch English TV programs.