Are there any softcaps/breakpoints for haste/mastery/crit for affliction anymore?

See title for question. I know that blizzard has been actively trying to make the differences between the secondary stats to be minimal, but i just want to make sure i shouldnt be hitting for a minimum number while i gear.

You should always be simming your toon when you get new gear.
    Download simc addon from Twitch/Curse makes it easy to copy/pasta into www.raidbots.com

Thanks for not answering my questions. Yes i know to sim my character, However it would be nice to simply have a target of % for the values instead of simming it 80 different ways for every different piece of equipment I own, and then again every single time i gain a single piece of equipment.

Blizzard thinks they are making it easier for everyone, but whats easier? "Haste has worse returns after 16%, and crit falls off after 18%, then put the rest into mastery", or "resim your character every single upgrade, alternating pieces until you find the highest one of all your options". (Which by the way is only going to be easily available through something like askdoctorrobot, after paying a premium fee so it can look into your bank and bags to see everything you own to do it automatically)

For me with affliction, I've been dumping everything into Mastery (gems/enchants) and an even mix between haste/crit for 2nd stats. There doesn't seem to be a break point that I have found with haste yet, since you can refresh (and should be) each dot after a certain time to maintain uptime, and with the movement heavy fights, you're refreshing dots during movement to avoid dps loss anyways. Also, there isn't a lot of situations where things need to die fast where we're going to be good at anyways, but if there are that we need to dump on, DS:M can be saved, although not ideal, for those and is your own personal Hero/Lust.

So to answer your question, I haven't found any break points like there were in MoP days. Especially with all of the proc haste you get from Azerite/Trinkets/Enchants, it would be hard to hit a cap and then enchant/manage procs enough to take advantage of them to their fullest as is. However mastery is a flat % increase so the more the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Thanks for not answering my questions. Yes i know to sim my character, However it would be nice to simply have a target of % for the values instead of simming it 80 different ways for every different piece of equipment I own, and then again every single time i gain a single piece of equipment.

Blizzard thinks they are making it easier for everyone, but whats easier? "Haste has worse returns after 16%, and crit falls off after 18%, then put the rest into mastery", or "resim your character every single upgrade, alternating pieces until you find the highest one of all your options". (Which by the way is only going to be easily available through something like askdoctorrobot, after paying a premium fee so it can look into your bank and bags to see everything you own to do it automatically)
    No, there are no breakpoints, because there's no mechanics that interact with the stats in meaningful ways. No breakpoints for new full DoT ticks, no multipliers that reduce stat value past a certain point, none of that. Just shoot for Haste and Mastery, avoid Vers when possible, and you'll be 90% good.

As for simming, what you need to do is get the addon Simpermut. It's an easy way to generate a Simcraft profile that will run multiple gear sets and rank the results. No fuss, no muss.

What I'm wondering is: which dps still have breakpoints/softcaps? I don't play many classes; I didn't even know this was still a thing in WOW.

If you have lots of haste, mastery gets stronger and the other way around. Both can actually already be stronger than Intelligence. Crit and Versa always seem to be 25-30% weaker but they also are worth more if you have almost 0 of them.

There is no specific cap to reach as global cooldowns, cooldowns and dots will be affected not by breakpoints but continously. Dots can be reapplied with 30% and less duration left without a loss (duration will just be added fully to the existing dot). So there is no "last/additional tick" to consider.

Exceptions are hard caps during bloodlust where some portion of the haste effect may be lost (global cooldown locked) but normally you do not remove haste because of blood lust window because most of the benefit remains. Simulations take this "hard cast" cap into account anyway when giving you stat weights
    Last edited by Hyrican; 2018-09-19 at 11:08 AM.

Recently got to just over 15% and Haste is just under Mastery now but are so close its almost interchangeable.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    What I'm wondering is: which dps still have breakpoints/softcaps? I don't play many classes; I didn't even know this was still a thing in WOW.
    Only with very specific class mechanics. The one example of a soft cap I'm still aware of is Frost Mages. They have a large crit chance multiplier on their Shatter combos, so once their Shatter crit chance hits 100% the value goes way down.

At 36% haste you hit 100% UA uptime on a single target, but in reality it's lower because of darkglare, haste procs, lust, and so on. Nothing to really be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Is 69% Mastery / 10% Haste "Ok" for Affliction? Uldir normal gear ilvl 357. Or should I balance it more with Haste?

I mean in simcraft I'm getting Haste value of 1.78 and Mastery value of 1.47, which seems to be suggesting that I have too much Mastery?
    Just take whatever sims higher. There aren't any magic numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post

They are trying to make ilvl matter. It works, mostly - but sometimes it does not. If you wanna optimize, you always had to sim/use fan pages.

Anyway, the reasoning why does cap does not exist anymore, is it depends on your traits, trinkets, other secondaries etc etc.

Back then, you also got a tick more at certain breakpoints - that was changed in .... MoP or something, so you do not need certain thresholds anymore.

For example, Wracking Brilliance increases the significance of haste - and there makes it more attractive. You can't simply boil it down to "haste to 15%" because of external factors, which was not in the game back then either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    No, there are no breakpoints, because there's no mechanics that interact with the stats in meaningful ways. No breakpoints for new full DoT ticks, no multipliers that reduce stat value past a certain point, none of that. Just shoot for Haste and Mastery, avoid Vers when possible, and you'll be 90% good.

As for simming, what you need to do is get the addon Simpermut. It's an easy way to generate a Simcraft profile that will run multiple gear sets and rank the results. No fuss, no muss.
    No need for simpermut, just get the regular simcraft addon and use raidbots.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Back when haste gave extra ticks, that would be your specific caps. That doesn't exist anymore so just go with the stats that weigh higher. Mastery afaik is pretty much king for affliction.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Haste breakpoints are largely tied to CDs or buff durations these days.

For example Arcane Mages, the difference between fitting another arcane blast into Arcane Power and not is huge since most of Arcane's damage is tied to burst phases. So the haste breakpoint exists(which is pretty low amount of haste, but still exists).

The most common reason for seeing wild increases/reductions in haste is just that, you being able to fit in 1 additional GCD during a CD.

And as another example for BM Hunters which I play, getting 11% haste roughly allows for a much smoother AoE rotation since at that point I can fit 2 filler abilities between each Multi-shot(which activates Beast Cleave, our AoE). I don't know the value of it in sims, but it definitely smooths out the rotation during high resource situations in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    And as another example for BM Hunters which I play, getting 11% haste roughly allows for a much smoother AoE rotation since at that point I can fit 2 filler abilities between each Multi-shot(which activates Beast Cleave, our AoE). I don't know the value of it in sims, but it definitely smooths out the rotation during high resource situations in practice.
    Ah yeah i can totally understand the "smoothness" breakpoints. That's a good one to keep in mind for sure. I kinda miss having breakpoints and softcaps.

And I know i'm probably like the only one ever to say this but: i miss hit rating. LOL i really do.

The only reason I miss Pandaria I guess. The reforging and going for haste/ mastery thresholds
    Good times!

Ah yeah i can totally understand the "smoothness" breakpoints. That's a good one to keep in mind for sure. I kinda miss having breakpoints and softcaps.

And I know i'm probably like the only one ever to say this but: i miss hit rating. LOL i really do.
    W...Why would you say something so insane? Are you the Joker?
    I mean missing breakpoints is fine...they were easier in a lot of ways since you had obvious goals to work tward. But hit was a completely unfun way to force you to dedicate gear to making sure you don't miss. It didnt make things crit, or do anything better, it could just say it reduced your chance to fail miserably.

The dropping of Hit is the best decision blizzard ever made.

I think for me why I like hit rating is because it's traditional rpg, because I like tinkering with gear and stats (the more complex the better), and I like the possibility/threat of failure. Traits are now too simple for my tastes. But ya i get that not everyone liked it. But I miss it, along with reforging.

@Shodan30

Simple answer: there are no haste or mastery cap/breakpoints anymore. DoTs scale dynamically nowadays adding partial ticks when you get more haste - back then before this change was made, a certain amount of haste would add a whole full tick, that is no longer the case.

Best way to determine an upgrade is simming right now with a general rule Mastery>Haste. At some point mastery loses value(you find that through simming your stat weights) if you have too little haste which brings haste to a higher value at times. Keep in mind when or if you're there already when you replace mastery for more haste you might end up having mastery on top again due to the loss of x amount of mastery.

Also raidbots might be a more reliable simming option for Warlocks.

Also https://lockonestopshop.com is your lock's best friend.