Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Question The Lack of Stat Templates

    I'm struggling to understand the decision to remove stat templates from PVP. So far it seems that if you aren't on your main, in main spec, with your full battery of OP Azerite traits- you are not competitive.

    It seems odd they would opt for this anti-offspec, anti-alt approach. Personally I play a Druid, and most of the time my preferred PvE and PvP specs don't align. Usually this isn't a problem, at least it wasn't until BFA. I have to imagine there are more players out there who also prefer a secondary spec for PvP.

    Are they eventually adding back in Templates?
    Last edited by Didly; 2018-09-12 at 03:37 PM.

  2. #2
    The Insane FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I'm struggling to understand the decision to remove stat templates from PVP. So far it seems that if you aren't on your main, in main spec, with your full battery of OP Azerite traits- you are not competitive.

    It seems odd they would opt for this anti-offspec, anti-alt approach in the era of "casual WoW."

    Are they eventually adding back in Templates?
    Because months ago this exact thread was made many times over "remove stat templates, they are shit"

    pvpers dont want skill based combat (well atleast fully) they want combat where you curb stomp your enemies with your superior gear.

  3. #3
    I dunno, this kinda makes it a bit more interesting

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Wada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,103
    I guess the majority of WoW playerbase is full of kids who just wanna pwn low geared noobs.

    The stat templates were the best to happen to PvP.
    It cut down the need to level AND gear an alt if you wanted to try a different class to pvp with. And it brought WoW i to the modern era of PvP video games.

    Now it's shit again. I have to play my one class, because who the hell has time to level AND gear 12 alts every start of expansion?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Because months ago this exact thread was made many times over "remove stat templates, they are shit"

    pvpers dont want skill based combat (well atleast fully) they want combat where you curb stomp your enemies with your superior gear.
    More like, superior gear helps skilled pvpers out in fights where they're outnumbered. The logic of "2 people who are worse than me, should not beat me 2v1" has always been around, and from a skill-based standpoint, its hard to argue.

    Also templates didn't do what they were supposed to, balance PvP. Templates were a cancer and its a good thing they're gone, but even so, they aren't fully gone. Some sort of bullshit scaling still exists that makes players do far less damage than they should, which leaves healers and hybrids hopelessly overpowered, especially in arenas.

  6. #6
    Dreadlord Ryken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Posts
    902
    The PVP dev kinda summed it up great on twitter https://twitter.com/ckaleiki/status/1020135820739481600

  7. #7
    The Insane FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    The PVP dev kinda summed it up great on twitter https://twitter.com/ckaleiki/status/1020135820739481600

    FOR those who dont want to click the link, as some people really are that pretentious.

  8. #8
    Until honor/conquest vendors come back, providing both meaningful and linear PvP progression and an entirely level playing ground in arenas, I prefer templates too.

    PvE gear in PvP is not something people wanted when they told Blizzard to remove templates, but we did get that. Nor did anyone ask for the complex health percentage scaling we got now instead of templates. What people wanted is to stomp less geared noobs while in full conquest gear, which is very different from asking for skill to matter less in PvP.

  9. #9
    You guys know, that gear doenst matter that much as you think (only azerite traits) they scale your damage on the player you hit/heal, so if your attack does 10k on a player with 100k HP it does 5k on a player with 50k HP.

    But people always search for excuses for their performance, so gear/no templates are the easiest..., if you dont believe me go test it in duels or watch some high skilled streamers.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I'm struggling to understand the decision to remove stat templates from PVP. So far it seems that if you aren't on your main, in main spec, with your full battery of OP Azerite traits- you are not competitive.

    It seems odd they would opt for this anti-offspec, anti-alt approach. Personally I play a Druid, and most of the time my preferred PvE and PvP specs don't align. Usually this isn't a problem, at least it wasn't until BFA. I have to imagine there are more players out there who also prefer a secondary spec for PvP.

    Are they eventually adding back in Templates?
    No templates are gone because it limited talent choices and gearing options.

    Now there is level scaling so there is still a level playing field for those that want esport PVP.
    Battle for Abilities = WoD 2.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rekz View Post
    I'll trust blizzard over your assessment. They've been doing this for a long time. It may very well be that your class is nerfed in which case, your class will feel as if it doesn't work correctly.

  11. #11
    A lot of pvp bg casuals was crying about templates so they removed it. Meanwhile better than average player were happy that they had no reason to farm equal gear for few weeks. Drainer had like 2.5k cr with green Dh without all artifact traits.

    Sadly most pvp playerbase are casuals who only play random bgs :/

  12. #12
    High Overlord Jaecks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    145
    The wod system was the best imo for all factions, casual or hardcore.

  13. #13
    There's a secret hidden system where your damage is scaled to the ilevel of your target. So no, gear doesn't matter in pvp apart from the traits.

  14. #14
    Oh please, how many of you cry babies that want stat templates back to be "competitive" were actually competitive during Legion?

    Stop making excuses for yourself.

  15. #15
    Stood in the Fire Resentless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    edgeville
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Oh please, how many of you cry babies that want stat templates back to be "competitive" were actually competitive during Legion?

    Stop making excuses for yourself.
    As a 2600 2s and 3s and hero of the horde player, templates made it pretty great for any alt I made to still push for a quick 2k and not feel gimped for several months. Hope you enjoy stomping low geared players now with your superior pve trinkets and 'skill'

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I'm struggling to understand the decision to remove stat templates from PVP. So far it seems that if you aren't on your main, in main spec, with your full battery of OP Azerite traits- you are not competitive.

    It seems odd they would opt for this anti-offspec, anti-alt approach. Personally I play a Druid, and most of the time my preferred PvE and PvP specs don't align. Usually this isn't a problem, at least it wasn't until BFA. I have to imagine there are more players out there who also prefer a secondary spec for PvP.

    Are they eventually adding back in Templates?
    Because it is an MMORPG where you get stronger with gear. Otherwise there is no reason to get gear.
    If you don't like the RPG aspect you can always play SuperSmashBros or CounterStrike or League of Legend...
    But don't play an RPG game to ask to remove the rpg part -.-

  17. #17
    Templates need to be added back, minus that ilvl scaling bullshit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    Because it is an MMORPG where you get stronger with gear. Otherwise there is no reason to get gear.
    If you don't like the RPG aspect you can always play SuperSmashBros or CounterStrike or League of Legend...
    But don't play an RPG game to ask to remove the rpg part -.-
    Your argument gives on a limited definition of RPG. There is no reason why a RPG can't be about skill.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentless View Post
    As a 2600 2s and 3s and hero of the horde player, templates made it pretty great for any alt I made to still push for a quick 2k and not feel gimped for several months. Hope you enjoy stomping low geared players now with your superior pve trinkets and 'skill' ������
    Oh yes, the alt falacy. I don't give a shit about your alts.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Templates need to be added back, minus that ilvl scaling bullshit.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Your argument gives on a limited definition of RPG. There is no reason why a RPG can't be about skill.
    The concept of RPG is that after you killed this very strong dragon, you get rewarded with better gear that makes you be able to kill similar dragon more easily. Another dude who has no chance of killing the same dragon should not be as strong as you when you fight eachother.
    We only grind gear to be stronger...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    The concept of RPG is that after you killed this very strong dragon, you get rewarded with better gear that makes you be able to kill similar dragon more easily. Another dude who has no chance of killing the same dragon should not be as strong as you when you fight eachother.
    We only grind gear to be stronger...
    The concept that you push. It's basically saying because it's always been done this way so it has to be done this way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •