7+ Year Old Account

Pets basic attack doesn't hit as much as it should. Bug?

I noticed today that my pets basic attack is hitting significantly lower than it should be. I understand that armor is a thing but I did some tests on a dummy and I have noticed a difference in damage reduction after armor from my other physical spells.

Cobra Shot tooltip = 3118
    Cobra Shot hits = 2183

70% of 3118 = 2183

So the dummy has 30% armor

Pets basic attack tooltip = 3904 + 100% with additional focus cost. So 7808
    Pets basic attack hits = 3612 with the 100% increased dmg.

70% of 7808 = 5465
    46% of 7808 = 3612

Attacked the same dummy, yet the pet attack didn't do as much as it should have. Instead it did 46% damage instead of 70% damage.

Is anyone else seeing the same results? Is there a hidden nerf on the pet attacks that we don't know about or have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    I noticed today that my pets basic attack is hitting significantly lower than it should be. I understand that armor is a thing but I did some tests on a dummy and I have noticed a difference in damage reduction after armor from my other physical spells.

Cobra Shot tooltip = 3118
    Cobra Shot hits = 2183

70% of 3118 = 2183

So the dummy has 30% armor

Pets basic attack tooltip = 3904 + 100% with additional focus cost. So 7808
    Pets basic attack hits = 3612 with the 100% increased dmg.

70% of 7808 = 5465
    46% of 7808 = 3612

Attacked the same dummy, yet the pet attack didn't do as much as it should have. Instead it did 46% damage instead of 70% damage.

Is anyone else seeing the same results? Is there a hidden nerf on the pet attacks that we don't know about or have I missed something?

Might be cuz you have warmode on so the pet nerfs are on for you??

All I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Undustas View Post

All I can think of.
    wow that would be ultra shitty, though I think the damage nerf only applies when hitting players and in this case maybe dummies also

Deleted
    You running animal companion? That reduces pet damage by 40%, dunno if it alters tooltip.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    You running animal companion? That reduces pet damage by 40%, dunno if it alters tooltip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undustas View Post

All I can think of.
    No warmode on and i'm not using animal companion

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like it's the case with Kill Command aswell, its doing 61% damage instead of 70%. I don't think the spells are following the armor rule and instead have a fixed percentage of how much they actually do. Seems a bit stupid that they would do this though but then again, this is Blizzard.

Deleted
    Maybe its bugged? Would not be surprised if warmode damage numbers transfered into pve like dungeons and raids. With all the bugs in the expansion this might be the case.

Yep I just tested this on the Raider's Training Dummy in Boralus and I get similar numbers.

Cobra Shot tooltip says 3092, it deals 2164, which is 70.0% of the tooltip.
    Multi Shot tooltip says 614, it deals 429, which is 69.9% of the tooltip.
    Chimaera Shot tooltip says 4433, it deals 4433, which is 100.0% of the tooltip.
    Stomp tooltip says 3033, it deals 1593, which is 52.5% of the tooltip.
    Kill Command tooltip says 7822, it deals 4912, which is 62.8% of the tooltip.
    Bite tooltip says 7742 (after applying 100% damage boost), it deals 3832, which is 49.5% of the tooltip.

It seems like the damage that's caused by the character is consistent with the tooltips, but when it's the pet doing the damage, the tooltips are all over the place.

One thing I noticed is that when I ate some mastery food, the tooltip for Kill Command updated (increased), whereas neither the Bite nor Stomp tooltips updated, however their damage did increase when I tested them (despite the tooltips not increasing). This means that people with a higher Mastery would register higher Stomp/Bite damage values relative to their tooltip values, which would make it seem like they were ignoring more armour (compared to someone with low Mastery), when in fact it's just due to the tooltips not updating to reflect Mastery. This doesn't explain why the damage caused by Bite/Stomp is lower than expected based on the tooltips though (if Mastery was properly included in the tooltips, the damage dealt % relative to the tooltip would become even lower than it is now), but it does suggest that something is wrong with the tooltips for Bite/Stomp.

Incidentally, unlike with Mastery, gaining Versatility did increase the tooltip damage for Bite/Stomp (along with all other tooltips). Switching in/out of Aspect of the Beast also updated the Bite tooltip.
    Last edited by Turtel; 2018-12-07 at 10:39 PM.