Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

What's more important in life than money?

Money buys happiness, keeps you alive, and what drives life itself. I live a shitty life and only love and have one other person in it (I disowned or am estranged from the rest of a family), and I constantly place faith in and value money above all else. I only truly feel alive and happy when absorbed into escapism through games and various other mediums and understand what sustains my hobbies and happiness by extension is money. I live and work only to sustain that escapism and those hobbies.

I just can't fathom people that claim there is something or things in life more important than money. Like, what is it? Not even counting what I wrote, money sustains your very life obviously through the best healthcare and food. People with excessive ambition and wealth can also make their wildest fantasies come true, do whatever they want, and live carefree lives.

Cats

/10 cats

15+ Year Old Account
    Power.

/10char

Love is more important than money and will give you a great deal more happiness than hobbies if you can find it and more importantly sustain it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in my experience chasing money does not lead to happiness, and the very wealthy are not particularly happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulver View Post
    Love is more important than money and will give you a great deal more happiness than hobbies if you can find it and more importantly sustain it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in my experience chasing money does not lead to happiness, and the very wealthy are not particularly happy.
    I feel like the very wealthy claiming they aren't happy are just looking for attention because it's so ridiculous to be unhappy if you have won the greatest struggle of life and can do or have whatever you want through buying it. Just find or invest into a hobby.

I agree with a lot of what you said. But if that's true, how do you explain why many rich and successful people, such as many music stars or other rich celebrities, either kill themselves outright, or have drinking/drug problems (presumably to self-medicate unhappiness)? I don't have the answer to that. It's one of those things that baffles most of us who don't have what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said. But if that's true, how do you explain why many rich and successful people, such as many music stars or other rich celebrities, either kill themselves outright, or have drinking/drug problems (presumably to self-medicate unhappiness)? I don't have the answer to that. It's one of those things that baffles most of us who don't have what they have.
    it's because those people concern themselves with what others think of them or feel detached from society instead of going into peaceful seclusion.

Naturally someone that as misanthrophic and emotionally burned out as me wouldn't even have this issue. In fact, my ideal vision of living is having enough money to never leave a big house that sustains me until the end of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    feeling happy.
    money buys happiness. To name a few, video games, all those expensive exotic foreign interests like figurines, anime BD releases, cars, houses, traveling, the best food.

Unless you're joking.

Happiness, although money makes life significantly easier it can also expose those who have plenty to new problems otherwise obfuscated by the stuggles of ordinary life. Before I was wealthy I thought getting rich would be the solution most of my problems but now I've learned that no matter how much I have or how well a thing goes I will always feel as if it could've been more and it could've gone better. My unwavering quest for perfection in all things that is life is my greatest obstacle and no matter how rich and powerful I become it will always be there like some kind of black hole. It was always a part of me but money is the thing that provided me with the time and opportunities to really face my inner demons.

7+ Year Old Account
    For me my pets, what matters the most to me is that my dogs, cats and birds are as happy as can be. They mean the world to be and I always do whats in their best interest.

Sure games, figures and that are awsome to have but that happiness does not last long. But for me the happiest I have ever been has Always been due to the happieness I have brought others.
    Scarlet Briar: Let's play "Giant club vs. Overripe Fruit." I'll be the club.

Scarlet Briar: Careful now. Death by cannonball would be funny, but killing you myself is actual fun.

Deleted
    1. family

and

2. whatever activity makes you want to get up in the morning

Ive read many places that at about 80k a year per individual is the sweet spot as far as finances as at more you start to run into the adage of more money more problems. 80k would put you somewhere in the top 70 to 80 percent of Americans. So would probably be a comfortable spot. Money helps you get stuff that makes you happy but money can't buy everything. No amount of money could replace the joy I get from raising my son and having him around. But it does enable me to buy stuff for him or provide experiences which make him happy which makes me happy.

No matter how much you have you get used to it and soon it becomes the new norm. Poor people might scoff at that but its true.

Nothing. Money is needed for pretty much everything.

There's tons of things I want to do that would make me happy, but I can't do any of those things because I am perpetually broke.

Money often only makes it easier to avoid certain hazards in life, to circumvent stuff.

What makes you happy first and foremost is the determination to be happy no matter what. All the money in the world can't give you that.
    If you make your happiness dependend on other people or on money, you are a poor soul, no matter how much money you might have.

Also, to be alive and healthy. No money in the world can keep you from getting hit by a truck tomorrow or shot by some idiot in the street, catching a fatal disease
    that can't be cured. Just look at Steve Jobs. No money in the world could save him from cancer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Money buys happiness, keeps you alive, and what drives life itself. I live a shitty life and only love and have one other person in it (I disowned or am estranged from the rest of a family), and I constantly place faith in and value money above all else. I only truly feel alive and happy when absorbed into escapism through games and various other mediums and understand what sustains my hobbies and happiness by extension is money. I live and work only to sustain that escapism and those hobbies.

I just can't fathom people that claim there is something or things in life more important than money. Like, what is it? Not even counting what I wrote, money sustains your very life obviously through the best healthcare and food. People with excessive ambition and wealth can also make their wildest fantasies come true, do whatever they want, and live carefree lives.
    Everything, that is more important than money, can be bought with money.

5+ Year Old Account
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    money buys happiness. To name a few, video games, all those expensive exotic foreign interests like figurines, anime BD releases, cars, houses, traveling, the best food.

Unless you're joking.
    Money doesn't buy my wife or friends.