Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well, as a very fortunate person I'd give away my money before my health, pets and loved ones, that's for sure. Being rich is nice enough, no doubt, but money alone does not buy happiness. I've always been around lots of either very poor people or very rich people, and I think it works thus: the poor long for things they can't have, and that's mostly material things. The rich also long for things they can't have, because that's human nature, and that means things that can't be bought, because those that can are already in a rich person's possession. In the end both are left longing, and again, while being rich is a nice perk, it's not nearly enough to be happy. My closest friend killed himself two years ago, and he was even richer than I am, by a long shot - I am merely "fortunate", he reached "Scrooge McDuck" levels of wealth, being ranked among the top 300 worldwide. Evidently not only he wasn't happy, but thought happiness beyond his reach no matter what.

Money buying necessities and entertainment doesn't make it the most important thing in life, even if we accept your premise that money can buy happiness. It makes money a means towards those things. You've conflated means and ends. Having or spending the most money does not directly translate into having the most happiness. And happiness is not even the only measure of what's important in life. A junkie can be happy 24/7 until they die, so I don't think that's a good metric. Making one's wildest fantasies come true, the well-being others be damned, is not an important thing in life.

So you say you've been estranged from your family.

Deleted
    In my opinion the only thing that is more important is not being alone. We are social beings. When you are alone all the stuff you can buy with wealth won't make you happy for long. Love is important too but you don't have to have it. A good friend to spend time with often is enough already. But then money comes into play. With money you can be yourself. Do what you like to do. Very important. You realize that as soon as you are without money for a longer period of time. And after being alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    the power to ruthlessly crush your enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    Money doesn't buy my wife or friends.
    everyone has a price.
    true love does not exist.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the power to ruthlessly crush your enemies.
    With 22K posts it seems like your "enemies" mainly sit far far away behind computer screens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    feeling happy.
    happiness is a lie.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Power.

/10char
    Which often comes from money.

The more importants thing in this life is something money can not buy. Love and what happens to you when you die.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    it's because those people concern themselves with what others think of them or feel detached from society instead of going into peaceful seclusion.

Naturally someone that as misanthrophic and emotionally burned out as me wouldn't even have this issue. In fact, my ideal vision of living is having enough money to never leave a big house that sustains me until the end of days.
    this is like it is coming from myself, but i value my freetime more then money, with that said i need to work to get money and money buys me freetime.

money buys happiness. To name a few, video games, all those expensive exotic foreign interests like figurines, anime BD releases, cars, houses, traveling, the best food.
    Unless you're joking.
    I have money enough to do my thing.
    Still doesn't make me any happier.
    But I'm hardly a "normie".

Pretty much everything. We exchange money with what we need/desire, so everything you buy is by defining more important than the money you spent on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

everyone has a price.
    true love does not exist.
    So edgy.

Did you ever stop to think maybe your personality was the problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    So edgy.

nope it's other people like you.

So edgy.
    He'd have to have a personality to begin with.
    It's just a internet bot at this point.

nope it's other people like you.
    Huh, well I guess I'll just continue having fulfilling interpersonal relationships.

Money buys happiness, keeps you alive, and what drives life itself. I live a shitty life and only love and have one other person in it (I disowned or am estranged from the rest of a family), and I constantly place faith in and value money above all else. I only truly feel alive and happy when absorbed into escapism through games and various other mediums and understand what sustains my hobbies and happiness by extension is money. I live and work only to sustain that escapism and those hobbies.

I just can't fathom people that claim there is something or things in life more important than money. Like, what is it? Not even counting what I wrote, money sustains your very life obviously through the best healthcare and food. People with excessive ambition and wealth can also make their wildest fantasies come true, do whatever they want, and live carefree lives.
    A sense of fulfillment, finding a purpose in life , making true friends and finding love, are things that are not based on how much money you have nor does it mean you cannot have them if you have money, it simply means that they're not connected to money.

You could be the richest man in the world without a single real friend, not having lived a full life/ never having found your purpose and not having someone who loves you for who you are.

Striving to becoming rich or making more money =/= having a purpose and living a full life, money is often a means to an end but it's understandable that everyone gets absorbed into the idea that money is the solution to all needs and problems in life, it usually is for the majority of things ( tangible things), but you cannot buy hope, faith nor love.

Now whether these things are more important to you than money is up to you, generally speaking though, the people who are rich say that there are things more important than money because they have already overcome that hurdle and don't have to worry about it and people who are living day to day struggling to survive will often say money is the most important thing.

In my opinion a healthy balance between the two will often lead the most satisfying result.

Everything else.
    Money is just a tool.

Deleted
    Money buys happiness, keeps you alive, and what drives life itself. I live a shitty life and only love and have one other person in it (I disowned or am estranged from the rest of a family), and I constantly place faith in and value money above all else. I only truly feel alive and happy when absorbed into escapism through games and various other mediums and understand what sustains my hobbies and happiness by extension is money. I live and work only to sustain that escapism and those hobbies.

I just can't fathom people that claim there is something or things in life more important than money. Like, what is it? Not even counting what I wrote, money sustains your very life obviously through the best healthcare and food. People with excessive ambition and wealth can also make their wildest fantasies come true, do whatever they want, and live carefree lives.
    you dont need money to survive...

Money doesn't fix depression or autism.
    Or many of the other diseases/disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Money doesn't fix depression or autism.
    Or many of the other diseases/disabilities.
    it does fix depression. Autism though is a different, serious mental disorder and shouldn't even count.