Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Classics biggest problem was always....

The sheer consumption of time. I played classic as a raider on a 5 night a week schedule with each raid being about 4-5 hours or so. Not to mention farming in between for potions and mats for various items.

While I agree everything was much more meaningful then, I wonder if anyone can really live a balanced life while pushing the latest content.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

The game is known from A to Z and has been theorycrafted to the bones.You won't have to play that much to clean the raids.

Unless you know...they change it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The sheer consumption of time. I played classic as a raider on a 5 night a week schedule with each raid being about 4-5 hours or so. Not to mention farming in between for potions and mats for various items.

While I agree everything was much more meaningful then, I wonder if anyone can really live a balanced life while pushing the latest content.
    Well, unlike then, classic doesn't hold any progression. It is just museum doors opening up. If you were to treat it like back then and compare it to current players, I do not believe people would be able to find the wanting of going through those days again.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted

it takes about two 3-4 hour raid nights to clear all 40man raids up to and including AQ 40 with a semi good guild on the most blizzlike server nowdays, this comming from experience thru server 3rd c'thun, this time it wont be about "grind forever everyday raid" the really endgame will be speedrunning against the best guilds that will be the true endgame.

to put into perspective the raids MC/BWL/AQ speed (worldrecord?) atm is around 20min MC, around 30-40mins BWL and around 1.5 hour AQ, the AQ one is really uncertain as i saw it happening with my own eyes and this was WITHOUT worldbuffs. So true endgame which will keep classic alive a long time will be speedrunning just as any really old game that you can speedrun somehow imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    People just raidlog in Classic now.

It's only a time sink while you're leveling and grinding your pre-raid BiS to get a raid spot. Once you're there it's no more time consuming than retail.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Playing classic without pushing the latest content is still more fun than retail to me.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    People just raidlog in Classic now.

It's only a time sink while you're leveling and grinding your pre-raid BiS to get a raid spot. Once you're there it's no more time consuming than retail.
    And you don't have to grind for AP in Classic, which is a big plus for me
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Legion was more time consuming than classic.

Classic grinds at least had an end point.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    And you don't have to grind for AP in Classic, which is a big plus for me
    rep grind for MC essence though

We now have the benefit of hindsight. We know what classes to stack, we know the mechanics, we know what talents are best, we know the best places to farm consumables, etc. We have literally been there and done that which will make the game feel so much smaller than it did 14 years ago. You wont need to play that much because you'll be twice as efficient.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    rep grind for MC essence though
    I'd rather grind rep than AP, at least it comes to a halt. This AP system is crazy though, I don't want to imagine what will the AP requirements for N'yalotha (or w/e the final BfA raid is) be. Even now, you can't fully unlock Uldir traits unless you grind AP like a maniac...
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account

must of been in a pretty shit guild then, even with MC Bwl aq40 out you can still do it all in 3 days or 2. (bwl+mc in 1 night+ aq in the 2nd

by time naxx is out you do bwl+aq and pug MC

Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    it takes about two 3-4 hour raid nights to clear all 40man raids up to and including AQ 40 with a semi good guild on the most blizzlike server nowdays, this comming from experience thru server 3rd c'thun, this time it wont be about "grind forever everyday raid" the really endgame will be speedrunning against the best guilds that will be the true endgame.

to put into perspective the raids MC/BWL/AQ speed (worldrecord?) atm is around 20min MC, around 30-40mins BWL and around 1.5 hour AQ, the AQ one is really uncertain as i saw it happening with my own eyes and this was WITHOUT worldbuffs. So true endgame which will keep classic alive a long time will be speedrunning just as any really old game that you can speedrun somehow imo.
    The "most blizzlike server" has still some significant core and spell Bugs that make bosses significantly easier (everything from auto attacks, to how Mobs receive Damage, glancing Blows, to spell Bugs such as with MC etc). These core bugs may never be fixed since some of them might require a full rewrite of some parts of Mangos (pserver devs usually just deal with scripts, db and just Scratch the Surface of the core).

So that comparison isn't really fair. Also These Speedruns were done with 1.12 spells, gear and consumables AND without all the limitations that previous versions had. We don't know exactly whether WoW Classic will just be 1.12 or have Progression similar to how Nostalrius worked.

Funny, I read the title and this wasn't what I was expecting. You can play every single night if you want, you just don't have to. The number one guild on my server were not college kids, they were mostly men and women with jobs, the only major commitment I ever heard about was how they decided to take a week off work to clear Naxx during the day avoiding instance lag and getting as much time on KT as possible. I actually thought the idea of taking time off work to play a computer game was absolutely nuts until TBC launched and most of my guild took 2 weeks off work to level up.

I cleared Naxx on a PServer doing 3 x 4hrs raid nights. Prior to Naxx release, we cleared all other 40man content in 2 nights. Other really hardcore guilds could do it in 1 night.

So the time investment is considerably smaller now

Deleted
    It took me until a week ago to hit 120 in BFA, and I don't know how long it's been out but I play very little these days.

Just hitting 60 for me in classic at that pace is like a year, easy. Look forward to it!

10+ Year Old Account

be a herbalist and miner do open world pvp while gathering and buy everything

- - - Updated - - -

argus took 1 hour per zone to complete collecting chests and doing relevant world quests and travel time and fight time and if you did arena or raids that's an extra 2-3 hours waiting around to do it and that's not including the extra 30min added per zone if you are collecting every ore and herb

by your logic classic was faster
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

10+ Year Old Account

On that schedule, you'll do Ony, MC and BWL in one night.

Raiding will be the thing people do one or two nights a week if that. Mostly Classic will be AltCraft with lots of leveling and PvPing, lvl 29 twink times, etc.

You get out what you put in.

After you level, get your pre-raid gear, and a bit of consumables you're ok.

Unless you want to grind for 14 if you have your pre-raid you don't have to spend that much time online if you don't want to. People that I play with on private servers (which is a pretty close representation of what Classic was/will be like, idc what people say) they just become massively rich. If you spend time farming herbs, instances, whatever it's just a cumulative effect.

I had 1000's of consumes for AQ/Naxx ready almost a year before the instances released because I knew what I needed to farm. Back in the day you didn't know until you got smacked down by some boss that dealt shadow damage that you needed a bunch of shadow pots. So all the time you spent online not farming those mats before were essentially wasted.

People will be more efficient with their time grinding/farming now that they can look up exactly what they need so when something comes out you don't have to scramble last minute to acquire it.