View Poll Results: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

277 63.39%
  • I did not enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

160 36.61%
    I do enjoy it but I can't help comparing how Wonder Woman is still the better heroine movie than Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinfreak View Post
    I do enjoy it but I can't help comparing how Wonder Woman is still the better heroine movie than Captain Marvel.
    Well that's just not fair - Wonder Woman is the defintion of the strong female character, practically the first choice, and Danvers was written to her spec. Of course she'll pale a little. For her play-up, CM is not one of the primary heroes of the Marvel universe, where WW is in the DCU.
    Wolfie Pandaren Shaman - Pet Collection - Mount Collection
    Pinfire Dwarf Hunter - SaintJoan Draenei Paladin - Sadiefalk Human Rogue - Hamartanein Dwarf Warlock
    Lotusdream Pandaren Monk - Aponyia Tauren Shaman

Captain Marvel passed the $1 billion global mark on Tuesday.
    https://twitter.com/BORReport/status...72023391391744
    I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again 'I know that that’s a tree', pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: 'This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.

I don't know what more ridiculous... the people judging the movie based on the shit Brie was spewing or the ones going "TAKE DAT INCELS!", jesus fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinfreak View Post
    I can see arguments for that, but Captain Marvel, to my mind, benefited from a more coherent third act, and the buddy-cop dynamic between Danvers and Fury beat the rather forced romance between Diana and Steve by a mile (don't get me wrong, I liked Chris Pine's Trevor just fine, and I think he did an excellent job with the character, but it still felt forced by the plot).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I can see arguments for that, but Captain Marvel, to my mind, benefited from a more coherent third act, and the buddy-cop dynamic between Danvers and Fury beat the rather forced romance between Diana and Steve by a mile (don't get me wrong, I liked Chris Pine's Trevor just fine, and I think he did an excellent job with the character, but it still felt forced by the plot).
    Everything past the conversation between Diana and Ares in the observation tower in the final act is complete and utter nonsense, and ignores everything leading up to it. The movie was great until that last section of the final act;

1> Diana's whole character arc was to be horrified by the violence humanity does to itself. The final note is Ares pointing out it isn't even him; they do it to themselves.

2> Ares has revealed himself as a master manipulator. He's also literally the God of War, and the only extant God because he fought all the other Gods at once and killed every single one, because that's War, and he's the fucking God of it.

3> Diana's response to this is to get angry and try and kill him, even though he's not causing the war; the entire motive she had prior to this. Why? Because he's smug?

4> They fight, Trevor dies in a completely unrelated noble sacrifice, Diana goes fucking apeshit and murders a whole bunch of German soldiers just for being there because she's angry her almost-boyfriend did a noble thing. Seriously, this whole scene should be seen as horrifying, not noble.

5> Diana and Ares fight some more, until Diana out-wars the God of War because fuck you. Literal deus ex machina; she can beat him because TADA, she's actually a God, and has powers she never knew she had and which were never even hinted at any point prior to their use in this climactic scene. Ares also stops being smart for some reason. Just fucking argh.

The rest of the film was fantastic. Everything past that conversation in the observation tower? Complete dogshit. It only gets worse on repeat viewings, too.

To bring this back, I think WW would have been better with Trevor having a crush, but Diana never noticing. They push romantic sidelines into these films for no reason other than they feel it's needed, and it isn't. And the team behind Captain Marvel knew this. There isn't even a hint of a romance subplot in the film. Not even a bad one she overcomes. And the film's stronger for it. Really, basically none of the Marvel heroes are defined by romantic entanglements. Vision and Scarlet Witch are strongly their own people, and were established separately; their subsequent romance feels natural. And for the rest, the romantic subplots inform character (Hawkeye and his family, for instance), or are there mostly for humour (Tony and Pepper Potts. It works well, but it's never not played for humor.) They're never a real focus of the story, whereas they tried to center Wonder Woman entirely on her relationship with Trevor. And it falls apart, because they didn't really have one.

If the poll had asked if I enjoyed it, neutral or disliked it I had picked neutral. Saying I enjoyed it would have been an overstatement. I didn't hate it either, but it was absolutely, "eh, I guess that was a thing". It was good enough to fill a couple of hours with my buddies and we certainly got alot of exercise with all the shoulder shrugs we did afterwards. But that isn't really enjoyment based on the film. It was also nowhere near bad enough to shit-talk it and get fun that way. Just very middling, really, even for the average marvel film. Liked some of the performances but that's not enough really. Jackson is just an awsome guy, but the story is kinda dumb and disapointing here for him, one or two entirely unneccesary retcons as well. Cat was cute too. Would cast again.

Okay, only nitpick, and I've been seeing this in the Endgame promos too: Unclench your fists woman! Yeesh. Yeah I get that she fires her proton blasts while her hands are a fist (as opposed to say, Iron man firing energy blasts open-palm) but her hands are almost ALWAYS fists. It's kinda weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "Goodness is not goodness that seeks advantage. Good is good in the final hour, in the deepest pit without hope, without witness, without reward. Virtue is only virtue in extremis."
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Finally watched it tonight. I thought it was pretty good, and Brie didn’t come off bitchy in it - a little bigheaded but not the ‘no smiling bitch’ a lot of people (including myself) thought she would be from the trailers.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Everything past the conversation between Diana and Ares in the observation tower in the final act is complete and utter nonsense, and ignores everything leading up to it. The movie was great until that last section of the final act;

1> Diana's whole character arc was to be horrified by the violence humanity does to itself. The final note is Ares pointing out it isn't even him; they do it to themselves.

2> Ares has revealed himself as a master manipulator. He's also literally the God of War, and the only extant God because he fought all the other Gods at once and killed every single one, because that's War, and he's the fucking God of it.

3> Diana's response to this is to get angry and try and kill him, even though he's not causing the war; the entire motive she had prior to this. Why? Because he's smug?

4> They fight, Trevor dies in a completely unrelated noble sacrifice, Diana goes fucking apeshit and murders a whole bunch of German soldiers just for being there because she's angry her almost-boyfriend did a noble thing. Seriously, this whole scene should be seen as horrifying, not noble.

5> Diana and Ares fight some more, until Diana out-wars the God of War because fuck you. Literal deus ex machina; she can beat him because TADA, she's actually a God, and has powers she never knew she had and which were never even hinted at any point prior to their use in this climactic scene. Ares also stops being smart for some reason. Just fucking argh.

The rest of the film was fantastic. Everything past that conversation in the observation tower? Complete dogshit. It only gets worse on repeat viewings, too.

To bring this back, I think WW would have been better with Trevor having a crush, but Diana never noticing. They push romantic sidelines into these films for no reason other than they feel it's needed, and it isn't. And the team behind Captain Marvel knew this. There isn't even a hint of a romance subplot in the film. Not even a bad one she overcomes. And the film's stronger for it. Really, basically none of the Marvel heroes are defined by romantic entanglements. Vision and Scarlet Witch are strongly their own people, and were established separately; their subsequent romance feels natural. And for the rest, the romantic subplots inform character (Hawkeye and his family, for instance), or are there mostly for humour (Tony and Pepper Potts. It works well, but it's never not played for humor.) They're never a real focus of the story, whereas they tried to center Wonder Woman entirely on her relationship with Trevor. And it falls apart, because they didn't really have one.
    She doesnt deus ex machina Ares. She literally beats Ares with love. Trevor shows Diana love, in a personal way and in a humankind way via his self sacrifice. Once she realizes Ares understanding of humanity is limited, she has more complete knowledge and bests Ares immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    She doesnt deus ex machina Ares. She literally beats Ares with love. Trevor shows Diana love, in a personal way and in a humankind way via his self sacrifice. Once she realizes Ares understanding of humanity is limited, she has more complete knowledge and bests Ares immediately.
    A giant lightning bolt that makes Ares blow up isn't "love".

Murdering a bunch of German soldiers because she's angry at losing Trevor isn't "love".

And no, I'm not mischaracterizing that last bit. She sees Trevor die, she screams in anger/loss/frustration, explodes with power, murders a bunch of Germans.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-07 at 08:25 PM.

Pretty sure her powers are hinted at earlier in the movie in the "training montage" thingy. See a shockwave thingy there ( been a while, can't quite remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Mellomania View Post
    Pretty sure her powers are hinted at earlier in the movie in the "training montage" thingy. See a shockwave thingy there ( been a while, can't quite remember).
    The shockwave thing, sure. The "absorb lightning and then blast it back"? That's not even hinted at before the time she uses it on Ares.

The shockwave thing, sure. The "absorb lightning and then blast it back"? That's not even hinted at before the time she uses it on Ares.
    True that, they weren't very good with the hinting there.

I finally watched the movie and it wasn't nearly as bad as people said it was. I'd give it a 7.5/10, because there were some things I felt could've done better. In the end, the trailer really didn't do the movie justice and did not show the lead actress at her best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    "The fact that game was rigged from the start was also rigged from the start".
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Let's say, for example, that you're an intellectual. You begin gaming and are now surrounded by crass, anti-intellectual gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I don't know what more ridiculous... the people judging the movie based on the shit Brie was spewing or the ones going "TAKE DAT INCELS!", jesus fuck.
    its almost like people have standards for the film actors they go to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Usually those standards are performance based(unless the person is a predator or the like), but we all know how you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

saving space
    Trevor is something she has never seen before and behaves unlike what she was told of course she was going to want to bang him. The whole point to it is that its a love lost that never gets completely fulfilled and also gives her a tie to humanity so she will never forget that there are people worth saving. Also its alot more accurate to the comics then all the changes they did with captain marvel.

Yeah the whole Ares killing all the gods and Zeus making Diana as a weapon was pretty dumb. I could only see it possibly making sense if Ares just goaded/influenced everyone into killing each other and Zeus only realized it to late to do anything in his weakend state and the human/amazon part of Diana is actually what makes her capable of taking on and killing Ares as she isn't restricted to one gimmick like most gods. The lighting thing I think is just to show she is the daughter of Zeus while her anger was to show the Amazons are not these perfect beings they are just like humans also.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    That makes no fucking sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Usually those standards are performance based(unless the person is a predator or the like), but we all know how you do.
    So if their a sexual predator their bad, but if their entitled sexiest snowflakes its okay. Gotcha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    That makes no fucking sense.
    It wouldn't to you, I can tell.