View Poll Results: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    277 63.39%
  • I did not enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    160 36.61%
Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
54
104
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    I'm not sure if we'll see him in the MCU given that GotG might not happen at this point, he'd deffo be in the top 3 powerful characters of the MCU if he were. Then again Vision was god level power in civil war and A2 and he was really weak in IW, and cap went from pretty strong in cap 1 and the first avengers to somehow being able to beat ironman - who went from losing to two humans to holding his own with thanos. So basically I'm not sure how they do power levels in the MCU because they aren't very consistent
    Warlock's powers don't solely rely on the Soul Gem, as Vision's did on the Mind Gem in the MCU. Vision was weak in IW because the plot reduced him to just being the housing for the gem. Even in CW and AoU he only uses his density control once or twice, because he could basically evade any harm by just shifting density.
    Cap is probably the only MCU character whoms powers and growth curve have been properly displayed. in FA and Avengers he's kinda useless, but after more time in the field he slowly fathoms what his peak strength can actually achieve. In the comics he is able to hold his own against Iron Man and Black Panther. Remember, Iron Man had the upper hand in CW until that cliche moment where he turns around to kick Bucky whose obviously distracting him.

    Core MCU rule it isn't as much about consistency as it's nerfing characters so they can fit in and have guys like Cap not seem completely pointless.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    mmm hopefully Brie Larson is good in it, not to knock on her acting but she doesn't strike me as a military type at all. she doesn't seem to have that demeanor or presence IDK.
    The real question is what do you think of her charisma because it seems like she's expected to be the new Robert Downy Jr. of the MCU going forward, the cohesive element that interconnects a lot of the films as well as replacing Cap as the Avengers leader.

  3. #63
    Elemental Lord Sierra85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    8,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    If a hero is too flawless, too perfect then, then you can't relate to them.
    superman is pretty relateable.
    Hi

  4. #64
    I liked Fury and young Coulson in the trailer. The rest was pretty underwhelming. I'm not that familiar with the comic character (meaning I never heard from her until the end of Infinity War), but this looked extremly bland.

  5. #65
    I see, the people who don't even read comics already whining.
    7777

  6. #66
    The Lightbringer Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    superman is pretty relateable.
    Clark Kent is relate-able, Superman not so much.

    This looks good, I loved that the first shot of the teaser is of a Blockbuster. You totally know it's the 90's then.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Warlock's powers don't solely rely on the Soul Gem, as Vision's did on the Mind Gem in the MCU. Vision was weak in IW because the plot reduced him to just being the housing for the gem. Even in CW and AoU he only uses his density control once or twice, because he could basically evade any harm by just shifting density.
    To be fair, when he got stabbed from behind the first time, he said it stopped his phasing. Wanda asked how that was possible and he said it shouldn't be. So they didn't really ignore his density control so much as the Black Order's weapon jacked it up.


    Regarding trailer: Seeing Mar-Vell suited up was my favorite part. As another mentioned, punching the old lady was a highlight for me as well. I'd have dug the scene of her hanging upside down restrained for being a cool first reveal of the full costume, but we'd seen promo photos already. I still have low interest in the film, though. The majority of my height of collecting X-Men and Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel was in a coma for a long time.

    However....

    If Marvel wove her lack of memories to include time as Ms. Marvel and being in a coma? Absolute brilliance as it lays a foundation for them to have a properly powerful Rogue in the future if they wished. It would also set the groundwork for her to have been Ms Marvel and allow the hero fangirling of Khan to take the moniker in the future.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2018-09-18 at 01:25 PM.

  8. #68
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Black Panther was relatively obscure for non comic book fans and look how well that did.
    It was hyped a lot by the SJW crowd though, same as with Wonder Women. It easily made the news every day for weeks.

  9. #69
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    superman is pretty relateable.
    Not really, he's an alien who's kinda 'lucky' to have crash landed on a planet whoms sun boosts his physical attributes a thousandfold.

    What makes Superman relatable is that he has characteristical flaws. Most of the time he's a naive boyscout who does good in the hope that people will follow his example. When multiple interpretations of the character realise that's probably never gnna happen, he's quick to use his powers to impose his totalitarian will to force people to behave. This and other conflicts within his character is what make him relateable, not the actual flawnessness and perfection of his power.

    If Captain Marvel is flawless in both characteristic and power level, that's where it stops for most.

  10. #70
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    25,195
    Felt like a pretty "safe" trailer. Didn't swing at all in a girl-power direction, we don't see her nuking planets, we got some hints of other characters we know and love, so yeah, felt like a safe, straight-forward trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It was hyped a lot by the SJW crowd though, same as with Wonder Women. It easily made the news every day for weeks.
    Oh definitely. Even celebrities and media helped. I wonder if the same will happen to this movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    superman is pretty relateable.
    He is more relatable now yes. But the older and earlier versions of him, not so much. He definitely has become more human. Heroes are more interesting when they have limits and flaws.

  12. #72
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    To be fair, when he got stabbed from behind the first time, he said it stopped his phasing. Wanda asked how that was possible and he said it shouldn't be. So they didn't really ignore his density control so much as the Black Order's weapon jacked it up.
    Yeah I caught that, but some cannon-fodder henchman (which is what the Black Order were reduced to in IW) stabbing him with a glaive isn't enough of an explanation for me, especially when it's clear that it happened just so the Mind Stone wouldn't be permanently out of Thanos' reach.

    I mean, they could've just had Thanos use the Reality/Space Stone to stop Vision from shifting density by the time they came face to face?

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Nobody likes Mary-Sues. If a hero is too flawless, too perfect then, then you can't relate to them. Calling someone who doesn't want to see Captain Marvel turn into a Mary-Sue a misogynist and keyboard warrior makes you look young and immature.
    Where exactly in that trailer do you get an indication they will make her a mary sue? There is none, you clearly misunderstood the rhetoric he was using as to why I called him out for what he so clearly is getting at. Essentially, provide something of substance next time champ

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It was hyped a lot by the SJW crowd though, same as with Wonder Women. It easily made the news every day for weeks.
    Sure, wonder woman and black panther were the first time a minority actor or female actor was the lead in a comic book movie, which might not be a huge deal to you or me, but it's a huge deal to many people. Plus, both of those films were great and as a white dude I didn't feel they were doing the ol' evil white man routine to hype up their heroes.

  14. #74
    Bad trailer with an equally bad hero outfit. So much for post-production making it look better.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Sure, wonder woman and black panther were the first time a minority actor or female actor was the lead in a comic book movie.
    That's not even true, and yet people keep repeating it over and over again. There's no way I'm gonna forget about Spawn and Blade, I love those movies.

    Tbh I still like them more than Wonder Woman and Black Panther.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2018-09-18 at 01:43 PM.

  16. #76
    Elemental Lord Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    8,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    That's not even true, and yet people keep repeating it over and over again. There's no way I'm gonna forget about Spawn and Blade, I love those movies.
    But we will forget about Steel...

    But I agree

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    That's not even true, and yet people keep repeating it over and over again. There's no way I'm gonna forget about Spawn and Blade, I love those movies.

    Tbh I still like them more than Wonder Woman and Black Panther.
    Catwoman exists as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Not really, he's an alien who's kinda 'lucky' to have crash landed on a planet whoms sun boosts his physical attributes a thousandfold.

    What makes Superman relatable is that he has characteristical flaws. Most of the time he's a naive boyscout who does good in the hope that people will follow his example. When multiple interpretations of the character realise that's probably never gnna happen, he's quick to use his powers to impose his totalitarian will to force people to behave. This and other conflicts within his character is what make him relateable, not the actual flawnessness and perfection of his power.

    If Captain Marvel is flawless in both characteristic and power level, that's where it stops for most.
    He wasn’t lucky and he didn’t crash. His father picked Earth specifically because of its yellow sun.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    The real question is what do you think of her charisma because it seems like she's expected to be the new Robert Downy Jr. of the MCU going forward, the cohesive element that interconnects a lot of the films as well as replacing Cap as the Avengers leader.
    She came off bitchy and unapproachable. Not like Robert Downy at all - He’s likeable.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  19. #79
    Herald of the Titans Ratyrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    I'm not sure if we'll see him in the MCU given that GotG might not happen at this point, he'd deffo be in the top 3 powerful characters of the MCU if he were. Then again Vision was god level power in civil war and A2 and he was really weak in IW, and cap went from pretty strong in cap 1 and the first avengers to somehow being able to beat ironman - who went from losing to two humans to holding his own with thanos. So basically I'm not sure how they do power levels in the MCU because they aren't very consistent
    Well "power level" depends on circumstance.

    Must say the trailer didn't do much for me. Not expecting more than average entertainment from this tbh. After the distinct styles of guardians, ragnarok and black panther and the quirky relatability of Homecoming this teaser is a bit generic. Wonder Woman had powerful visuals and a very distinctive score that made it stand out from the get go.

  20. #80
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    25,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    She came off bitchy and unapproachable. Not like Robert Downy at all - He’s likeable.
    In a 1.47 second trailer you were able to tell that of the character?

    Or are you talking about when you met the actress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •