Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 42 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I'm sorry but she said nothing to get the hate from people. What she said was grossly misconstrued by a bunch of white men thinking she wanted them gone.
    She has the very unpleasent characteristic of being by far not as smart and charismatic as she thinks she is. What she says is true, or partially true, the way she says it, however, is insensitive at best, it makes her appear not only incredibly arrogant, but dismissive. And people who feel ignored or discriminated against, no matter if thats actually the case or not, get angry, and respond in kind. Instead of saying "I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color." she should have said "I'd wish for more women of colour to tell me what they think about "A Wrinkle in Time"!" Your colour of skin has no impact on the quality of a movie, and any movie critic worth his salt will be able to make a fair and thorough analysis of a movie and wil be able to tell you what objectivly works and doesn't work in it. Now, different groups of people will have a subjectivly different opinion on movies, but that doesn't take away the validity of objective criticism.

Subjectivly, for me, she's a terrible miscast for the role. From the trailers, I see no passion, I see no power, I see no authority. I see no joy in her eyes, and from the lines she has said in the trailers so far, I don't buy her performance at all. An actor is supposed to sell me the character he's supposed to play, and she fails to make Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers, appealing to me in any way. I've said that befor.

Added to that I have the lingering fear that they'll push her to be the lead in Endgame, coming out of nowhere to save the original Avengers, the ones that have fought for up to 10 years by now, to save the day. I'd like to see the people who fought the fight against Thanos from day 1, so to speak, to overcome him. A final Endgame together. Not some Deus Ex Machina Bullshit that's thrown in in the last 5% of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    she fails to make Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers, appealing to me in any way.
    To be fair, the writers of Carol Danvers haven't done anything to make her appealing either, at least as far back as I can remember.

Good thing se said she doesnt want white males to watch her movies, made the choice even easier.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-23 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    To be fair, the writers of Carol Danvers haven't done anything to make her appealing either, at least as far back as I can remember.
    I'm not familiar with the character outside of the very good "Legendary" Card Game. Or any other Marvel Character from the MCU. I've read a total of two Marvel comic books so far, and all of those after I saw the movies with their respective characters in them. Same with DC, I'd like to add. I've seen all MCU movies since Iron Man, and enjoyed most of them immensly, and all trailers so far got me rather excited. This one doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Like Ang Lee's Hulk? Not while Disney owns Marvel (which is now and forever.) Disney isn't concerned with making art. Every film and product made by Disney is manufactured from a formulaic money making scheme.

Yeah, I know, every movie studio makes movies to make money, but those who hire directors who actually care about making films that challenge their creativity and unleashes their artistic side produce films based on comic books like The Dark Knight trilogy, where a story takes precedent over need for product. Disney has never and will never be interested in hiring directors like that. The few times they did where the directors didn't turn into corporate yes men, production was notable hell.

Look at the new Star Wars movies.
    True. Can you write top 5 your favourite films? I looked a lot interesting such as empire of the sun, limitless etc. Maybe you will offer something new for me

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Good thing se said she doesnt want white males to watch her movies, made the choice even easier.
    Good thing i am not white, ill tell you later how was the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    She literally never said that though.

Pretty funny how all these white men turned out to just be a bunch of white snowflakes who got their little feelings hurt by a crappy actress and have to immediately rush to forums, youtube, etc to cry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    She literally never said that though.

Pretty funny how all these white men turned out to just be a bunch of white snowflakes who got their little feelings hurt by a crappy actress and have to immediately rush to forums, youtube, etc to cry about it.
    Maybe instead of taking everything literally, you should learn to read between the lines. Did she LITERALLY say that she "doesn't want white males to watch her movies"? No, you're right. Was it the ACTUAL message behind her words? Absolutely fucking yes.

Also, funny how whenever women constantly fucking cry about every little thing, real or imaginary, it makes them strong, brave, independent, fighting for what they believe in, yada yada yada. Men do the same? It makes them a bunch of snowflakes, crybabies, whiners, and whatever other buzzwords the leftards can come up with.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-23 at 06:47 PM.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed 
it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male”
    “After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others,” Larson told Brown. “When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”
    I'm pitching in because I find it disingenuous how some people in this thread are pretending that what people are accusing Larson of aren't based exactly on her own words and perspectives.
    Particularly telling is that dismissive "excuses" for the explanations about why that was the case, which come off as very arrogant.

“It just took me using the power that I’ve been given now as Captain Marvel,” Larson added. ”[The role] comes with all these privileges and powers that make me feel uncomfortable because I don’t really need them. … But any uncomfortableness I feel is balanced by the knowledge that it gives me the ability 
to advocate for myself and others.”
    This in particular. It's fairly obvious to anyone honest in their judgement that she was the first to make the movie political when there was absolutely no reason to, and in fact most people detest when this happens.

It's a movie. You're an actress in a role, with the purpose of delivering us viewers a good experience for fun. That is all.

Instead she rambles about "power as Captain Marvel" "privileges and power that make me uncomfortable" "I don't really need but I can use them to advocate"

Seriously, she deserves every ounce of flak she's getting.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-23 at 06:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Maybe instead of taking everything literally, you should learn to read between the lines. Did she LITERALLY say that she "doesn't want white males to watch her movies"? No, you're right. Was it the ACTUAL message behind her words? Absolutely fucking yes.

Also, funny how whenever women constantly fucking cry about every little thing, real or imaginary, it makes them strong, brave, independent, fighting for what they believe in, yada yada yada. Men do the same? It makes them a bunch of snowflakes, crybabies, whiners, and whatever other buzzwords the leftards can come up with.
    Actually, that totally was NOT the "actual message behind her words", at least, not unless you're mentally handicapped. So...you really think that was the message?

And actually, snowflake is the favorite insult of the tough conservative man...until a woman says something that hurts their widdle feelings then they gotta cry about the big bad meanie SJWs. It's hilarious as hell, especially when the woman in question is someone as utterly uninspiring as Brie Larsen.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-23 at 06:52 PM.

I've now handed out more infractions in the last few days of this thread than all other threads on the front page of this subforum. As I have said THREE TIMES already, THIS IS NOT THE SUBFORUM for discussing politics and social agendas. This is a subforum for discussing actual media that exists on film or on vinyl or on television, or on paper, etc. Posting about politics/social agendas are OFFTOPIC and will be/already is being considered as derailing the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real super hero is eschatological

Can I push a conversation to if not Brie Larson who would have been your ideal choices for Carol Danvers? I honestly love Brie Larson are Carol Danvers myself but I would love to hear other peoples casting choices
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've now handed out more infractions in the last few days of this thread than all other threads on the front page of this subforum. As I have said THREE TIMES already, THIS IS NOT THE SUBFORUM for discussing politics and social agendas. This is a subforum for discussing actual media that exists on film or on vinyl or on television, or on paper, etc. Posting about politics/social agendas are OFFTOPIC and will be/already is being considered as derailing the thread.
    Actors comments are a part of the film wither people like it or not.

Hell Liam Neeson just got his recent film shut down from words alone. If they want people discussing their project in a certain way they shouldnt market it a certain way saying its bringing a "new voice" and "more people to the table"

And Marvel/Brie just pretend Like Wonder woman didnt happen the last few years or something

Casting choices are fair game if it's based on whether they fit the role they're playing. Saying Brie Larson is wooden, doesn't act well, etc, is fine.

Debating a casting choice based on her politics is irrelevant, because her politics have nothing to do with her acting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Actors comments are a part of the film wither people like it or not.

Hell Liam Neeson just got his recent film shut down from words alone. If they want people discussing their project in a certain way they shouldnt market it a certain way saying its bringing a "new voice" and "more people to the table"

And Marvel/Brie just pretend Like Wonder woman didnt happen the last few years or something
    They're not a part of the film. They're part of the narrative around a film. And that's a topic for GenOT, if at all.

What’s the best film to watch to really get a sense of Brie’s acting at her best? The Room? The only thing I’ve ever seen with her in it was Kong Skull Island and I couldn’t help but think she was really phoning it in.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    What’s the best film to watch to really get a sense of Brie’s acting at her best? The Room? The only thing I’ve ever seen with her in it was Kong Skull Island and I couldn’t help but think she was really phoning it in.
    Probably the room and 21 jump street imo

She can do heavy drama and light comedy, good range

Every time.

Every new "controversy."

Over the past couple years, I've had one thought... I remember growing up in a time where we nerds were damn happy someone bothered making sci-fi/fantasy films at all, regardless of how good or bad it was.

Now I look out....and I just can't help but feel spoiled. I'm spoiled, gamer/nerd culture is spoiled, the entire industry is spoiled! I've gotten so tired of the constant nit-picking, the politics, the criticism of every-last-detail. I think I've mentally checked out of media reviews and discussions.

I don't know about anyone else, but Captain Marvel looks like it's going to be at least as fun as any other Marvel film. So I'm going to go see it, I'm going to enjoy my time and my popcorn, and then I'm going to go home and not going to overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualPoint5 View Post
    True. Can you write top 5 your favourite films? I looked a lot interesting such as empire of the sun, limitless etc. Maybe you will offer something new for me
    Top 5 favorite films? Got to have a genre, there are so many good movies out there and I like a bit of everything but my favorites are action/adventure, science fiction, horror, thrillers and comedies.

My favorite comic book movies ever are The Dark Knight trilogy, Watchmen, Superman: The Movie, Wonder Woman, Avengers: Infinity War and Spider-man 2.

Favorite horror movies are The Exorcist (1979), The Omen (Gregory Peck), The Conjuring universe films and original Child's Play.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness (I love the Khan Noonien Singh character), Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (I mostly only care about the fall of the Jedi and Vader's rise), and Rogue One.

Dramas I really love are The Color Purple, The Kite Runner, Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis), There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Mississippi Burning, Doubt (Phillip Seymour Hoffman), and The Social Network.

Comedies are too many to name but some of my favorites off the top of my head are Tropic Thunder and Dodgeball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    unfortunately, she will be a hero of WotR.

that was stated by Goddesses of Thunder.
    Exactly. And what is a maintain of war hero mythology?

The heroic sacrifice.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Top 5 favorite films? Got to have a genre, there are so many good movies out there and I like a bit of everything but my favorites are action/adventure, science fiction, horror, thrillers and comedies.

My favorite comic book movies ever are The Dark Knight trilogy, Watchmen, Superman: The Movie, Wonder Woman, Avengers: Infinity War and Spider-man 2.

Favorite horror movies are The Exorcist (1979), The Omen (Gregory Peck), The Conjuring universe films and original Child's Play.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness (I love the Khan Noonien Singh character), Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (I mostly only care about the fall of the Jedi and Vader's rise), and Rogue One.

Dramas I really love are The Color Purple, The Kite Runner, Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis), There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Mississippi Burning, Doubt (Phillip Seymour Hoffman), and The Social Network.

Comedies are too many to name but some of my favorites off the top of my head are Tropic Thunder and Dodgeball.
    I will review these films(Dramas). I don't really like fantasy, although Lord of the Rings is a truly legendary film. I prefer to watch a something about gangsters either with actors like Johnny Depp, Robert De Niro and so on.