Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    It was already proven though that they couldn't stop Thanos. They failed. They had their chance in A:IW. They need to pass the baton. Its been 11 years. Its been a good run, but some actors are moving on. Time to move on with them. I honestly cant see anyone else playing any of their parts. Im down for bringing in new characters and letting them take over the reigns. Its that or they just end it.
    It was already proven that they couldn't beat the Chitauri. And Ultron. But they overcame their weakness, got stronger and defeated the bad guy anyway. It's about coming together as a team, despite the odds, beat yourself. Even if they couldn't stop Thanos from killing off 50% of the people, you can be damn well sure they'll avenge them. They have fought this fight for 10 years. They've suffered, they've bled, they've triumphed and they have grown, both as characters and as a team. They made new allies, they lost friends. This is their fight. They are the ones who stood up to Thanos and his terror. Not some asshole from the past that's thrown into the game 5 minutes past midnight. The next team can has their own buildup, and their own decade of worldbuilding for us to get to know them, and start to like them. When this entire MCU thing started, I disliked Captain America. Now he's my favorite. And you can be damned certain that there will be some cheesy bullshit along the lines of 'you have a new captain now.'

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Its ok not to like the skrulls, but their importance is pretty high. I dont like Galactus, or any of the celestials TBH, but I understand how epic they are, and how a movie with them in it would not be something I could miss.
    Eh, what? I don't give a flying fuck about the Celestials(they're powerful cosmic entities, but just being powerful does NOT make you "epic" in my book), and don't really care all that much about Galactus either, and would have NO trouble missing a movie with them if the movie didn't otherwise interest me. And frankly, in the books *I* read? They are 100% irrelevant. The Punisher and Moon Knight may be total badasses, but they aren't involving themselves in that level of conflict, it just doesn't happen. Blade, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel(Kamala), X-23? Again, not in their wheelhouse. Even guys like Hulk and Cap don't really interact with those guys outside of the Avenges or some crossover event Marvel has going on to try and force people to buy 20 books they wouldn't otherwise so no, they really aren't all that important if you're not super into the cosmic side of Marvel.

Same with the Skrulls, they're not nearly as important as you make them out to be. For a long time, they were basically just a second or third tier Fantastic Four badguy. Sure, then Marvel decided to make them the big bad in one of their excessive events that many of us Marvel readers don't care about so they were kinda important, for a few months, but after that, they went back to being little more than the butt of a joke("Cap Marvel made a good call? Are we SURE she's not still a skrull?"), at least in any books I read. So why would I care about going to see them in a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.
    To be honest, Marvel comics just feel like some secondary product/afterthought these days, with the real focus being placed on the movies. In a way that makes sense since comcis will never draw in revenue comparable to the movies. I guess my point is that I don't think the Captain Marvel poor writing and art treatment is exclusive to her.

Regarding the movie - I've watched the trailers. Between them and the general good faith the MCU has built on delivering good movies pretty consistently, I am kind of lost when it comes to understanding the concern people keep speaking of with regards to this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    It was already proven though that they couldn't stop Thanos. They failed. They had their chance in A:IW. They need to pass the baton. Its been 11 years. Its been a good run, but some actors are moving on. Time to move on with them. I honestly cant see anyone else playing any of their parts. Im down for bringing in new characters and letting them take over the reigns. Its that or they just end it.
    Part of the heroes journey usually involves failure somewhere along the way, but in the end they manage to overcome their previous failures. I have no problem with passing the baton and introducing new characters, but you need to let the previous characters finish out their story arch. To put it another way it would be a terrible disservice(and terrible writing) to the story of Lord of the Rings and to the character of Frodo if after 2 and 3/4 books/movies they introduced new character at the very end who finished the quest to take the ring to Mount Doom instead of Frodo.

Part of the heroes journey usually involves failure somewhere along the way, but in the end they manage to overcome their previous failures. I have no problem with passing the baton and introducing new characters, but you need to let the previous characters finish out their story arch. To put it another way it would be a terrible disservice(and terrible writing) to the story of Lord of the Rings and to the character of Frodo if after 2 and 3/4 books/movies they introduced new character at the very end who finished the quest to take the ring to Mount Doom instead of Frodo.
    Completely agree with this. But I also don't understand why people are convinced the plan is for Captain Marvel to swoop in and throat punch Thanos while everyone else sits there looking like incapable buffoons.

It's okay, the character has been there since the 90es. Gandalf Fury knew about him the whole time. I mean, he didn't bother asking him for help when Aliens poured out of the sky, or when a crazed super-Android wanted to obliterate all of Mankind, or during that Alien invasion in Greenwich, or whatever. Guess the time wasn't right back than. Fuck this narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Completely agree with this. But I also don't understand why people are convinced the plan is for Captain Marvel to swoop in and throat punch Thanos while everyone else sits there looking like incapable buffoons.
    It's mostly the part surrounding her movie where Kevin Feige said that she's stronger than Thanos, or any other Avenger. Which is, from my rather limited knowledge of the Marvel Universe, utter horseshit. It's not that people assume that's what happens. It's more that people want the characters they've laughed and cried (mostly laughed) with for the past 10 years to win this victory, not some last-minute addition to the team. She hasn't earned this victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's okay, the character has been there since the 90es. Gandalf Fury knew about him the whole time. I mean, he didn't bother asking him for help when Aliens poured out of the sky, or when a crazed super-Android wanted to obliterate all of Mankind, or during that Alien invasion in Greenwich, or whatever. Guess the time wasn't right back than. Fuck this narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

It's mostly the part surrounding her movie where Kevin Feige said that she's stronger than Thanos, or any other Avenger. Which is, from my rather limited knowledge of the Marvel Universe, utter horseshit. It's not that people assume that's what happens. It's more that people want the characters they've laughed and cried (mostly laughed) with for the past 10 years to win this victory, not some last-minute addition to the team. She hasn't earned this victory.
    My guess one of the final scenes of her movie is going to be something along the lines of "Call me when you already lost, ill fix your mistakes and make everything right" or something dumb.

I'm not convinced that is the plan, but I am concerned that is what is effectively going to happen. I just don't see a way to fit this character in and not have it feel that way. Like what Skulltaker said in the post below yours where has Captain Marvel been and why didn't Fury seek her out for help for any of the previous global scale disasters? Why bring her in at the last second and talk about how amazing she is if you don't intend to showcase that by having her be the solution to everything? I really hope my concerns are just needless. Marvel has done amazing things so far with these movies, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't fumble on the 1 yard line.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just think Feige was talking out his ass, there. If Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos, then where the fuck has she been? The hint at the end of Infinity War was that Fury sent an SOS via pager, which only makes sense if A> Danvers is ready and able to respond to said page, and B> can close the distance ASAP (days, not months, kind of thing, not instant).

And if she's stronger than Thanos, and able to travel that quickly, and not tied up in the middle of something else, why wasn't she stopping Thanos already? He was a universe-level threat. That threat focused on Earth only because several Infinity Stones were there, but it started out in the same cosmic arena she's been running about in. It's a gap they'd need to answer.

It's a much easier explanation if one of two things are true;

1> Feige was talking out his ass and not actually communicating the writer's intent (he's an executive, not the writer), or
    2> Danvers is stronger than Vanilla Thanos, without any Stones. The moment he picked up a stone, that power scale shifted, and even if she was aware of his threat, she could have been playing catchup this whole time and may have lost him until the page came in. This is a lot more reasonable; Thanos as just himself is still crazy strong, but not "beat all the Avengers at full strength" strong; if Hulk and Thor are a 9 and Thanos is a 9.5, Danvers might be a 10, if we make up a scale. And each Infinity Stone might be a +10.

My expectations are that Danvers is going to "matter" in Endgame mostly as "replacement muscle". But I also reject the idea that they're going to fix any of this through punching or blasting Thanos. Frankly, they tried that in Infinity War, and lost. Combined with Strange's "I saw a million futures and only one led to victory" speech and subsequently giving up the Time Stone, I think it's clear that Thanos had to win, which suggests to me that Thanos himself is the key to Endgame. It isn't about punching him really hard. It's about convincing him he was wrong.

That's what the narrative thus far suggests to me, at least. Danvers may be key in getting the gang to that point, but I doubt she'll be the tipping point in the narrative in any appreciable sense.

All that said, the "coming out of nowhere" is a bit off as a denigration; she's coming out of her own origin story film. Black Panther has a guest spot in CA: Civil War, and then his own film, and nobody questioned his presence in Infinity War; that's not a lot more than Danvers will have by the time of Endgame.

As an aside; it's really important that Marvel Studios figure out how to hand off the reins from the Original Gang to the New Gang, at least in part. Iron Man, at least, is probably gonna be donezo. If the MCU can't survive without a particular character, then it isn't really the MCU, it's that character's extended entourage.

You realize that you said people aren't assuming she will swoop in and save the day and then followed it up with an assumption that she will swoop in and save the day...

I'm not convinced that is the plan, but I am concerned that is what is effectively going to happen. I just don't see a way to fit this character in and not have it feel that way. Like what Skulltaker said in the post below yours where has Captain Marvel been and why didn't Fury seek her out for help for any of the previous global scale disasters? Why bring her in at the last second and talk about how amazing she is if you don't intend to showcase that by having her be the solution to everything? I really hope my concerns are just needless. Marvel has done amazing things so far with these movies, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't fumble on the 1 yard line.
    She doesn't have to be the solution to everything to justify introducing her; she just needs to be the solution to something.

I get the feeling that at some point Marvel has to royally screw the pooch. Hell, I thought Ant-Man was going to be their first big bomb. So on one hand, I get the general concern. It just seems like this movie is getting extra helpings of concern.

Also, the Fury question you mention is the big one I hope we get answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I just think Feige was talking out his ass, there. If Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos, then where the fuck has she been? The hint at the end of Infinity War was that Fury sent an SOS via pager, which only makes sense if A> Danvers is ready and able to respond to said page, and B> can close the distance ASAP (days, not months, kind of thing, not instant).
    More to the point, it means that Fury has been carrying around a pager for 30 years that can only call one person. Changing the batteries every now and then, faking his own death but retaining it in his other pants so it would be handy when he needed it.

And if she's stronger than Thanos, and able to travel that quickly, and not tied up in the middle of something else, why wasn't she stopping Thanos already? He was a universe-level threat. That threat focused on Earth only because several Infinity Stones were there, but it started out in the same cosmic arena she's been running about in. It's a gap they'd need to answer.
    Or at least when another space ship smashed into Earth and disgorged a bunch of aliens. Chitauri may not have been as important as a Skrull invasion, but Thanos' murder gang should have made a mention.

Of course, they rarely if ever explain why Movie Title Hero didn't call his buddies when World Ending Event occurred in any other movie anyway, so meh.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

It's a much easier explanation if one of two things are true;

1> Feige was talking out his ass and not actually communicating the writer's intent (he's an executive, not the writer), or
    2> Danvers is stronger than Vanilla Thanos, without any Stones. The moment he picked up a stone, that power scale shifted, and even if she was aware of his threat, she could have been playing catchup this whole time and may have lost him until the page came in. This is a lot more reasonable; Thanos as just himself is still crazy strong, but not "beat all the Avengers at full strength" strong; if Hulk and Thor are a 9 and Thanos is a 9.5, Danvers might be a 10, if we make up a scale. And each Infinity Stone might be a +10.

My expectations are that Danvers is going to "matter" in Endgame mostly as "replacement muscle". But I also reject the idea that they're going to fix any of this through punching or blasting Thanos. Frankly, they tried that in Infinity War, and lost. Combined with Strange's "I saw a million futures and only one led to victory" speech and subsequently giving up the Time Stone, I think it's clear that Thanos had to win, which suggests to me that Thanos himself is the key to Endgame. It isn't about punching him really hard. It's about convincing him he was wrong.

That's what the narrative thus far suggests to me, at least. Danvers may be key in getting the gang to that point, but I doubt she'll be the tipping point in the narrative in any appreciable sense.

All that said, the "coming out of nowhere" is a bit off as a denigration; she's coming out of her own origin story film. Black Panther has a guest spot in CA: Civil War, and then his own film, and nobody questioned his presence in Infinity War; that's not a lot more than Danvers will have by the time of Endgame.

As an aside; it's really important that Marvel Studios figure out how to hand off the reins from the Original Gang to the New Gang, at least in part. Iron Man, at least, is probably gonna be donezo. If the MCU can't survive without a particular character, then it isn't really the MCU, it's that character's extended entourage.
    I assume 1 to be the case. I mean, he has to sell the Movie, and it's not as if the strength of the characters has been consistant in any case. But I hope you can see how a 'he/she is stronger than anything we had befor!' pitch right befor the finish at least looks discouraging.

I also thought that he might be talking about 'Vanilla' Thanos, but even than, that would put her above Hulk and Thor. At least from the people arround me who actually read the comics I get the impression that that's overselling her character.

You also always have these kinds of issues with interconnected universes. Where were the Avengers during Dark World? Iron Man 3? and so on. I really don't think that Cap or Iron Man would sit the attack on London out, and at least Stark has the ability to get there fast. But it didn't bother me until after the movie, since it was Thors (and Lokis) movie. Plenty of other issues, but that's a different topic.

As for Black Panther; he had the very good reason to be there because they went to him. They needed Wakanda's help. He also made sense in Civil War, and it was a good way to introduce him, and then develop him. He didn't exactly fight the same fight as the Avengers, for a decade and longer, but he stepped up when they needed him, and went all in when he saw what was at stake. Carol Danvers is, as of now, 'noone' to us. She'll have her Origin story 'next week', but it is set in the past... so at least some people, including Fury, know abut her, what she can do. Black Panther and Wakanda were, until rather recently very hidden from the Avengers and consorts. We'll see how they handle it.

Fully agree on the passing the torch part. If she's just added muscle, like Spidey was in the middle section of Civil War, all fine with me. And should Cap die, which I somewhat assume, and looks at her and the other new heroes earth has now, and goes 'You're in good hands', okay. Fine. Someone has to be Cap.

We'll see how they handle it. Since the MCU thus far hasn't disappointed me as other franchises have, I'm cautious but optimistic. I tire of Superheroes a bit of late, so maybe Endgame will be a good point 'out'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    More to the point, it means that Fury has been carrying around a pager for 30 years that can only call one person. Changing the batteries every now and then, faking his own death but retaining it in his other pants so it would be handy when he needed it.
    Just imagine someone finding it and pressing random buttons, and she shows up, and all they are having is Shields annual Superbowl Party. And then they feel bad for her sitting wherever, and start paging her for random social events, like, Star Wars premier, Christmas secret Santa, and when Fury actually pages her she's like "Nah, don't feel like Pizza tonight."

The thing with Black Panther is that his introduction felt more organic and less shoe horned. Black Panther in Civil War didn't feel out of place and made for a good lead in to his film. Captain Marvel only has an SOS page from Fury in a post credit scene as an intro for her character and it only created a lot of questions with many of the possible answers resulting in bad story telling. Those questions raised by the Fury SOS and the surrounding discussion of her character created by Feige and Larson make this a much more rocky introduction. It just feels off and I have a lot of concerns that in the end I hope I am wrong about.

Of course, they rarely if ever explain why Movie Title Hero didn't call his buddies when World Ending Event occurred in any other movie anyway, so meh.
    Aye, this is a common failing of comic books in general and certainly not a new development in the movie incarnations. That's not to say its a good thing, but it basically comes along with building a shared universe.

Ironically it makes more sense, from a meta perspective, when you're talking about the MCU vs the comics. Including extra heroes into a movie means, at the very least, additional actor salaries. Comics on the other hand can't really claim that excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the sense that it's essentially a panic button. Most of the other major threats, like the Chitauri, they were able to handle in-house. Fury never got pushed far enough to hit it. Not until Thanos won and killed 50% of all life. It's Fury's final act, when he has literally no other cards to play, when everything seems lost. The finale of Infinity War is significantly worse than any prior state the world's been in; I can see Fury just never feeling things had gone far enough to call in Danvers.

Or at least when another space ship smashed into Earth and disgorged a bunch of aliens. Chitauri may not have been as important as a Skrull invasion, but Thanos' murder gang should have made a mention.
    Why? They handled it in-house. They were handling it fine, until Thanos showed up in person and they suddenly weren't.

The Chitauri never got out of New York.
    Ultron might have destroyed the Earth, but if Danvers was going to take more than a couple hours to get there, she'd have been too late to do anything.

And to repeat a point; we don't know what Danvers has been doing for 25 years. She may have been single-handedly keeping the Skrulls the fuck away from Earth, fighting a constant war against an opponent without mercy (since we know Skrulls are in her film, and she's Kree-powered, and Kree and Skrulls do NOT get along). Calling Danvers in might be an act that gives the Skrulls a chance to re-infiltrate the Earth, and Fury might have never called her in before because, whatever was going on, Danvers easing off the Skrulls was worse. Thanos' snap is the first thing that wasn't worse.

Totally wild theorization, but I don't presume there's no explanation. We just don't know what it is, yet.

Hell, maybe Fury and Danvers hook up and he REALLY doesn't want to call his ex to have her save his ass.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing with Black Panther is that his introduction felt more organic and less shoe horned. Black Panther in Civil War didn't feel out of place and made for a good lead in to his film. Captain Marvel only has an SOS page from Fury in a post credit scene as an intro for her character and it only created a lot of questions with many of the possible answers resulting in bad story telling. Those questions raised by the Fury SOS and the surrounding discussion of her character created by Feige and Larson make this a much more rocky introduction. It just feels off and I have a lot of concerns that in the end I hope I am wrong about.
    Nobody had this complaint with Thor. Or the Guardians of the Galaxy. Or Ant-man. Or Doctor Strange. Really, the only two headliners who've had a major inclusion in an earlier film prior to their own title films were Black Panther and Spider-man.

You realize that you said people aren't assuming she will swoop in and save the day and then followed it up with an assumption that she will swoop in and save the day...

She doesn't have to be the solution to everything to justify introducing her; she just needs to be the solution to something.

I get the feeling that at some point Marvel has to royally screw the pooch. Hell, I thought Ant-Man was going to be their first big bomb. So on one hand, I get the general concern. It just seems like this movie is getting extra helpings of concern.

Also, the Fury question you mention is the big one I hope we get answered.
    I think it has the extra helpings of concern because this is the conclusion to a very long story arch. Had Ant-Man failed like you thought it might it wouldn't have been a big deal and his character could have been slowly pushed into the background and eventually removed in some way without any real consequences. With End Game and Captain Marvel this is it. There isn't time to fix it or treat it as a side story that wasn't popular and move on. This is literally the end game for a lot of these characters. I'm worried because I personally feel they haven't given themselves any wiggle room and have let their success go to their heads a bit too much.

The thing with Black Panther is that his introduction felt more organic and less shoe horned. Black Panther in Civil War didn't feel out of place and made for a good lead in to his film. Captain Marvel only has an SOS page from Fury in a post credit scene as an intro for her character and it only created a lot of questions with many of the possible answers resulting in bad story telling.
    But unlike BP, she's getting an entire movie to work her into the MCU before she's part of one of the cross-over films. The SOS page isn't an intro, it's a tease. Her movie is her intro. That's not me trying to be pedantic.

On the flip side of all this, consider the post-credit scene of IM1, where Fury says to Stark something along the lines of "you know, you're not the only superhero out there" when clearly there's no reason for Stark to remotely think that. So I suppose something I'm suggesting we should consider is that these post-credit teases are easy targets for the MCU to mutate as they deem necessary, so maybe we shouldn't be putting too much stock in them.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it has the extra helpings of concern because this is the conclusion to a very long story arch. Had Ant-Man failed like you thought it might it wouldn't have been a big deal and his character could have been slowly pushed into the background and eventually removed in some way without any real consequences. With End Game and Captain Marvel this is it. There isn't time to fix it or treat it as a side story that wasn't popular and move on. This is literally the end game for a lot of these characters. I'm worried because I personally feel they haven't given themselves any wiggle room and have let their success go to their heads a bit too much.
    Make sense. The stakes are higher considering her movie and relevance tie into the culmination of basically all of the MCU to date.

In the sense that it's essentially a panic button. Most of the other major threats, like the Chitauri, they were able to handle in-house. Fury never got pushed far enough to hit it.
    Meh, we could say that Fury was willing to let NY get nuked in order to gamble his Avengers initiative could work.
    Not until Thanos won and killed 50% of all life. It's Fury's final act, when he has literally no other cards to play, when everything seems lost. The finale of Infinity War is significantly worse than any prior state the world's been in; I can see Fury just never feeling things had gone far enough to call in Danvers.
    That would seem to throw a lot of knowledge to Fury that isn't evident in the post-credits. Though I'm not a fan of the Rolling 50% where folks disintegrate at different times. I also think the Decimation is probably the worst name they could have gone with.

Should have been a dead man's switch, Fury dies (for real), Captain Marvel feels it, but I guess they didn't really have a Captain Marvel ready for a one panel cameo or whatnot.

I guess we're also lucky she didn't get Snapped too. Coin flip went her way. :-p
    And to repeat a point; we don't know what Danvers has been doing for 25 years. She may have been single-handedly keeping the Skrulls the fuck away from Earth, fighting a constant war against an opponent without mercy (since we know Skrulls are in her film, and she's Kree-powered, and Kree and Skrulls do NOT get along). Calling Danvers in might be an act that gives the Skrulls a chance to re-infiltrate the Earth, and Fury might have never called her in before because, whatever was going on, Danvers easing off the Skrulls was worse. Thanos' snap is the first thing that wasn't worse.

Totally wild theorization, but I don't presume there's no explanation. We just don't know what it is, yet.
    Well, sure, this is all just speculation for what, another week? What's the alternative, lock the thread until the movie releases?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we're also lucky she didn't get Snapped too. Coin flip went her way. :-p
    To be fair, Fury doesn't know if she got Snapped or not. He's playing that last card regardless, because it's the only card he's got left to play.

Well, sure, this is all just speculation for what, another week? What's the alternative, lock the thread until the movie releases?
    I'm not saying we can't discuss it, I'm condemning the idea that Danvers is just dicking around doing nothing for 25 years, waiting for Fury to page her. There's no reason to think that's true, and plenty of possible explanations that justify the way things happened. So assuming there's no explanation and getting angry because of that assumption? That's bullshit.

SNIP
    If Feige isn't talking out of his ass and she could kick Thanos's ass then he is crapping all over every last single bit of canon there is.
    I mean Scarlet Witch all by herself is stronger then her and she is part of the team Marvel is joining.
    The Hulk at least the comic version is more powerful as there is simply no end to his strength increase and Thanos knows this.
    And to top it off if the X-Men are going to be part of the MCU then they will either need to retcon the living shit out of Jean Grey because from yesterdays trailer along she is now the Phoenix Force and even Thanos in any form he had respects the Phoenix.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT