View Poll Results: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    277 63.39%
  • I did not enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    160 36.61%
  1. #1061
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    The thread was warned to stop being derailed. Several of you have ignored this and have been infracted. This will continue if you attempt further to derail the thread into a political, gender, or similar discussion.

    Post about the actual movie here. You can move your others discussions to GenOT or PMs if you want, but keep them out of this thread.
    Just curious but why does it seem one specific pov is getting infracted while the other is just getting warned? QoH is constantly ignoring the moratorium on the topic and just has edits saying to not do while others first stray off topic is getting instant infracted.

    On topic it looks like a meh movie which was miscast due to wanting the hype of an oscar winner but they choose one who win it for an oscar bait movie rather than actual talent. With the right casting it could have been interesting.

  2. #1062
    Titan Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Gonna be interesting how they edit the film. Because Nick Fury and Jude Law look like big parts of the film but who knows maybe their parts are shorter
    From all we’ve gathered so far, Jude Law plays her mentor turned primary antagonist of the film, so I’m guessing he’ll be in it a fair amount. Fury should probably be init a fair amount, but not as much.

    And I want mostly space Mohawk punching. If I wanted to watch Top Gun. I’d watch Top Gun. I want captain marvel. Space punching and lasers please!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

    Blog Twenty Eight is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and I talk about my new Podcast.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/29-blog-29

  3. #1063
    Sorry moderators. I got carried away. I should know better.

    Are we allowed to talk about the Rotten Tomatoes controversy and Capt Marvel?

    Anyway Rotten Tomatoes president said:
    "We didnt change the site to protect Captain Marvel"

    Deeming everyone a conspiracy theorist if you believe so...so i guess ill have to shut up about it.

  4. #1064
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    would you rather this film be more Jet Fighter scene heavy aka top gun.

    Or space mohawk punching ships in space action scene heavy?

    Gonna be interesting how they edit the film. Because Nick Fury and Jude Law look like big parts of the film but who knows maybe their parts are shorter
    Neither really. No interest in jet fighter/ space battles since they're mostly just light shows with no point, and mohawk punching space action likewise will probably just become Marvel Hero fights Marvel Villain With Same Powers or whatnot.

    I want "How do we defeat the Skrulls on Earth without just blasting everything or punching random old ladies on the bus". I want super powered Cap Marvel to be able to harness the energy of the sun into a beam that could destroy an armada, but she can't use any of it because that shit is worthless vs disguised enemies.

    I'd also like a real good reason for why she then went out of sight for 20 years, but meh.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  5. #1065
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    63,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Neither really. No interest in jet fighter/ space battles since they're mostly just light shows with no point, and mohawk punching space action likewise will probably just become Marvel Hero fights Marvel Villain With Same Powers or whatnot.

    I want "How do we defeat the Skrulls on Earth without just blasting everything or punching random old ladies on the bus". I want super powered Cap Marvel to be able to harness the energy of the sun into a beam that could destroy an armada, but she can't use any of it because that shit is worthless vs disguised enemies.

    I'd also like a real good reason for why she then went out of sight for 20 years, but meh.
    I do think Marvel's falling into a borderline-lazy pattern of "let's contrast the hero with their dark mirror villain", for origin story films. Captain Marvel trading cosmic punches with someone with similar powers will be blasty, but there's not a ton of narrative to explore there that hasn't been retread to death already in Marvel films.

    The more interesting stories, to me, are ones where their powers aren't conventionally useful against the enemy in question. If she's dealing with a Skrull invasion of Earth, her powers would give her the "oomph" to kick the shit out of individual Skrulls, but wouldn't do much to combat their infiltration of the halls of power and manipulation of innocents to put in her line of fire.

    CA: The Winter Soldier is the kind of thing I mean; Cap doesn't win the day by biffing his shield at badguys. Bucky's a "dark mirror", but they mostly use that for Bucky to present a real threat. Cap doesn't beat him by being punchy-er, but by breaking through his conditioning, by appealing to their history. There's a reason that film's considered one of the better Marvel outings.

    Thor: Ragnarok is another good example. There's a bunch of places where Thor annihalates mooks left and right and shows that he's amazing. But his powers are totally useless against the villain. He has to find another way. Again, best Thor film we've had.

    Captain Marvel should be able to nuke the bejesus out of pretty much anything. So give her fights where she has to hold back or risk hurting innocents, give her enemies that won't brawl her in the open. Challenge her where she's weak, not where she's strong.

  6. #1066
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I do think Marvel's falling into a borderline-lazy pattern of "let's contrast the hero with their dark mirror villain", for origin story films. Captain Marvel trading cosmic punches with someone with similar powers will be blasty, but there's not a ton of narrative to explore there that hasn't been retread to death already in Marvel films.

    The more interesting stories, to me, are ones where their powers aren't conventionally useful against the enemy in question. If she's dealing with a Skrull invasion of Earth, her powers would give her the "oomph" to kick the shit out of individual Skrulls, but wouldn't do much to combat their infiltration of the halls of power and manipulation of innocents to put in her line of fire.

    CA: The Winter Soldier is the kind of thing I mean; Cap doesn't win the day by biffing his shield at badguys. Bucky's a "dark mirror", but they mostly use that for Bucky to present a real threat. Cap doesn't beat him by being punchy-er, but by breaking through his conditioning, by appealing to their history. There's a reason that film's considered one of the better Marvel outings.

    Thor: Ragnarok is another good example. There's a bunch of places where Thor annihalates mooks left and right and shows that he's amazing. But his powers are totally useless against the villain. He has to find another way. Again, best Thor film we've had.

    Captain Marvel should be able to nuke the bejesus out of pretty much anything. So give her fights where she has to hold back or risk hurting innocents, give her enemies that won't brawl her in the open. Challenge her where she's weak, not where she's strong.
    Winter Soldier is probably my favorite Marvel movie, other than nostalgia-wise. (First Thor is "cool, we got a Thor movie", but not really something I would rewatch now...) Cap is every bit the super soldier, but the plot isn't super soldier beating up nazi's. Otherwise too many of the movies come down to punching equals. I didn't like Ragnarok on any real level, except the rock guy, but Doctor Strange was good except for the running/ punching stuff. Ant Man & sequel at least the actual mission completion goals had little to do with beating up bad guy.

    Captain Marvel will also once again run into an issue with PG13 Marvelness. She might have the most powerful blasts, but I doubt she'll vaporize anyone. The Skrulls will have super strength just so she and they can punch each other a lot.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  7. #1067
    Elemental Lord Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,182
    Who cares, we finally get a Skrull movie and everyone is crying because shes a SJW?

    Separate the art from the artist people. . . you will live a better life.
    Ask yourself this question: Are you seriously going to skip the first Skrull movie? If you say yes, you're no marvel fan.

  8. #1068
    I saw all the other Marvel movies in the theater, and probably would have seen this one, but the main actor said it wasn't for me. So I guess I'll bow to her superior wisdom and not see it.

  9. #1069
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    63,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    I saw all the other Marvel movies in the theater, and probably would have seen this one, but the main actor said it wasn't for me. So I guess I'll bow to her superior wisdom and not see it.
    Again, literally not anything Brie Larson ever said.

    You folks really have to bend over backwards to make up nonsense to justify your victim complex, don't you?

  10. #1070
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    The thread was warned to stop being derailed. Several of you have ignored this and have been infracted. This will continue if you attempt further to derail the thread into a political, gender, or similar discussion.

    Post about the actual movie here. You can move your others discussions to GenOT or PMs if you want, but keep them out of this thread.
    How does talking about the lead actress and things she has said on this movies press tour derailing the topic? Are you saying we can ONLY talk about the contents of the movie that no one here has seen? This is a good way to kill discussions on a discussion board.

  11. #1071
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    How does talking about the lead actress and things she has said on this movies press tour derailing the topic? Are you saying we can ONLY talk about the contents of the movie that no one here has seen? This is a good way to kill discussions on a discussion board.
    This is about Captain Marvel the movie NOT about what the actress, herself, has said behind the scenes.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

  12. #1072
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    How does talking about the lead actress and things she has said on this movies press tour derailing the topic? Are you saying we can ONLY talk about the contents of the movie that no one here has seen? This is a good way to kill discussions on a discussion board.
    You can discuss these things. In Gen-OT. If we allow these sorts of discussions in this subforum then a lot of threads would derail to the point where discussing anything actually about the topic at hand would be impossible.

    By keeping discussion on topic it ensures these other topics don’t devolve into something completely separate from what the thread was originally about. It also greatly helps reduce flaming and trolling which is what often occurs when things are allowed to be derailed into forbidden topics.

  13. #1073
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    This is about Captain Marvel the movie NOT about what the actress, herself, has said behind the scenes.
    It's not really "behind the scenes" when it's all she's talking about on her inclusive "anyone but white men can interview me" press tour.

    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/br...ur-1202043142/

    I heard her cat is the best part of the movie though. So at least there's that for cat fanciers.

    The thread was warned to stop being derailed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-27 at 09:58 PM.

  14. #1074
    I'm really really really over movies that scream the feminist thing over and over at your face.

    For gods sake. Stop trying to send a message and just make an entertaining movie.

    The thread was warned to stop being derailed. You have ignored this. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-27 at 08:38 PM.

  15. #1075
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    You can discuss these things. In Gen-OT. If we allow these sorts of discussions in this subforum then a lot of threads would derail to the point where discussing anything actually about the topic at hand would be impossible.

    By keeping discussion on topic it ensures these other topics don’t devolve into something completely separate from what the thread was originally about. It also greatly helps reduce flaming and trolling which is what often occurs when things are allowed to be derailed into forbidden topics.
    Okay, then do you mind if I reported everyone who derails the thread? For example, Endus just made a post about other villains in other movies. Is that cool? Since I clearly don't know what your standards are.

  16. #1076
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    63,433
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Okay, then do you mind if I reported everyone who derails the thread? For example, Endus just made a post about other villains in other movies. Is that cool? Since I clearly don't know what your standards are.
    In the context of how I hoped they framed Carol Danvers' antagonist, in this movie. My post was about Captain Marvel. That I referenced other films to make my point doesn't change that.

  17. #1077
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,728
    Who even wanted to see captain gender anyways? Maybe if she held a more well known hero hostage behind feminism, but with a movie like this she just made it so easy to to do the moral thing and stand against bigots and hate groups.

    The thread was warned to stop being derailed. You have ignored this. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-27 at 08:39 PM.
    Sig WIP

  18. #1078
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

    And I want mostly space Mohawk punching. If I wanted to watch Top Gun. I’d watch Top Gun. I want captain marvel. Space punching and lasers please!
    The airforce is gonna be a big part of the movie. Its her humanity. And just like military had a big focus in Cap America's origin movie this one will have a big focus on her airforce days to keep it "grounded" and she is a pilot after all
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  19. #1079
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Okay, then do you mind if I reported everyone who derails the thread? For example, Endus just made a post about other villains in other movies. Is that cool? Since I clearly don't know what your standards are.
    If you see someone attempt to derail the thread you or anyone else is more than welcome to report it. But I do actually read the posts and it is quite obvious when someone is on topic and when someone isn't.

    The better part of 20+ pages have been spent on the same argument being repeated over and over ad nauseum. None of which was actually discussing the movie, the character, or trailers.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-27 at 08:46 PM.

  20. #1080
    Didn't get any excitement from the trailers so going to pass on this. I just really hope that Captain Marvel doesn't save the day in Endgame because it would really blow that some new random no name hero just swoops in and defeats Thanos alone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •