View Poll Results: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    277 63.39%
  • I did not enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    160 36.61%
  1. #1121
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Of course they are not, Avengers are always carried by Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Cap America. Black Panther was an anomaly, more of an sjw event than an actual,film.
    Curious why you think Black Panther was an 'sjw event'. Was it because the Wakandans showed up to help the inner city kids and the end? If taken out of context, maybe I would agree that this was a ham-fisted 'woke' scene. However, we just saw what happens when the Wakandans ignore such people (Killmonger), so the scene is a justified reaction to the climax of the movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Why would I bother giving a film a chance when the titular character is one I don't like?
    Before Raimi's Spiderman 2, I thought superheroes were an outdated relic.

    Before The Dark Knight, I thought Batman was lame.

    Before the MCU, my only image of Iron Man was a guy walking around in (what looked like) metal spandex.

  2. #1122
    Immortal Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I have never particularly liked the Skrull's. Apparently that means I'm not a fan of Marvel? You do understand that is a stupid opinion to have right? The Marvel Universe is rather big and very few people are going to like every single aspect of it, and just because someone doesn't like one thing out of many possible things to like doesn't mean they are not a fan just because they don't like something that you happen to like.
    Its ok not to like the skrulls, but their importance is pretty high. I dont like Galactus, or any of the celestials TBH, but I understand how epic they are, and how a movie with them in it would not be something I could miss.

  3. #1123
    Titan Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    13,392
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if more than one of them die and the rest retire.
    I’m guessing Cap will sacrifice himself to save the world because... Cap.

    Then Tony will retire to spend time with Pepper and their kid.

    Thor will establish New Asgard, and go off to be All-father, meaning he has no time to tit about with The Avengers... but can still come back in a phase or two, should it be necessary.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

    Blog Twenty Five is live! In which I list our Spotify playlists, and try to get you to listen to them!

    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/25-blog-25

  4. #1124
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I see your argument but Captain Marvel is more than that.

    I used to love Captain Marvel (or as she was known at the time Warbird or Ms Marvel) back in the 80's and 90's. She was always a good side character. The hero herself isnt bad, she was great when put alongside the Avenegrs/Iron Man/X-Men books during that time. Carol Danvers was always a character who was hot headed and bit headstrong and struggled with her own demons and as well as being flawed due to her overconfidence and stubbornness.

    Not sure where this 'she was supposed to be a sex symbol' hero came from though, I haven't seen any proof of that. although it was the 70's so it doesn't surprise me. Even in the 90's was was drawn like a Pamela Anderson lol. So who knows maybe you are right :P

    The problem is her transition into a solo character, (which has worked before) which hasn't been that good. We can go back to 2012 when they really started trying to make her a figure head of Marvels universe, which I can understand why. Marvel really doesn't have any solo women heroes like DC does, So they wanted Captain Marvel to be the woman to do that.

    The problem is while trying to create Marvels main female I do feel they over tried, or tried too hard. As since 2012 I found it so hard to get into her comics. She had her moments. Her recent series Life of Captain Marvel Vol 2 has been awesome so far by the way.

    Her run from 2016 has been even worse, with bad writing horrible art work, and the birth of Carol Manvers which is totally warranted due to how awful that art was in her books.



    I mean holy shit... I can draw better than that.

    So yes they really screwed Captain Marvel over, and most of the writers that try and take her up don;t seem to understand her character at all. And once again maybe thats due to her being a side chaarcter so long.

    But once again I like Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is a great hero, it;s just no one has been able to do her justice for the last 7 years. The events of Civil War 2 didn't help either when they made her even more hated when she was on the wrong side of the argument in that. They basically did to her what the first Civil War did to Iron Man, the only comfort is knowing that Iron Man at least recovers from that horrible event and rebuilt fans love of him again because they had good writers to execute that. The writers on Captain Marvel are just making her worse and worse.

    And now with the fact she has become the excuse of everything wrong with 'SJW' Marvel makes me sad, because I know she is better than that. We have all seen it when she was Warbird, as MS Marvel as Binery and even as Captain Marvel when she was Captain Marvel before.

    I know what Marvel are trying to do with Captain Marvel, but they have gone about it all wrong. I honestly think she just isn't clicking either, her comics are not even selling great but they keep making them. I honestly miss the old Carol Danvers. The side character Carol Danvers who was a far developed and better character than in the hands of writers who write her now. How does that even happen?

    Kurt Busiek wrote a great Carol Danvers in his Avengers and Iron Man runs in the late 90's

    I just hope that this movie will break that trend, I mean the Disney/Marvel did a better Civil wAr movie than the comics, so here's hoping they do a better Captain Marvel than the comics too :P

    EDIT: wow that rant went on for longer than I thought. Whelp off to bed :S
    This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.

    I want this to be a good movie, but I have some serious doubts right now. My biggest concern is EndGame will be a big let down after all these years and movies because they decide to shoe horn in a new character(I would feel this way no matter the character they did this with be it Captain Marvel or Silver Surfer etc.) at the last minute to save the day instead of letting the characters they built up after all this time finish things out.

  5. #1125
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.

    I want this to be a good movie, but I have some serious doubts right now. My biggest concern is EndGame will be a big let down after all these years and movies because they decide to shoe horn in a new character(I would feel this way no matter the character they did this with be it Captain Marvel or Silver Surfer etc.) at the last minute to save the day instead of letting the characters they built up after all this time finish things out.
    This, and the post you quoted, is exactly how I feel, and a lot of people that I usually go to the movies to aswell. We've seen all MCU movies, several even twice, but this one looks... off. And I fear for Endgame, aswell. Deus Ex Machinas never work.

  6. #1126
    Why is she so powerful?

  7. #1127
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.

    I want this to be a good movie, but I have some serious doubts right now. My biggest concern is EndGame will be a big let down after all these years and movies because they decide to shoe horn in a new character(I would feel this way no matter the character they did this with be it Captain Marvel or Silver Surfer etc.) at the last minute to save the day instead of letting the characters they built up after all this time finish things out.
    It was already proven though that they couldn't stop Thanos. They failed. They had their chance in A:IW. They need to pass the baton. Its been 11 years. Its been a good run, but some actors are moving on. Time to move on with them. I honestly cant see anyone else playing any of their parts. Im down for bringing in new characters and letting them take over the reigns. Its that or they just end it.

  8. #1128
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    It was already proven though that they couldn't stop Thanos. They failed. They had their chance in A:IW. They need to pass the baton. Its been 11 years. Its been a good run, but some actors are moving on. Time to move on with them. I honestly cant see anyone else playing any of their parts. Im down for bringing in new characters and letting them take over the reigns. Its that or they just end it.
    It was already proven that they couldn't beat the Chitauri. And Ultron. But they overcame their weakness, got stronger and defeated the bad guy anyway. It's about coming together as a team, despite the odds, beat yourself. Even if they couldn't stop Thanos from killing off 50% of the people, you can be damn well sure they'll avenge them. They have fought this fight for 10 years. They've suffered, they've bled, they've triumphed and they have grown, both as characters and as a team. They made new allies, they lost friends. This is their fight. They are the ones who stood up to Thanos and his terror. Not some asshole from the past that's thrown into the game 5 minutes past midnight. The next team can has their own buildup, and their own decade of worldbuilding for us to get to know them, and start to like them. When this entire MCU thing started, I disliked Captain America. Now he's my favorite. And you can be damned certain that there will be some cheesy bullshit along the lines of 'you have a new captain now.'

  9. #1129
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Its ok not to like the skrulls, but their importance is pretty high. I dont like Galactus, or any of the celestials TBH, but I understand how epic they are, and how a movie with them in it would not be something I could miss.
    Eh, what? I don't give a flying fuck about the Celestials(they're powerful cosmic entities, but just being powerful does NOT make you "epic" in my book), and don't really care all that much about Galactus either, and would have NO trouble missing a movie with them if the movie didn't otherwise interest me. And frankly, in the books *I* read? They are 100% irrelevant. The Punisher and Moon Knight may be total badasses, but they aren't involving themselves in that level of conflict, it just doesn't happen. Blade, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel(Kamala), X-23? Again, not in their wheelhouse. Even guys like Hulk and Cap don't really interact with those guys outside of the Avenges or some crossover event Marvel has going on to try and force people to buy 20 books they wouldn't otherwise so no, they really aren't all that important if you're not super into the cosmic side of Marvel.

    Same with the Skrulls, they're not nearly as important as you make them out to be. For a long time, they were basically just a second or third tier Fantastic Four badguy. Sure, then Marvel decided to make them the big bad in one of their excessive events that many of us Marvel readers don't care about so they were kinda important, for a few months, but after that, they went back to being little more than the butt of a joke("Cap Marvel made a good call? Are we SURE she's not still a skrull?"), at least in any books I read. So why would I care about going to see them in a movie?

  10. #1130
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.
    To be honest, Marvel comics just feel like some secondary product/afterthought these days, with the real focus being placed on the movies. In a way that makes sense since comcis will never draw in revenue comparable to the movies. I guess my point is that I don't think the Captain Marvel poor writing and art treatment is exclusive to her.

    Regarding the movie - I've watched the trailers. Between them and the general good faith the MCU has built on delivering good movies pretty consistently, I am kind of lost when it comes to understanding the concern people keep speaking of with regards to this movie.

  11. #1131
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    It was already proven though that they couldn't stop Thanos. They failed. They had their chance in A:IW. They need to pass the baton. Its been 11 years. Its been a good run, but some actors are moving on. Time to move on with them. I honestly cant see anyone else playing any of their parts. Im down for bringing in new characters and letting them take over the reigns. Its that or they just end it.
    Part of the heroes journey usually involves failure somewhere along the way, but in the end they manage to overcome their previous failures. I have no problem with passing the baton and introducing new characters, but you need to let the previous characters finish out their story arch. To put it another way it would be a terrible disservice(and terrible writing) to the story of Lord of the Rings and to the character of Frodo if after 2 and 3/4 books/movies they introduced new character at the very end who finished the quest to take the ring to Mount Doom instead of Frodo.

  12. #1132
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Part of the heroes journey usually involves failure somewhere along the way, but in the end they manage to overcome their previous failures. I have no problem with passing the baton and introducing new characters, but you need to let the previous characters finish out their story arch. To put it another way it would be a terrible disservice(and terrible writing) to the story of Lord of the Rings and to the character of Frodo if after 2 and 3/4 books/movies they introduced new character at the very end who finished the quest to take the ring to Mount Doom instead of Frodo.
    Completely agree with this. But I also don't understand why people are convinced the plan is for Captain Marvel to swoop in and throat punch Thanos while everyone else sits there looking like incapable buffoons.

  13. #1133
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Part of the heroes journey usually involves failure somewhere along the way, but in the end they manage to overcome their previous failures. I have no problem with passing the baton and introducing new characters, but you need to let the previous characters finish out their story arch. To put it another way it would be a terrible disservice(and terrible writing) to the story of Lord of the Rings and to the character of Frodo if after 2 and 3/4 books/movies they introduced new character at the very end who finished the quest to take the ring to Mount Doom instead of Frodo.
    It's okay, the character has been there since the 90es. Gandalf Fury knew about him the whole time. I mean, he didn't bother asking him for help when Aliens poured out of the sky, or when a crazed super-Android wanted to obliterate all of Mankind, or during that Alien invasion in Greenwich, or whatever. Guess the time wasn't right back than. Fuck this narrative.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Completely agree with this. But I also don't understand why people are convinced the plan is for Captain Marvel to swoop in and throat punch Thanos while everyone else sits there looking like incapable buffoons.
    It's mostly the part surrounding her movie where Kevin Feige said that she's stronger than Thanos, or any other Avenger. Which is, from my rather limited knowledge of the Marvel Universe, utter horseshit. It's not that people assume that's what happens. It's more that people want the characters they've laughed and cried (mostly laughed) with for the past 10 years to win this victory, not some last-minute addition to the team. She hasn't earned this victory.

  14. #1134
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's okay, the character has been there since the 90es. Gandalf Fury knew about him the whole time. I mean, he didn't bother asking him for help when Aliens poured out of the sky, or when a crazed super-Android wanted to obliterate all of Mankind, or during that Alien invasion in Greenwich, or whatever. Guess the time wasn't right back than. Fuck this narrative.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It's mostly the part surrounding her movie where Kevin Feige said that she's stronger than Thanos, or any other Avenger. Which is, from my rather limited knowledge of the Marvel Universe, utter horseshit. It's not that people assume that's what happens. It's more that people want the characters they've laughed and cried (mostly laughed) with for the past 10 years to win this victory, not some last-minute addition to the team. She hasn't earned this victory.
    My guess one of the final scenes of her movie is going to be something along the lines of "Call me when you already lost, ill fix your mistakes and make everything right" or something dumb.

  15. #1135
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Completely agree with this. But I also don't understand why people are convinced the plan is for Captain Marvel to swoop in and throat punch Thanos while everyone else sits there looking like incapable buffoons.
    I'm not convinced that is the plan, but I am concerned that is what is effectively going to happen. I just don't see a way to fit this character in and not have it feel that way. Like what Skulltaker said in the post below yours where has Captain Marvel been and why didn't Fury seek her out for help for any of the previous global scale disasters? Why bring her in at the last second and talk about how amazing she is if you don't intend to showcase that by having her be the solution to everything? I really hope my concerns are just needless. Marvel has done amazing things so far with these movies, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't fumble on the 1 yard line.

  16. #1136
    Anung un Rama Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    58,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's mostly the part surrounding her movie where Kevin Feige said that she's stronger than Thanos, or any other Avenger. Which is, from my rather limited knowledge of the Marvel Universe, utter horseshit. It's not that people assume that's what happens. It's more that people want the characters they've laughed and cried (mostly laughed) with for the past 10 years to win this victory, not some last-minute addition to the team. She hasn't earned this victory.
    I just think Feige was talking out his ass, there. If Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos, then where the fuck has she been? The hint at the end of Infinity War was that Fury sent an SOS via pager, which only makes sense if A> Danvers is ready and able to respond to said page, and B> can close the distance ASAP (days, not months, kind of thing, not instant).

    And if she's stronger than Thanos, and able to travel that quickly, and not tied up in the middle of something else, why wasn't she stopping Thanos already? He was a universe-level threat. That threat focused on Earth only because several Infinity Stones were there, but it started out in the same cosmic arena she's been running about in. It's a gap they'd need to answer.

    It's a much easier explanation if one of two things are true;

    1> Feige was talking out his ass and not actually communicating the writer's intent (he's an executive, not the writer), or
    2> Danvers is stronger than Vanilla Thanos, without any Stones. The moment he picked up a stone, that power scale shifted, and even if she was aware of his threat, she could have been playing catchup this whole time and may have lost him until the page came in. This is a lot more reasonable; Thanos as just himself is still crazy strong, but not "beat all the Avengers at full strength" strong; if Hulk and Thor are a 9 and Thanos is a 9.5, Danvers might be a 10, if we make up a scale. And each Infinity Stone might be a +10.


    My expectations are that Danvers is going to "matter" in Endgame mostly as "replacement muscle". But I also reject the idea that they're going to fix any of this through punching or blasting Thanos. Frankly, they tried that in Infinity War, and lost. Combined with Strange's "I saw a million futures and only one led to victory" speech and subsequently giving up the Time Stone, I think it's clear that Thanos had to win, which suggests to me that Thanos himself is the key to Endgame. It isn't about punching him really hard. It's about convincing him he was wrong.

    That's what the narrative thus far suggests to me, at least. Danvers may be key in getting the gang to that point, but I doubt she'll be the tipping point in the narrative in any appreciable sense.


    All that said, the "coming out of nowhere" is a bit off as a denigration; she's coming out of her own origin story film. Black Panther has a guest spot in CA: Civil War, and then his own film, and nobody questioned his presence in Infinity War; that's not a lot more than Danvers will have by the time of Endgame.


    As an aside; it's really important that Marvel Studios figure out how to hand off the reins from the Original Gang to the New Gang, at least in part. Iron Man, at least, is probably gonna be donezo. If the MCU can't survive without a particular character, then it isn't really the MCU, it's that character's extended entourage.

  17. #1137
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's mostly the part surrounding her movie where Kevin Feige said that she's stronger than Thanos, or any other Avenger. Which is, from my rather limited knowledge of the Marvel Universe, utter horseshit. It's not that people assume that's what happens. It's more that people want the characters they've laughed and cried (mostly laughed) with for the past 10 years to win this victory, not some last-minute addition to the team. She hasn't earned this victory.
    You realize that you said people aren't assuming she will swoop in and save the day and then followed it up with an assumption that she will swoop in and save the day...

    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I'm not convinced that is the plan, but I am concerned that is what is effectively going to happen. I just don't see a way to fit this character in and not have it feel that way. Like what Skulltaker said in the post below yours where has Captain Marvel been and why didn't Fury seek her out for help for any of the previous global scale disasters? Why bring her in at the last second and talk about how amazing she is if you don't intend to showcase that by having her be the solution to everything? I really hope my concerns are just needless. Marvel has done amazing things so far with these movies, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't fumble on the 1 yard line.
    She doesn't have to be the solution to everything to justify introducing her; she just needs to be the solution to something.

    I get the feeling that at some point Marvel has to royally screw the pooch. Hell, I thought Ant-Man was going to be their first big bomb. So on one hand, I get the general concern. It just seems like this movie is getting extra helpings of concern.

    Also, the Fury question you mention is the big one I hope we get answered.

  18. #1138
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I just think Feige was talking out his ass, there. If Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos, then where the fuck has she been? The hint at the end of Infinity War was that Fury sent an SOS via pager, which only makes sense if A> Danvers is ready and able to respond to said page, and B> can close the distance ASAP (days, not months, kind of thing, not instant).
    More to the point, it means that Fury has been carrying around a pager for 30 years that can only call one person. Changing the batteries every now and then, faking his own death but retaining it in his other pants so it would be handy when he needed it.

    And if she's stronger than Thanos, and able to travel that quickly, and not tied up in the middle of something else, why wasn't she stopping Thanos already? He was a universe-level threat. That threat focused on Earth only because several Infinity Stones were there, but it started out in the same cosmic arena she's been running about in. It's a gap they'd need to answer.
    Or at least when another space ship smashed into Earth and disgorged a bunch of aliens. Chitauri may not have been as important as a Skrull invasion, but Thanos' murder gang should have made a mention.

    Of course, they rarely if ever explain why Movie Title Hero didn't call his buddies when World Ending Event occurred in any other movie anyway, so meh.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  19. #1139
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I just think Feige was talking out his ass, there. If Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos, then where the fuck has she been? The hint at the end of Infinity War was that Fury sent an SOS via pager, which only makes sense if A> Danvers is ready and able to respond to said page, and B> can close the distance ASAP (days, not months, kind of thing, not instant).

    And if she's stronger than Thanos, and able to travel that quickly, and not tied up in the middle of something else, why wasn't she stopping Thanos already? He was a universe-level threat. That threat focused on Earth only because several Infinity Stones were there, but it started out in the same cosmic arena she's been running about in. It's a gap they'd need to answer.

    It's a much easier explanation if one of two things are true;

    1> Feige was talking out his ass and not actually communicating the writer's intent (he's an executive, not the writer), or
    2> Danvers is stronger than Vanilla Thanos, without any Stones. The moment he picked up a stone, that power scale shifted, and even if she was aware of his threat, she could have been playing catchup this whole time and may have lost him until the page came in. This is a lot more reasonable; Thanos as just himself is still crazy strong, but not "beat all the Avengers at full strength" strong; if Hulk and Thor are a 9 and Thanos is a 9.5, Danvers might be a 10, if we make up a scale. And each Infinity Stone might be a +10.


    My expectations are that Danvers is going to "matter" in Endgame mostly as "replacement muscle". But I also reject the idea that they're going to fix any of this through punching or blasting Thanos. Frankly, they tried that in Infinity War, and lost. Combined with Strange's "I saw a million futures and only one led to victory" speech and subsequently giving up the Time Stone, I think it's clear that Thanos had to win, which suggests to me that Thanos himself is the key to Endgame. It isn't about punching him really hard. It's about convincing him he was wrong.

    That's what the narrative thus far suggests to me, at least. Danvers may be key in getting the gang to that point, but I doubt she'll be the tipping point in the narrative in any appreciable sense.


    All that said, the "coming out of nowhere" is a bit off as a denigration; she's coming out of her own origin story film. Black Panther has a guest spot in CA: Civil War, and then his own film, and nobody questioned his presence in Infinity War; that's not a lot more than Danvers will have by the time of Endgame.


    As an aside; it's really important that Marvel Studios figure out how to hand off the reins from the Original Gang to the New Gang, at least in part. Iron Man, at least, is probably gonna be donezo. If the MCU can't survive without a particular character, then it isn't really the MCU, it's that character's extended entourage.
    I assume 1 to be the case. I mean, he has to sell the Movie, and it's not as if the strength of the characters has been consistant in any case. But I hope you can see how a 'he/she is stronger than anything we had befor!' pitch right befor the finish at least looks discouraging.

    I also thought that he might be talking about 'Vanilla' Thanos, but even than, that would put her above Hulk and Thor. At least from the people arround me who actually read the comics I get the impression that that's overselling her character.

    You also always have these kinds of issues with interconnected universes. Where were the Avengers during Dark World? Iron Man 3? and so on. I really don't think that Cap or Iron Man would sit the attack on London out, and at least Stark has the ability to get there fast. But it didn't bother me until after the movie, since it was Thors (and Lokis) movie. Plenty of other issues, but that's a different topic.

    As for Black Panther; he had the very good reason to be there because they went to him. They needed Wakanda's help. He also made sense in Civil War, and it was a good way to introduce him, and then develop him. He didn't exactly fight the same fight as the Avengers, for a decade and longer, but he stepped up when they needed him, and went all in when he saw what was at stake. Carol Danvers is, as of now, 'noone' to us. She'll have her Origin story 'next week', but it is set in the past... so at least some people, including Fury, know abut her, what she can do. Black Panther and Wakanda were, until rather recently very hidden from the Avengers and consorts. We'll see how they handle it.

    Fully agree on the passing the torch part. If she's just added muscle, like Spidey was in the middle section of Civil War, all fine with me. And should Cap die, which I somewhat assume, and looks at her and the other new heroes earth has now, and goes 'You're in good hands', okay. Fine. Someone has to be Cap.

    We'll see how they handle it. Since the MCU thus far hasn't disappointed me as other franchises have, I'm cautious but optimistic. I tire of Superheroes a bit of late, so maybe Endgame will be a good point 'out'.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    More to the point, it means that Fury has been carrying around a pager for 30 years that can only call one person. Changing the batteries every now and then, faking his own death but retaining it in his other pants so it would be handy when he needed it.
    Just imagine someone finding it and pressing random buttons, and she shows up, and all they are having is Shields annual Superbowl Party. And then they feel bad for her sitting wherever, and start paging her for random social events, like, Star Wars premier, Christmas secret Santa, and when Fury actually pages her she's like "Nah, don't feel like Pizza tonight."

  20. #1140
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All that said, the "coming out of nowhere" is a bit off as a denigration; she's coming out of her own origin story film. Black Panther has a guest spot in CA: Civil War, and then his own film, and nobody questioned his presence in Infinity War; that's not a lot more than Danvers will have by the time of Endgame.
    The thing with Black Panther is that his introduction felt more organic and less shoe horned. Black Panther in Civil War didn't feel out of place and made for a good lead in to his film. Captain Marvel only has an SOS page from Fury in a post credit scene as an intro for her character and it only created a lot of questions with many of the possible answers resulting in bad story telling. Those questions raised by the Fury SOS and the surrounding discussion of her character created by Feige and Larson make this a much more rocky introduction. It just feels off and I have a lot of concerns that in the end I hope I am wrong about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •