View Poll Results: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • I enjoyed watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    277 63.39%
  • I did not enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™

    160 36.61%
  1. #1261
    I didn't notice any SJW vibes in the trailers, so it feels like a lot of people are overreacting to potentially nothing, though I also didn't see anything compelling in the trailers either.

    I'm not sure why I should want to see this movie.

    "Here's a superhero you don't know anything about, fighting some anonymous aliens you know very little about. Neither the planet nor the main characters are ever in any danger, because this is in the past and you already know they are alive in the present."

    "Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

  2. #1262
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    this. I mean, I read what she said - and I didn't think it was that bad. All she said was that she wanted equality at her press conferences by having less white men and some more diversity. nothing wrong with that. problem is that some people take that as a personal attack against them when it's not really.
    After watching her comment as she did before needing to start walking it back, she comes across as willfully ignorant of what she says sometimes rather than malicious, though who knows these days. I also think that any time an actor/directer/producer/artist/etc has to lean into the '____ wasn't made for you!' excuse, it's an admission of extreme incompetence or laziness, take your pick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    Tbh I'm not going to watch the movie, because she's (Carol Danvers) always been a C list character. A very uninteresting one. The clip that was released of her on the train looked like something straight off the Syfy channel.
    There is that, too. I'd throw money at the movie industry to see a X-Men:Storm movie done in the same style as 'Logan', but instead we are getting a Deus Ex Machina for the upcoming Avengers movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.
    I can hear the REE from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cronotose View Post
    The winner is not always the bad ass.

  3. #1263
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramlen View Post
    I disagree. People are allowed to speak their mind, regardless of what their job is. What is surprising, however, is the amount of offense that's taken when not everyone agrees with their viewpoint.
    People are allowed to speak their mind, however people in hollywood often forget how much influence they actually have. They should take that into consideration when opening their mouth and saying idiotic things like she does.

    Preaching equality by pushing people away and asking for diversity by not being diverse isn't really a good thing. Wording it differently would probably work better.

    And shes said some stupid things before aswel so it's not like this is the first time.

  4. #1264
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Without seeing what this "controversy" over whatever the actress has apparently said is, mostly because I just don't give a fuck, I'm certainly going to be seeing this (as will most of the people complaining, no doubt. Gotta gather more fuel to hate, I assume). I'm not even that huge on Marvel movies these days. It just looks like it could be a fun movie.
    same.

    I'll watch it.

    it reminds me of DB.

  5. #1265
    :P all this fake outrage is hilarious:P You can clearly see it is done on purpose to divert the attention from the fact that the movie may be mediocre at best?? Lice Ant-man 2 .All they had to do is to let Bri run her mouth and meke the boys updet :P and we dident need to w8 long for the sjw white knights come to the rescue ...

  6. #1266
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
    I really hate shows and movies that do this. Almost as much as I hate shows and movies that start at the end or halfway through and then cut to: "12 hours (days) earlier." It's like, why are you doing this to me just show me start to finish in current time. The only movie I liked this type of style in was Captain America 1.
    Er....have they done it in any other Marvel movies? Because if your argument is really: "I don't like when they do this, except for the one time Marvel did this!" isn't that an indication that Marvel movies may be doing something right when doing this style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  7. #1267
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Er....have they done it in any other Marvel movies? Because if your argument is really: "I don't like when they do this, except for the one time Marvel did this!" isn't that an indication that Marvel movies may be doing something right when doing this style?
    I ended up enjoying Avengers because of the ending...heck i even thought the movie was epic when i got out of the theater.

    Would i be as happy if it had a generic ending?

    No, i dont think so.

    Superhero movies are dumb because no one ever dies...but infinity war....wooof THAT was epic.
    My favorite superhero movie for sure.
    It was refreshing.

  8. #1268
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    I ended up enjoying Avengers because of the ending...heck i even thought the movie was epic when i got out of the theater.

    Would i be as happy if it had a generic ending?

    No, i dont think so.

    Superhero movies are dumb because no one ever dies...but infinity war....wooof THAT was epic.
    My favorite superhero movie for sure.
    It was refreshing.
    The hell does that have to do with what I said?
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  9. #1269
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    The hell does that have to do with what I said?
    The post you quoted was replying to this:

    because this is in the past and you already know they are alive in the present.

    But my english is bad so maybe i got confused (X_X) sorry

  10. #1270
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    The post you quoted was replying to this:




    But my english is bad so maybe i got confused (X_X) sorry
    But you're talking about "generic endings" like okay, we know Fury and Capt Marvel will be alive at the end of the movie. That doesn't exactly strike me as a "generic ending". And pretty much every Marvel movie has had what you describe as a "generic ending". I get it, you don't like that sort of thing, but that's hardly a slam on Capt Marvel, which, for all we know, doesn't have a generic ending. Hell they could kill Fury and imply some clone shit is going on.

    The other guy I was responding to was talking about movies set before the current time period and how they didn't like that, BUT they liked the one time it was done with Capt America, and I was curious if Marvel had done it on any other occasions and if they hadn't, then wouldn't that indicate he might like the way Marvel does that sort of thing?

    So many of the complains about Capt Marvel are so illogical. "I loved it when all these other movies did the thing but I totally hate that Capt Marvel is gonna do the thing!" or "OMG the movie is totes gonna be about XYZ and I hate XYZ except in all those other Marvel movies where they do XYZ all the time!"

    Honestly, the only real critique of the movie so far is Brie Larson's acting and maybe worries over CGI Capt Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  11. #1271
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    But you're talking about "generic endings" like okay, we know Fury and Capt Marvel will be alive at the end of the movie. That doesn't exactly strike me as a "generic ending". And pretty much every Marvel movie has had what you describe as a "generic ending". I get it, you don't like that sort of thing, but that's hardly a slam on Capt Marvel, which, for all we know, doesn't have a generic ending. Hell they could kill Fury and imply some clone shit is going on.

    The other guy I was responding to was talking about movies set before the current time period and how they didn't like that, BUT they liked the one time it was done with Capt America, and I was curious if Marvel had done it on any other occasions and if they hadn't, then wouldn't that indicate he might like the way Marvel does that sort of thing?

    So many of the complains about Capt Marvel are so illogical. "I loved it when all these other movies did the thing but I totally hate that Capt Marvel is gonna do the thing!" or "OMG the movie is totes gonna be about XYZ and I hate XYZ except in all those other Marvel movies where they do XYZ all the time!"

    Honestly, the only real critique of the movie so far is Brie Larson's acting and maybe worries over CGI Capt Marvel.
    Yeah, makes no sense in hating on Capt Marvel for being "generic".
    LoL, every single Marvel movie is generic (less infinity war)

  12. #1272
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Er....have they done it in any other Marvel movies? Because if your argument is really: "I don't like when they do this, except for the one time Marvel did this!" isn't that an indication that Marvel movies may be doing something right when doing this style?
    Also, there's the notion that sometimes its about the journey and not the destination.

  13. #1273
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    62,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
    Eh, my statement was in general, not just Marvel titles. In this sense though, you're correct, I like MCU's version of this. When Agents of SHIELD from Marvel TV does it, I hate it. Might just be because of an entirely different crew doing the script though, but it happens a lot in SHIELD, especially the later seasons.
    For me, the flashback stuff really depends on why it's used.

    If you're using it to hide pertinent information from the audience, in a "this happened in the past but we're not gonna reveal that until the 11th hour for DRAMA", you're playing annoying games. What's creating drama isn't the circumstances, it's your representation of the circumstances. It's like doing a drama about whether a poor child, left in his room, will ever eat again, for it hath been so long since the poor child hath eaten, and isn't it terrible that they are going hungry, and oh look his mom went for groceries like 40 minutes ago and now she's back.

    The whole "drama" didn't exist. I made it up by hiding info from the reader. That's the author fucking with his audience, not actual drama.

    When it's used in a "you might need context for what's about to happen, so we're going to flash back to the context since it exists outside the main narrative, but only right at the point where it's going to actually matter to the viewer", it's fine. Same for "but what's X been up to?" type stuff.

    And if your story involves memory loss and memories coming back you'd better bring your fucking A game, because that trope crawled into a hole and died 30 years ago and you'd better have a good excuse for digging up its corpse.


    To bring this back to Captain Marvel, the whole film is kind of a flashback, set in the '90s as it is. That's fine, it's the "good" kind I outlined above. You're gonna need to know who Captain Marvel is before she comes blasting on screen in Endgame, so here's the flashback to her origin. She didn't matter to the overall narrative before now, so they haven't been concealing important info from the audience as a cheat.

  14. #1274
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTrapper View Post
    I don't like her because she's a mary sue.
    Nice atl/ban evading account.

  15. #1275
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I'm not sure why I should want to see this movie.
    I think part of it is that folks are treating it like it has to be this huge thing, when it should really have the same expectations as Doctor Strange or Antman. I do not think the fans are solely responsible for the vibe/ expectations, there definitely seems to be a feel that it should be Black Panther level when Black Panther shouldn't have even been Black Panther levels (prerelease expectations), if that makes sense.

    "Here's a superhero you don't know anything about, fighting some anonymous aliens you know very little about. Neither the planet nor the main characters are ever in any danger, because this is in the past and you already know they are alive in the present."
    I did get this image in my head now that the pager isn't a pager, but a genie bottle that had her imprisoned inside for 30 years. A nice tie in with Aladdin!
    And they may kill off a lot of the Kree, I almost think they need to. There needs to be a GotG1 link in some way for me, not an Infinity War link.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  16. #1276
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
    Eh, my statement was in general, not just Marvel titles. In this sense though, you're correct, I like MCU's version of this. When Agents of SHIELD from Marvel TV does it, I hate it. Might just be because of an entirely different crew doing the script though, but it happens a lot in SHIELD, especially the later seasons.
    Oh okay, I haven't watched any of Agents of SHIELD, just didn't really interest me much.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    And they may kill off a lot of the Kree, I almost think they need to. There needs to be a GotG1 link in some way for me, not an Infinity War link.
    I would think this is reasonable, some kind of setup between why the Kree and the Zandarrians? had a peace treaty. Would also be a nice setup for a later stage Avengers movies dealing with a Skrull infiltration, assuming it's not totally defeated in this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  17. #1277
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    62,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I would think this is reasonable, some kind of setup between why the Kree and the Zandarrians? had a peace treaty. Would also be a nice setup for a later stage Avengers movies dealing with a Skrull infiltration, assuming it's not totally defeated in this movie.
    Even if Danvers kicks the everloving shit out of the entire Skrull Empire in her origin story, this is taking place like 25-30 years before the current day in the MCU. They'll have had a generation to recover and rebuild.

    Not that I think they're actually gonna have her do that, I'm just saying, even if she did, there's plenty of ground for a modern Skrull invasion.

  18. #1278
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I think part of it is that folks are treating it like it has to be this huge thing, when it should really have the same expectations as Doctor Strange or Antman. I do not think the fans are solely responsible for the vibe/ expectations, there definitely seems to be a feel that it should be Black Panther level when Black Panther shouldn't have even been Black Panther levels (prerelease expectations), if that makes sense.
    The fans share a lot of the blame for the false expectations, however there are media/critics who are trying to hype this movie up beyond what it may be able to deliver, and of course the end scene in Infinity War didn't do it any favors with the hype that it caused.

    I'm a big fan of comic book movies in general, and I don't think this will be a bad movie by any means. however this is just one of the first that I'm feeling no interest in seeing.

    Compared to Black Panther, the promos made that out to be a really cool/fun movie, and along with Dr. Strange, while tertiary characters, the trailers drew me in and I was excited to see them.

    I can't put my finger on why I'm feeling lackadaisical about Cpt Marvel. I don't think it's comic movie fatigue as I'm still excited to see End Game and Far From Home...just not sure what it is.

    "Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

  19. #1279
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Even if Danvers kicks the everloving shit out of the entire Skrull Empire in her origin story, this is taking place like 25-30 years before the current day in the MCU. They'll have had a generation to recover and rebuild.

    Not that I think they're actually gonna have her do that, I'm just saying, even if she did, there's plenty of ground for a modern Skrull invasion.
    Aren't the Skrull also kind of a big deal in the Comics, enemies wise? From what I've gathered they are a worthy enemy of an Avengers level movie.

    Can't they mimick powers, aswell? It would be amazing if Captain Marvel turned out to be a Skrull stuck on Earth, and they have to rescue the real Carol Danvers in a future movie. Or any other hero, for that matter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I can't put my finger on why I'm feeling lackadaisical about Cpt Marvel. I don't think it's comic movie fatigue as I'm still excited to see End Game and Far From Home...just not sure what it is.
    For me it's definitly fatigue. It's been to much, and the movies were to similar. You've heard it to often. "I'll end your war." "This is the Moment of Truth." "Blablabla." It's always the same.

    It's like having your favorite meal for a whole week. Starting wednesday, you'll get bored, and you'll crave something else.

    The entire politics and drama around it were just the tip on the scale. Superhero movies should be promoted as just that. A few hours of fun to get your mind of off reality. If there is a lesson to be learned, even better. But the movie should be for the fans first.

  20. #1280
    Herald of the Titans Daffan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Computer Chair
    Posts
    2,524
    B list side movie like DR Strange and Ant Man, although to spruce it up they have to make her OP for Endgame
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.
    Classic+ Retune/New Boss Abilities >>> #nochanges crowd

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •