Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 84 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Well things are getting interesting, and can say that CM may go down in history as being the one movie where peoples trust of the sites like RT, IMDB and Metacritic are put into question..

The big hubbub at the moment is how RT just deleted over 50000 audience reviews, and yet the total score went up a few percent.. Now yes many of those that were deleted may have been fake and or those that actually never saw the movie.. And in the end it is sort of the "want to see" fiasco that RT did a couple weeks ago all over again..
    It happened hours ago. Its been discussed already.

Happy International Women's Day!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Just saw it, it's really mediocre. The direction deserves the most criticism, Brie is a great actress but get almost nothing across due to the tired trope of powerful female = emotionless female and there's way too much going on for one film to handle. The CGI is outstanding, and the supporting cast in general does very well. I think with a few tweaks this would have been a lot better than I was expecting, but, as it is, it's not terrible but you're really not missing much by skipping it.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    To all the sjw's raising their soy lattes in celebration of Captain Marvel's early box office takings, a word of caution.

Everyone, even the most strident CM haters acknowledged the film would have a strong opening weekend. Pre sale tickets already told us that.

The true test will be the coming weeks, when people who weren't hyped for it decide to see it or not. If Rotten Tomatoes is any guide, they won't. Also, will there be many people going to see it multiple times? I strongly doubt it.

One of two things will happen here, CM will be like Solo and drop off dramatically and lose money, or it will be like TLJ where it made bank at the box office but poisoned the Star Wars well. Hurting the franchise in the long run.
    My understanding is those movies that made a lot on their opening weekends are due to people seeing it multiple times.. Now with the rumblings I have been seeing and hearing, CM may not be that type of movie, it may be the see it once don't bother again sort, only time will tell..

Just heard that for Thursday and maybe just in the US, the total Box Office was something like $20 million, the other thing is that Disney put the movie into 4317 theaters which from what can gather is a first..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    It happened hours ago. Its been discussed already.
    Ahh k oh well easy come easy go.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    I was just surprised to see her being dismissed as "not a great actress" given her performances in Room and Short Term 12, which I thought were excellent.

I'm completely cool with Cesar Romero (campy, high as a kite goof), Jack Nicholson (vain, charming, one-liner king and all-round vaudeville villain) and Heath Ledger (grimy, nihilistic, outsider, avatar of chaos) as the joker, so perhaps a different kind of Danvers will bother me less. I'm not saying an actor can't be miscast or just not very good in a particular role (Eisenberg played Luthor more like Zuckerberg IMO) but I'm not wedded to her being swole, so a lack of 'bad-ass' Captain Marvel might not bother me as much.

Regarding that MCU switcheroo - I feel like I've seen that same RD Jr performance a million times since the 80s, so I'd be totally ok with them replacing him and going in a very different direction.

100% agree with all of this.
    She's not a great actress for a super hero movie is the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Eh to be fair, Wonder Woman wasnt that great a movie, imo, but Gal Gadot > Brie Larson in every way imaginable. First Super hero female led movie. Of course critics are going to lap it up, especially all of the female critics. There is also Brie trying to be inclusive which caused an uproar in the insecure lol. The controversy didn't help much either.

- - - Updated - - -

People still pirate shit in 2019? Damn must suck to not have loots. That shit was cool to do in college. Now it would just be sad.
    Has nothing to do with not having "loots" has to do with not paying for utter shite movies and inly paying for good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Just saw it, it's really mediocre. The direction deserves the most criticism, Brie is a great actress but get almost nothing across due to the tired trope of powerful female = emotionless female and there's way too much going on for one film to handle. The CGI is outstanding, and the supporting cast in general does very well. I think with a few tweaks this would have been a lot better than I was expecting, but, as it is, it's not terrible but you're really not missing much by skipping it.
    Is she great? I've never seen her in anything before CM and based on her performance here, I would definitely say the opposite. CM is not a "bad" movie, but after what we've come to expect from the Marvel movies and, especially, their major stars, it definitely left me wanting. Her supporting cast are really the stars of this movie, but I think this was more of a casting flub than anything. As an example, there are plenty of jokes written into Brie's lines. You can tell they were really trying to be funny. Whether it's her timing, her delivery, or what it was, all but one or two of them fell completely flat for me. Conversely, Samuel L Jackson had me cracking up with the jokes he was given.

As Ryme mentioned, the CGI is very well done. The Skrulls look fantastic (another GREAT casting choice to make up for Brie's performance) and the superpower effects are clean and believable, as much as superpowers can be. The real winner is the soundtrack though. If you grew up in the '90's, you will love the music throughout the entire movie. It's very well-suited towards what's occurring on the screen and gives a great ring of nostalgia to the whole film.

I saw it in the cheap theatre here that has $8 tickets before noon. I would have been upset to have spent more than that to see this movie. Unless you really love the theatre experience for Marvel films, wait until it's streaming on Netflix. Many will be disappointed if they pay full ticket price.
    Last edited by Laego; 2019-03-09 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Little late to the party. See my previous post.
    Catching up on thread seeing if it's even worth watching on a second monitor via sockshare while doing work. Given the continuity errors that are apparently introduced I'm leaning heavily towards no.

Quote Originally Posted by Laego View Post
    Is she great? I've never seen her in anything before CM and based on her performance here, I would definitely say the opposite. CM is not a "bad" movie, but after what we've come to expect from the Marvel movies and, especially, their major stars, it definitely left me wanting. Her supporting cast are really the stars of this movie, but I think this was more of a casting flub than anything. As an example, there are plenty of jokes written into Brie's lines. You can tell they were really trying to be funny. Whether it's her timing, her delivery, or what it was, all but one or two of them fell completely flat for me. Conversely, Samuel L Jackson had me cracking up with the jokes he was given.
    First time I saw her was in Kong - Skull Island. Her performance was okay, certainly not memorable. Why Marvel chose her over other better suited actresses is a mystery, but it is what it is. Charlize Theron would have been my first pick, despite her age working against her. Regardless, I hate the Captain Marvel character so I'm biased against the film anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    But it doesn't make sense now, either. Call them Protectors, Sentinels, Guardians, whatever. Avenging means that you already suffered a grievance. The only reason why the name stuck was because it sounded cool, and Starks line about avenging the earth was pretty badass. 'Cool' things usually don't need explaining. In fact, most of the time, it makes them less interesting if they are given a reason.
    Well we don't know why Carol's callsign was "Avenger" either, she probably chose that because it's cool and doesn't need explaining, so your rationale is still intact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    First time I saw her was in Kong - Skull Island. Her performance was okay, certainly not memorable. Why Marvel chose her over other better suited actresses is a mystery, but it is what it is. Charlize Theron would have been my first pick, despite her age working against her. Regardless, I hate the Captain Marvel character so I'm biased against the film anyway.
    Charlize is not only too old, her heyday was like a decade ago (I love Charlize Theron, don't get me wrong), Hollywood is always going to cast an upcoming young actress for a part like this. Brie Larson is a hot property since Room.

P.S. I remember her from United States of Tara mostly, where she was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The movie is average or below average for the MCU, get off your high horse.
    Average for the MCU is pretty good. DC dreams of being MCU average.

This film was a LOT less flawed than say, Aquaman, and that movie made a billion dollars.

- - - Updated - - -

There are zero continuity errors.
    I'd also add that continuity errors are not the mark of bad fiction. The original comics are full of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Now you’re just trolling.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-03-09 at 07:36 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Mmmm, I wouldn't be too sure about that.

But of course that's the kind of argument that could go on forever.
    Yeah true. It's very much a "Which Superman vs Which Goku" type of scenario. Basic Thor vs Flashpoint Diana? I'd hand it to Diana. WonderWoman vs Rune King Thor. Thor all day.

I just think there are more incarnations of Thor that would have the upper hand overall. But there would be variances dependent on which you chose.

Dang 51% audience score on RT just popped up. Seems a bit low though for a Marvel movie. Guessing some people might be trolling the scores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rotten Tomatoes can manipulate all the reviews and ratings they want, but it's already clear by their blatant purging of over 54,000 reviews, that the vast majority of people are sick of this "Get Woke" mentality in films these days.

Funny how they're making this about women, when 'Alita Battle Angel' never had this issue... It's almost like a movie having a female lead isn't actually the problem, and has never been the problem...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Dang 51% audience score on RT just popped up. Seems a bit low though for a Marvel movie. Guessing some people might be trolling the scores.
    Ah yes, "trolling". The ever convenient excuse to dismiss valid criticisms, and keep your fingers in your ears... If you honestly think 54,000 people were "trolling" when the Audience Score was down to 34% (before RT straight up reset the ratings), you're just delusional...
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Name a few.
    Why was everyone calling it Shield when that wasn’t decided until the end of Iron Man 1?

Name a few.
    In A1, Fury clearly states that Thor was the reason why Shield was making Tesseract weapons, because he was the first to show the Earth that "they're not alone and that they're hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."

Yet, we know that actually isn't the case. Thor wasn't the first alien Fury had encountered. The Skrulls were.

Sorry that's wrong.

1. Why wait until half the planet is getting dusted to call "so called" most powerful character (really hoping she isn't a complete mary sue in endgame she was in her own movie from what I've heard)

2. Shield wasn't established as name until post Iron Man

3. Why wait to establish the advanced weapons stuff if you dealt with a situation in the 90s since you knew there was shit out there.

It creates a lot of issues.

Compartmentalization.
    That doesn't make any sense lmao

Fury has no reason to lie to them and state that Thor was the reason they found out they weren't alone in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Weird how WW didn't get trolled or Alita just movies that people scream sexism about maybe those movies are just bad le gasp

- - - Updated - - -

Compartmentalization.
    random nonsense word here

Fury was literally part of the first incident he has no reason to lie to them.

3 why do you think they were waiting to do the weapons stuff when it was clearly already developed by then? It took them over a decade, but they had completed weapons based on the tesseract.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5CU4HqQ5EU

Untrue. They didn't know how to use the Tesseract to create those weapons until after Thor occured. Watch the post credit scene.
    Seriously? He lied to them constantly. See winter soldier for reference.
    And? Things are more nuanced than that. Fury had a reason. There's no reason this time.