Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 40 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Please explain what tirade? She clearly said she wanted a more diverse press pool. Incels and insecure white males read it as shitting on and getting rid of white men and spewed forth a bunch of incorrect shit attributed to her. She then added that no one was losing seats at the table, that she wanted more seats with more diversity. Nothing worng with anything she said, just a bunch of man-babies.

Infracted.
    Always nice to be reminded that you are better than some people when you read shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    I have zero interest in this movie despite loving the genre. I'm just not the target audience as I feel this one is aimed at the female audience, so I see it like a romantic comedy or a musical, it's just not my type of film. And I don't think Disney expects many males to see it either, but it'll still rake in millions so no real issue.

My concern is what this will do to the final Avengers movie. There is a growing concern that Marvel wants CM to take over the Avengers franchise once the main characters bow out. For many people the upcoming Avengers movie will be the last because the characters we know and love (Iron Man, Thor, Capt America) will be gone, and the remaining characters are just not good enough to carry the franchise. The fear is Marvel will have Captain Marvel single handedly take out Thanos, relegating beloved characters to the reserves bench so she can get credit and impetus to take over the franchise.

That would be a travesty and dishonourable way to end what has been one of the greatest series of films ever made.
    If you think the MCU is somehow the greatest series of films ever made, man, I don't know what to say to that.

And I love musicals. I loved movies like Chocolat. And I also like superhero movies. A genre isn't aimed at an audience. You aim yourself at (or away from) a genre. Don't blame the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Shes like a 7/10 in looks for a blonde and her robot expressions don't help her case either. I really don't understand this casting.
    I think part of her character is supposed to be robot-like, but i could be wrong.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have zero interest in this movie despite loving the genre. I'm just not the target audience as I feel this one is aimed at the female audience, so I see it like a romantic comedy or a musical, it's just not my type of film. And I don't think Disney expects many males to see it either, but it'll still rake in millions so no real issue.

My concern is what this will do to the final Avengers movie. There is a growing concern that Marvel wants CM to take over the Avengers franchise once the main characters bow out. For many people the upcoming Avengers movie will be the last because the characters we know and love (Iron Man, Thor, Capt America) will be gone, and the remaining characters are just not good enough to carry the franchise. The fear is Marvel will have Captain Marvel single handedly take out Thanos, relegating beloved characters to the reserves bench so she can get credit and impetus to take over the franchise.

That would be a travesty and dishonourable way to end what has been one of the greatest series of films ever made.
    I think it is going to suck. As a rule, the more a movie hypes its "WOKENESS" the more likely that movie isn't that good and the producers and advertisers are looking for both a future excuse for its failure, and shielding from criticism, or maybe a slim hope that people will shell out money to see it simply to spite their political enemy.

On some level the story direction makes sense because really, these guys eventually will want to do other things and these movies have been running for decades(?) now? ANd they just need to resolve the overarching story. But I doubt anyone will care anymore, they are getting a bit stale and if the sales pitch now is that CM is our Feminist hero savior than it will just likely suck as it becomes preachy nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I think part of her character is supposed to be robot-like, but i could be wrong.
    If I want to worship a Cyborg chick, I've got the infinitely better Alita to pray too / cosplay as.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If you think the MCU is somehow the greatest series of films ever made, man, I don't know what to say to that.
    I'm not saying they are masterpieces on the level of Citizen Kane or Lord of the Rings, but for what they are, popcorn entertainment, they are the best ever done.

And I love musicals. I loved movies like Chocolat. And I also like superhero movies. A genre isn't aimed at an audience. You aim yourself at (or away from) a genre. Don't blame the genre.
    To each their own, but its fair to say that fans of Marvel movies & comics are not typically queuing up to see La La Land.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I think it is going to suck. As a rule, the more a movie hypes its "WOKENESS" the more likely that movie isn't that good and the producers and advertisers are looking for both a future excuse for its failure, and shielding from criticism, or maybe a slim hope that people will shell out money to see it simply to spite their political enemy.

On some level the story direction makes sense because really, these guys eventually will want to do other things and these movies have been running for decades(?) now? ANd they just need to resolve the overarching story. But I doubt anyone will care anymore, they are getting a bit stale and if the sales pitch now is that CM is our Feminist hero savior than it will just likely suck as it becomes preachy nonsense.
    I would have thought they would have learned from Star Wars, but apparently not. Wokeness doesn't sell. I feel they could have planned better for the inevitable leaving of Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans etc, but it seems they are filled with such hubris they believe they can afford to pursue agendas. And as usual you are correct, they are getting stale and there is a sense of superhero movie fatigue. They will never again achieve the dizzying heights of success they had with the current crop of actors/characters.

Love the new avatar btw

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would have thought they would have learned from Star Wars, but apparently not. Wokeness doesn't sell. I feel they could have planned better for the inevitable leaving of Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans etc, but it seems they are filled with such hubris they believe they can afford to pursue agendas. And as usual you are correct, they are getting stale and there is a sense of superhero movie fatigue. They will never again achieve the dizzying heights of success they had with the current crop of actors/characters.
    Billing CM as a "Future is Female!" kinda shpeal does lend a lot to the idea that its going to suck and that the producers and probably even the actor knows that. With the one exception of Black Panther, the rule has held that movies that sell themselves on Wokeness are usually bad movies. And in Black Panthers defense, they did not sell it on wokeness, the SJW crowd beat themselves off to it. It was good on its own.

Love the new avatar btw
    You sir are a man or woman of culture and taste when it comes to horror and scream queens. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    She was mostly well written and got great arcs only down side I’d say is that she didn’t die in the end as it would have been more impactful.
    Long ago, I learned to just trust Jason Aaron. He’s the MASTER of the Long Game. While I DO think having Jane die during “Death of Mighty Thor” would have been great... I get the feeling he kept her alive because he’s got something planned for her in the upcoming “War of the Realms”

Although, I maintain “killing” her, then having her come back as a Valkyrie duringa pivotal moment in WotR would have been awesome.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Surprised there is not a topic already.

First reviews seem to be coming in really strong.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...s-brie-larson/

Hopefully if the movie is good, the anti SJW crowd won’t review bomb it just because they hate Larsen.
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't do well they'll be blamed along with woman haters and trolls.
    I kinda hope it bombs sounds boring, could use another example of why not to put politics into films, though i want black widow.. so..
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Long ago, I learned to just trust Jason Aaron. He’s the MASTER of the Long Game. While I DO think having Jane die during “Death of Mighty Thor” would have been great... I get the feeling he kept her alive because he’s got something planned for her in the upcoming “War of the Realms”

Although, I maintain “killing” her, then having her come back as a Valkyrie duringa pivotal moment in WotR would have been awesome.
    unfortunately, she will be a hero of WotR.

that was stated by Goddesses of Thunder.

Doesn’t look any worst than any other mcu movie. I will go see it like all the others, and most likely enjoy it like the others too.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    ....Wait, aren't those seats limited in number?
    If you pour in a rainbow of "diverse" critics won't you by logic force out a few of the already competent people sitting?
    If not, what is stopping those people from pitching in and providing their reviews?

Am I missing something?
    This is actually the same problem with affirmative action.

You aren't missing anything. She's an idiot and a racist.

Aaaaand as expected, the very first Marvel superhero movie to feature a female character in the lead has stirred the whaling hornet's nest.

What a shocker. Then again, I 'member the outrage from that same crowd in regards to WW (especially when Wonder Woman said that men are not needed for the pleasure part) yet now WW is hailed as the go-to standard. Not sure why, Gal "Sameface" Gadot isn't exactly the best actor to ever walk the earth.

- - - Updated - - -

... The target audience is fans of the MCU.

"Romantic comedy or a musical"... It's a superhero movie with all the tropes we've seen dozens of times by now already in the previous releases. Not sure what's so much more "aimed at the female audience" with this one when said female audience have loved every single Marvel movie just fine.
    If you love the genre, you're the target audience.

And I think most fans don't love these movies based on gender identity politics/race politics, which is a damned relief.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-02-23 at 02:15 AM.

Again, knock off the politics. This isn't GenOT. I see a few posters who weren't in the thread from my warning a whole 3 pages ago, but politics and social agendas (of either side) are off topic for this forum. This thread is to discuss the medium of Captain Marvel, a freaking movie, not some political rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Aaaaand as expected, the very first Marvel superhero movie to feature a female character in the lead has stirred the whaling hornet's nest.

What a shocker. Then again, I 'member the outrage from that same crowd in regards to WW (especially when Wonder Woman said that men are not needed for the pleasure part) yet now WW is hailed as the go-to standard. Not sure why, Gal "Sameface" Gadot isn't exactly the best actor to ever walk the earth.

- - - Updated - - -

... The target audience is fans of the MCU.

"Romantic comedy or a musical"... It's a superhero movie with all the tropes we've seen dozens of times by now already in the previous releases. Not sure what's so much more "aimed at the female audience" with this one when said female audience have loved every single Marvel movie just fine.
    If you love the genre, you're the target audience.

And I think most fans don't love these movies based on gender identity politics/race politics, which is a damned relief.
    Captain Marvel isn't an atypical superhero, which is why her comics consistently flop and the character either isn't well known or liked. She doesn't go through the usual iteration of a flawed character come good under adversity, she is a classic Mary Sue who can already do it all, a Tom Cruise top gun without the penis, she goes into space and gets fiddled by aliens to become Marvels answer to Superman and comes back to save the world.

Boring, no personality, played by a wooden actress with a feminist political agenda who hates white men. What's not to like? Early previews suggest the best thing about the film is the cat. Enough said.

Err... we've had female heroes and superheroes since forever. "First", what? Why would the character being marvel be something special at all?
    Also she was the one who opened her mouth first, inform yourself.

Meh.

She doesn't go through the usual iteration of a flawed character come good under adversity, she is a classic Mary Sue who can already do it all, a Tom Cruise top gun without the penis, she goes into space and gets fiddled by aliens to become Marvels answer to Superman and comes back to save the world.
    I'm no expert of all her comic stories but this is also the impression I got, at least with her latest apparitions.
    Last edited by Malaky; 2019-02-23 at 02:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    You sir are a man or woman of culture and taste when it comes to horror and scream queens. <3
    Male, but thanks for not assuming my gender

Every time Theo gets banned, a fairy angel dies.

Captain Marvel isn't an atypical superhero, which is why her comics consistently flop and the character either isn't well known or liked. She doesn't go through the usual iteration of a flawed character come good under adversity, she is a classic Mary Sue who can already do it all, a Tom Cruise top gun without the penis, she goes into space and gets fiddled by aliens to become Marvels answer to Superman and comes back to save the world.

Boring, no personality, played by a wooden actress with a feminist political agenda who hates white men. What's not to like? Early previews suggest the best thing about the film is the cat. Enough said.
    Ah yes, I'm sure she hates white men based on simply wanting more diversity in the critics seats. Her father, her potential brothers, her husband, the men she works with, her fans... We all know how eager humans tend to be to work with someone that hates their demographic!
    Delicate flowers gon' stay delicate, I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Err... we've had female heroes and superheroes since forever. "First", what? Why would the character being marvel be something special at all?
    Also she was the one who opened her mouth first, inform yourself.
    Yes, doesn't change the fact that this is the first MCU movie with the female character in the lead.

And I am informed, I'm informed on what she said and what she meant. Unlike the asshurt flowers online.

Not much else to say about it. The movie being good or bad = I can't say, I don't enjoy Avengers 2 nor Black Panther, so it's a 50/50. I am a fan however of the MCU and hope for the best.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-23 at 05:06 AM.

Yes, doesn't change the fact that this is the first MCU movie with the female character in the lead.
    You didn't answer the question. Why would this be any special or different than the plethora of other heroines and superheroines we got in movies and tv shows?

It seems to me as trying to paint this as an "event" that doesn't exist. There's nothing special at hand here, especially so recently after WW.
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.

You didn't answer the question. Why would this be any special or different than the plethora of other heroines and superheroines we got in movies and tv shows?

It seems to me as trying to paint this as an "event" that doesn't exist. There's nothing special at hand here, especially so recently after WW.
    There's nothing special = exactly right.
    It's not a political movie, not a statement against a certain group, it's a MCU movie focusing on a female character rather than a male. If it's good or not is determined by the quality of the script and its execution.

Simple.

One actress having an inherently non-offensive opinion has sparked outrage and MADE this a spectacle through the responses of a certain online group. Their outrage won't change shit, it won't turn a good movie bad and a bad movie good. In fact I'm willing to bet that the media attention will only help the box office revenue.

There's nothing special = exactly right.
    It's not a political movie, not a statement against a certain group, it's a MCU movie focusing on a female character rather than a male. If it's good or not is determined by the quality of the script and its execution.
    Simple.
    ....Yeah? On that we all agree on. Which is why Larson shouldn't have made it political.

Anyway I'm really gonna drop it, don't wanna anger the mod. This was my very last.