Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 47 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    That literally did not happen. Asking that interviews and critics not be exclusively white male is not the same as what you are saying. That's why people are laughing at you.
    I was on the fence about the movie, but was going to see it just to support the franchise that I have enjoyed most of. However, having the actress that plays the main character use the movie media as a platform for her politics turned me off. Entertainers need to just STFU about their opinions, collect a paycheck, and use their money to make the changes in the world they want. This goes for sports celebrities too.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    There is growing sentiment that Marvel has played their audience by burying key plot points for Avengers Endgame in this movie, thereby forcing anyone remotely interested in the Avengers blockbuster to watch Captain Marvel. People are now starting to revise opening weekend box office taking upwards. As much as I hate it, I have to admire Marvels business strategy.
    Hasn't that been actual comic-book strategy for decades? Am I the only one that hated the little footnotes directing you to some comic you had no interest in?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    And neither is this one, which is all I’ll say due to the multiple mod notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Again that’s one of the flaws of an interconnected universe there were Proabbly a ton of people not interested in each individual movie but way them any way becaus they wanted to be on the up and up.
    Well, I guess I'll have to take your word for it. As a white male I'm not allowed to have an opinion on things according to some dumbass in a costume.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Well, I guess I'll have to take your word for it. As a white male I'm not allowed to have an opinion on things according to some dumbass in a costume.
    You might want to save the costume for premier night.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Citation needed.

Stick to discussing the actual movie. Any political, gender, and activism topics are to be talked about in Gen-OT. Stop derailing the thread with these offtopic subjects. Further attempts to do so will result in infractions.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-02-25 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Hasn't that been actual comic-book strategy for decades? Am I the only one that hated the little footnotes directing you to some comic you had no interest in?
    It's one reason I stopped reading Marvel & DC for a long time, because it was one giant crossover arc after another (Darkest Night, Hulk War, etc...) and aside from not being interested in half the comics I needed to read, it was fucking expensive.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    There’s a link to what she said on this very page unless you have another source you seem to be full of It .
    Here's one:
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/br...ur-1202043142/

And another:
    https://heroichollywood.com/brie-lar...l-white-press/

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    She never says that.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Statistically speaking, it's highly unlikely that the "best" at that job just happens to be all white guys.
    Actually that's exactly how it was, hence why she's started discriminating against journalists in order to give lesser skilled ones a chance based purely on their race/gender.

Infracted
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-25 at 10:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If you think the MCU is somehow the greatest series of films ever made, man, I don't know what to say to that.
    Digging back a couple days but I wanted to respond to this;

I wouldn't argue that any individual Marvel film is particularly fantastic. They're very solid and mass-market ready, they tell a fairly tight story, and do it in ways that engage the audience. They're not particularly innovative in terms of cinematography or plotlines, but comic books are essentially modern-day analogues of mythology; tales that are told and retold because the central themes strike a chord. They accomplish that better than basically any other franchise out there, IMO.

Where they really shine, however, is the shared universe. That's something that hasn't really been done, before. DC is trying, and failing, to do the same thing. Star Wars is branching out into that idea, but only with Rogue 1 and Solo, with mixed audience reception (and Disney at the helm). Other major film franchises like Bond don't have this kind of interconnectedness; they're episodic but interchangeable (and it's not the recasting of the main character, either). The Marvel films largely work completely fine on their own, as standalones, but plugging them into the greater cinematic universe makes them all greater than the sum of their parts, and that is something I would argue is "new" for filmmaking.

If you're gonna tell me that CA: Civil War is better than Citizen Kane, I'm gonna laugh at you, but if you try to claim some other film franchise has a better and more-interconnected setting without being linear sequels, I'm also gonna think you're nuts.

I used to, until I realized they only matter if you care. If you look at them more as a "if this seems weird, we explained it elsewhere" comments, they stop bugging you as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    It's one reason I stopped reading Marvel & DC for a long time, because it was one giant crossover arc after another (Darkest Night, Hulk War, etc...) and aside from not being interested in half the comics I needed to read, it was fucking expensive.
    Marvel Unlimited. One of the best subscription services I've ever bought into. Once you've subbed, you get access to nearly the entire Marvel catalogue. All the way back. The most recent 6 months or so aren't there, and that's how it doesn't just replace buying comics entirely, but if you're an occasional reader or want to go back and catch up on stuff, you can pay your monthly fee and access hundreds of comics. The reader's pretty comfortable to use on my tablet, too.

Can still leave you with a metric fuckton of reading, but if you want to read all of the original Civil War and every tie-in to that event, that's all right there. For the big event things, they even have reading lists with a pre-set reading order, so you can follow through the 20 different arcs in the right order without looking it up online.

To bring this back to the upcoming film, I really hope we get, in either an after-credits scene here or in Endgame, a close-up shot of Goose, purring loudly. And the camera bans back, and you see the thousands of alien eggs he's clearly just laid. Not sure which movie it's funnier in, but I imagine there's going to be shenanigans, and it would be a funny footnote.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-02-25 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I used to, until I realized they only matter if you care. If you look at them more as a "if this seems weird, we explained it elsewhere" comments, they stop bugging you as much.
    I kept going for a while, but was reading fewer and fewer comics anyway, and eventually just felt the stories never actually ended on a satisfying note. I stopped many years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kept going for a while, but was reading fewer and fewer comics anyway, and eventually just felt the stories never actually ended on a satisfying note. I stopped many years ago.
    Yeah, I get that. I don't buy comics anymore myself; I buy trade paperbacks if I'm buying at all (usually a full arc), or I'll read it through Marvel Unlimited where it doesn't matter if I jump around a bit; beyond my sub fee, my only "cost" is time.

Yeah, I get that. I don't buy comics anymore myself; I buy trade paperbacks if I'm buying at all (usually a full arc), or I'll read it through Marvel Unlimited where it doesn't matter if I jump around a bit; beyond my sub fee, my only "cost" is time.
    I never read DC back in the day, so was thinking of trying the DC service, but it doesn't seem fleshed out. I've considered the marvel service but whenever I peek into the comics everything seems out of whack. Like a lot of things, once you're out of it and not invested in the characters anymore it's odd to jump back in.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the last 10 years it's been nothing but large scale crossover events in Marvel. And I hate it. Because it pulls heroes away from their own comic books and when its over they act like nothing happened. It sucks because its takes away from character development in their own stories to focusing on somewhere they need not be. Now every large scale event has gotta have every hero in their universe come together when it;s not even needed.

Over the last 10 years Marvel have had

Chaos War
    An event I liked but it featured way too mnay heroes for no reason. It did remind me of why I liked Hercules though :P

Fear Itself
    All of which didn't need most of the people it featured. Fear Itself could have just been an Avengers event. But it featured everyone and their mom.

Avengers vs. X-Men
    Was a horrible event that was more about the X-Men than the avengers, it didn't need the avengers at all. The Phoenix, (which was this stories focus) is an X-Men entity, The Avengers being stuck in this felt so forced.

Infinity
    Okay, I honestly didn't mind this event, and it really did put most of the focus on the Avengers and the space heroes. when the Infinity stones and Thanos are involved a big event is what's needed.

Original Sin
    Horrible saga, I really felt this shouldnt have been as large as it was either. This should have just been a side story.

AXIS
    Didn't need the X-Men in this at all. The aftermath didn't affect them at all. Once everything was over it was like nothing happened. No one in the X-Men ever spoke on this agaoin outside of what happened to Havok and Sabretooth, even that was slowly just phased out and forgotten over time. Should have just been an avengers event. It was all really set up to lead into Secret Wars anyway. Speaking of which.

Secret Wars
    Another horrible large scale event that felt unnecessary mainly to soft reboot the Marvel universe, but the cross event was so big and lasted over a year, this really made me stop reading comics for a while it just went on and on and on and on. I just wanted it to end, it didn;t even need to be this long, And it crossed over every comic in the Marvel universe and if you wanted to know what was going on you really had to pick up every comics or at least 80% of marvels comics during that event. No comic was safe.

Avengers: Standoff!
    this event was actually fine

Civil War II
    Remember when the first Civil War series was needless and pointless and made out Tony Startk to be the most hated person in comics that took a few years to heal. Replace Tony Stark with Carol Danvers. If any comic really turned people off Carol Danvers as a hero it was this. For me especially I really hated her character, I wanted her to be a skrull or something it was really bad writing and once again way too many heroes involved that this whole thing could have been a 5 part mini series that felt like it was needlessly stretched with more heroes involved than needed.

Inhumans vs X-Men
    Another concept I ddin't mind. considering the catalyst to this event. But once again it just dragged. But at least it was shorter and better than Avengers vs X-Men

Monsters Unleashed
    No opinion I did not read this event.

Secret Empire
    Once again this event got a lot of publicity with the whole Captain America being Hydra Agent thing, but the ending was a massive cop out and just resulted in the needless death of a character because 'shock factor sells comics' apparently. Once again this didn;t need most of the heroes it had in it. Could have just been an avengers storyline.

Infinity Wars
    Currently ongoing, seems to be more of the same large scale BS that feels un-needed, But hey at least Wovlerine is back.

I missed off some smaller events, there was like another 20 more smaller large scale events between all these. like Venomized, Phoenix Resurrection, The Black Vortex, Time Runs Out and Schism to name a few. Just way too good damn many.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-02-26 at 01:08 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

and now War of the Realms, AKA Official Asgardian Parody as one of the posters called it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m really worried for War of the Realms. I’ve been following the build up in Thor for years now, but with more comics being added to the event every freakin day, I’m starting to feel like the event is going to be WAY bigger than it needs to be, and the core story is going to get swallowed up in all the nonsense...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Marvel Unlimited. One of the best subscription services I've ever bought into. Once you've subbed, you get access to nearly the entire Marvel catalogue. All the way back. The most recent 6 months or so aren't there, and that's how it doesn't just replace buying comics entirely, but if you're an occasional reader or want to go back and catch up on stuff, you can pay your monthly fee and access hundreds of comics. The reader's pretty comfortable to use on my tablet, too.

Can still leave you with a metric fuckton of reading, but if you want to read all of the original Civil War and every tie-in to that event, that's all right there. For the big event things, they even have reading lists with a pre-set reading order, so you can follow through the 20 different arcs in the right order without looking it up online.
    Never paid much attention to the online services. The biggest problem I tend to have is that I absolutely can't stand the vast majority of A-line heroes between the two big-names in comics. Honestly the MCU presents possibly the most likable version of any of the A-line heroes I have ever read/seen. I guess a lot of it is that when I read comics, I still want to enjoy some camp but too often everything is dark, gritty, and HARDCORE or X-TREME (yelling while saying these words is mandatory).

But also I am a very casual comic book reader, freely dropping lines or picking up new ones when I got bored or something new and shiny catches my eye. So I really don't have any interest to read those crossover series. It's just too much.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Never paid much attention to the online services. The biggest problem I tend to have is that I absolutely can't stand the vast majority of A-line heroes between the two big-names in comics. Honestly the MCU presents possibly the most likable version of any of the A-line heroes I have ever read/seen. I guess a lot of it is that when I read comics, I still want to enjoy some camp but too often everything is dark, gritty, and HARDCORE or X-TREME (yelling while saying these words is mandatory).
    that's because both marvel and DC comics suck ass right now due to the lack of actual talent in their teams, you're better off going back and reading the bronze age for more serious content, silver for camp, and gold for the sake of history.
    the modern age and the 90's dark age are both cringy cancer that should be excised with a chainsaw.

for marvel i'd say the hard cut-off is anything post-fear itself as AvX was the most soulless marketing cash-grab and that has dominated their editorial guidelines since.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    that's because both marvel and DC comics suck ass right now due to the lack of actual talent in their teams, you're better off going back and reading the bronze age for more serious content, silver for camp, and gold for the sake of history.
    the modern age and the 90's dark age are both cringy cancer that should be excised with a chainsaw.

for marvel i'd say the hard cut-off is anything post-fear itself as AvX was the most soulless marketing cash-grab and that has dominated their editorial guidelines since.
    Yeah, I do go back and read the old stuff, just at a glacially slow pace. But I tend to find what I enjoy most in the B or C or lower liners with shorter series, even in newer stuff. It just has a general vibe that since people are less uptight about those characters, the authors can get away with having more fun with them.

Just, be kind.

There is a drama going on about Rotten Tomatoes and Captain Marvel!
    I knew this would happen!

As you know Captain Marvel had a rating of less than 30% "want to see"

AND Yesterday Rotten Tomatoes REMOVED THAT SCORE from the site!

As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask? We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number.
    The theory is that Rotten Tomatoes is doing this to protect Captain Marvel.

I knew something would happen with this movie.
    Yesterday my youtube feed was full of video talking about the "want to see" thing of Capt Marvel.
    And now is gone.

Yeah, I do go back and read the old stuff, just at a glacially slow pace. But I tend to find what I enjoy most in the B or C or lower liners with shorter series, even in newer stuff. It just has a general vibe that since people are less uptight about those characters, the authors can get away with having more fun with them.
    Yeah. That's why Gwenpool of all things is one of the best books I've read in years. Such a fantastic, batshit crazy book that I'm guessing the writer was given complete free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted.