Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 51 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    We saw a glimpse of her back story in Avengers Ultron movie, where she was 'de-sexed' by the Russian KGB (I think) and dehumanized into a cold killing machine, not unlike Nikita. When I saw it I just wanted more of it, it was compelling. Worthy of a movie on its own. Did you see Alita Battle Angel? I watched the manga series many years ago but I'm yet to see the new film.
    Read the Manga and then saw the OVA about a few months ago, but I had read the manga years ago. During that weird time when I loved it and the Sailor Moon manga. The movie I've seen twice, and recommend it to everyone. As far as "STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS" she is an incredible character in the manga and very well done by James Cameron in the film. What is a terrible shame is that despite everything, the MSM is focused on worshiping some wooden faced butch lesbian character nobody likes versus what should hit every SJW box (Latina actress, great female character, strong ect) But somehow (Disney Bucks and evil mouse magic) just aren't with Alita.

Infracted
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-28 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Nobody cares about Captain Marvel, all the crap outside the movie is the only thing of any interest. CM wasn't a popular character in comics
    Aquaman wasn’t not only a character nobody cared about 10+ years ago, he was actually a massive butt of every superhero joke.

Who fucking heard of “Guardians of the Galaxy” until the movie? I had a friend back then who was literally yelling at me that they (Disney) would never do anything with the Guardians franchise because nobody knew who the hell they were.

So, don’t barf out stupid lines like “They’re unpopular.” Cus, right now, unpopular seems to be a great formulae for getting a new franchise created.

Nobody cares about Captain Marvel, all the crap outside the movie is the only thing of any interest. CM wasn't a popular character in comics, with umpteen reiterations and reboots. She started way back in the 70s as a sex symbol to eventually become a crew cut muscular lesbian. This film would have struggled even if they had a descent actress who actually liked Marvel fans, but they went with Brie Larson.

As I said earlier, CM isn't well known outside the US, and those who do know the character don't like her or are ambivalent. The only reason this cowpat of a movie will make any money at all is because it will be carried by the Avengers tie in.
    Putting aside your painfully dated sexist malarkey... Who cared about Ant-Man before the movie? Who cared about a talking raccoon and a walking tree before their movie? etc. etc.

Your argument is absurd and I'll leave it at that since further commentary would veer off topic.

Of course they are not, Avengers are always carried by Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Cap America. Black Panther was an anomaly, more of an sjw event than an actual,film. Why would I bother giving a film a chance when the titular character is one I don't like?
    Yes, please don't watch it. I'd much rather be spared from reading your rant about it if you do see it. Your critiques will almost certainly be independent of whether the movie actually sucks or not.

Not some Mary Sue butch Superman rip off who probably refuses to shave her armpits because patriarchy.
    I mean, since this is your take on Captain Marvel (not that its at all surprising), no wonder so many movies etc are offensive to you.

Hell, why are you even posting in this thread??

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Aquaman wasn’t not only a character nobody cared about 10+ years ago, he was actually a massive butt of every superhero joke.

Who fucking heard of “Guardians of the Galaxy” until the movie? I had a friend back then who was literally yelling at me that they (Disney) would never do anything with the Guardians franchise because nobody knew who the hell they were.

So, don’t barf out stupid lines like “They’re unpopular.” Cus, right now, unpopular seems to be a great formula for getting a new franchise created.
    I don't think it matters if something is popular or not. But I think Guardians of the Galaxy was allowed to stand as a movie without its existence being a political statement.

To me, Wokeness signaling is a sign the studio and creators don't have high hopes for the product they are making. The thing that irks people is a mixture of CM being set up as being an all powerful badass and fairly Mary Sue like, but also she is a character that is being inserted into the MCU at the last minute and there is reasonable fear that this unknown character is the savior of all. The political signaling is troubling mainly because it is something a lot of soon to be flops do.

The reason being that if you know you are about to release a dud you can always veer hard on the Wokeness to hedge against the inevitable fallout. Now all criticism is sexism, and if the movie bombs you can go to your hollywood friends and say "Racist/sexist/bigoted America wasn't ready for my Wokeness!" and it saves face. Plus you might get some viewers simply for the political cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Read the Manga and then saw the OVA about a few months ago, but I had read the manga years ago. During that weird time when I loved it and the Sailor Moon manga. The movie I've seen twice, and recommend it to everyone. As far as "STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS" she is an incredible character in the manga and very well done by James Cameron in the film. What is a terrible shame is that despite everything, the MSM is focused on worshiping some wooden faced butch lesbian character nobody likes versus what should hit every SJW box (Latina actress, great female character, strong ect) But somehow (Disney Bucks and evil mouse magic) just aren't with Alita.
    Worse, I saw an article where the sjw were attacking Alita for having a *gasp* sexualised body type. This after the fact they made light of the story that Marvel hired a body butt double for Brie Larson because she has a pancake bum and her outfit looks crap on her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post

So, don’t barf out stupid lines like “They’re unpopular.” Cus, right now, unpopular seems to be a great formulae for getting a new franchise created.
    Aquaman is a well know character, and Jason Mamoa was an inspired casting choice. Compare that to Captain Marvel, which is the exact polar opposite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Putting aside your painfully dated sexist malarkey... Who cared about Ant-Man before the movie? Who cared about a talking raccoon and a walking tree before their movie? etc. etc.

Your argument is absurd and I'll leave it at that since further commentary would veer off topic.
    And Antman made average box office takings.

Yes, please don't watch it. I'd much rather be spared from reading your rant about it if you do see it. Your critiques will almost certainly be independent of whether the movie actually sucks or not.
    Don't worry I won't, but I'll enjoy the countless number of youtube videos bagging the shit out of it, and I'll be here to let you know all about it.

I mean, since this is your take on Captain Marvel (not that its at all surprising), no wonder so many movies etc are offensive to you.

Hell, why are you even posting in this thread??
    Sorry I didn't see the disclaimer at the start of the thread where only Captain Marvel fans and soy boys are allowed to post here...oh wait there isn't one.

Infracted. There have been a half dozen warnings in the past 10 pages.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-02-28 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody cares about Captain Marvel, all the crap outside the movie is the only thing of any interest. CM wasn't a popular character in comics, with umpteen reiterations and reboots. She started way back in the 70s as a sex symbol to eventually become a crew cut muscular lesbian. This film would have struggled even if they had a descent actress who actually liked Marvel fans, but they went with Brie Larson.

As I said earlier, CM isn't well known outside the US, and those who do know the character don't like her or are ambivalent. The only reason this cowpat of a movie will make any money at all is because it will be carried by the Avengers tie in.
    I see your argument but Captain Marvel is more than that.

I used to love Captain Marvel (or as she was known at the time Warbird or Ms Marvel) back in the 80's and 90's. She was always a good side character. The hero herself isnt bad, she was great when put alongside the Avenegrs/Iron Man/X-Men books during that time. Carol Danvers was always a character who was hot headed and bit headstrong and struggled with her own demons and as well as being flawed due to her overconfidence and stubbornness.

Not sure where this 'she was supposed to be a sex symbol' hero came from though, I haven't seen any proof of that. although it was the 70's so it doesn't surprise me. Even in the 90's was was drawn like a Pamela Anderson lol. So who knows maybe you are right :P

The problem is her transition into a solo character, (which has worked before) which hasn't been that good. We can go back to 2012 when they really started trying to make her a figure head of Marvels universe, which I can understand why. Marvel really doesn't have any solo women heroes like DC does, So they wanted Captain Marvel to be the woman to do that.

The problem is while trying to create Marvels main female I do feel they over tried, or tried too hard. As since 2012 I found it so hard to get into her comics. She had her moments. Her recent series Life of Captain Marvel Vol 2 has been awesome so far by the way.

Her run from 2016 has been even worse, with bad writing horrible art work, and the birth of Carol Manvers which is totally warranted due to how awful that art was in her books.

I mean holy shit... I can draw better than that.

So yes they really screwed Captain Marvel over, and most of the writers that try and take her up don;t seem to understand her character at all. And once again maybe thats due to her being a side chaarcter so long.

But once again I like Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is a great hero, it;s just no one has been able to do her justice for the last 7 years. The events of Civil War 2 didn't help either when they made her even more hated when she was on the wrong side of the argument in that. They basically did to her what the first Civil War did to Iron Man, the only comfort is knowing that Iron Man at least recovers from that horrible event and rebuilt fans love of him again because they had good writers to execute that. The writers on Captain Marvel are just making her worse and worse.

And now with the fact she has become the excuse of everything wrong with 'SJW' Marvel makes me sad, because I know she is better than that. We have all seen it when she was Warbird, as MS Marvel as Binery and even as Captain Marvel when she was Captain Marvel before.

I know what Marvel are trying to do with Captain Marvel, but they have gone about it all wrong. I honestly think she just isn't clicking either, her comics are not even selling great but they keep making them. I honestly miss the old Carol Danvers. The side character Carol Danvers who was a far developed and better character than in the hands of writers who write her now. How does that even happen?

Kurt Busiek wrote a great Carol Danvers in his Avengers and Iron Man runs in the late 90's

I just hope that this movie will break that trend, I mean the Disney/Marvel did a better Civil wAr movie than the comics, so here's hoping they do a better Captain Marvel than the comics too :P

EDIT: wow that rant went on for longer than I thought. Whelp off to bed :S
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-02-27 at 11:57 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

This being the movie universe that made a talking raccoon and his plant sidekick a major appeal of a billion-dollar franchise within a franchise, I really don't see the whole "well she's unknown now!!" point standing up to any scrutiny whatsoever. The entire MCU made bank, loads and loads of bank, out of taking mostly B-listers and C-listers and making good movies around them.

You're judging the movie before it comes out based on your politics, then lament that people are being too political.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    One thing that really concerns me is the possibility that CM is the one that ends Thanos.
    I was worried about that as well, but then the theory/“leak” started circulating, that one of Captain Marvel’s powers, that will play a prominent role in her solo film, is time travel. This lead people to theorise that Captain Marvel will be integral to beating Thanos not just because she hits hard (we already have Thor and Hulk for that), but because she can essentially undo Thanos ever having got the gauntlet in the first place.

Then, hopefully, the ACTUAL final fight will involve all the currently alive heroes, and potentially the now unsnapped people, wrecking Thanos’ shit. Hopefully, with the final blow being delivered by one/all of the presumed to be leaving, original trinity (Cap, Stark and Thor).

I would be okay with something along those lines.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I was worried about that as well, but then the theory/“leak” started circulating, that one of Captain Marvel’s powers, that will play a prominent role in her solo film, is time travel. This lead people to theorise that Captain Marvel will be integral to beating Thanos not just because she hits hard (we already have Thor and Hulk for that), but because she can essentially undo Thanos ever having got the gauntlet in the first place.

Then, hopefully, the ACTUAL final fight will involve all the currently alive heroes, and potentially the now unsnapped people, wrecking Thanos’ shit. Hopefully, with the final blow being delivered by one/all of the presumed to be leaving, original trinity (Cap, Stark and Thor).

I would be okay with something along those lines.
    Personally, I still hope there's some kind of "damage" left over, like they can't save everyone or something. I mean OBVS Spiderman gets brought back because thanks Sony but I think the MCU has established itself enough to leave us with a bittersweet ending before the next wave.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    They basically did to her what the first Civil War did to Iron Man,
    Hilariously, she was on the wrong side of that one, too. She's been terrible as a character since way back in her Ms. Marvel run, long before she became Cap Marvel. Hell, I have literally NEVER seen her written as a good character, and that includes her time in the Avengers.

However, anyone saying the movie will fail cause she is "unknown" is pretty foolish. Nobody knew Guardians of the Galaxy either(I've been reading comics for nearly 30 years and prior to the movie if you had asked ME to name 5 Guardians team members I don't think I could have), but it was a huge hit. Hell, go back to 2006, just a couple years before the MCU began...even then, if you had asked the average person on the street who wasn't already into comics to name 10 comic characters most of them would not have listed Iron Man or Thor and not a one of them would have listed Ant Man, Black Panther, Rocket Racoon, Groot, Garmora, Star Lord, or Drax.

I’m going to see it. The visual effects look amazing, the grandma fight will probably be hilarious, we’ll get some cameos I bet, we get to see how nick lost his eye, and it’s based in the best time period: the 90s.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Personally, I still hope there's some kind of "damage" left over
    I have a feeling they’ll pull a bait and switch on us. They’ll “save” all those that were snapped... but then someone else, probably Cap or Tony, will die further down the line, possibly during the final fight with Thanos.

Make everyone think it’s going to be a happy ending, then BOOM. Tragedy.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I have a feeling they’ll pull a bait and switch on us. They’ll “save” all those that were snapped... but then someone else, probably Cap or Tony, will die further down the line, possibly during the final fight with Thanos.

Make everyone think it’s going to be a happy ending, then BOOM. Tragedy.
    Yeah this is my expectation as well. There's a lot of meta reasons this makes sense as well, on of which is that it seems entirely too convenient that none of the original Avengers team got dusted. I wouldn't be surprised if more than one of them die and the rest retire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they are not, Avengers are always carried by Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Cap America. Black Panther was an anomaly, more of an sjw event than an actual,film.
    Curious why you think Black Panther was an 'sjw event'. Was it because the Wakandans showed up to help the inner city kids and the end? If taken out of context, maybe I would agree that this was a ham-fisted 'woke' scene. However, we just saw what happens when the Wakandans ignore such people (Killmonger), so the scene is a justified reaction to the climax of the movie.

Why would I bother giving a film a chance when the titular character is one I don't like?
    Before Raimi's Spiderman 2, I thought superheroes were an outdated relic.

Before The Dark Knight, I thought Batman was lame.

Before the MCU, my only image of Iron Man was a guy walking around in (what looked like) metal spandex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I have never particularly liked the Skrull's. Apparently that means I'm not a fan of Marvel? You do understand that is a stupid opinion to have right? The Marvel Universe is rather big and very few people are going to like every single aspect of it, and just because someone doesn't like one thing out of many possible things to like doesn't mean they are not a fan just because they don't like something that you happen to like.
    Its ok not to like the skrulls, but their importance is pretty high. I dont like Galactus, or any of the celestials TBH, but I understand how epic they are, and how a movie with them in it would not be something I could miss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if more than one of them die and the rest retire.
    I’m guessing Cap will sacrifice himself to save the world because... Cap.

Then Tony will retire to spend time with Pepper and their kid.

Thor will establish New Asgard, and go off to be All-father, meaning he has no time to tit about with The Avengers... but can still come back in a phase or two, should it be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I see your argument but Captain Marvel is more than that.

I used to love Captain Marvel (or as she was known at the time Warbird or Ms Marvel) back in the 80's and 90's. She was always a good side character. The hero herself isnt bad, she was great when put alongside the Avenegrs/Iron Man/X-Men books during that time. Carol Danvers was always a character who was hot headed and bit headstrong and struggled with her own demons and as well as being flawed due to her overconfidence and stubbornness.

Not sure where this 'she was supposed to be a sex symbol' hero came from though, I haven't seen any proof of that. although it was the 70's so it doesn't surprise me. Even in the 90's was was drawn like a Pamela Anderson lol. So who knows maybe you are right :P

The problem is her transition into a solo character, (which has worked before) which hasn't been that good. We can go back to 2012 when they really started trying to make her a figure head of Marvels universe, which I can understand why. Marvel really doesn't have any solo women heroes like DC does, So they wanted Captain Marvel to be the woman to do that.

The problem is while trying to create Marvels main female I do feel they over tried, or tried too hard. As since 2012 I found it so hard to get into her comics. She had her moments. Her recent series Life of Captain Marvel Vol 2 has been awesome so far by the way.

Her run from 2016 has been even worse, with bad writing horrible art work, and the birth of Carol Manvers which is totally warranted due to how awful that art was in her books.

I mean holy shit... I can draw better than that.

So yes they really screwed Captain Marvel over, and most of the writers that try and take her up don;t seem to understand her character at all. And once again maybe thats due to her being a side chaarcter so long.

But once again I like Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is a great hero, it;s just no one has been able to do her justice for the last 7 years. The events of Civil War 2 didn't help either when they made her even more hated when she was on the wrong side of the argument in that. They basically did to her what the first Civil War did to Iron Man, the only comfort is knowing that Iron Man at least recovers from that horrible event and rebuilt fans love of him again because they had good writers to execute that. The writers on Captain Marvel are just making her worse and worse.

And now with the fact she has become the excuse of everything wrong with 'SJW' Marvel makes me sad, because I know she is better than that. We have all seen it when she was Warbird, as MS Marvel as Binery and even as Captain Marvel when she was Captain Marvel before.

I know what Marvel are trying to do with Captain Marvel, but they have gone about it all wrong. I honestly think she just isn't clicking either, her comics are not even selling great but they keep making them. I honestly miss the old Carol Danvers. The side character Carol Danvers who was a far developed and better character than in the hands of writers who write her now. How does that even happen?

Kurt Busiek wrote a great Carol Danvers in his Avengers and Iron Man runs in the late 90's

I just hope that this movie will break that trend, I mean the Disney/Marvel did a better Civil wAr movie than the comics, so here's hoping they do a better Captain Marvel than the comics too :P

EDIT: wow that rant went on for longer than I thought. Whelp off to bed :S
    This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.

I want this to be a good movie, but I have some serious doubts right now. My biggest concern is EndGame will be a big let down after all these years and movies because they decide to shoe horn in a new character(I would feel this way no matter the character they did this with be it Captain Marvel or Silver Surfer etc.) at the last minute to save the day instead of letting the characters they built up after all this time finish things out.

This post pretty much sums up my feelings on all of this. The comic side of things took a great character and turned her into a terrible character primarily because of shit tier writers and artists the last 7 or so years. That could be overlooked given the trend with a lot of Marvel's comics the last 5-10 years while managing to make some rather entertaining movies that felt more inline with older comics. The problem with Captain Marvel is that between the trailers and Larson they are doing a really bad job of assuring people this movie is going to be better than just a reflection of the current crap comics from the last 7 years.

I want this to be a good movie, but I have some serious doubts right now. My biggest concern is EndGame will be a big let down after all these years and movies because they decide to shoe horn in a new character(I would feel this way no matter the character they did this with be it Captain Marvel or Silver Surfer etc.) at the last minute to save the day instead of letting the characters they built up after all this time finish things out.
    This, and the post you quoted, is exactly how I feel, and a lot of people that I usually go to the movies to aswell. We've seen all MCU movies, several even twice, but this one looks... off. And I fear for Endgame, aswell. Deus Ex Machinas never work.

Why is she so powerful?

It was already proven though that they couldn't stop Thanos. They failed. They had their chance in A:IW. They need to pass the baton. Its been 11 years. Its been a good run, but some actors are moving on. Time to move on with them. I honestly cant see anyone else playing any of their parts. Im down for bringing in new characters and letting them take over the reigns. Its that or they just end it.