Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I mean this is the Captain Marvel thread, where the lead actor, while promoting the movie made a racist and sexist comment about the movie. I don't know how much more on topic we can be.
    As the mods have said this thread is about the actual movie, characters ect not the political stuff around it which I agree with as I came to thread to talk about mavel stuff like some pages back where I was posting about captain marvel and ms marvel(khan). I’d rather keep talking about thoses things in here rather then about political stuff some one I had never heard about said before the movie came out and the mods seems to agree.

An off topic thread can have the same discussion without clogging up the movie thread with unrelated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    As the mods have said this thread is about the actual movie, characters ect not the political stuff around it which I agree with as I came to thread to talk about mavel stuff like some pages back where I was posting about captain marvel and ms marvel(khan). I’d rather keep talking about thoses things in here rather then about political stuff some one I had never heard about said before the movie came out and the mods seems to agree.

An off topic thread can have the same discussion without clogging up the movie thread with unrelated stuff.
    Did you or anyone else tell people to stay on topic when they came in to talk about triggering people? I don't think so. So, hahaha. No.

But as long as you agree X races have no business watching and reviewing movies not for them. You don't get to decide it's only one race.

I mean, you could. But that just makes it easier to judge you as racist.

I see TheQuartering crowd still has the pitchforks out for this movie.

Iam watching this on Saturday so iam not looking at this thread so far

EDIT* I will give my thoughts afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched the movie Monday. Not the best marvel film out there, but it was certainly enjoyable to watch.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Ms. Marvel is a female variation of the original captain marvel who was a dude lol. So that doesn't fit your criteria either
    I never stated it was my criteria, but rather the poster YOU were replying to ... did you even actual read their post?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    And the movie still made hundreds of millions of dollars its first weekend because no one gave a damn about their piddling opinions on the matter.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You're right. Just like it's perfectly fine to not want black people to watch or review a movie because it isn't made for them.

There's no context in which it's fine to tell people they have no business reviewing a movie because they are X skin color or gender. Or there is and equality ensures everybody has movies they have no business talking about.
    Do you value everyone's opinion on everything equally? Different people respond to things differently. Videogamedunkey did a great video on the subject talking about game reviews. He points out that if a reviewer doesn't like platformers and you do, then watching their review of a platformer is unlikely to be very informative to you. You have very different perspectives on the game.

Same thing applies to Larsson's comments about "white dudes" reviewing her movie. Women might well respond differently to a female-led superhero movie than men would, and one of those is likely to be more informative to her as a woman. As she later pointed out, this is not about white men not being allowed to review her movie. White dudes need their reviews too. However, there's no shortage of white dudes who like comic book movies making reviews, whereas she'd noticed a lack of women/non-white people.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Do you value everyone's opinion on everything equally? Different people respond to things differently. Videogamedunkey did a great video on the subject talking about game reviews. He points out that if a reviewer doesn't like platformers and you do, then watching their review of a platformer is unlikely to be very informative to you. You have very different perspectives on the game.

Same thing applies to Larsson's comments about "white dudes" reviewing her movie. Women might well respond differently to a female-led superhero movie than men would, and one of those is likely to be more informative to her as a woman. As she later pointed out, this is not about white men not being allowed to review her movie. White dudes need their reviews too. However, there's no shortage of white dudes who like comic book movies making reviews, whereas she'd noticed a lack of women/non-white people.
    I don't increase or reduce value based on the skin color or genitals of people as we see here.

And I take it the opinion of women is not as important as men's opinion of action movies simply because they are not made for them. And we can say the same thing about movie's not starring minorities and their opinion on that. As you said, their opinion is unlikely to be very informative.

And don't you dare run from any of these statements now.

Edit: BTW, what games should black people not comment on since they wouldn't like it?
    Last edited by Dextroden; 2019-03-15 at 11:21 AM.

I don't increase or reduce value based on the skin color or genitals of people as we see here.

And I take it the opinion of women is not as important as men's opinion of action movies simply because they are not made for them. And we can say the same thing about movie's not starring minorities and their opinion on that. As you said, their opinion is unlikely to be very informative.

And don't you dare run from any of these statements now.

Edit: BTW, what games should black people not comment on since they wouldn't like it?
    If a female reviewer consistently hated action movies and gave them bad reviews, her review of one would absolutely be less important to me. If such a reviewer exists, I haven't yet found one.
    As for movies not starring minorities, a negative isn't the same thing. It's absolutely possible for a non-white reviewer to enjoy movies that don't contain minorities. That said, if I were black, then a review of Black Panther from someone who is also black would mean more to me. A white reviewer wouldn't see the movie in the same way, and that's fine. I actually didn't see Black Panther, because I had limited money at the time, and decided to wait for Infinity War instead. To me, as a white guy, Black Panther was just another superhero movie. Other people saw it differently.

As for your last point, I was very clear that it's not a case of people shouldn't comment on things they don't like. More seats, not less. In fact, reviews from people who you know don't like a thing are helpful. If you know that a reviewer is generally lukewarm on superhero movies and they tell you "actually see this one it's great" then you know you should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    If a female reviewer consistently hated action movies and gave them bad reviews, her review of one would absolutely be less important to me. If such a reviewer exists, I haven't yet found one.
    As for movies not starring minorities, a negative isn't the same thing. It's absolutely possible for a non-white reviewer to enjoy movies that don't contain minorities. That said, if I were black, then a review of Black Panther from someone who is also black would mean more to me. A white reviewer wouldn't see the movie in the same way, and that's fine. I actually didn't see Black Panther, because I had limited money at the time, and decided to wait for Infinity War instead. To me, as a white guy, Black Panther was just another superhero movie. Other people saw it differently.

As for your last point, I was very clear that it's not a case of people shouldn't comment on things they don't like. More seats, not less. In fact, reviews from people who you know don't like a thing are helpful. If you know that a reviewer is generally lukewarm on superhero movies and they tell you "actually see this one it's great" then you know you should check it out.
    Wait, so which white male reviewers were giving all the movies she didn't want them to see low scores? I don't recall her using that excuse for her racism.

And equality states reviews from white people matter more for movies without a minority lead. You can't only pick one race to say their opinion matters less. Since I apparently can't have an interest or opinion on movies with no black male lead since that isn't made for me. (Oh. I thought Black Panther was just another hero. But my opinion matters while yours doesn't, says Brie Larson.)

And Brie only brought up skin color and gender. Did she say she didn't want sports reviewers at her action movie? Or white men?

Wait, so which white male reviewers were giving all the movies she didn't want them to see low scores? I don't recall her using that excuse for her racism.

And equality states reviews from white people matter more for movies without a minority lead. You can't only pick one race to say their opinion matters less. Since I apparently can't have an interest or opinion on movies with no black male lead since that isn't made for me. (Oh. I thought Black Panther was just another hero. But my opinion matters while yours doesn't, says Brie Larson.)

And Brie only brought up skin color and gender. Did she say she didn't want sports reviewers at her action movie? Or white men?
    What part of "take this convo elsewhere" and "the Mods warned people about this" escaped your comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    What part of "take this convo elsewhere" and "the Mods warned people about this" escaped your comprehension?
    What part of "Where was your bitching when you did it" are you missing?

What part of "Where was your bitching when you did it" are you missing?
    I got caught up and then came to my damn senses. What's your problem?

EDIT: I take that back. I just called it what it is. Once.

I haven't been partaking in the multi-page bitchfest that you are trailblazing. So no, you're attempt to "get me" is just as crappy as most of your bad faith arguments and questions you pose.
    Last edited by tyrlaan; 2019-03-15 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I got caught up and then came to my damn senses. What's your problem?

EDIT: I take that back. I just called it what it is. Once.

I haven't been partaking in the multi-page bitchfest that you are trailblazing. So no, you're attempt to "get me" is just as crappy as most of your bad faith arguments and questions you pose.
    I don't like cowards who need mods to bail them out.

You had no problem talking about non movie stuff before. Why stop now because you have to argue in favor of racism?

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you or anyone else tell people to stay on topic when they came in to talk about triggering people? I don't think so. So, hahaha. No.

But as long as you agree X races have no business watching and reviewing movies not for them. You don't get to decide it's only one race.

I mean, you could. But that just makes it easier to judge you as racist.

I’ve made zero post about any one being triggered.

I’ve made zero post about any one being triggered.
    No, bun. You didn't tell people to stay on topic when they were talking about the box office pwning Dem evil women haters. So, I'm not moved by you pulling that do try and bail.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, bun. You didn't tell people to stay on topic when they were talking about the box office pwning Dem evil women haters. So, I'm not moved by you pulling that do try and bail.
    I don’t really care if other people stay on topic I’ve been trying to keep my self on topic, though I have had a few slip ups doing so. If you want to talk about the political stuff here go ahead but I’ll have to pass when the mods have said many times not to do so.

Start an off topic thread and shoot me a link and I’d be happy to talk about it but other then that I’m done with any such discussion in a thread not meant for it.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-03-15 at 01:18 PM.

I don’t really care if other people stay on topic I’ve been trying to keep my self on topic, though I have had a few slip ups doing so. If you want to talk about the political stuff here go ahead but I’ll have to pass when the mods have said many times not to do so.

Start an off topic thread and shoot me a link and I’d be happy to talk about it but other then that I’m done with any such discussion in a thread not meant for it.
    Yes, I'm sure you would be. I'll get the clip and work on that op.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...4#post50961654

For the people who said they'd talk about it elsewhere.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Well, they are kind of dumb (in a way)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.