Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Everything past the conversation between Diana and Ares in the observation tower in the final act is complete and utter nonsense, and ignores everything leading up to it. The movie was great until that last section of the final act;

1> Diana's whole character arc was to be horrified by the violence humanity does to itself. The final note is Ares pointing out it isn't even him; they do it to themselves.

2> Ares has revealed himself as a master manipulator. He's also literally the God of War, and the only extant God because he fought all the other Gods at once and killed every single one, because that's War, and he's the fucking God of it.

3> Diana's response to this is to get angry and try and kill him, even though he's not causing the war; the entire motive she had prior to this. Why? Because he's smug?

4> They fight, Trevor dies in a completely unrelated noble sacrifice, Diana goes fucking apeshit and murders a whole bunch of German soldiers just for being there because she's angry her almost-boyfriend did a noble thing. Seriously, this whole scene should be seen as horrifying, not noble.

5> Diana and Ares fight some more, until Diana out-wars the God of War because fuck you. Literal deus ex machina; she can beat him because TADA, she's actually a God, and has powers she never knew she had and which were never even hinted at any point prior to their use in this climactic scene. Ares also stops being smart for some reason. Just fucking argh.

The rest of the film was fantastic. Everything past that conversation in the observation tower? Complete dogshit. It only gets worse on repeat viewings, too.

To bring this back, I think WW would have been better with Trevor having a crush, but Diana never noticing. They push romantic sidelines into these films for no reason other than they feel it's needed, and it isn't. And the team behind Captain Marvel knew this. There isn't even a hint of a romance subplot in the film. Not even a bad one she overcomes. And the film's stronger for it. Really, basically none of the Marvel heroes are defined by romantic entanglements. Vision and Scarlet Witch are strongly their own people, and were established separately; their subsequent romance feels natural. And for the rest, the romantic subplots inform character (Hawkeye and his family, for instance), or are there mostly for humour (Tony and Pepper Potts. It works well, but it's never not played for humor.) They're never a real focus of the story, whereas they tried to center Wonder Woman entirely on her relationship with Trevor. And it falls apart, because they didn't really have one.
    She doesnt deus ex machina Ares. She literally beats Ares with love. Trevor shows Diana love, in a personal way and in a humankind way via his self sacrifice. Once she realizes Ares understanding of humanity is limited, she has more complete knowledge and bests Ares immediately.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    She doesnt deus ex machina Ares. She literally beats Ares with love. Trevor shows Diana love, in a personal way and in a humankind way via his self sacrifice. Once she realizes Ares understanding of humanity is limited, she has more complete knowledge and bests Ares immediately.
    A giant lightning bolt that makes Ares blow up isn't "love".

Murdering a bunch of German soldiers because she's angry at losing Trevor isn't "love".

And no, I'm not mischaracterizing that last bit. She sees Trevor die, she screams in anger/loss/frustration, explodes with power, murders a bunch of Germans.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-07 at 08:25 PM.

Everything past the conversation between Diana and Ares in the observation tower in the final act is complete and utter nonsense, and ignores everything leading up to it. The movie was great until that last section of the final act;

1> Diana's whole character arc was to be horrified by the violence humanity does to itself. The final note is Ares pointing out it isn't even him; they do it to themselves.

2> Ares has revealed himself as a master manipulator. He's also literally the God of War, and the only extant God because he fought all the other Gods at once and killed every single one, because that's War, and he's the fucking God of it.

3> Diana's response to this is to get angry and try and kill him, even though he's not causing the war; the entire motive she had prior to this. Why? Because he's smug?

4> They fight, Trevor dies in a completely unrelated noble sacrifice, Diana goes fucking apeshit and murders a whole bunch of German soldiers just for being there because she's angry her almost-boyfriend did a noble thing. Seriously, this whole scene should be seen as horrifying, not noble.

5> Diana and Ares fight some more, until Diana out-wars the God of War because fuck you. Literal deus ex machina; she can beat him because TADA, she's actually a God, and has powers she never knew she had and which were never even hinted at any point prior to their use in this climactic scene. Ares also stops being smart for some reason. Just fucking argh.

The rest of the film was fantastic. Everything past that conversation in the observation tower? Complete dogshit. It only gets worse on repeat viewings, too.

To bring this back, I think WW would have been better with Trevor having a crush, but Diana never noticing. They push romantic sidelines into these films for no reason other than they feel it's needed, and it isn't. And the team behind Captain Marvel knew this. There isn't even a hint of a romance subplot in the film. Not even a bad one she overcomes. And the film's stronger for it. Really, basically none of the Marvel heroes are defined by romantic entanglements. Vision and Scarlet Witch are strongly their own people, and were established separately; their subsequent romance feels natural. And for the rest, the romantic subplots inform character (Hawkeye and his family, for instance), or are there mostly for humour (Tony and Pepper Potts. It works well, but it's never not played for humor.) They're never a real focus of the story, whereas they tried to center Wonder Woman entirely on her relationship with Trevor. And it falls apart, because they didn't really have one.
    Pretty sure her powers are hinted at earlier in the movie in the "training montage" thingy. See a shockwave thingy there ( been a while, can't quite remember).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellomania View Post
    Pretty sure her powers are hinted at earlier in the movie in the "training montage" thingy. See a shockwave thingy there ( been a while, can't quite remember).
    The shockwave thing, sure. The "absorb lightning and then blast it back"? That's not even hinted at before the time she uses it on Ares.

The shockwave thing, sure. The "absorb lightning and then blast it back"? That's not even hinted at before the time she uses it on Ares.
    True that, they weren't very good with the hinting there.

5+ Year Old Account
    I finally watched the movie and it wasn't nearly as bad as people said it was. I'd give it a 7.5/10, because there were some things I felt could've done better. In the end, the trailer really didn't do the movie justice and did not show the lead actress at her best.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I don't know what more ridiculous... the people judging the movie based on the shit Brie was spewing or the ones going "TAKE DAT INCELS!", jesus fuck.
    its almost like people have standards for the film actors they go to see.
    #boycottchina

saving space
    Trevor is something she has never seen before and behaves unlike what she was told of course she was going to want to bang him. The whole point to it is that its a love lost that never gets completely fulfilled and also gives her a tie to humanity so she will never forget that there are people worth saving. Also its alot more accurate to the comics then all the changes they did with captain marvel.

Yeah the whole Ares killing all the gods and Zeus making Diana as a weapon was pretty dumb. I could only see it possibly making sense if Ares just goaded/influenced everyone into killing each other and Zeus only realized it to late to do anything in his weakend state and the human/amazon part of Diana is actually what makes her capable of taking on and killing Ares as she isn't restricted to one gimmick like most gods. The lighting thing I think is just to show she is the daughter of Zeus while her anger was to show the Amazons are not these perfect beings they are just like humans also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Usually those standards are performance based(unless the person is a predator or the like), but we all know how you do.
    So if their a sexual predator their bad, but if their entitled sexiest snowflakes its okay. Gotcha

- - - Updated - - -

That makes no fucking sense.
    It wouldn't to you, I can tell.
    #boycottchina

7+ Year Old Account
    Goose was the best character out of all characters in Captain Marvel.

ALL.
    HAIL.
    GOOSE.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danare View Post
    Goose was the best character out of all characters in Captain Marvel.

ALL.
    HAIL.
    GOOSE.
    best character? you're kitten me, right?

- - - Updated - - -

"This movie is shit because the actress says dumb shit."

"This painting is crap because the painter is a criminal."

"This music is garbage because one member of the band is rude."

Yeah dude, it all makes sense... but sure mate, you clearly can tell a lot of shit.
    so much this. I go and see a movie because I like the movie, not because of what the actors personally believe. hell, you're not gonna stop me listening to Michael Jackson - sure, he was pretty fuckin creepy but yeah still a good musician

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Trevor is something she has never seen before and behaves unlike what she was told of course she was going to want to bang him. The whole point to it is that its a love lost that never gets completely fulfilled and also gives her a tie to humanity so she will never forget that there are people worth saving. Also its alot more accurate to the comics then all the changes they did with captain marvel.
    I didn't really have an issue with a sexually liberated woman banging the first hot guy she meets, he is just lucky he got to die before they had to like, settle down and find an apartment and realize they have nothing in common. It's as "romantic" as Titanic.

Yeah the whole Ares killing all the gods and Zeus making Diana as a weapon was pretty dumb. I could only see it possibly making sense if Ares just goaded/influenced everyone into killing each other and Zeus only realized it to late to do anything in his weakend state and the human/amazon part of Diana is actually what makes her capable of taking on and killing Ares as she isn't restricted to one gimmick like most gods. The lighting thing I think is just to show she is the daughter of Zeus while her anger was to show the Amazons are not these perfect beings they are just like humans also.
    The god of war being better at fighting than gods of other stuff and Diana not being bound by that same limitation is workable, though not sure how that interacts with other demigods of the time. Maybe because she wasn't drafted into the Pantheon and assigned a role. It's also worth noting that Ares was severely weakened by the war and never recovered.

Mostly though, it's worth remembering that Snyder was somewhat involved in WW and it shows in that ending. The main issue I had with the ending really was the sword gets destroyed, but isn't it the same sword she has later on? Does she get a new sword forged and if so is it any better than a sword ordered online? ("It's an amazonian sword" "no, you ordered it on Amazon, there's a differece!") I don't mind that the power was in her all along, fairly standard trope/ setup, but destroying the sword wasn't needed for that I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    so much this. I go and see a movie because I like the movie, not because of what the actors personally believe. hell, you're not gonna stop me listening to Michael Jackson - sure, he was pretty fuckin creepy but yeah still a good musician
    Cosby cost the cast a lot of money, and I don't see anyone giving Roseanne another shot. Granted that's TV, not a movie, but a lot of this stuff only goes to the one side. You can be "women power!" or "black power!" but try it with "white power" and see the crowd go quiet.

I didn't think the reviewer stuff was a big deal really. I always find the "this movie isn't for you" crap to be just that, crap. Unless you're letting your little girl walk to the theater to see Wrinkle In Time by herself, the movie does need to have something for adults in it. Most childrens programming has adult-oriented jokes/ material in it on some level for that reason. The idea that your target audience is your only audience is ignorant. But, it didn't like, offend me. I figured the movie would be okay, and it was okay, and so be it.

I did find the "smile" backlash to ring of Gamergate style over reaction. Instead of a reply of "kree don't smile", it's "oh, so all women are just dolls to you, to sit around and look pretty so you can masturbate in your parents basement, huh loser?" As for how it affected the final product, I think it had some of the same "acting in a box" that plagued the star wars prequels. Didn't seem like actors were in the same scene at times.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

Cosby cost the cast a lot of money, and I don't see anyone giving Roseanne another shot. Granted that's TV, not a movie, but a lot of this stuff only goes to the one side. You can be "women power!" or "black power!" but try it with "white power" and see the crowd go quiet.
    because the very term "white power" has been wholly corrupted by organisations like the KKK and others. plus, let's be honest: white men have basically run the world for the last few hundred years and now that women and people with different coloured skin are wanting equality - not female dominance, not white men losing their place in the world but equality - people are up in arms about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    because the very term "white power" has been wholly corrupted by organisations like the KKK and others. plus, let's be honest: white men have basically run the world for the last few hundred years and now that women and people with different coloured skin are wanting equality - not female dominance, not white men losing their place in the world but equality - people are up in arms about it.
    Right, so you agree that there is a double standard for such things, you just think it's justified. So if an actor was out there talking about white power and preserving european culture and other such buzzwords, would you ignore it and see the movie, or boycott?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Right, so you agree that there is a double standard for such things, you just think it's justified. So if an actor was out there talking about white power and preserving european culture and other such buzzwords, would you ignore it and see the movie, or boycott?
    The amount of ignorance and veiled racism contained in this post is not unexpected.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I mean, I still watch Mel Gibson movies.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, I still watch Mel Gibson movies.
    Me too.

I usually assume actors are nuts until they adequately display otherwise. Hell, I'm still wondering if/when RDJ will implode.

The real test:
    Can you re-watch Beetlejuice or Ferris Bueller's Day Off even though Jeffrey Jones is in it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Hell, I'm still wondering if/when RDJ will implode.
    Again? I figure he had enough self destruction already, he spent a decade on it, hard to figure on it recurring.
    /s

Me too.

I usually assume actors are nuts until they adequately display otherwise. Hell, I'm still wondering if/when RDJ will implode.

The real test:
    Can you re-watch Beetlejuice or Ferris Bueller's Day Off even though Jeffrey Jones is in it?
    I think he's learned his lesson and is probably extremely grateful for the success and life that he has now.

I can watch those movies with Jones in it. Hell, love Mom and Dad Save the World.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Me too.

The real test:
    I don't know what Jones did, so as long as you don't tell me and I don't google it, sure!
    I honestly can't remember the last Mel Gibson movie I watched, but then I don't watch a lot of movies. I was never a big fan, really.