Poll: Who is the most iconic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    how the hell you not have superman, he is by far more iconic then anyone on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    how the hell you not have superman, he is by far more iconic then anyone on that list.
    Thats likely the point of his omission.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Really, pulling the Solo card? Solo didn't flop because it didn't have lightsabers in it; Rogue One did just fine before people even realised Vader was gnna pull out a lightsaber at all. Solo flopped because of poor marketing, sequel trilogy controversy and lack of interest because no one asked for a Solo origin story.

No, I'm not acting like 'every Batman film was made by Joel Schumacher', I perfectly enjoyed the DC Animated Universe and Christopher Nolan depictions of the character tyvm. I'm arguing you shouldn't parade Batman is more iconic just because he's older and has had more frequent representation.

Actually, Batman is part of multiple universes, because depending on the author/director/writer, Batman has more than one interpretation, unlike Vader whom, like every SW character, is part of the same universe. In one universe Batman can't beat the Joker in a fistfight, in another he can defeat Superman without using Kryptonite.
    No, it doesn't diminish the brand or development, because that's not what we were arguing over in that regard. It diminishes the relatability of his character when you take into account there are effectively multiple Batman.
    Ok, I'll accept that Batman if you dig deep is way more complex (convoluted even) than Vader who what you see is what you get. But Batman transcends that, little kids and older people who watch his movies aren't worrying about the 30 Earths DC has, the comics are a different beast, more expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I'd say Batman and I am shocked Vader is winning. Are we talking worldwide brand recognition or personal taste here? It's no contest if world recognition, Batman has been around since 1939 and has ALWAYS been popular. Darth Vader has been around since 1977, and he's the villain, not even the protagonist of his franchise, and doesn't even appear in every installment of said franchise. Batman is known and has been watched by millions more than Vader/Star Wars simply due to his longevity. The only choice that's even a close runner up would be Spider-man. The Joker falls under the same category as Vader.

Don't know what Dr. Doom is even doing there either. lol Superman should have been in this and then it would be a clear sweep, a study was done where it was surmised the Superman logo, McDonalds arc and the cross are recognized everywhere, even in the Himalayas.
    1939 was a logo time ago ....

Shit, 1977 was a long time ago. Even in this country, but especially globally, Star Wars is A LOT more popular than Batman is. Check out the numbers, box office sales, toy sales (I have a kid, Batman toys are very few and typically occupying clearance bins), TV, video games (even Lego video games, Star Wars has multiple titles that have each outsold the entire Batman franchise, including non Lego Batman games).

Damn, now that I really look at this... you might want to get more in touch with reality if you think Batman is even remotely comparable to Star Wars in terms of popularity, let alone "no contest" in being more popular.

DC wouldn't be able to sell Batman for 1/10 of what Lucas got from Disney.

- - - Updated - - -

Halloween costumes. Was just checking some out, there's more variants of some of the popular SW characters than there are entire Batman universe costumes.

you can probably go to some random village in a third world country and see some kid that never even seen a TV wearing a batman t-shirt, or the current warlord of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Sure, through a specific lense.
    Coincidentally, I know more people that watch SW than Batman, because SW is a more cohesive universe when it comes to power levels; a rich kid with lots of issues sharing a universe with an alien that looks just like a human but gets laser eyes because Earth has a yellow sun isn't that believable to some.

Funny how anecdotal evidence works amiright.
    Most people, aside from comic book nerds, don't even realize that supes and batman are in the same universe. When you look at just the Hollywood version of Batman, aside from the latest merger, it is way more believable because it exists on earth with no magical powers. His gadgets are all he has. Lots of them are sci-fi, but at least they aren't 'magic.'

Either Batman or Darth Vader. Its hard to say who has the edge

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Vader is easily the most iconic on the list. Name one line Batman has that permeates pop culture the way Vader has?
    "I'm the goddamn batman."?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

hard choice between vader and the joker.

but i'd have to go with vader, because there's only really one version of joker that's the most iconic, and that's mark hamil joker.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    1939 was a logo time ago ....

Shit, 1977 was a long time ago. Even in this country, but especially globally, Star Wars is A LOT more popular than Batman is. Check out the numbers, box office sales, toy sales (I have a kid, Batman toys are very few and typically occupying clearance bins), TV, video games (even Lego video games, Star Wars has multiple titles that have each outsold the entire Batman franchise, including non Lego Batman games).

Damn, now that I really look at this... you might want to get more in touch with reality if you think Batman is even remotely comparable to Star Wars in terms of popularity, let alone "no contest" in being more popular.

DC wouldn't be able to sell Batman for 1/10 of what Lucas got from Disney.

- - - Updated - - -

Halloween costumes. Was just checking some out, there's more variants of some of the popular SW characters than there are entire Batman universe costumes.
    Ok, you're misunderstanding, you're comparing Batman to STAR WARS, not Darth Vader. Darth Vader is the villain of Star Wars, he's not even the hero, that would be Luke. He may be considered the face and most popular, but there is no DARTH VADER BRAND. There is no Darth Vader movie, or Darth Vader comics, or his own animated show, etc. Batman carries his own brand, has his own films, animated series, and brand that sells. Vader is part of the STAR WARS brand, don't twist that to make Vader seem more iconic. Without Star Wars, there would be no Darth Vader, whereas Batman as a standalone brand existed before DC Comics became the monster it is.

And you must be high to think Disney wouldn't throw the bank at Warner Bros. if they thought there was even remotely a chance they could buy the Batman property and make it part of their Marvel Films division. Batman is a proven profitable power house and there's nothing the House of Mouse won't pay if they could make a huge profit off it in the future. As for if it would be as much as Star Wars money? That's debatable and really, a different discussion. The point of this thread is MOST iconic, Batman or Vader, not Batman or Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Oooo, tough choice between Vader or Batman. Had to go for Vader though.
    That was my debate too, I also went with Vader. That's another notch on Vader's belt- not many can beat Batman.

Where's Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Vader is easily the most iconic on the list. Name one line Batman has that permeates pop culture the way Vader has?
    My first thought wasn't even lines.

I'd be surprised if most people don't immediately recognize Vader just by playing audio of the breathing.

I doubt there's any line from Batman that would be equally recognizable except for "I'm Batman!".

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    My first thought wasn't even lines.

I'd be surprised if most people don't immediately recognize Vader just by playing audio of the breathing.

I doubt there's any line from Batman that would be equally recognizable except for "I'm Batman!".
    All it takes is one bad day. To the batmobile! Etc etc
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

I honestly was thinking Vader over Batman by far, but because 'most iconic' can mean many things to many people, just decided to leave it up to whoever had the most google results.

The findings:

Batman - 451m
    Superman - 293m
    Vader - 110m

Batman win folks...he even beats Superman. Google says so...case closed!

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    I honestly was thinking Vader over Batman by far, but because 'most iconic' can mean many things to many people, just decided to leave it up to whoever had the most google results.

The findings:

Batman - 451m
    Superman - 293m
    Vader - 110m

Thank you.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I voted for batman because it was the obvious choice. People over estimate star wars influence because its popular with a certain demographic that frequents these forums
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post

The findings:

Batman - 451m
    Superman - 293m
    Vader - 110m

Except in the case of Batman & Superman, they're also the names of the movies/franchises.

If you check "Star Wars" its more than those two combined.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Deadpool

/10 char