Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    "Dry and crumbly" is not exactly a stellar review for a sausage.
    Being dry and crumbly is probably just because it's very lean normally when making sausage you add some extra fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    They will adapt, those who don't will have to move on to new professions, just like the candle and carriage makers before them.
    These days changes are coming along at a much rapid pace than in the past. It took Uber and Airbnb less than 9 years to totally change worldwide taxi industry and rental market (also hotel industry).

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, stop making arguments those words accurately describe.

This is nonsense. The cow that grew up on a field has been potentially exposed to all kinds of pesticides and chemicals and such, not to mention diseases. The farmers try and mitigate that, but their farms aren't closed systems, even if they're not using those things themselves.

Meat grown in a lab can be ensured to have no contact with any such substances. There's literally no reason at all to think it would be unhealthy; it's like saying you don't trust pennicilin because it's produced in a lab, so you're going to stick with your moldy bread compresses. It's that level of bananas.
    Again. Takes only one guy to find something that makes their meat grow faster than their competition. Suddenly everyone is using some weird shit to make it faster, fatter, jucier....

If you compare my concerns to moldy bread bananas, i can only say that you're as naive as a little child.

How long till it end up in most grocery stores?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    A massive chunk of all arable land (the stuff used for farming) goes towards the production of livestock. Land for them to graze and other food for them to eat, as well as massive amounts of drinkable water.
    That land, however, is not suitable for growing fruit or crops for humans. It's good enough for grass and grains, for animals, not for us. There is not enough good arable land in the world to feed everyone if we all go vegetarian. We'd have to cut down all rainforests and even then, I think, it wasn't quite enough. Not saying we should continue as we are, but just saying that 'arable land' myth should diaf already.

- - - Updated - - -

Vegetarian sausages taste like meat sausages... You don't even taste the meat in them, it's all spices. Try making a steak and see how that works out.

It will be interesting to see how many people will want to eat lab-grown human meat.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    That land, however, is not suitable for growing fruit or crops for humans. It's good enough for grass and grains, for animals, not for us. There is not enough good arable land in the world to feed everyone if we all go vegetarian. We'd have to cut down all rainforests and even then, I think, it wasn't quite enough. Not saying we should continue as we are, but just saying that 'arable land' myth should diaf already.

- - - Updated - - -

Vegetarian sausages taste like meat sausages... You don't even taste the meat in them, it's all spices. Try making a steak and see how that works out.
    Sry but I have to reply to that; What do you think animals eat?

The biggest part of the food they consume are Crops which are farmed and you need a shit ton of them to get them ready for slaughter. The opposite is correct. If we would all go vegan (not an option for me e.g.) we would need a lot less land.

I think most people interested in cultured meat are probably familiar with vertical farming at this point, which essentially the concept of growing crops in large stacked, layers to maximize space with lighting systems similar to the ones used in greenhouses with no need for pesticides or herbicides.

These aren't vegatarian sausages, they're sausages made from meat grown from pig cells in a lab.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post

The biggest part of the food they consume are Crops which are farmed and you need a shit ton of them to get them ready for slaughter. The opposite is correct. If we would all go vegan (not an option for me e.g.) we would need a lot less land.
    You think animals eat the kind of crop we eat?

- - - Updated - - -

These aren't vegatarian sausages, they're sausages made from meat grown from pig cells in a lab.
    Duh. My point is that EVEN veggy sausages taste like regular sausages, so it's not surprising that cultured meat sausage taste like meat sausages. It's all spices. The meat does just about shit all for the taste.

You think animals eat the kind of crop we eat?

- - - Updated - - -

Duh. My point is that EVEN veggy sausages taste like regular sausages, so it's not surprising that cultured meat sausage taste like meat sausages. It's all spices. The meat does just about shit all for the taste.
    My bad then.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post

Yeah, humans eat grains too. It's more efficient for us to simply grow the grains we'd feed livestock and then eat those grains than it is to feed those grains to livestock and then eat the livestock. Also, we could just grow a fuckton of trees in those areas, to make up for the countless ones we're cutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Nothing will ever beat the meat off the bone for me but more power to the people that wanna eat this stuff.
    They'll be able to grow the bones eventually as well.

At a certain point, cultured meat will be higher quality, cheaper and indistinguishable from animal meat. The technology is advancing rapidly, the sky is the limit really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fallasleep View Post
    I don't think it's unethical to eat animals and I don't see how it's bad for the environment either.
    Are you kidding?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    How long till it end up in most grocery stores?
    I'd say it'll become widely commercially available in... 5-10 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I think most people interested in cultured meat are probably familiar with vertical farming at this point, which essentially the concept of growing crops in large stacked, layers to maximize space with lighting systems similar to the ones used in greenhouses with no need for pesticides or herbicides.
    How can be vertical farming be solution to anything? On a normal land sun shines to crops and needing extra light is not a problem. The vertical farms aren't good enough for that and need extra supplemental light. In essence wasting lot of energy on that. You could argue they can use solar panels to get that energy, but not only is it expensive, but also very inefficient converting sunlight to electrical energy and then back to light. So it's very costly and can't compete with your standard food.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    If nothing else, it'll be hilarious to watch the main veggie argument vanish without a trace.
    That's one of the primary benefits of cultured meat - no animals harmed in the making of this product.

Of course, many vegetarians and vegans have other reasons not to eat meat, so they will still exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They'll be able to grow the bones eventually as well.

At a certain point, cultured meat will be higher quality, cheaper and indistinguishable from animal meat. The technology is advancing rapidly, the sky is the limit really.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say it'll become widely commercially available in... 5-10 years?
    What is that chart supposed to tell me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yeah, humans eat grains too. It's more efficient for us to simply grow the grains we'd feed livestock and then eat those grains than it is to feed those grains to livestock and then eat the livestock. Also, we could just grow a fuckton of trees in those areas, to make up for the countless ones we're cutting down.
    Yeah, nice, bread all day every day. That's not a viable solution and you know that. Also planting trees is nice, but it won't be the same kind of trees that we are cutting down (you can't plant a rainforest in Holland for example) and we'd need to relocate all the wildlife from the forests we cut down to the forests we plant. Also not viable.

Look, it's good to eat less meat. It's good to change the way we keep animals, to minimize abuse. It's fine to go vegetarian. Everyone vegetarian is just not possible and not helping anything.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Yeah, nice, bread all day every day. That's not a viable solution and you know that. Also planting trees is nice, but it won't be the same kind of trees that we are cutting down (you can't plant a rainforest in Holland for example) and we'd need to relocate all the wildlife from the forests we cut down to the forests we plant. Also not viable.

Look, it's good to eat less meat. It's good to change the way we keep animals, to minimize abuse. It's fine to go vegetarian. Everyone vegetarian is just not possible and not helping anything.
    We already make plenty of beans, ruffage, soy, peanuts, etc. to fill our protein needs beyond meat. I've seen studies that show meat only provides a fraction of the protein and calories we need to get by day-to-day, unless you're the sort of person who only eats meat.

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, nor am I going to stop eating it any time soon, but even I see that we waste too many resources on the production of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by fallasleep View Post
    What is that chart supposed to tell me.
    Try reading it.

And then try thinking about it. It hurts at first but eventually you get the hang of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Try reading it.

And then try thinking about it. It hurts at first but eventually you get the hang of it.
    How about you try explaining it. Unless you don't understand it yourself.

How the fuck am I supposed to hunt a lab to get it’s meat?????