Poll: Favorite 'PvP' era

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Healers didn't feel totally fucking invincible back then, and it was better for it.
    This is in my opinion one of the main problems with PvP, in recent expansions healers have been VASTLY overbudget. Most well designed games know that healers should not be able to survive 1v1 with a dps indefinitely, and certainly without burning through their mana. They MUST require a group to support and peel for them to become valuable, otherwise they are simply too powerful and overbudget compared to the other specs.
    They make the game unfun. They ruin the 2v2 bracket entirely because (as stated) they are vastly overbudget which makes dps/dps setups more or less completely unviable. They make battlegrounds unfun, which ever side has the most/better healers more or less wins by default. They make world pvp unfun, because the second a healer is involved the target becomes unkillable. They require band aid fixes like battle fatigue in arena to try and curb the fact that they are simply way too strong.

Why does a disc priest get a permanent 30% shieldwall simply for being in healer spec? A cloth spec with more baseline damage resistance than the heaviest plate, in addition to being able to switch heal schools so that interrupts don't even matter? Why are healers so tanky? The design is completely skewed. It's madness. (note that I think healers should be able to contribute more damage, to have at least a chance of killing a dps in exchange for being able to be killed themselves).

Voted Wotlk with MoP being a close second. Timeless Isle was best world pvp in the game so far, wotlk talent system was the best for diversity. Hybrid builds were the best fun.

tbc + wrath pvp were the closest the game ever was to just pvp'ing moving target dummies. Definitely the most thoughtless pvp ever was.

WotLK is top really? Must be a lot of DK / Paladin mains in here.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Players that didn't / don't do much rated pvp would have voted wotlk. MoP was definitely the best, by far, but ppl that didn't arena look back on wg (which was really fun), and focus on that for what pvp in wrath was.
    or maybe played dk or paladin. I remember it from the warlock perspective and it felt like reaching max lvl in in BfA, we were stripped off all our power compared to TBC.

1k winter was never really a thing...it was not even fun, stupid scaling making outnumbered faction overpowered there prevented this - maybe the scaling started here for the first time in wows history? I do not remember scaling mechanics in TBC at least?

Realy not a fan of that stupid Bg with walls and machines, nothing in comparission to Timless Isle fun, that with servers with 1 sides faction balance was a great relief! Cross servers were not fully implemented back then, when it comes to endgame zones.

TBC was great for casual pvp too, i started here in the random bgs and they felt alive, imagine no overpowered healers except resil stacked druids(that know their stuff and they are rather rare back in the days, becaue even if they are half immortal they still die in a locks fear without expierence to rub walls proberly), less botting, more activity all around, few stupid bg designs that you get dragged into, it was a perfect expierence how wild, unorganized pvp should be.

Stuff was unbalanced, but everyone had fun.

Nowdays designers definatley managed to patch all the fun out of this kind of pvp and all you can do is rated arena, if you play the right spec/class.

Blizz is trying hard to implement new systems into pvp, but they fail miserably giving that tension, fun, gear progression feel back. Who needs high ilvl gear, when its only effective in pve instances? Even world mobs scale up! I would not pull multiple mobs without evasion up as a rogue, mobs really hit hard in BfA once you got gear, maybe their dmg is also % scaled to your characters hp bar? Bet tanks and range dds won't notice this much, though.

Just think the pvp systems should scale back to what it was and could be in better hands - whenever i enter a pvp instance i would love to have a window showing me all the changes other than praying that my tooltips are showing correct stats. Btw is there an addon for this?

Also, gear schould not be gear, pvp gear should be better, have pvp power on them at least if there is a global resil aura, and certainly pvp set bonus that is class specific and creative.

The old days were definatly better and made more fun, no nostalgia involved here. Its a fact. Its complete BS that some selected classes are stronger/weaker by desing and hidden pvp templates - only the stat template was removed if we compare legion to bfa. talent/ability template is fully there in addition to some insane, very stupid scaling mechanics, implemented basicly since legion, just that bfa got it worser. Or why its good that healers have teammates with low hp to fill up their hp bar faster, while dmg is sill %scaled to a hp bar?

I think its time for a fresh and new pvp design team, that played in vanilla/tbc/wtolk/cata/mop

15+ Year Old Account
    I like vanilla+TBC where anyone could be globaled and almost anyone could global someone and healers had insane burst healing, but their sustained wasn't anywhere what it is now. You could oom healers, mana tide was actually used, innervates and evocations were actually used, people used to sit and drink in arena.

But I also loved Wintergrasp. WotlK might've been the sweet spot of globaling people and sustained fights. WotlK was also the pinnacle of Elemental pvp, so yeah, I'll take Wrath.

Cata is where healthpools started to reach astronomical levels and you needed a raid party to take down a resto druid and healers could just heal until the end of time. Tol Barad killed PVP for me and I quit my main after that.

I'd say Vanilla,but realisticly I just want the old 1.7 AV back

Wrath because after four years of being the butt of jokes, Ret for a very brief time got to swipe the smugness right off of naysayers' mouths.

TBC through to MOP imo. BC being my fav and Wrath being second favorite.

World pvp in vanilla was great, but also in BC - which had arena, which is probably why it's my favorite expansion.
    Last edited by Evelyn; 2018-09-21 at 08:22 AM. Reason: 5's was fun

Cata is at top for me. Had a blast that expansion. Much of the fun I know is because that is the expansion I started to learn how to play properly. I learned to make macros and I had key binds for everything (finally letting go of my clicker ways). I played feral druid, which was fun (yes, I know, they were kinda OP) and fire mage, which was not as strong as frost, but still fun. I played fire mage/ frost mage/ disc priest in 3s and got 2k. Deep freeze burst with 2 mages was amazing. That was the good old days when fire got a crit multiplier for frozen targets as well.

wotlk >>>> mop = tbc >>>> cata = vanilla >>>>>>>> wod >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bfa = legion
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2018-09-21 at 08:29 AM.

Deleted
    wotlk hands down.
    it was before pruning
    there was wintergrasp
    no templates
    and pvp gear vendors
    as well as some pieces blocked behind rating

Quote Originally Posted by Divinexve View Post
    Just wanna know your favorite pvp iterations
    Personally, I liked MoP the most.
    I never got into high level pvp so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt but... I really liked Cata's as a warrior. Wrath felt really good as a Ret paladin too. Beginning of mop was completely lol as a warrior. Roll proc and completely shut down every caster in the game with gag order + interrupts. I think I got to 1800 in BC? We were going with 2 sl/sl warlocks in 2s but it stopped being fun after a while and that was towards the end of the expac. My favorite was cata though.

I would have to say BFA, it feels nice that healers can't just go "Holy shock for 80% of my hp" and actually need to cast or use cooldowns. Also the healing debuff just feels great.

I think if Prot-Holy didn't exist & the healing debuff did in Wrath that would have probably been my favorite. As BFA certainly has it's issues (DHs can just get out) but overall it feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    WotLK is top really? Must be a lot of DK / Paladin mains in here.
    Most of the expansion PvP took place at S8, which is where most people's memories remain and in S8 Dks/Pallies were fine.

I personally played a feral and I still love that expansion because every single class had a LOT of identity and the toolkit of each class was very unique. For instance, as I feral I did not have a direct kick ability like today (skull bash), but I could use bear charge (which would work as a kick), it was even off GCD so you could bear charge + kick immediately, assuming the target was 8 yards away from the target).

Most of the usage of my kit also had some risk / loss applied to it, increasing the skill cap by a huge amount. I lost the count of how many times I won a game playing kitty cleave because I sacrificed some damage to get to bear form and use bash on the target or stopped to hard cast a clone / roots or even stopped for a peel just to also let the target move away a little so I could kick the next spell (also lost the count of how many times this blow back in my face until I learned how to do it properly).

This is the main reason why I loved that expansion and I believe most people still have similar memories and miss those days.
    Last edited by Knolan; 2018-09-21 at 09:34 AM.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm, as that was the expac I started and really got into playing some PvP.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

For arenas, i prefered the tbc iteration.
    For bgs, i preferd the wrath one.
    Why? because in bgs you generally want a higher tempo were players kill faster and die faster. Else tanks an healers simply become to strong at defending any given point.
    But in arenas its the other way around, you want ppl to be hard to kill. you want a kill to happen when your team gets everything in perfectly. You dont want a game to end because a single dps got to freecast for 5 sec.

Cata, the new bgs were and still are very fun and I loved tol barad. Plus you could buy gear with pvp currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    I would have to say BFA, it feels nice that healers can't just go "Holy shock for 80% of my hp" and actually need to cast or use cooldowns. Also the healing debuff just feels great.

I think if Prot-Holy didn't exist & the healing debuff did in Wrath that would have probably been my favorite. As BFA certainly has it's issues (DHs can just get out) but overall it feels good.
    What healing debuff? Dampening (from arenas)?

Because abilities that applied a reduced received healing debuff existed in WotLK as well.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

I didnt start playing WoW before MoP so out of what i've seen since 5.1 my vote goes for MoP.
    Classes were perfect, you could play almost anything.
    Timeless Isle was extremly fun to PvP in. I still remember the times running around as Ret/Hunter ganking anything that moved.

WoD honestly felt lackluster and straight up boring.
    BfA feels slow and random

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    What healing debuff? Dampening (from arenas)?

Because abilities that applied a reduced received healing debuff existed in WotLK as well.
    You've listed two possible healing debuff options. One that existed in WotLK and one that didn't.

My post mentioned a healing debuff that didn't exist in WotLK.

I believe in you Mr. Knolan, you can work this out!