Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Avatar: TLA live-action Netflix series in the works

Apparently the original creators are involved and had this to say:

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

Article below

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fanta...etflix-a163605

I mean, it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd prefer they just leave it alone.
    I just recently finished rewatching the series for the first time since I watched it over 4 years ago, and a live-action reimagining really doesn't do justice to characters that were designed to be cartoonish.

My apologies if there's already a thread on this, it can be removed accordingly if this is the case.
    Last edited by mmoce1f817744b; 2018-09-18 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Oh god. It's the movie all over again. LEAVE MY CHILDHOOD ALONE!

10+ Year Old Account
    No! Bad Netflix! Bad! *hits Netflix with rolled-up newspaper*
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

And let me guess, they have Korra as a perfectly fine dark-skinned female lead character, but they're going to have a dark-skinned actress as Aang.

I'm looking forward to it. With the original creators involved it should be somewhat true to the source material.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Ooooo, I actually enjoyed the movie, so I think I’d definitely give a live-action show a go.
    You are officially the worst creature ever.

7+ Year Old Account
    You can't improve upon perfection
    Scarlet Briar: Let's play "Giant club vs. Overripe Fruit." I'll be the club.

Scarlet Briar: Careful now. Death by cannonball would be funny, but killing you myself is actual fun.

Netflix...

You already ruined Bleach, Death Note, and FMA for me...

Please...

OH PLEASE...

Don't pull an M-Night on us. PLEASE!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Jesus why. Korra was already really bad why can’t they just leave it alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already feel Zuko's honor fading away.

I'll give it a fair chance to impress me, but expectations are low.

On the flip side, they have a handy-dandy "do not do this" list readily available thanks to the movie.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    And let me guess, they have Korra as a perfectly fine dark-skinned female lead character, but they're going to have a dark-skinned actress as Aang.
    I mean it’s gonna be a train wreck why not make aang from the water nation to add fuel to the fire

its being helmed by original creators of the animated series, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

P.S. wasn't Aang supposed to be asian anyways? water tribe also seems to be heavily inuit inspired.

edited. there is what wiki has to say. http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Influen..._Avatar_series
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2018-09-18 at 08:52 PM.

they already took a show with an entirely non-caucasian cast and shoehorned a black person into it, so i'm not even going to give this a second thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    its being helmed by original creators of the animated series, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

P.S. wasn't Aang supposed to be asian anyways? water tribe also seems to be heavily inuit inspired.
    all the nations are basically some variation of asian/native american.

but they took death note and made an asian man black, because it's more progressive. don't expect anything different here.

1. Personally I'd prefer a new animated series

2. I think Avatar TLA does lend itself to a live action adaptation a bit easier than other animated series do. The combat in TLA was largely grounded in martial arts so if you get some decent CGI(which you should with Netflix money) it could work.

3. Original creators may not understand how to do a live-action series and it may not translate well.

4. Shamalalalala isn't involved

I have mixed feelings, but I want to be optimistic.

The film sucked so bad... so I'll be apprehensive over this, more so that it's Netflix, knowing their numerous bad adaptations of whatever animated show.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-09-18 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    they already took a show with an entirely non-caucasian cast and shoehorned a black person into it, so i'm not even going to give this a second thought.

- - - Updated - - -

all the nations are basically some variation of asian/native american.

but they took death note and made an asian man black, because it's more progressive. don't expect anything different here.
    death note live action was a wreck from start to finish, the only good thing about it was Ryuk. (and I don't know about it being progressive, i seem to remember it being heavily whitewashed)

that said - netflix is also responsible for "marco polo" and I still miss the hell out those series, so... i guess we shall see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post

edited. there is what wiki has to say. http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Influen..._Avatar_series
    the air nomads were based on the mongols, the fire nation was predominantly based on chinese culture, water tribe based on inuits and the earth kingdom based on 'persia' and the arabian folklore.

Oh God no! I know its got the original creators behind it but, live action AND netflix of all things? Cant they just make another avatar animated series like either a prequel or sequel? Why live action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrynn View Post
    1. Personally I'd prefer a new animated series

2. I think Avatar TLA does lend itself to a live action adaptation a bit easier than other animated series do. The combat in TLA was largely grounded in martial arts so if you get some decent CGI(which you should with Netflix money) it could work.

3. Original creators may not understand how to do a live-action series and it may not translate well.

4. Shamalalalala isn't involved

I have mixed feelings, but I want to be optimistic.
    1. they can't do after the ending to LoK they have essentially locked themselves out of any further story telling without completely rewriting that.

as to the other points, yes while the 'bending' was based on martial techniques it will require some immense training and some exceptional casting to get the right people in to play the various characters while being able to pull off the various techniques flawlessly, but i guess we will see how things pan out when it launches.

Should be easy right? Watch the Movie and say to yourself "DO NOT DO THIS!!" Watch the Animated show say "DO THIS!!"

Why am I still unsure?
    READ and be less Ignorant.