Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaai View Post
    You're really misreading what he wrote:
    Not if you read the whole thing, no.

FpicEail is rightfully counting pet damage as ranged damage.
    yeah, but that was the same as in Legion, so no shift towards ranged there, which is his claim. Which is wrong when we see it's the same as in Legion.

As an aside, if you equip a bow instead of a polearm you won't lose 80% of your damage because Mongoose Bite/Raptor Strike aren't 80% of your damage.
    Well we got auto-attacks as well. Taking away the pet-damage which isn't changed since Legion, melee-attacks do that much of the damage. Did you see the point how melee interacts with Wildfire Bomb so it's the melee-attacks that makes it do additional percentage of the overall damage?
    Not that it's viable, but I was just pointing out that a single ability's weapon requirement is what makes SV a melee spec.
    Yeah, Raptor Strike and Mongoose Bite has defined the melee-part of the hunter for 12+ years now. Do you know what really defines a melee-spec? Auto-attacks. Not auto-shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by godofdun View Post
    Enhancement shaman have a similar ratio of melee to ranged as survival in terms of the number of abilities, no one's saying they are a ranged spec in disguise. If the shaman isn't stormstriking his damage is crap, if the survival hunter isn't hitting raptor/mongoose his damage is also crap. This discussion has been ridiculous for a few pages now.

I'm sorry for those that liked it more when it really was a ranged spec, but I'd be more sorry to see it reverted to that.
    Yeah, Outlaw Rogue too. Besides, FoK is also ranged attack right? People are just sad that Survival isn't ranged anymore, I can understand people are letdown by it. But it's time to move on. I miss my beloved Marksman from Legion going into BfA, but times change, so we move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed Survival in Legion and I also enjoy it in BfA. I wish they would rework Kill Command's animation and give it a new name so it feels a little different... or work flanking strike into filling the same role somehow. Other than that, I've loved it for two expansions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    How about Sv critics start directing some of their energy towards making MM not suck? A far more important cause atm that everyone shares!
    Why play or worry about MM as a ranged hunter when you can just play BM 4Head
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    And if you don't like BM? It feels too spammy to me.

And if you don't like BM? It feels too spammy to me.
    I don't like BM either but hey it works and does damage so. Maybe another class is right for others instead while they wait for MM. Every class is "Spammy" because they all have an ability to spam to spend/generate
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Baredgrylls View Post
    That quote right there is enough to get FpicEail banned, where are the moderators at in this place? He had admitted he has no interest in contributing to this thread/topic/community and his only desire is to harass everyone until blizzard gives him back his favorite toy.
    I've already contacted mods and their response was basically "sorry we've just been so busy" it's what happens when mods are volunteers unfortunately, so I don't particularly blame them.

The truth is FpicEail is an absolute sociopath; he is Bepples on the official forums and is infamous in the hunter forums for derailing the same survival threads and admitting to it there too. He posts the same long winded complaints there. Every survival thread across any medium, expect him to show up because he literally has nothing better to do than piss off current melee survival players like they were the ones who made it melee in the first place.

He thoroughly derailed the survival Hunter community feedback sticky on Reddit which is absolutely frustrating because that is one of the most important places for melee survival to submit feedback for changes; Blizzard has flat out admitted in the past they browse the Reddit threads for feedback too and half the stickied Reddit thread was just him complaining the same things that he has done here.

I'll probably get infracted for posting this but honestly if I get in trouble before he does this forum has officially become an unuseable cesspool.

Personally I will just play another character if BM is the only option for m+, the only content i care about. Thankfully SV is perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Yes, I find it funny that you have to resort to saying other people strawman, while you do it yourself in every post.
    You still cannot demonstrate a single instance of strawmanning on my part.

Then you say that I deflect the arguments(which is strawmanning per definition)
    No it isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

"an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent"

Basically, pretending they said something else and arguing against that fake argument instead. It would be like seeing I said "Survival shifted towards ranged", concluding that I was really saying "Survival is a ranged spec", and arguing against that instead.

You take one example up from logs, lets say Scorpyron(nice example btw)
    You think I'm cherrypicking? I picked the most quintessential AoE fight of Legion. But if you don't like that, here's one from a fight much more similar to Zul:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=18

Oh, look. ~20% damage from ranged attacks including pet damage (not Flanking Strike because you needed to be in melee to cast that). So it's still nowhere near 8.0 levels and Fpiceail is still right! (no

And then you have full ST kit where they are almost non-existant.
    Clearly that's not the case because even on ST fights you still have a significant amount of your damage coming from sources that aren't melee-only... moreso than Legion.

Then you bring up Kill Command, which you can use from range, and that pet shouldn't really be accounted for.
    Are you seriously insinuating that I was the one saying pets shouldn't count? Check the thread again. If it can be used from ranged... it's a ranged attach.

You also bring in the logs that favors what you say(which is very, very few but cred for taking in the anomaly's), but you don't realize it's true for mass-aoe only(or do you?). When it comes to ST, light cleave, 60-85% of all the damage you do(without accounting pet lol) is from melee-abilities.
    Huh? Did you not literally just say a couple sentences earlier that on full ST fights the ranged damage is "non-existent"? What do you think Fetid Devourer is? I chose that fight because it's the most mechanically void Patchwerk fight in the instance. That's how damage comparisons are done. Find the most basic, single-target fight in the instance. I did link a Zul log, but that was long after I linked the Devourer log. The Devourer log is actually about as favourable to melee as it gets. I wanted to remind you what the least-favourable one looked like too.

If you think I'm cherrypicking you're welcome to go through the mythic 100% logs and find the one that's more favourable to melee than Devourer.

TLDR: Survival is melee(outlaw as well), not even close to being ranged.
    Being just 2 abilities away from being a fully ranged spec is about as close as you can get, really, besides... well... 1 ability. But Survival is more "ranged" than any other melee spec in the game. I find it funny I'm having to remind you of that because usually I'm having to convince people that Survival is not, in fact, a hybrid spec that lets you play at ranged whenever you want.

A big portion of the damage is the pet, you have to add that to the rogue abilities to if you want to compare them. And even if we go by your logic that the pet doesn't count, the "ranged" abilities for the Outlaw rogue only "beats" the Survival one with 2%. The idea when I asked you was if the Outlaw Rogue is more towards ranged, since you say Survival is. And you then use 5 paragraphs to try to make it so the Outlaw Rogue is less "ranged" than Survival? LMAO. Yeah, congratulations.
    What does "add that to the Rogue abilities" even mean?

Wow, you really are going for another strawman. At no point did I say that the pet shouldn't count. I do think it shouldn't count as melee because the Hunter does not have to be in melee range to do it. Stop trying to make it look more favourable for melee by arbitrarily exluding 1/3 of the spec's damage from the count, and stop trying to pin that on me; that was your idea.

Btw, the two top logs shows that the Rogue got 23% of the damage from ranged abilities, while the Survival have 13%. Yeah, you are certainly correct....
    No, Survival has 53% from ranged capabilities. The melee-only mechanics are auto-attack and Mongoose Bite, which sum to 47%. You can count the procs/trinket stuff as melee if you want but that doesn't significantly change the picture.

Also, another thing you're missing is that Survival's ranged capabilities are independent of the melee spells for the most part. If you stayed at ranged for the whole fight you would still have almost all of that ranged damage. That's not the same for Outlaw because their ranged attacks require procs/combo points from their melee abilities. So even if Outlaw weren't losing on ranged ability count and ranged damage proportion... Fpiceail is still right!

Quote Originally Posted by The7 View Post
    Oh, thank you for telling me what I should find fun. You should find a job on Blizzard, the BfA team will love to have you around!
    Maybe it was out of hand but when I read "SV is the most fun spec" or "SV is the best designed spec" I interpret it as an opinion being presented as fact. I'm sure you love it and I'm sure others do too. But clearly for the majority of players it isn't the case. If you want me to subconsciously add an "IMO" to your post: sure, that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaCrepe View Post
    Conversation is over, this kid has no real argument.
    ^^^ This is what giving up looks like

Enhancement shaman have a similar ratio of melee to ranged as survival in terms of the number of abilities, no one's saying they are a ranged spec in disguise. If the shaman isn't stormstriking his damage is crap, if the survival hunter isn't hitting raptor/mongoose his damage is also crap. This discussion has been ridiculous for a few pages now.

I'm sorry for those that liked it more when it really was a ranged spec, but I'd be more sorry to see it reverted to that.
    Just as with Outlaw, I don't know much at all about Enh. But looking at its Icy Veins and the top Fetid Devourer log this doesn't appear to be true. Rockbiter and Flametongue are the only abilities with a range, and that's a) only 20 yards and b) only ~11% of your damage total. Far, far, far lower than Survival in both ability count and ranged damage proportion. There is the Ascendance talent... but that's a long cooldown.

Would you be sorry to see current Survival have its remaining abilities made ranged but otherwise keep all of the other mechanics as is? Because I see a whole lot of defense for the playstyle but nothing actually hinging on the spec remaining melee.

-----------
    @Baredgrylls @Happyducky

You tell me who's derailing.

One of us is discussing Survival, just as they were at the start of the thread... when responding to someone else... with the thread explicitly concerning Survival.

The other two are just calling for that one to be banned.

Also, how does one derail a Reddit discussion? It's a totally different format.

Survival is an important issue to me and I'm allowed to post about it in threads where its relevant. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    ^^^ This is what giving up looks like
    Every post in the past week, you've proven you have no true handle on what survival is as a spec in BFA. Additionally, you have admitted that you will whine about it until the spec changes to reflect what you want it to be. There's no argument, no logic, only entitlement.

I do give up on arguing with a man child who's walls of text only add up to the saddest argument - "But, this is not what I want."

I called you out on that post, and your response was a sad attempt at getting the last word in.

Snip
    So you don't know what deflection is, fine.

I wrote that it would be my last post, pointed out your flaws once more, and I was hoping to move on. But fine.

I am questioning the thing about the pets because you didn't include them first. Later on you suddenly included them when I pointed out that much of the damage is from pets. Then suddenly you take them back into the equation. I proved you wrong, then you changed it so it would "favor" you more. But pet damage we had in Legion too, so there is no shift to ranged from that. So what you are practically saying is that Legion had a lot of ranged damage after all. And if you take other logs, which seems to be the trend when you are wrong, then I can say that Alpha Predator is making the pet do so much extra damage, but half of the logs use Viper's Venom, and that is procced by melee-attacks.

No one has said that Fetid Devourer is a good ST fight, so stop lying(ops, I found a proof of you strawmanning). And I have already proven how much damage that comes from ranged attacks. I was right, once again.

That's not the same for Outlaw because their ranged attacks require procs/combo points from their melee abilities. So even if Outlaw weren't losing on ranged ability count and ranged damage proportion... Fpiceail is still right!
    Survival do to And LOL at bold text!
    Wildfire Bomb, Wildfire Infusion, Serpent Sting(when Viper's Venom) etc.

Lmao you don't even know how it plays. I think we are done here :P

Title of thread "Hope they leave Survival alone all expansion"
    someone hopes they don't not sure how that's derailing, (personally I'd like to see it back Ranged too, most of the Pro-melee hunters (not all) don't care that a number of us lost a play style we loved) so not sure why we should care if they don't leave it alone and keep rangingfiying it.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2018-10-24 at 02:56 PM.

I don't like BM either but hey it works and does damage so. Maybe another class is right for others instead while they wait for MM. Every class is "Spammy" because they all have an ability to spam to spend/generate
    With no downtime and a low GCD/no cast times it will always feel more spammy than MM. Sort of like the difference between Arms and Fury for warriors.

Just as with Outlaw, I don't know much at all about Enh. But looking at its Icy Veins and the top Fetid Devourer log this doesn't appear to be true. Rockbiter and Flametongue are the only abilities with a range, and that's a) only 20 yards and b) only ~11% of your damage total. Far, far, far lower than Survival in both ability count and ranged damage proportion. There is the Ascendance talent... but that's a long cooldown.

Would you be sorry to see current Survival have its remaining abilities made ranged but otherwise keep all of the other mechanics as is? Because I see a whole lot of defense for the playstyle but nothing actually hinging on the spec remaining melee.
    I think looking at individual percentages like that is getting a bit lost in the weeds. My point in bringing enh shaman up is it's another class that can do a decent amount of things at range but getting full use out of the spec in terms of both raw damage and feel of the spec requires you to be in melee range. The individual damage percentages of total would only really be relevant if Survival was only doing like 10% of it's damage from carve/raptor/autos or something silly like that.

Yes, I would be sorry to see that. Even if they changes it to "raptor/mongoose shot" etc it would still FEEL different in practice to the player as they're playing it firing shots instead of hitting the mob in the face. Humans are visual creatures, it makes a difference. The same thing could be said for some that just can't stand it's existence, it just FEELS wrong for it to even be a thing for those people. As much as I get that, I'd still be sorry to see them get their way.

So you don't know what deflection is, fine.
    I didn't talk about deflection. I talked about strawmanning.

That makes this quote pretty ironic, given the definition of strawman. Don't you think?

I wrote that it would be my last post, pointed out your flaws once more, and I was hoping to move on. But fine.
    You can still do that. After all, you know I won't.

I am questioning the thing about the pets because you didn't include them first. Later on you suddenly included them when I pointed out that much of the damage is from pets. Then suddenly you take them back into the equation. I proved you wrong, then you changed it so it would "favor" you more.
    You're lying about two things... and yes, I am saying you are LYING now because this has gone on far too many posts for it to be a simple misunderstanding. I'm convinced your goal here is to try to define my arguments in ways that are easier for you to attack.

Back to the point, two things: you're claiming that I said pets shouldn't count, and that you're the one that pointed out the pet damage.

Here is the exact quote.

I'm counting about 47% damage from melee attacks by the player. I'm guessing you're going to argue that the 34% done by the pet counts as melee, but frankly the Hunter does not need to be in melee range for that to happen and we do not call BM a melee spec when most of its damage comes from the pet. So that's a minority of the spec's damage made up from actual, no-bullshit, player-activated melee mechanics.
    So one of your lies is proven wrong quite easily. I'm the one who pointed out the proportion of pet damage in the log. You came in afterwards with your nonsense pet arguments.

Secondly, I clearly did not say that pet damage shouldn't count. I said something that could be simplifed to "pet damage shouldn't count as melee". I backed that up with "the player doesn't need to be in melee range to use them, see: BM". Taking the pet out of the equation is a completely nonsense idea on all fronts. In fact, taking out the pet actively helps YOUR argument, not mine; why would I ever advocate for it? Not that we need to guess because anyone here can go through these posts and see that I never advocated it.

But pet damage we had in Legion too, so there is no shift to ranged from that. So what you are practically saying is that Legion had a lot of ranged damage after all. And if you take other logs, which seems to be the trend when you are wrong
    We've been over this.

Stop hypothesising. We have logs from Legion. I've linked two: one from a fight similar to Zul (Mistress in ToS) and one from a Patchwerk fight similar to Fetid Devourer (Varimathras). They tell the same story: pet damage was a way, way, way smaller proportion of the damage output back then. Remember, Survival has Kill Command now which is effectively ranged. Back then it had Flanking Strike; you, the player, had to be in melee to use it. Add to that Survival just had more abilities back then which dilutes the proportion of FS damage, and on top of that FS was pretty undertuned. Pet damage back then as a proportion of SV's total DPS was peanuts compared to what it is now.

I'm not using different standards here. I'm not cherrypicking logs. I'm comparing ST fights to ST fights and Cleave fights to Cleave fights. I have the same criteria for what is ranged and what is melee. And Survival just had more melee in Legion. Both in the abilities the players would actively used and in the damage breakdown. That's no longer true.

half of the logs use Viper's Venom, and that is procced by melee-attacks.
    Very good! An actually decent argument from you, for a change. One thing I'm not really accounting for is dependence on melee damage to do the ranged damage. We've already seen this with Outlaw: Outlaw's ranged abilities are fully dependent on using melee ones first. But Viper's Venom is a proc; Serpent Sting will still have a proportion of your total damage without it... just a smaller one. And it doesn't affect Wildfire Bomb (although Carve does) or Kill Command.

There is some dependence on melee attacks to do the ranged damage with Survival. But it's way, way lower than other melee specs.

No one has said that Fetid Devourer is a good ST fight, so stop lying(ops, I found a proof of you strawmanning). And I have already proven how much damage that comes from ranged attacks. I was right, once again.
    Uhhhhh it is absolutely a good single target fight. It's the closest to Patchwerk you have in this tier.

Don't come to me with "oh but Devourer has some adds". Varimathras had some adds too. It's still predominantly single-target. Plus, again, we don't need to hypothesise. The logs are right there. Single target build (Nongoose Bite focused), low damage from WFB compared to other fight, no Carve damage. It's the most single-target one in there... and probably the most favourable to melee.

You only think you're right because you chose a bogus standard for evaluating the damage profile. A standard so bogus that you denied coming up with it and tried to pin it on me.

47% is the magic number. That's how much damage the melee-only mechanics did on the Devourer log. There's no spinning it.

Minority melee damage. Shift towards ranged, confirmed. Fpiceail is right again, confirmed.

Survival do to And LOL at bold text!
    Wildfire Bomb, Wildfire Infusion, Serpent Sting(when Viper's Venom) etc.

Lmao you don't even know how it plays. I think we are done here :P
    It's still much lower than Outlaw so Fpiceail is still right!

I think looking at individual percentages like that is getting a bit lost in the weeds. My point in bringing enh shaman up is it's another class that can do a decent amount of things at range but getting full use out of the spec in terms of both raw damage and feel of the spec requires you to be in melee range. The individual damage percentages of total would only really be relevant if Survival was only doing like 10% of it's damage from carve/raptor/autos or something silly like that.
    But looking at the individual percentages is fully relevant and justified because you specifically describe it as "decent amount of things at ranged". You can't. Survival, you kind of can, because a literal majority of the based toolkit can be used at ranged. But with Elemental the majority of the toolkit is strictly melee; only 2 abilities can be used at ranged, they are only 20 yards, and they don't seem to make up a large proportion of Enh's total DPS. You're trying to boil it down to a simple categorical comparison but that's a really bad way of evaluating anything; extent matters, especially when comparing melee specs with varying degrees of ranged capabilities.

Yes, I would be sorry to see that. Even if they changes it to "raptor/mongoose shot" etc it would still FEEL different in practice to the player as they're playing it firing shots instead of hitting the mob in the face. Humans are visual creatures, it makes a difference. The same thing could be said for some that just can't stand it's existence, it just FEELS wrong for it to even be a thing for those people. As much as I get that, I'd still be sorry to see them get their way.[/QUOTE]

Even if they changes it to "raptor/mongoose shot" etc it would still FEEL different in practice to the player as they're playing it firing shots instead of hitting the mob in the face. Humans are visual creatures, it makes a difference. The same thing could be said for some that just can't stand it's existence, it just FEELS wrong for it to even be a thing for those people.
    Fair enough, but I think ranged specs still have a tangible advantage whether someone prefers them or not. And I'd wager that other factors are way more important for most people who enjoy Survival, such as flow and pace of the gameplay.

snip
    You sound like you wear a fedora.

Yes, I would be sorry to see that. Even if they changes it to "raptor/mongoose shot" etc it would still FEEL different in practice to the player as they're playing it firing shots instead of hitting the mob in the face. Humans are visual creatures, it makes a difference. The same thing could be said for some that just can't stand it's existence, it just FEELS wrong for it to even be a thing for those people. As much as I get that, I'd still be sorry to see them get their way.
    Just curious - what if you could choose to use melee weapon or ranged weapon? If you had a melee weapon it would play just as it is now. If you equipped a ranged weapon you would have "raptor/mongoose shot". Feels good to those who want melee, feels good to those who want ranged. Is there a downside here?

Never argue with an idiot: they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bheleu View Post
    Just curious - what if you could choose to use melee weapon or ranged weapon? If you had a melee weapon it would play just as it is now. If you equipped a ranged weapon you would have "raptor/mongoose shot". Feels good to those who want melee, feels good to those who want ranged. Is there a downside here?
    I think a toggle would be neat (someone suggested it earlier in this thread I think). Instead of Aspect being a CD, just turn it into a toggle. It could switch other things up, too, to make it even more fun and flavorful. (Would be especially cool if you throw your polearm/sword/axe on your back and pull out a ranged weapon that has no stats but can be transmogged) ...

I like melee SV, for the record. Melee combat in MMOs feels more satisfying to me.

I'd also like to add that SV is an excellent levelling choice.

Unlike BM who starts pretty gutted and can't deal any AoE till lvl50 (when they get Beast Cleave), SV has nearly the full kit at 20, and gets Carve ar 28 and Butchery at 30.
    Since that point it's a murderfragging AoE powerhouse rivaling DHs at their best days - pull all you can with Serpent Stings, then 3-shot them with Butchery and bombs. Add in Terms of Engagement for free hopping around, and you'll have both smooth outdoor grinding, and topping dps charts in dungeons.
    Had my fresh DI hunter go 20-41 in less that 2 lazy evenings, was a breeze.

I have no idea why does Butchery deal more damage than Raptor Strike, which I don't even use at this point (3 charges of Butchery are usually enough to down any non-elite mob). On my 120 hunter, RS deals more damage than Butchery so is it some early level scaling?

Survival - I like the niche. Im on that bandwagon of dont change it, even though I do want the bombs as baseline and sting to do more damage.

Im seeing more survival in M+ and they are pretty dang good, just not used to seeing them. If they change them to ranged only that would be a mistake, if anything make them into a tanking spec, that would make my day.

But looking at the individual percentages is fully relevant and justified because you specifically describe it as "decent amount of things at ranged". You can't. Survival, you kind of can, because a literal majority of the based toolkit can be used at ranged. But with Elemental the majority of the toolkit is strictly melee; only 2 abilities can be used at ranged, they are only 20 yards, and they don't seem to make up a large proportion of Enh's total DPS. You're trying to boil it down to a simple categorical comparison but that's a really bad way of evaluating anything; extent matters, especially when comparing melee specs with varying degrees of ranged capabilities.

Fair enough, but I think ranged specs still have a tangible advantage whether someone prefers them or not. And I'd wager that other factors are way more important for most people who enjoy Survival, such as flow and pace of the gameplay.
    Only at the extremes, the melee abilities and autos could be all the way down at 20% or something of you're total damage and you'd still be getting kicked if you were sitting at ranged and not getting in there.

Even if we assume that's correct, why is that relevant? You can make changes to flow and pace of gameplay without changing whether it's ranged or melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bheleu View Post
    Might be some balance issues due to some fights/instances being "melee friendly" or "ranged friendly", but that's an issue across the board. I've got nothing against it in theory though, someone else having access to a ranged version of the spec doesn't take away my enjoyment of it as it is.