Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie AVENGERS: ENDGAME™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

How many people died instantly after returning from the snap?

I mean, there might be people who got dusted while driving cars or flying planes or getting surgery, so when the return snap happens the people from planes would just spawn in mid air and fall down, everyone who were driving would just pop up in the middle of the road.. and anyone getting surgery would still have a massive hole somewhere on their body..

So what is the estimate death toll right after Hulks ”Return everyone” snap?

The movie was fine on it's own merits, considering it was 3 hours long it was no small feat to be entertaining to the point that you don't realize how long it is, but it really feels kind of weak as the final-ish chapter of a 21 film saga, which makes the film a disappointment. As a general rule I don't think movies that revolve around time travel, they tend to overflow with continuity problems and force characters to be willfully dumb at opportune moments so as to create tension, Endgame suffered from this. The issues that arose from the time travel, like why didn't they just go back to a different time that would have been easier or go back and get more Pym (Pim? I don't know) particles, weren't enough to break the movie from being enjoyable, that goes for the word vomit that they pass off as science as well.

There were some aspects that didn't play well in the movie, like it was a rat that freed Antman which lead to Thanos' ultimate defeat (which could have been clever if there was some line in one of the earlier movies from Thanos or one of his Lieutenants about rats not taking down Thanos or some such non sense) which made the entire story seem hokey. As well as Captain Marvel, she seemed really combative toward everyone for no reason. Her story doesn't really fit into the Avengers story, like wouldn't before half of everyone was lost be a better time to signal for her return? Also, how would she have been unaware of Thanos to begin with? Also, aren't there numerous times before Infinity War that an emergency arose that would have warranted her return? It just seems like that aspect of the story wasn't well handled at all.

What were much was a much larger issue than the more minor problems of the rat and Captain Marvel was the re-using ideas from Infinity War, like when Black Widow and Hawkeye are going to get the soul stone and they go through the sacrificing thing and we get six psychs before someone dies. It just felt so forced and uninteresting, I wasn't invested at all since what was going to happen was already known as this scenario had played out before. Another rehashed Infinity War scene was the final battle, where we get the good guys vs Thanos. It's cool to see the heroes in action, but why exactly did they win this time? If it was because Tony sacrificed himself, it's hardly the first time he's tried to sacrifice himself and obviously he should have just done that from the beginning when they were on Titan, otherwise why they won isn't really explained. Another issue with the film is the lack of stakes, we got a line about how Thanos was going to unmake everything instead of removing half of everyone, but it wasn't well introduced or baked into the story so it felt very hallow. Which leads us to Thanos himself, he is clearly meant to be powerful, yet in Endgame he doesn't inflict any lasting injury, the final battle is fought and Ironman is dead from using the Infinity stones but no one else is worse for wear for having fought Thanos. It made the entire final battle just a meaningless spectacle, as opposed to the battle they fought in Infinity War, where far more was lost and the survivors were left to make sense of it.

Endgame was fine by itself, it was a weaker Marvel movie, not as bad as Thor: Dark World, but certainly as the pinnacle of the MCU thus far it was a disappointing tootle rather than a finely crafted crescendo.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    The movie was fine on it's own merits, considering it was 3 hours long it was no small feat to be entertaining to the point that you don't realize how long it is, but it really feels kind of weak as the final-ish chapter of a 21 film saga, which makes the film a disappointment. As a general rule I don't think movies that revolve around time travel, they tend to overflow with continuity problems and force characters to be willfully dumb at opportune moments so as to create tension, Endgame suffered from this. The issues that arose from the time travel, like why didn't they just go back to a different time that would have been easier or go back and get more Pym (Pim? I don't know) particles, weren't enough to break the movie from being enjoyable, that goes for the word vomit that they pass off as science as well.

There were some aspects that didn't play well in the movie, like it was a rat that freed Antman which lead to Thanos' ultimate defeat (which could have been clever if there was some line in one of the earlier movies from Thanos or one of his Lieutenants about rats not taking down Thanos or some such non sense) which made the entire story seem hokey. As well as Captain Marvel, she seemed really combative toward everyone for no reason. Her story doesn't really fit into the Avengers story, like wouldn't before half of everyone was lost be a better time to signal for her return? Also, how would she have been unaware of Thanos to begin with? Also, aren't there numerous times before Infinity War that an emergency arose that would have warranted her return? It just seems like that aspect of the story wasn't well handled at all.

What were much was a much larger issue than the more minor problems of the rat and Captain Marvel was the re-using ideas from Infinity War, like when Black Widow and Hawkeye are going to get the soul stone and they go through the sacrificing thing and we get six psychs before someone dies. It just felt so forced and uninteresting, I wasn't invested at all since what was going to happen was already known as this scenario had played out before. Another rehashed Infinity War scene was the final battle, where we get the good guys vs Thanos. It's cool to see the heroes in action, but why exactly did they win this time? If it was because Tony sacrificed himself, it's hardly the first time he's tried to sacrifice himself and obviously he should have just done that from the beginning when they were on Titan, otherwise why they won isn't really explained. Another issue with the film is the lack of stakes, we got a line about how Thanos was going to unmake everything instead of removing half of everyone, but it wasn't well introduced or baked into the story so it felt very hallow. Which leads us to Thanos himself, he is clearly meant to be powerful, yet in Endgame he doesn't inflict any lasting injury, the final battle is fought and Ironman is dead from using the Infinity stones but no one else is worse for wear for having fought Thanos. It made the entire final battle just a meaningless spectacle, as opposed to the battle they fought in Infinity War, where far more was lost and the survivors were left to make sense of it.

Endgame was fine by itself, it was a weaker Marvel movie, not as bad as Thor: Dark World, but certainly as the pinnacle of the MCU thus far it was a disappointing tootle rather than a finely crafted crescendo.
    Speaking to a few of your points -

- The Captain Marvel scenes in Endgame were filmed before her solo film. I have to assume this is what led to her minimal use in Endgame and her relatively "meh" characterization. Certainly not an excuse of course, but possibly an explanation.

- Why did the heroes win this time? Well a few possible factors. One, most of the fight was the Avengers vs. a stone-less Thanos, while in Infinity War, they never fight him without any stones. Two, when he did get the stones, Tony had the weird "pickpocket" gauntlet on and was able to swipe the stones through some sort of tech magic, which was a trick they did not have up their sleeves. Remember, in Infinity War they almost got the gauntlet off of him but Starlord botched it.

- Stakes. I just had a conversation about stakes with my brother yesterday. He said something similar but without a feeling as to why the stakes felt lower than in Infinity War. I don't know if its a result of what you mentioned, but another possibility is that the final fight scene is probably less personal. The issue is the Thanos at the end of the movie isn't the Thanos that they fought in Infinity War. They essentially beat down a stranger, which may have taken away from the impact of the fight scene.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit (certainly not the best, but I'd rank it higher than you), and one of my favorite beats in the film is that they fucking kill Thanos in the beginning and it gives you this great "wtf are they going to do now" moment... but, when I think about the film structurally, I think it would have been better served to have not set up and relied upon a big time travel arc. We get some fantastic call backs and fan service throughout this arc, but fighting the same Thanos at the end of the film would have been a more satisfying conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    but, when I think about the film structurally, I think it would have been better served to have not set up and relied upon a big time travel arc.
    I wish I had known how much of the plot was time travel based so I could have skipped it. I had been spoiled that time travel was involved in it (someone in a completely unrelated forum mentioned they don't watch time travel movies), but I assumed it was something pulled out quickly to steal a win, not the whole plot. Time travel for superheros feels like such a cheat and I've already seen Days of Future Past and Umbrella Academy recently so it was a big letdown after doing my best to avoid spoilers for months until I was able to watch it at home. I thought Infinity War was really well done, but I was mostly annoyed watching Endgame (I even own the original Infinity Gauntlet comics so I wanted to like this).

I wish the final battle was a bit longer, and that several other people showed up. Namely Fury, Hill, and Coulson in a quinjet, The Defenders, and the Agents team. I dont care if they are basically strangers to the Avengers/GoTG, they should have been there.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post

I mean, there might be people who got dusted while driving cars or flying planes or getting surgery, so when the return snap happens the people from planes would just spawn in mid air and fall down, everyone who were driving would just pop up in the middle of the road.. and anyone getting surgery would still have a massive hole somewhere on their body..

I imagine when Hulk did the snap he ensured everyone would be safe and healthy. So people in the air would be on the ground etc. I wonder about the people that would have died as a result of Thanos' snap, not the people that turned to dust, but passengers on a plane that suddenly had no pilot or from car accidents because the other car had no driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I imagine when Hulk did the snap he ensured everyone would be safe and healthy. So people in the air would be on the ground etc. I wonder about the people that would have died as a result of Thanos' snap, not the people that turned to dust, but passengers on a plane that suddenly had no pilot or from car accidents because the other car had no driver.
    Yeah, we saw a bit of the chaos during the Nick fury scene,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    So some questions

Why didnt the survivors go to wakanda, and make some epic vibranium suits?
    They were only back for like what, 15-20 minutes until they appeared in the final battle, guess they didn't have time but also that is a "big" deal in these movies. Like why doesn't Tony make suits for the whole team? Because that would be really boring tbh.

Why not wait for Thor to detox, and bring Korg, Meik and Valkyrie to the HQ?
    If Korg, Meik, and Valkyrie werent killed by Thanos in Infinity War, where the hell were they?
    They wanted to have fewer characters in Endgame, focus more on the OG cast. I also don't see why Meik or Korg would even be there? Because they are friends of Thor? Valkyrie was also kinda in charge of new Asgard.
    Half of the Asgardians on the ship managed to escape before Thanos came onboard and slaughterd the rest.

Was Nick Fury in the final battle?
    Did you see him?

Why not write so Natasha, Vision, and Quicksilver could return, the emotional punch?
    How would that be emotional? I am getting pretty tired of Marvel killing a character and then BOOM! Back... Loki dead, jk he is back, Loki dead again! Jk he is back... Look Fury died! Fooled ya! Ya boi is back! Also why would they return? He undid the snap... Not everyone that has ever died since 2015.

I'm guessing Cap returned Mjolnir to Thor in time to use it in Darkworld?
    I assume that too, he did take it with him when he went back in time there at the end.

I'm also assuming that over 10 years and multiple directors/producers the story plot points changed from avengers 1 that thanos willing giving 2 stone's he already had makes/made sense?
    Regarding the stones, he only gave away the mind stone to Loki in the form of a scepter. I assume his plan was that Loki could use the scepter, get his hands on the space stone (which he did for a while) So if Loki wouldn't have been defeated Thanos would have had 2 stones, maybe even 3 later once he would have realized that the time stone was also on earth

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    I wish the final battle was a bit longer, and that several other people showed up. Namely Fury, Hill, and Coulson in a quinjet, The Defenders, and the Agents team. I dont care if they are basically strangers to the Avengers/GoTG, they should have been there.
    Fury and Hill, yes, maybe.
    But Agents and the Defenders... The thing is that those ABC and Netflix shows... are not really part of the MCU. They say they are, but in reality they're not. Marvel proper aka the movies have never even acknowledge them. Damnit. Even now when the Netflix shows are cancled, even IF Kevin Feige would like to have Daredevil show up in the next movie he wouldn't be allowed to. Netflix owns the rights for those characters for 2-3 more years.

They weren't canceled though. They were *Snapped*
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

3+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the movie. Now I'm waiting for the Director's cut version

I finally watched it. It was okay, not great. Time travel is always something that cheapens a story and very difficult to pull off in a meaningful way. Endgame definitely wasn't successful with it but nonetheless it was still entertaining. And seeing some of the interactions like Hulk and the GM were fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Downloaded it to watch it again, as when I watched it at the cinema I rated it as ok, Infinity War was better.

God, second watch was boring, didn't even finish it and before I turned it off I had already started checking my phone. I will never understand how this movie is so highly rated.

Out of complaints I've seen, I thought they actually handled time travel pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Downloaded it to watch it again, as when I watched it at the cinema I rated it as ok, Infinity War was better.

God, second watch was boring, didn't even finish it and before I turned it off I had already started checking my phone. I will never understand how this movie is so highly rated.

Out of complaints I've seen, I thought they actually handled time travel pretty well.
    I think it has to do with how you view the movie. An epic capstone to a 20+ movie journey? Or another Marvel movie that came out this year.

Like the Avengers Assemble line, fans have been waiting for it for so long, so there ya go, it's epic! Only, by itself it's not epic, because everyone should have been like "assemble what? is there furniture? Oh, you mean assemble all in one place? Cuz we're already all together here. Should you have said that before we got here?"

As I've said before, the idea that Thanos was built up over 20 movies is sort of iffy for me. He had minor spots in a handful of movies where he did little, if anything, and wasn't very menacing at all in most. Viewing the movie as the second half/ ending of Infinity War is how I see it, and I think it falls short in many ways in that regard.

I think the real failure/ oddity of Infinity War/ Endgame is how it fails at setting up what will come after. A 5 year gap is just too much to brush aside, but I think most of the movies WILL brush it aside. Most of the Avengers are now relegated to Disney+ or are dead, and Thor won't be carrying the legacy forward, he'll just be Thor. I don't know if they thought they had Spiderman on lock, but it doesn't seem like that will work out well either...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Yup, that last part is on point. Arguing the same is why I apparently get branded a Marvel shill/fanboi/whatever. How they handled time travel is fine. The fact they did time travel at all however, makes the story overall weaker. It's a great way to set up a shit ton of fan service moments, but it undermines the impact and stakes of the conclusion of the plot.

The movie did well because of one thing - payoff. Almost all of that payoff is fan service, but that's fine. I wouldn't recommend Disney use this as a template for future films though, as I don't think another film of that style would get the same results. But people lost their shit seeing Cap wielding the hammer, hearing him say Avengers Assemble, getting everyone back from the snap, seeing Cap fight Cap, etc. All the time travel beats were basically a spin on the classic sitcom episode that's comprised of flashbacks to previous episodes.

I'm curious to see what I think of the film upon second viewing. I also rank Infinity War higher than Endgame, but I enjoyed it a lot when I saw it in the theater.

See I loved the movie and still felt all the emotion the second viewing last week but I think the way they handled time travel faltered with old cap appearing on the bench.

The best I've seen time travel handled was X-men the animated series.

Nice to see people are finally taking off the I love you 3 billion Disney shaded glasses and seeing end game for what it is. A bloated overly long stuffy chore of a film to watch that is filled of pointless scenes and time travel plot explained 3 times too many.

We really needed that ironman nebula scene goofing around in space. Boy did that go places