5+ Year Old Account

Just bought HP Omen GTX 1050Ti/12GB/i7-8750H. Good for WoW?

Morning!

So I've been gone from WoW since Cata and am coming back now, and just ordered an HP Omen 17 inch with a GTX 1050Ti, 12GB of DDR4 RAM, an i7-8750H and a 128GB SSD.

What kind of performance can I expect in general in WoW? 60fps at 1080p at graphics level 7 and with distance and shadows turned down?

10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats on purchase.

On less powerful hardware (i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD) at 1080p with Preset 7 and FXAA-High in BfA, framerates are normally 60+, but there can be drops. Groups for AoE-heavy weekly world bosses were 30+, Zuldazar was 40+, and general questing through tree heavy Zandalar was 50+.

You should be better across the board.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect 60+ in the over world and 30-40 in raids

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Congrats on purchase.

On less powerful hardware (i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD) at 1080p with Preset 7 and FXAA-High in BfA, framerates are normally 60+, but there can be drops. Groups for AoE-heavy weekly world bosses were 30+, Zuldazar was 40+, and general questing through tree heavy Zandalar was 50+.

You should be better across the board.
    Sweet. And thanks!

That was pretty much what I expected. I could have Googled it, but hey, your information was great. I ordered it before I checked if it was going to be good enough but I guess WoW is so old now that it'll run decently on even older systems as long as you're reasonable with the settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krelian80 View Post
    Sweet. And thanks!

That was pretty much what I expected. I could have Googled it, but hey, your information was great. I ordered it before I checked if it was going to be good enough but I guess WoW is so old now that it'll run decently on even older systems as long as you're reasonable with the settings.
    No worries! You may or may not want to set Raid and Battlegrounds to Preset 5, otherwise just...

ninjaedit: Running DX12.
    Last edited by Ayirasi; 2018-09-21 at 04:18 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    No worries! You may or may not want to set Raid and Battlegrounds to Preset 5, otherwise just...

ninjaedit: Running DX12.
    lol @ Meme

Yeah man. Been doing a bit more reading and I truly thought the 1050Ti was better than it is. Benchmarks on FPS games are really kinda bad. Dammit. Should have gone for the model with the 1060. :/ At least the CPU is killer, but I'll add RAM for sure. 12GB is kinda low, but I assume it's plenty for WoW.

Speaking of DX12...I was reading about some issues making DX11 better for WoW. Opinion?

10+ Year Old Account
    lol @ Meme

Yeah man. Been doing a bit more reading and I truly thought the 1050Ti was better than it is. Benchmarks on FPS games are really kinda bad. Dammit. Should have gone for the model with the 1060. :/ At least the CPU is killer, but I'll add RAM for sure. 12GB is kinda low, but I assume it's plenty for WoW.

Speaking of DX12...I was reading about some issues making DX11 better for WoW. Opinion?
    When I compared DX11 to 12, my min / max framerates for Legion and BfA weren't much different, but my averages were slightly higher with DX12 (maybe 5+) when I compared roughly an hour's gameplay doing the same dailies with several alts, so I just left it on DX12.

I don't know what other games you run outside of WoW, but you mentioned FPS? Dave Lee made a video in 2017 where he tested Overwatch, Doom, and Battlefield (among others). I don't see if the tests were done with a i5-7300HQ or i7-7700HQ, but yeah. It's not too shabby, but a combination of Medium and High settings are your friend.

Hopefully you don't regret your purchase too much. Buyer's remorse can be a cruel mistress. I don't know what your laptop's return policy and budget is, but if you do return it for something else, maybe a Dell G-Series with a GTX 1060 Max-Q or the other Omen like you mentioned?

5+ Year Old Account
    When I compared DX11 to 12, my min / max framerates for Legion and BfA weren't much different, but my averages were slightly higher with DX12 (maybe 5+) when I compared roughly an hour's gameplay doing the same dailies with several alts, so I just left it on DX12.

I don't know what other games you run outside of WoW, but you mentioned FPS? Dave Lee made a video in 2017 where he tested Overwatch, Doom, and Battlefield (among others). I don't see if the tests were done with a i5-7300HQ or i7-7700HQ, but yeah. It's not too shabby, but a combination of Medium and High settings are your friend.

Hopefully you don't regret your purchase too much. Buyer's remorse can be a cruel mistress. I don't know what your laptop's return policy and budget is, but if you do return it for something else, maybe a Dell G-Series with a GTX 1060 Max-Q or the other Omen like you mentioned?
    Late update on this after playing WoW on the new laptop!

FPS was much higher than I expected. I had to scale settings up to 9 before it dropped under 100 FPS, and it consistently runs at 85ish FPS in town or out in the world, with viewing distance maxed out and shadows at ultra high. Honestly, it's way more than I thought I would get out of this machine and I'm guessing that the CPU must be making a difference.

Going to try other games soon, waiting for Fallout 76 to come out to try and see how it plays on my machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Late update on this after playing WoW on the new laptop!

FPS was much higher than I expected. I had to scale settings up to 9 before it dropped under 100 FPS, and it consistently runs at 85ish FPS in town or out in the world, with viewing distance maxed out and shadows at ultra high. Honestly, it's way more than I thought I would get out of this machine and I'm guessing that the CPU must be making a difference.

Going to try other games soon, waiting for Fallout 76 to come out to try and see how it plays on my machine.
    Right on, the bump in CPU and GPU afforded you a bit more performance than I would have guesstimated. Not too shabby! Hopefully your post helps someone else looking for a laptop. Good luck with the other games.

5+ Year Old Account
    Right on, the bump in CPU and GPU afforded you a bit more performance than I would have guesstimated. Not too shabby! Hopefully your post helps someone else looking for a laptop. Good luck with the other games.

Yep, thanks dude!

And man oh man do I get a lot of compliments. This thing gets a lot of attention, I hear the words "Looks like a spaceship!" at least once a day. I'd lie if I said I wasn't in love and didn't feel a little thrill every time I pull up the lid.

https://imgur.com/a/n3IZzyR

https://imgur.com/a/RgKQ588

10+ Year Old Account
    Crikey, looks like a back breaker. But fairly sleek. What's it like living with a 17-incher? Would you recommend it?

5+ Year Old Account
    Crikey, looks like a back breaker. But fairly sleek. What's it like living with a 17-incher? Would you recommend it?
    Depends what you want out of it. If it's going to sit on your desk and you'll occasionally move it, I'd tell you to buy a desktop. If you're going to use it mainly for gaming and move it around a bit, it's fine. But I carry it in my backpack to the office every day and dude, having NINE pounds on your back isn't fun. This thing is massive and barely fits in my Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack, that should tell you something.

I was originally planning to buy a monitor too, but after gaming for a week on it I can tell you that the 17 inch screen is just fine for WoW. I'd be curious to spend some time with the ROG GL series with equivalent specs and see which one I'd prefer. I've been told the screen of the ROG is way, way better than the Omen's. But all in all, I'd recommend it for sure. Every time you pull it out of its sleeve, it's like opening the door and seeing your girlfriend for the first time all over again. Or maybe I'm exaggerating.

Happy Friday and have a good weekend bud.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be curious to spend some time with the ROG GL series with equivalent specs and see which one I'd prefer. I've been told the screen of the ROG is way, way better than the Omen's.
    That's pretty helpful, thanks. I'm still 2 or 3 years off a new laptop, but a 17.3" is super tempting. I know someone will tell me that I can build a desktop for $10 and run Witcher 3 on an 8K triple screen at 1000fps, but I prefer portability due to frequent road trips and overseas flights.

The ROG GL703 display model I saw had a 120Hz TN panel paired with the GTX 1050ti. Reviews said the panel had good response times for shooters. I didn't get to see it playing a game (just some stock images), but aside from the usual issues with viewing angles on a TN panel, the brightness and contrast were pretty good, and colors popped. The build quality was top-notch, and the aesthetics were nicely understated (something I appreciate in my GL503).