Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Arcane or Fire are viable in M+?

I'm struggling to push proper DPS in M+ with Arcane or Fire. Frost seems to be alright, but I really hate its playstyle. Can I improve or should I just switch to Frost anyway? I'm making 10-12k dps on most packs while with Frost I can easily burst with 15-20k almost on any pack while making good DPS on bosses.

Arcane is a bit too ST for M+. Arcane aoe is meh, since you can't sustained it for long.

And fire seems meh overall.
    Last edited by Specialka; 2018-09-21 at 06:59 AM.

This exact issue is why my playtime is slowing down until I see the 8.1 class change list.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Arcane is a bit too ST for M+. Arcane aoe is meh, since you can't sustained it for long.
    Clearly you dont play arcane.

Arcane aoe is great. If you have 3x explosive echo it is absurd.

Arcane is 100% viable.

The issue I have with mage currently is that each school is specialized.

Arcane is ST, Frost is aoe with middle level ST and Fire sucks while melees can do everything with a single specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Clearly you dont play arcane.

Arcane aoe is great. If you have 3x explosive echo it is absurd.

Arcane is 100% viable.
    Sure for the 20 sec your mana will hold then you evoc, and you have nothing for the boss.

Or your group won't wait for your mana to regen.

Deleted
    The issue I have with mage currently is that each school is specialized.

Arcane is ST, Frost is aoe with middle level ST and Fire sucks while melees can do everything with a single specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure for the 20 sec your mana will hold then you evoc, and you have nothing for the boss.

Or your group won't wait for your mana to regen.
    For one thing you can play with anamoly and have no issue and third arcane barrage on 4 stacks also. It takes a long time to get fully oom on trash aoe.

Arcane is not specialized single target. There is a reason mages that had explosive echo traits played arcane on mythic zul and not frost.

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    For one thing you can play with anamoly and have no issue and third arcane barrage on 4 stacks also. It takes a long time to get fully oom on trash aoe.

Arcane is not specialized single target. There is a reason mages that had explosive echo traits played arcane on mythic zul and not frost.
    You either specialized in aoe or ST, yeah, Arcane is not a specialized school WHile melee can do it currently with a single spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane has great AOE, you just have to spec for it. Your ST will be weaker than normal, but for weeks when trash has more HP, your group will thank you in higher keys.

Arcane is absoletely fine for m+, and people claiming arcane has no good AoE clearly haven't played that spec. They are underrepresented, but you can find several arcane mages in the first pages of raider.io m+, the highest is ranked 4.

While it's also not bad at slowing and ccing mobs, frost does this job better. And that's what counts in higher keys where the tank no longer "tanks" but is constantly kiting the mobs. That's why frost mages are the overall most played spec in m+.

Fire currently is really a non viable spec currently and also the least represented spec in m+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    While it's also not bad at slowing and ccing mobs, frost does this job better. And that's what counts in higher keys where the tank no longer "tanks" but is constantly kiting the mobs. That's why frost mages are the overall most played spec in m+.
    I've never encountered that with keys below 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Arcane has great AOE, you just have to spec for it. Your ST will be weaker than normal, but for weeks when trash has more HP, your group will thank you in higher keys.
    Do you mean traits or just talents? Of course I'm using aoe talents, but it doesn't help. May be I should farm 340 gear with those traits, Currently I'm just using ST traits with high ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    I've never encountered that with keys below 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean traits or just talents? Of course I'm using aoe talents, but it doesn't help. May be I should farm 340 gear with those traits, Currently I'm just using ST traits with high ilvl.
    Arcane is more than viable for M+, it's straight up good. Not excellent like Frost though. With Rule of Threes, you go Explosion up to 3 charges, Blast x1, AB to conserve. That's very sustainable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Arcane is more than viable for M+, it's straight up good. Not excellent like Frost though. With Rule of Threes, you go Explosion up to 3 charges, Blast x1, AB to conserve. That's very sustainable.
    I have no problems with mana with 4xexplosion+AM, but DPS is very low. I guess I need 3 AE traits to be competitive, they are extremely high.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do use 1 x Explosion and 1 x Barrage, my other piece being the Uldir trait, so that may help my DPS by a lot, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference, as I still do high AOE in raids when I'm pure ST.

Just checking you have Resonance, Reverberate and Arcane Orb talented for M+. Orb will give you 4 charges on trash, 2 on ST.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have no problems with mana with 4xexplosion+AM, but DPS is very low. I guess I need 3 AE traits to be competitive, they are extremely high.
    Don't forget to use AP and RoP on trash

The cooldowns are super duper short. Use 'em. You're not hanging on to them like Time Warp.

Dropping CDs then going 4c ABarr - AE x 4 - ABarr is MONSTROUS AoE burst.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats news to me, I've only ever seen Arcane AoE as very strong. And I have 3x Galvanizing Spark traits, don't even give a shit about traits actually. Now, I assume you meant AB (Arcane Barrage) and not AM. Now you take Resonace and Reverberate and you'll se crits upwards of 20-40k on several mobs at a time depending on gear.

I play arcane in m+ unless my tank is under geared then frost so the tank can kite easier
    Kaltra - Vengeance DH Illidan

You either specialized in aoe or ST, yeah, Arcane is not a specialized school WHile melee can do it currently with a single spec.
    Yeah you specialized into AoE but oh wait, DH, Rogue, and Warriors can blast both your AoE and ST out of the water with the same spec build.

Arcane is absolutely a one-trick pony that doesn't even do either thing great compared to melee atm. That's my inherent problem with the current talent philosophy is that you have to go all or nothing with some specs whereas others (like Frost) can do both relatively well with the same build.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Yeah you specialized into AoE but oh wait, DH, Rogue, and Warriors can blast both your AoE and ST out of the water with the same spec build.

Arcane is absolutely a one-trick pony that doesn't even do either thing great compared to melee atm. That's my inherent problem with the current talent philosophy is that you have to go all or nothing with some specs whereas others (like Frost) can do both relatively well with the same build.
    You do realize that is exactly what I was saying? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post

Not really. Arcane with AoE build is still doing more dmg than frost ST. People are heavily underestimating Arcane AoE right now.

Frost is only better for that aoe slow + kiting.

Main reason for arcane being bad for m+ in my experience is not that damage is low, but AoE as arcane in mythics can be extremely risky as you have to go meele. It's so easy to overaggro and when you are meele its little time to react as opposed to frost when you get aggro you are already away from the adds, they are constant slowed and you can even freeze them