Overhealing as monk

Hey guys, first time healer, long time player here. As a strictly mythic+ healer, should I be worried about the amount of overheal I sometimes do?

I always have some overhealing done, it went up to 20% once, and that amount primarily comes from stuff like:
    - Using Renewing Mist early in fights so the multiple target upkeep is as constant as possible
    - Vivify hitting multiple targets and one of those targets doesn't really need the heal
    - The statue being on the tank most of the time
    - Occasionally using Revival as mass dispel and not as emergency heal
    - Essence Font not timed properly with damage taken (still learning this one)

Is this a problem? I rarely have mana issues (only drinking after chaining a bunch of packs without downtime), and even in multiple pack pulls and unusually longer boss fights, well timed Mana Tea saves me a lot of trouble. I only recently switched to Mana Tea from Lifecycles, and I really feel more comfortable with it.

As far as healing done goes, I really have no idea if I'm doing a good job. I had 11k hps overall on mythic 5, but that could be good or bad depending on the amount of damage taken by group.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Is this a problem? I rarely have mana issues
    In M+ why are you even worried about your over healing if its not to save mana? It sounds like your trying to min/max to a tedious and pointless level. In M+ as long as you don't actively slow the group down from drinking its a non-issue.

As far as healing done goes, I really have no idea if I'm doing a good job. I had 11k hps overall on mythic 5, but that could be good or bad depending on the amount of damage taken by group.
    where there any deaths you think you could have prevented, like a slow death you just prioritized targets wrong, or maybe cocoon could have stopped a spike, if not you did good. Numbers wise hps in a 5man is a moot point, healer dps is more important then hps assuming no one dies.

Thats just my 2 cents I guess. The biggest question I end up asking myself after a dungeon is "did I spend too much time healing, when I could have been dpsing to speed the run up"

What the guy above said. Healing in WoW is not about "do this to do better" like it is with dps.

The main points have already been listed - look at deaths and think what you could have done to help prevent them. Try to use your addon timers to predict incoming damage and use CD's appropriately.

Furthermore, HPS is a completely useless stat to be gauging because it'll fluctuate based on the damage the group takes. Instead focus on CD useage and dps/CC you could be helping with in the downtimes. There's always more to do.

The biggest tip I have for healing is to simply play the game. There are way too many situations and niches for people to ever simply go "do this to do gooder" so just play the game and as you gather experience, you'll get better.

Hey guys, first time healer, long time player here. As a strictly mythic+ healer, should I be worried about the amount of overheal I sometimes do?

I always have some overhealing done, it went up to 20% once, and that amount primarily comes from stuff like:
    - Using Renewing Mist early in fights so the multiple target upkeep is as constant as possible
    - Vivify hitting multiple targets and one of those targets doesn't really need the heal
    - The statue being on the tank most of the time
    - Occasionally using Revival as mass dispel and not as emergency heal
    - Essence Font not timed properly with damage taken (still learning this one)

Is this a problem? I rarely have mana issues (only drinking after chaining a bunch of packs without downtime), and even in multiple pack pulls and unusually longer boss fights, well timed Mana Tea saves me a lot of trouble. I only recently switched to Mana Tea from Lifecycles, and I really feel more comfortable with it.

I'm just gonna say a few things right off the bat. If you feel you have too much overhealing and your party is generally over 80% health.. let hots do their job and convert some of that overhealing into doing damage and applying that sweeet 5% damage buff.

Renewing mist is a smart heal and will find people who need that healing and as such is good at eliminated lots of overhealing... overhealing is overhealing... a waste of TIME and MANA which means you could be doing something else

if you need help on that please refer to the Fistweave fight club STICKY at the top of the monk forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ice216 View Post
    It sounds like your trying to min/max to a tedious and pointless level. In M+ as long as you don't actively slow the group down from drinking its a non-issue.
    I've been playing tanks and dps in the past, and so I kinda got used to trying to get as much dps as I can, or perfectly manage cooldowns and execute mechanics as a raid tank. With healer I feel a bit like there is a limit depending on level of content and I struggle with finding ways to improve in a particular situation. I was mostly tanking in Draenor and Legion and gotten used to having more control over the group, now it's more like "I'm doing my thing, now let's see if the others are going to get us through or not".

Quote Originally Posted by ice216 View Post
    where there any deaths you think you could have prevented, like a slow death you just prioritized targets wrong, or maybe cocoon could have stopped a spike, if not you did good. Numbers wise hps in a 5man is a moot point, healer dps is more important then hps assuming no one dies.
    Honestly, most of the deaths come from mistakes with pulling, mechanics or interrupts (and I can often manage even those moments). I guess the next thing I should do is try to increase the dps. Right now, I always use Spinning Kick to apply debuff, and Sweep or Ring of Peace to interrupt or buy more time for my heals to do the job. But I don't engage in pure dps that much, which is why it never goes beyond 5%.