Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    Playing caster feels like shit atm, not talking from balance stand point cause there are tier 1 casters but from fun perspective

Playing a hunter or melee just feels so much more fun than playing a caster because I can actually use my abilities and not fake cast half the time or sit in kicks half the time
    Let's be honest here. WoW PvP is World of Stuncraft.

Blizz has gotten very lazy with PvP and has decided on the easiest possible solution to handle balance...stuns and interrupts. It is also what has made the PvP game extremely boring.

Even when I'm playing on one of my melee toons, I find the PvP game simply annoying, and not fun at all. On my rogue, the game doesn't really reward being a good stealth character coming in at the right time nearly as much as performing stuns and interrupts at the right time...which is no different than being on, e.g., a Ret Pally.

TBH, don't expect Blizz to actually address this issue as it would require them to put significant effort into balancing damage and healing and removing all the stuns and interrupts they've put into nearly all the classes now (which means people would scream bloody murder if they were removed). That isn't something that happens with a cash cow.

If you want good PvP, go play one of the MOBAs or even one of the FPS games. Blizz just doesn't care enough about WoW PvP to address the fundamental issues they've created.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    if anything they reduced useful spellschools

as frost mage you cant use any fire or arcane spells(besides sheep) when kicked on frost, cuz you simply dont have them.. you just afk, as affliction you're just afk if you're kicked, same with a lot of other classes/specs

back in the days you could use other shit when you got locked, now you're just jumping around

but also yeah, there used to be more cc and less mobility.. but at the same time it was harder to land cc and drs were different, and it was harder to do damage
    Cmon are you really complaining as a frost mage? Agreed caster/melee skill difference is a thing (although casters can do well in good comps if played well) but I think frost mage is an exception, right now their roots and snares are insane.

Playing caster feels like shit atm, not talking from balance stand point cause there are tier 1 casters but from fun perspective

Playing a hunter or melee just feels so much more fun than playing a caster because I can actually use my abilities and not fake cast half the time or sit in kicks half the time
    The early WoW years had noncapped-castpushback and interrupts for casters and you had to weight each cast for mana cost, because endless spamming of spells was not an option. Kiting and tactical spell cast decision had to be used to counter melees. The skill cap was high and bad players suffered a lot.

I am not sure how you can suggest the last and only SLOW-DOWN (not counter) to todays INSTANT-SPELL/SPAM/ENDLESS-MANA casters.
    The only balance there is between melee and caster, that blizzard allow each pvp season a few melee specs to stay borderline OP just to keep the casters specs in check.

The whole combat system is now SPAM-HIGH-BURST-DPS and counter with IMMUNITYS/HUGE-RAID-COOLDOWNS and repeat till there are no cooldowns left to use. If you lack IMMUNITYS/HUGE-RAID-COOLDOWNS your spec/class is not even pvp viable right now. If you lack SPAM-HIGH-BURST-DPS your spec/class is not even pvp viable right now.

Interrupts are not the problem, CC's/Burst/Immunitys should not be given to certain classes/specs as a full package or it will just break any kind of pvp.

at this moment, as a DK, I spend like 70% of my time in polymorphe, fear, root, stun, pathetic slow movement and the other 30% trying to catch up with healers and caster DPSs and doing actual damage. so if you think the only thing that gives me a moment to not get CC should be removed because you are bad at kiting then Im sorry for you, you dont know your class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The early WoW years had noncapped-castpushback and interrupts for casters and you had to weight each cast for mana cost, because endless spamming of spells was not an option. Kiting and tactical spell cast decision had to be used to counter melees. The skill cap was high and bad players suffered a lot.

I am not sure how you can suggest the last and only SLOW-DOWN (not counter) to todays INSTANT-SPELL/SPAM/ENDLESS-MANA casters.
    The only balance there is between melee and caster, that blizzard allow each pvp season a few melee specs to stay borderline OP just to keep the casters specs in check.

The whole combat system is now SPAM-HIGH-BURST-DPS and counter with IMMUNITYS/HUGE-RAID-COOLDOWNS and repeat till there are no cooldowns left to use. If you lack IMMUNITYS/HUGE-RAID-COOLDOWNS your spec/class is not even pvp viable right now. If you lack SPAM-HIGH-BURST-DPS your spec/class is not even pvp viable right now.

Interrupts are not the problem, CC's/Burst/Immunitys should not be given to certain classes/specs as a full package or it will just break any kind of pvp.
    also this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

remember the days when healers and casters could get to the point they lacked mana? these days you could honestly TRY to get yourself mana burned and still sti at 80% mana.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephel View Post
    Other solutions than dr may be:
    - Make a bunch of caster dps spells uninterruptable
    All that would do is make the casters with the most uninterruptable spells become dominant above other casters and reduce the skill cap of all casters.

- Add something that messes with physical dps as badly as interrupts do
    There was and it was called a disarm. It was removed because it was too punishing in melee vs. melee situations and completely killed burst CDs when used (i.e.: cast avenging wrath > get disarmed > 6 seconds of avenging wrath gone with little-to-no damage done). It was 6 seconds (I believe) and had no trigger (such as casting a spell for it to take effect).

- Maybe some cool downs that make you uninterruptable?
    Some CDs like this do exist and all that it does is lead to other forms of CC being used if able to ensure the cast doesn't get off, leading to the interrupt still being up and the CD being wasted. For example, if I see a warlock use unending resolve while I'm on my hunter, I'll usually trap them if I see that they're not being pressured; I'll assume they're gonna try for UA spam or something and simply trap them.

- Just remove the lockout mechanism entirely for caster dps, have interrupts only kill off the current cast
    No, that's silly. The point of interrupts is to stop the caster from being able to cast a powerful spell and punishes for not interrupt juking. The idea that interrupts should be nerfed in that way is to request that the skill ceiling for all casters to be significantly lowered.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    No, that's silly. The point of interrupts is to stop the caster from being able to cast a powerful spell and punishes for not interrupt juking. The idea that interrupts should be nerfed in that way is to request that the skill ceiling for all casters to be significantly lowered.
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, and I'm not sure interrupts are the problem either.. But playing an immobile caster, and having no way to get away (unless peeled from teammates obviously).

Either way, I'm just spitballing here, but what if interrupts put the SPELL being cast on cooldown for "longer than currently" rather than putting an entire school on cd..

Interrupting a Greater Pyro would put greater pyro on cd, but you'd still be able to fireball or whatever fire mages does. Could work like it does on healers though I suppose.

Again, just spitballing, I'm sure there are major issues with this as well..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, and I'm not sure interrupts are the problem either.. But playing an immobile caster, and having no way to get away (unless peeled from teammates obviously).

Either way, I'm just spitballing here, but what if interrupts put the SPELL being cast on cooldown for "longer than currently" rather than putting an entire school on cd..

Interrupting a Greater Pyro would put greater pyro on cd, but you'd still be able to fireball or whatever fire mages does. Could work like it does on healers though I suppose.

Again, just spitballing, I'm sure there are major issues with this as well..
    Yeah, I think it would be less of a problem if Blizzard gave classes some baseline spells again (such as Frostfire bolt) that can be cast but are simply not effective in a normal dps rotation. At the very least it would make it feel like you're doing something while you've still been sufficiently punished for being interrupted.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Himhim View Post
    Cmon are you really complaining as a frost mage? Agreed caster/melee skill difference is a thing (although casters can do well in good comps if played well) but I think frost mage is an exception, right now their roots and snares are insane.
    complaining? what are you talking about?

first of all frost isnt even op, and if not for snares it would be really fucking bad

im talking about how back in the days classes were more complex and more fun

what i said has nothing to do with mages being good or bad.. im talking more about their design rather than them being good

and im not even playing mage at the time

10+ Year Old Account
    learn to fake cast
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    learn to fake cast
    Yes, self-cc is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post

early wow melees didnt have 100% uptime on ranged classes

Deleted
    my 2 cents:

1. interrupts are no longer on global CD. This is one of the major reasons the situation is so bad. All interrupts should go back on global CD.
    2. mobility and root/snare breaks are absurdly high. Even as a frost mage I cant keep a DH or feral off of me. Other classes only get stopped once in a while when they go out of cooldowns.
    3. most of casters do poor dmg with hard-casted spells. Frostbolt hits for ~3k .. while a DH, ret pally, warrior, rogue, survi or whatever melee almost globals me with instants. Most of caster damage comes from instant bursts.

One of the major reasons it feels so bad to be a caster is that it is hard to cast a spell, and when you do, it does poor damage. So it feels like most of the time you are just suffering .. not doing anything usefull. And when you finnaly get the INSTANT COMBO MEGA BURST .. it may not even move with the enemy health bar sometimes .. because damage reductions, self heals, immunity etc ....feels really horrible most of the time.

And if you win it does not even feel good .. because there was not a single moment that was fun .. only pain.

Its like .. back in the horror days .. winning a 10-15min arena did not feel good at all.

early wow melees didnt have 100% uptime on ranged classes
    Also this.

THe entire point behind Melee hitting so hard (warriors seem to hit me for about 15-20% of my HP per global) was that they didn't have 100% uptime, so when they DID manage to connect, they needed to do competitive damage to compensate. Problem is, unless you're one spec of hunter or one of two mage specs, melee effectively has 100% uptime on other casters/ranged.

As a warlock, once a melee is on me, that's that. Theyre never leaving, and i have no viable escape tools. (Portal being a talent is bullshit, and gateway is countered by every mobility skill that melee has). They park on my face and destroy me. I cant channel drain life (not that it heals for NEARLY enough anymore) to apply Shadow Embrace without getting interrupted/stunned back to back (often with other interrupting actions like a disorient or knockback thrown in for good measure), cant use UResolve because itll just get stuffed with a stun... nothing. My options are sit there and take it.

And then i die. Even if i manage to stack up 5x Shadow Embrace + Curse of Weakness (for a total of -50% damage done), their damage STILL outpaces any drain/life regain i can manage, AND they have better health regain than *I* do! DoTs dont hit hard enough (900 damage Corruption ticks, lelz) to matter compared to melee hits for 20k+, bleeds that out-damage ALL of my DoTs combined, and 2+ stuns, 3+ gap closers, CC immunity (SkillStorm), and an interrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    if anything they reduced useful spellschools

as frost mage you cant use any fire or arcane spells(besides sheep) when kicked on frost, cuz you simply dont have them.. you just afk, as affliction you're just afk if you're kicked, same with a lot of other classes/specs

back in the days you could use other shit when you got locked, now you're just jumping around

but also yeah, there used to be more cc and less mobility.. but at the same time it was harder to land cc and drs were different, and it was harder to do damage
    Wotlk was not particularly balanced. Leaving out legendary weapons and the broken hero class, the game was dominated by casters and it was much much easier to play a caster than a melee back then.

Casters (rightly) complain whenever they have it tough like they do in BFA. But they don't like to admit when the pendulum swings the other way and they end up faceroll overpowered like at the end of WotLK.

Deleted
    A good start would be to make melee interrupts also only be in melee range..

Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    Wotlk was not particularly balanced. Leaving out legendary weapons and the broken hero class, the game was dominated by casters and it was much much easier to play a caster than a melee back then.

Casters (rightly) complain whenever they have it tough like they do in BFA. But they don't like to admit when the pendulum swings the other way and they end up faceroll overpowered like at the end of WotLK.
    why are u speaking like this game is divided by caster vs melee players?
    i play both melees and casters and im just voicing my concern that playing caster is NOT fun
    who even cares what was in wotlk 10 years ago? its not a competition who has more OP patches

Yeeeppp PVP as a mage is dog-shit. Interrupt -> Silence -> Interrupt -> Interrupt -> stun if not dead. GG

Deleted
    Put interrupts on gcd again or punish melees for missing interrupts so fake casting becomes more relevant

All this crying that interupts should be on gcd/have dr/increased cd/removed. Imagine that casters are 100% viabale but their life is hard.

Reworking interupts will only make casters unbalanced, too strong. The problem is not about interupts or CC it's about overall gameplay that last expansions offered.

Bringing wotlk as example is super good. Gameplay was different. It was not about pressing 1 2 3 to do as much dmg as possible in casters vs melee scenario. Casters were working on kiting melees, melees were working on reaching target and both have a lot of outplay potential. Eating full bladestorm as warlock in wotlk? Dead or forced most cooldowns. Eating full bladestorm in legion as warlock? (example) Np, stand still mid arena and press 1 2 3.

Blizzard decided to make game easier overall so we don't see warriors standing in novas, we see warriors connecting to target nearly 24/7.

Skill gaps between players are lowet than in first years of wow, outplay mechanics are close to non-existant so here we have casters tanking dmg vs mobile melees.

I like Starwars: The Old Republics way of handling crowd control; you have a bar that fills up every time you get CC'ed, the more severe CC filling it up quicker. When you're half way, all CC lasts half the time, and when the bar is full, you bnecome immune to CC. They also have a trinket as well as this mechanic. This promotes clever CC and not mindless sheeping and stunning.
    RETH