The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Thats pretty untrue. The sequels forced them to go back and lean heavily on pre disney content like Clone Wars.
    The sequels them selfs leaned heavily on pre Disney content that wasn’t an after effect of them it was the plan since they made the EU legends and started picking pieces out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Lucas made several films after the prequels including Indiana Jones, so we all wish it drove him out of movie-making but that isn't really accurate. He sold the franchise 7 years after the last film came out. Also Star Wars was doing fine as far as I can tell, it certainly wasn't dormant. Selling to Disney caused them to produce a lot more content, but they want to recoup their investment, right? So it makes sense.
    Sure small amendment, the reception of the prequels and the crystal skull drove him into giving up on Lucas films.

But I wouldn’t take my word on it and neither should you.

As much as I hate videos like this finding old interviews is a massive pain, at 9:20 there is abunch of interviews with Lucas and some other Starwars involved people. I’d say the rest of the video can be disregarded.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-12-07 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The sequels them selfs leaned heavily on pre Disney content that wasn’t an after effect of them it was the plan since they made the EU legends and started picking pieces out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure small amendment, the reception of the prequels and the crystal skull drove him into giving up on Lucas films.

But I wouldn’t take my word on it and neither should you.

As much as I hate videos like this finding old interviews is a massive pain, at 9:20 there is abunch of interviews with Lucas and some other Starwars involved people. I’d say the rest of the video can be disregarded.
    []https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aon87tljHRo&app=desktop&persist_app=1[/]
    I'm not watching that but here is an interview with Lucas: https://twitter.com/kershed/status/1334515036820271111

No mention of the prequels.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not watching that but here is an interview with Lucas:https://twitter.com/kershed/status/1334515036820271111

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoUmQetW...jpg&name=large

No mention of the prequels.
    Fair enough opinionated YouTubers are always an annoyance.

As for the interview you linked ya it’s nice and all to have the gift of hind sight and make an edited book with it but I’d personally go with interviews from when these things were actually current to build a full picture instead of just the edited aftermath.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    As for the interview you linked ya it’s nice and all to have the gift of hind sight and make an edited book with it but I’d personally go with interviews from when these things were actually current to build a full picture instead of just the edited aftermath.
    It isn't the edited aftermath. It is word straight from Lucas for why he didn't do a Sequel himself. Yes the internet hate turned him off when the prequels were released and had an impact on actors just as it has now. But he was still involved since he was doing Clone Wars and its story has mirrors to what he wanted to explore in the rumored versions of his Sequels.

But he decided to retire and do something else. This is part of the problem with Star Wars. So many people latch on to their fantasy of the franchise instead of being able to let go and accept what happens.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Thats pretty untrue. The sequels forced them to go back and lean heavily on pre disney content like Clone Wars.
    They're just *distancing* themselves from the sequels right now for some breathing room, but by no means have they abandoned it.

The devil's in the details, and if you are paying attention to Mandalorian you'd see that they're using 'pre-disney content' to build bridges to the new stuff. Look at the Snoke Tanks in Mandalorian recently; it shows they aren't just moving away from the new sequels content. I think there were also rumors of Grogu being placed in Sequel universe content, like training with Rey and whatnot.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It isn't the edited aftermath. It is word straight from Lucas for why he didn't do a Sequel himself. Yes the internet hate turned him off when the prequels were released and had an impact on actors just as it has now. But he was still involved since he was doing Clone Wars and its story has mirrors to what he wanted to explore in the rumored versions of his Sequels.

But he decided to retire and do something else. This is part of the problem with Star Wars. So many people latch on to their fantasy of the franchise instead of being able to let go and accept what happens.
    Your right it is word straight from Lucas, just like every other interview he did over the years. The thing is one interview years later with the gift of hindsight doesn’t invalidate earlier ones which are closer to events.

You can look back and change your view of events when you have distance from them editing isn’t only confined to sniping out quotes or changing lines of text.

I personally prefer going down the timeline of interviews to see what he really felt at the time instead of sticking to the hindsight 2020 view and pretending nothing else ever existed.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-12-07 at 07:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lucas made several films after the prequels including Indiana Jones, so we all wish it drove him out of movie-making but that isn't really accurate. He sold the franchise 7 years after the last film came out. Also Star Wars was doing fine as far as I can tell, it certainly wasn't dormant. Selling to Disney caused them to produce a lot more content, but they want to recoup their investment, right? So it makes sense.

I agree though that the prequels had a much larger impact on Star Wars than the sequels. The prequels and their spinoffs added new characters, new perspectives on old characters, new worlds, etc, all things that are still relevant in the storytelling. It's hard to picture that happening for the sequels - they were just a snack of a series, eaten then forgotten (Last Jedi may have a lasting impact, to be fair). Maybe they will be saved by fan-creators who produce content that helps better integrate them into the universe and explains away some of the terrible decisions.

Anyway the prequels didn't ruin Star Wars and so far neither did the sequels, they were just movies that didn't work very well for very different reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

He said he sold Lucasfilm to spend more time with his family?
    You just reminded us that after Lucas killed SW he killed Indiana Jones.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You just reminded us that after Lucas killed SW he killed Indiana Jones.
    It's one of those "I made you, I can destroy you!" type of things I guess. Except like a classic plucky hero Star Wars managed to outlast Lucas. Indy... might be gone.

It's one of those "I made you, I can destroy you!" type of things I guess. Except like a classic plucky hero Star Wars managed to outlast Lucas. Indy... might be gone.
    Indy is dead and buried.

Harrison Ford doesn't give a shit about anything any more.

And Shia can't be the new Indy. That'd be unforgiveable, even though he's actually kind of more gritty and manly now then he was then, when he played Mutt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Indy is dead and buried.

Harrison Ford doesn't give a shit about anything any more.

And Shia can't be the new Indy. That'd be unforgiveable, even though he's actually kind of more gritty and manly now then he was then, when he played Mutt.
    There's always Alden Ehrenreich (not being serious).

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Mace Windu will come back in next episode. Him and Booba Fett have a un-finished conflict.

If you watched clone wars, he tried to kill him by making a bomb helmet from his father explode into his face (and he also killed a lot of clones).

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I wonder if Mace Windu will come back in next episode. Him and Booba Fett have a un-finished conflict.

If you watched clone wars, he tried to kill him by making a bomb helmet from his father explode into his face (and he also killed a lot of clones).
    Isn't Mace dead?
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-07 at 10:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Isn't Mace dead?
    Yes. But fans, and even Jackson, have wanted him to "magically" come back. It wouldn't be unheard of for Star Wars even before Disney poorly set up Palpatines return. But I don't see it really happening in any meaningful way. As a force ghost? Sure. Or some flash back. There is also the obi-wan series that could allow it but if I remember right it is set between episode 3 and 4 so he would already be dead.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Not really. Most of their efforts are focused on The High Republic, not Clone Wars.

And a lot of the Clone Wars aspects lean heavily onto Rebel evolutions of those Clone Wars concepts and Rebels is Disney Star Wars.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Isn't Mace dead?
    Well we never seen his corpse after the fall.

Also, the characters in star wars seems to be highly resistant to fall damage.

Even when cut in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well we never seen his corpse after the fall.

Also, the characters in star wars seems to be highly resistant to fall damage.

Even when cut in half.
    Don't they usually reserve this kinda asspull for bad guys though? Boba, Darth Maul, Palpatine sure, but it seems like a disservice to bring back a Master Jedi 'from the dead' the same way.

Honestly I don't care about supposed continuity as much as I care about the quality of the new material that (soft-)breaks it. Who cares if Mace is implied to be dead in some supplementary material - if he's brought back in a cool way I'm 100% fine with it. Emphasis on IN A COOL WAY, though. What matters is that they do whatever they do with him well, and very often it's not done well when a character is brought back (see our friend Palpatine). My problem is with shitty writing, not resurrections; even if the two seem to go hand in hand more often than not it's not necessarily a casual link.

Same goes for all the "SJW" stuff. I'm fully on board with diversity and representation, but it's no substitute for good writing like some people seem to believe it is. And my problem is and always has been with shitty writing, not whatever other factors that writing is attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Solid episode again. Just nitpicking here, but the former SWTOR player in me was hoping they would do more with Tython. Would have been cool to showcase some ancient Jedi ruins and have it appear more "mystical" rather than the generic mountainous terrain it appeared as.
    Gotta remember that was over 1000 years ago yea? Planet surfaces change drastically in that amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Honestly I don't care about supposed continuity as much as I care about the quality of the new material that (soft-)breaks it. Who cares if Mace is implied to be dead in some supplementary material - if he's brought back in a cool way I'm 100% fine with it. Emphasis on IN A COOL WAY, though. What matters is that they do whatever they do with him well, and very often it's not done well when a character is brought back (see our friend Palpatine). My problem is with shitty writing, not resurrections; even if the two seem to go hand in hand more often than not it's not necessarily a casual link.

Same goes for all the "SJW" stuff. I'm fully on board with diversity and representation, but it's no substitute for good writing like some people seem to believe it is. And my problem is and always has been with shitty writing, not whatever other factors that writing is attached to.
    Great post. The Star Trek: Discovery sub on this forum really suffers the fallout of Progressiveness in shows and films being used by poor writers.

No one had any sort of issue back in the day when Susan Ivanova and that bird from PSI Corp. got it on back in B5, or when Ryker fell in love with an alien from a non-binary species in ST: TNG, cos the material was well written. Fiction, in particular Science Fiction, traditionally comments on present-day social issues through the use of metaphors and analogies, allowing the writer to tackle (but not really tackle) important social issues without sounding like they're preaching. Its something a lot of genre writers seem to have forgotten how to do these days.

P.S. Not so on board with Mace suddenly making a full-on return. I mean, Annie/Vader defeated him over what? 20-odd years before when Mando is set. I don't really see why (or how) they'd justify him returning in the flesh.

Now...If Farveau and Filoni have enough pull seeing a brief Force Ghost ensamble of Yoda, Mace, Ben and Qui-Gon played by SLJ, E McG, and LN that would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2020-12-07 at 11:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mace Windu coming back would just be ridiculous, not that SW isn't 60% ridiculousness. It would be out of character for a Jedi Master, his own personality, and from a meta/doylist perspective. They haven't really pushed the story in that direction for good characters. Bad characters cling to lie because they can't let go, often coming back in some broken form. Jedi give themselves to the Force.

For Mace to have laid low for all that time would be crazy. He was basically the Paladin of the Jedi Council. He didn't hesitate to judge his own Jedi according to his principles, which he held very high. He might have laid low initially but not for long as Vader was going around cutting up people left and right. Not as he knew the truth about everything. Not when he had justice to be giving out. Yoda could lay low because Yoda say the Order's failures and knew his role in the contingency plan. Obi-wan was locked into his mission. Mace's mission in his mind was to serve justice no matter how much he had to go against the grain. Mace would have gone out like Kirak Infil'a.

Nah. Mace isn't coming back alive in the present time of Mando. Doesn't mean that can't find ways to get the character on screen again.