1. #3061
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It really isn't that big of a deal. He has done six other roles during the first two seasons of the Mandalorian and a seventh, a Nicolas Cage movie, is in post-production. He also has a stunt double so he isn't required for some of the filming. The only time it would be a problem is if Disney didn't secure priority in the contract when there are scheduling conflicts.
    We shall see. Looking around after this was announced there doesn't seem to be any strong indication yet what the shooting schedule will be for TLOU or where that will fall in line with Mandolorian going forward. That will determine when Pascal really will be spending his time; shooting a film is nothing compared to a series shooting.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I mean if you're comparing E news and hollywood reporters to youtubers as "solid" sources I really dont know what to tell you.

    I wouldnt get my news from either mmo champion user Fencers and I suggest you look for better sources of information. Which admittedly is getting harder as real journalism dies a slow painful death.
    Okay, cool. Continue about your way then. Thanks for the chat.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  2. #3062
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

    Okay, cool. Continue about your way then. Thanks for the chat.
    People like you are the reason journalism is in the shitter in the first place. You talk about industry weight of youtubers and who gets access is what matters. People who ask hard/interesting questions are not invited back because we live in a world of yes men where people don't want to have intelligent conversations they just want to sell thier product and eat it up. So yeah continue getting your solid news from youtubers and believing it for all i care ill pick reality every time.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  3. #3063
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    their employers and audiences are in the right to ignore or disassociate from them based on those views too.

    Disney is a huge brand. Star Wars is a huge brand. If a performer associated with the brands is causing a ruckus to the dismay of the owners- the owners can and do fire them.

    Think about a job you may have had, say, selling mattresses. If you made it difficult for Serta to sell mattresses by employing you or harmed their reputation in social perception then they would likely fire you too.
    Which is all the statement is meant to convey, I think. Higher visibility and dependence on "the brand" means you need to conform more and more tightly to that brands ideals to keep your job.

    If actors/actresses/other high profile job holding folks want to continue doing these jobs they need to seriously be careful with what they say, how they say it, who they say it to, etc... which means it's likely easier to just stfu so there's no controversy.

    You're absolutely correct in that they have just as much right to say what they want, but as with Gina, these are the consequences if you say the wrong thing.

    OT: I'm a little sad to see the character go, because I think they could have done some cool stuff with it, but in the grand scheme the role she played as the hard as nails female ex-soldier type can easily be filled by dozens of others, so there's not really much value lost by her departure.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2021-02-11 at 08:13 PM.

  4. #3064
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    People like you are the reason journalism is in the shitter in the first place. You talk about industry weight of youtubers and who gets access is what matters. People who ask hard/interesting questions are not invited back because we live in a world of yes men where people don't want to have intelligent conversations they just want to sell thier product and eat it up. So yeah continue getting your solid news from youtubers and believing it for all i care ill pick reality every time.
    Well, I am overjoyed to be contributing to the death of journalism in the entertainment industry at the expense of those asking the hard-hitting question like thermal dynamics of Turbo-Lasers and if Blue Milk is organic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You're absolutely correct in that they have just as much right to say what they want, but as with Gina, these are the consequences if you say the wrong thing.
    Totally. You can't tell Gina Carano she isn't entitled to her opinion or deny her basic right to have a point of view. It's on her what she wants to do with it and how to express it- of which there is a justified consequence if you plan on living in modern society.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  5. #3065
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, I am overjoyed to be contributing to the death of journalism in the entertainment industry at the expense of those asking the hard-hitting question like thermal dynamics of Turbo-Lasers and if Blue Milk is organic.
    Yeah of course you have to go to the nutty extreme to try counter my point.

    Let me guess you think archaic shows like the Jimmy Kimmel show and Conan are really live and not just pre-rehearsed/recorded script readings rather than an interview.

    Heres a challenge for ya, try find a interview of david benioff or DB Weiss for game of thrones post season 3 without stars of the show with them or in an enviroment where the questions are not easily controlled. So when asked a question about the writing for daenerys targaryen character watch as they awkwardly pass that over to the star emilia clarke, because she wrote the character and all not just because shes the famous face playing the role. But nah all that kinda stuff is fine, nothing to see here in hollywood!

    Accountability doesnt matter if you're big enough!
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  6. #3066
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    67,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    OT: I'm a little sad to see the character go, because I think they could have done some cool stuff with it, but in the grand scheme the role she played as the hard as nails female ex-soldier type can easily be filled by dozens of others, so there's not really much value lost by her departure.
    I was a big fan of Carano before she started speaking out like this; I liked an actress with actual fight experience in action roles, and she's a bunch beefier in a way I really like. I thought she'd made a better Wonder Woman than Gadot, in terms of fight scenes and appearance, though I'll freely admit I always knew she was a weaker actress outside the physicality stuff. You can probably find posts of mine saying that way back, if you go hunting. I say all that to underscore that, absent her comments, I'd have been stoked to see her continue on.

    However, Cara Dune's story is basically over. She was an ex-Republic soldier, felt abandoned and directionless, lost. She found her path, becoming a Marshal. We ended with her helping out the guy who helped her find her way. Her story's tied off neatly, and anything further would need a new problem for her to overcome, or she'd just be a tagalong for nostalgia's sake.

    It's not just that her role could be filled by anyone, it's that her character's story arc finished. If we never see Cara Dune again, that leaves no loose threads unresolved at this point.

  7. #3067
    Pandaren Monk Sinyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You'd have a point if children were logging onto their local plumbers twitter to see their heroes in action like their favorite character on their favorite TV show.

    Athletes, movie stars, politician. Some jobs have higher standards of what is expected in public displays.
    Only because you give that power to them. Americans infatuation with athletes and "celebrities" is crazy to me.

  8. #3068
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Only because you give that power to them. Americans infatuation with athletes and "celebrities" is crazy to me.
    It is but you can kind of understand when younger people are looking up to them as role models and want to be the new star quarter back or the new captain america rather than the new superstar accountant

    They never said they were gonna be role models, but it comes with the territory if you're playing a famous role or playing for a big team. And they are compensated for it financially so its easy to not feel too bad for them
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  9. #3069
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not just that her role could be filled by anyone, it's that her character's story arc finished. If we never see Cara Dune again, that leaves no loose threads unresolved at this point.
    Agreed, but given the part she had in Din's story thus far, there could have been plenty of opportunities for Cara Dune to step in and be useful and not forgotten, just like any other recurring supporting/side character. I think they could have done cool things with that.

  10. #3070
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah of course you have to go to the nutty extreme to try counter my point.
    I dunno, dude. Stating "people like me" as a reason "journalism is in the shitter" seems far more extreme than a glib comment about blue milk. This conversation is over. It's now off-topic and is largely irrelevant to the current thread. Whatever satisfies your personal criteria, go for it.

    I will continue living life just fine.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  11. #3071
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    UTA, Carano's talent agency, has also dropped her. It is very likely her entertainment career in film and television is over.

    https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-man...sy-1234691964/
    I'm sure she can still get work in Kevin Sorbo's next project :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  12. #3072
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,853
    Good riddance on GC. I honestly wanted to watch the series but after certain individuals made comments I put it off. Now they are gone I’m more than ok with getting Disney+ and start watching this series.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  13. #3073
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They are still people. Arguably, they do their job because they are effective at communicating thoughts and emotions; which comes from the experience of living and participating in the world.

    Seems somewhat elitist to think someone with wealth can not say anything they believe in too. Especially to the "unwashed masses", which is a hugely loaded term. What makes you or me more, washed? Hmmmm?

    Societies are shaped by those who participate in them- and that is still inclusive of those without and without means. Usually, societies create certain norms and traditions we value over others to one degree or another. These shift over time- but Carano and Pascal are still human beings who live in the world and entitled to their points of view; their employers and audiences are in the right to ignore or disassociate from them based on those views too.

    Disney is a huge brand. Star Wars is a huge brand. If a performer associated with the brands is causing a ruckus to the dismay of the owners- the owners can and do fire them.

    Think about a job you may have had, say, selling mattresses. If you made it difficult for Serta to sell mattresses by employing you or harmed their reputation in social perception then they would likely fire you too.
    You do realize that James Gunn was fired and then rehired by Disney despite posting pedophile-esque garbage on Twitter. Amber Heard abused Johnny Depp (and could face legal repercussions for it), yet still gets acting roles while Depp has lost both of the roles he was cast in for upcoming films. I probably wouldn't give a damn about Gina Carano getting fired for being a provocateur on social media if it wasn't for the fact that when it comes to being a shitty human being, those two people are a lot worse than she is and they have still retained employment. It's pretty plain to me that Disney's "standards" for employee conduct don't exist or they only exist for people with certain political leanings.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2021-02-12 at 04:14 AM.

  14. #3074
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Agreed, but given the part she had in Din's story thus far, there could have been plenty of opportunities for Cara Dune to step in and be useful and not forgotten, just like any other recurring supporting/side character. I think they could have done cool things with that.
    Still can. They are recasting bigger characters than her.

  15. #3075
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You do realize that James Gunn was fired and then rehired by Disney despite posting pedophile-esque garbage on Twitter. Amber Heard abused Johnny Depp (and could face legal repercussions for it), yet still gets acting roles while Depp has lost both of the roles he was cast in for upcoming films. I probably wouldn't give a damn about Gina Carano getting fired for being a provocateur on social media if it wasn't for the fact that when it comes to being a shitty human being, those two people are a lot worse than she is and they have still retained employment. It's pretty plain to me that Disney's "standards" for employee conduct don't exist or they only exist for people with certain political leanings.
    James Gunn's comments were made long before he was employed by Disney and he has apologized for them. Disney fired him while they performed an investigation and re-hired him after the investigation was concluded.

    Gina Carrano made the comments she made while being employed by Disney. She had ignored warnings about her conduct. She has not apologized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

  16. #3076
    I was sad to see Gina Carano go as she was honestly one of the main reasons I liked the show, because I loved that they actually hired a woman that was believable when she knocked guys out and on top of that she is Sexy AF.

  17. #3077
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Still can. They are recasting bigger characters than her.
    Fair enough. They can recast her, I'm just not usually a fan of it when they do that as the new actor brings a different look and feel to the character. Many times, not for the better. But I doubt that will be the case here so we'll have to see.

    No biggie either way.

  18. #3078
    Warchief Mukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ANC! ANC! ANC!
    Posts
    2,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    UTA, Carano's talent agency, has also dropped her. It is very likely her entertainment career in film and television is over.

    https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-man...sy-1234691964/
    Oh no, the Hollywood pedos are upset.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2021-02-12 at 04:15 AM.

  19. #3079
    We want strong willed women representation in our shows! Noooo, not that one!

  20. #3080
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    We want strong willed women representation in our shows! Noooo, not that one!
    They were all fine and happy with her until weirdos wanted her executed for not putting pronouns in her twitter bio. That's how all the shit with her started.

    Look at all the people in here cheering her being fired. I bet if she made a twitter post comparing half of the united states populace to confederates and nazis she would have been fired on the spot...shit that was Pedro, my bad, "he's good because he's one of us"

    You guys don't even try and pretend you don't live by a double standard anymore.

    Lucasfilm has killed StarWars, it's dead to me and I do not care anymore. The stories suck now, the characters suck now, you can fit a death star in the plot holes "Rey I have something I need to tell you!". Mandalorian wasn't even that good, it was average at best and that was light years better than the hot garbage that has been released lately. The people making decisions at Lucasfilm are too worried about pronouns, politics, and crucifying anyone with a different opinion that isn't their own than to worry about making a good Star Wars universe.

    *holds hands out for the thought police cuffs*

    Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2021-02-12 at 04:17 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •