10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    It's filler in the sense that the plot does not directly advance the main story, it's sort of a side quest.

For me that's completely OK, I enjoy it because Mandalorian is basically the first show I have ever seen which manages to do "filler episodes" so well that you don't even give a shit you didn't really learn anything new of importance. It's just so damn pleasing to watch.

But I do agree that this could be considered a filler episode.
    'Filler episodes' apply to serials. I think audiences forget that every thing that isn't a sitcom isn't made like a serial (with a lot of shows mimicking soap operas where a story may be connected and move but arcs just blend with no end in sight).

If you take Mando with its western and storybook style it has no fillers. It plays out like the story of a fabled gunslinger/bushido who ventured all over the place while slowly making a legend for himself.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    It's filler in the sense that the plot does not directly advance the main story, it's sort of a side quest.
    But it did advance the story. He went and saw the gangster, got information then went to find the Mando on Tatooine but failed to, then Boba Fett was shown, it advanced the plot whilst having another story connected to it.

Filler is stories that have literally no connection at all, usually completely separated from the main.

This episode wasn't a filler, it was an adventure along the way.

Mandalorian s2 ep1 was more monster hunter than the Monster hunter movie they make

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That is a good question. People throw filler around like a lot.

For example, people called Sanctuary, The Gunslinger and The Prisoner "filler" in the first season, but Sanctuary wasn't filler as it introduced Cara who was involved in the finale. And The Gunslinger introduced a character that appears again this season.

As of right now, the only clear "filler" is The Prisoner as it has as of now no connection to any other episode.
    While The Prisoner didn't advance the story, it showed us a little of the world, and further cemented the Mandalorian's character as 'not a good guy, but not heartless/cruel'. We got a little glimpse at his past, as well. I'm hesitant to call it 'filler', maybe because that word has a bad connotation to it.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    While The Prisoner didn't advance the story, it showed us a little of the world, and further cemented the Mandalorian's character as 'not a good guy, but not heartless/cruel'. We got a little glimpse at his past, as well. I'm hesitant to call it 'filler', maybe because that word has a bad connotation to it.
    Yeah, I don't view any episode truly as filler either because we don't know how things are going to connect yet. And even filler-y episodes build the world and characters.

The Gunslinger was "filler" until the episode The Marshall ... things could play out where things fit into the story overall.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    A filler for what? It's literally the start of a new season.
    Goal of the story seems to be to get Yoda back to the Jedi, did this episode advance that story? No it didn't, ergo it's filler.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    Goal of the story seems to be to get Yoda back to the Jedi, did this episode advance that story? No it didn't, ergo it's filler.
    The entire reason why he was on Tatooine in the first place was tracking down a lead in order to return the child to its kind. He was searching out more Mandalorians in order to learn more. It might have been a weaker part of advancing the story but it still was part of it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Very enjoyable mostly standalone episode, and a nice twist at the end. Production value obviously went up, the big action setpiece was quite impressive for a TV budget.

Honestly, as much as I'm interested in the serialized story, they nail these one-off adventure episodes so well that I'd be happy even if it were just an episodic anthology show.

Which wouldn't be a bad idea at all, fwiw. A "Star Wars Tales" style anthology series, with this production quality, would be really cool. And a good excuse to jump around history and bring in different actors.
    To me - this has always been what I thought Mandalorian was going for. The "old way" (not old to me but some people seem to think so lol) of 'drama' tv series where yes, there was an overarching plot that would come up throughout a season - but between those episodes you get the 'plot of the week' (monster of the week) that is just a one episode plotline.

I like that style of tv show and I hope that *IS* what they are going for. Its the impression I got from the first season and now, with the first episode of S2 done, hopefully what they continue with. Obviously, as these are still the 'new style' of tv show with only giving 8-12 episodes (at most), we don't need 8/10 episodes being 'monster of the week' but I am hopeful that there will be a good mix of 'adventures of the week' along with 'main storyline progression' steadily as well.

Though the First episode of s2 was strong and entertaining. I liked the inclusion of sand people as having actual language and culture and not just 'yelling space rednecks' as they've been limited to in the movies. For those of us who aren't Star Wars Lore die-hards - I' hope we just continue to get more and more of that lore brought into the tv/movie mainstream (and not just limited to books or video games).

And as I'm not someone who minds the 'full season serial' tv shows - I save the word 'filler' to describe TRUE Filler episodes - things like dream sequences, flash-back reels, and musical episodes. TRUE Filler. Clearly for this show - you'll have people who like the world building (like myself) who don't consider this type of episode 'filler' at all - and people who only want the main storyline and nothing else (who would consider this episode "Filler"). Really just comes down to personal expectations and preferences, as most things with opinions. =D
    Last edited by Koriani; 2020-11-03 at 06:46 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    This is how TV shows used to work, so it may be something that older folks are more used to and comfortable with. I personally really enjoy it because I can watch every episode almost completely independently from every other episode...while still understanding there is a bigger theme. This way if I miss an episode (which isn't really a thing anymore) or more likely, missed something that happened 5 episodes ago, I still enjoying the current episode and don't feel lost.

Take shows like the A-Team (staying one step ahead of the Government and trying to clear their name) or The Incredible Hulk (staying one step ahead of Mr. McGee and trying to figure out how to reverse his mutation). With few exceptions, any given episode would spend less than a couple minutes on the bigger story, with each episode having it's own story, which may be only loosely or tangentially related to the bigger story.

So yeah, I would say it didn't really advance the bigger story, but I'm OK with that. It could be like Gilligan's Island. The bigger story is getting home, but that will never happen until the final episode. No episode really advances the story of getting home, it's just there to give us background for the purpose of the characters each episode. Why did Mando go to Tatooine? He was looking for another Mando who might help him find a way to bring The Child home. That's all I need, now let the 1 hour adventure begin.

Its going to come down to personal preference, but I, for one, appreciate a show that doesn't have to follow the soap opera format of a never-ending story...lingering from week to week. Give me 1 hour, full story arcs, each week, and I'm a happy camper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    And as I'm not someone who minds the 'full season serial' tv shows - I save the word 'filler' to describe TRUE Filler episodes - things like dream sequences, flash-back reels, and musical episodes. TRUE Filler. Clearly for this show - you'll have people who like the world building (like myself) who don't consider this type of episode 'filler' at all - and people who only want the main storyline and nothing else (who would consider this episode "Filler"). Really just comes down to personal expectations and preferences, as most things with opinions. =D
    Just wanted to echo this. For the format of The Mandalorian, "filler" would mean the examples shown here.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

another decent episode.

im starting to wonder whether i am letting it get away with too much because of baby yoda though

not sure id be watching it if it wasnt in that universe, with that character

Not the greatest episode but still an enjoyable waste of half an hour.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    As of this episode, no episode of the series is truly filler as the story is the story of returning The Child to his people.

All episodes connect to at least one other episode now. Filler generally doesn't advance plot, have significant character development or is forgotten by later episodes.

The latest episode was fine and has been done in Star Wars before. It is not exactly like it, but there have been episodes in Both Rebels and The Clone Wars similar to it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    They did a small deathstar reference in canyon at least.

And i am sure i have seen those half-life 1 aliens before somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    They did a small deathstar reference in canyon at least.

And i am sure i have seen those half-life 1 aliens before somewhere.
    Got the same feeling. But I don't think it was in Star Wars...

The moment I saw Mom Frog with her eggs I knew where the eggs would end up :-)

The spiders looked a lot like the concept art for the Knobby White Spider - which went on to inspire the Krykna in Rebels - from The Empire Strikes Back.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krykna

At least season 2 is following season 1 where Mando gets randomly saved at the last minute. These first 2 episodes had done a good job showing he was a smart fighter, but then it fell back to its old deus ex machina storytelling which is frustrating because they can obviously tell interesting stories without needing to resort to that so often.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-11-06 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    At least season 2 is following season 1 where Mando gets randomly saved at the last minute. These first 2 episodes had done a good job showing he was a smart fighter, but then it fell back to its old deus ex machina storytelling which is frustrating because they can obviously tell interesting stories without needing to resort to that so often.
    Who saved him last minute in episode 1? He was the one who got eaten so he could blow the thing up. And it's not like the X-Wing pilots weren't already established as being in the area looking for him. If it had been another group of Mandolorians that randomly showed up to save him because he activated his transponder...that would have been convenient nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Who saved him last minute in episode 1? He was the one who got eaten so he could blow the thing up. And it's not like the X-Wing pilots weren't already established as being in the area looking for him. If it had been another group of Mandolorians that randomly showed up to save him because he activated his transponder...that would have been convenient nonsense.
    I just meant this episode. Not every season 1 episode had it either but there were too many. It was still convenient nonsense here because they showed up just as the big one was about to kill them. It's lazy storytelling. It's like the 4th time in 10 episodes Mando has been saved at the last minute by something out of his control.

Not the worst episode, but certainly a bit below par. The ex-machina ending was boring and lazy, but seeing some more of the current political situation is good. I hope this doesn't turn into The Baby Yoda Show but the final scene WAS quite funny. I also love the frog lady, it's great to see them put a bit more thought into aliens and their various physiologies. And I'm also a fan of breaking the translation convention, even just a little bit.