Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    The Mandalorian is an orphan(foundling) of the Clone Wars; he doesn't like droids because of the droid army who destroyed his home. He either was born into a clan or adopted into a clan and taught the ways of combat. The Mandalorian is a young mercenary with a few successful bounties that has put him on notice for better work. He's still earning Beskar armor, a right of passage of sorts for Mandalorians to show their worth as warriors. He's also partly inexperienced; he's made a few mistakes that nearly cost him his life, only to be saved by others able to rescue him at the last minute.

The hard part is that most of this is symbolic and only shown, none of it is explained via dialogue, which is where some viewers might be dissatisfied with the storytelling so far, but I am sure that dialogue will trickle in and become more prominent; people forget that he just took a job/bounty to a remote outpost in the middle of nowhere, there was no one to really talk to FFS.
    None of that is how to make characters interesting.

Who actually IS he? Like what is his personality. If you can describe them without mentioning what they look like, what costume they wore, what their profession is or what role they have.

Example: "my friend is silly and loves to crack jokes. She means well but sometimes lacks ambition. She has incredible social skills but doesn't apply herself enough. She is warm hearted but also fierce and will defend a viewpoint or a friend without hesitation."

THERE I've described someone. And I did it in a way that has nothing to do with the TV show or movie. You don't need to know a thing about a story to know that character.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-11-18 at 08:38 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Ughh.. When did this site become a far right bastion.. Literally the first 15 mins of the first episode there are no women... the 2nd episode.. 1 woman with few lines.. This show is already dog shit and lacks diversity. Shame on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I don't know what you are watching, but it isn't fucking reality.
    Hes talking about me saying Joe Biden has dementia. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    Ughh.. When did this site become a far right bastion.. Literally the first 15 mins of the first episode there are no women... the 2nd episode.. 1 woman with few lines.. This show is already dog shit and lacks diversity. Shame on you.
    yeah, that's from that collage of tweets i saw, their general synopsis.

isn't this one of the descriptions of the tribulation? because i'm wishing for my death harder and harder, yet it never comes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

Who actually IS he? Like what is his personality. If you can describe them without mentioning what they look like, what costume they wore, what their profession is or what role they have.

Example: "my friend is silly and loves to crack jokes. She means well but sometimes lacks ambition. She has incredible social skills but doesn't apply herself enough. She is warm hearted but also fierce and will defend a viewpoint or a friend without hesitation."

THERE I've described someone. And I did it in a way that has nothing to do with the TV show or movie. You don't need to know a thing about a story to know that character.
    It's literally the pilot episode, none of the personality quirks will be showcased that early on. We literally just met the character, your example is that of a best friend, it's hardly a fair comparison.

Of what I can say is that he's a coldhearted bastard on the job, but has an honorable personality. He tries to give others their due, especially if they helped him towards his goals. He also now hates Jawas...

He'll show his personality when he gets to talk, so far he hasn't had the opportunity save a handful of times.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    See, I didn't know any of this and was still wholly satisfied with the little amounts of dialogue. Long form serial shows can linger in things. TV audiences these days have no attention spans, it's kinda gross.

I do think the episode was short, I wonder if they split the pilot to air on Tues/Fri for the first week.

The Mandalorian (or Mando) is a highly skilled, determined and resourceful professional. He is ruthless to those who oppose him or attack him, no matter the reason, but is also shown to be compassionate and even caring. He is willing to make bargains and compromises to achieve his goal, but he also won't hesitate to betray an ally if that ally poses a potential problem in the future. He can also be rather humble, and isn't above thanking and showing gratitude towards those who help him in a time of need. He has an understandable aversion to droids of all kinds, but is willing to put even that aside to achieve his goals.

I'd say that is enough character for 2 Episodes. If you had paid attention I wouldn't have to spell it out like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay zoomer

I know it. I fucking KNOW it that by the end of the 1st season, the guy is gonna take his helmet off, and it's gonna be Brie Larson with a voice changer. And then Twitter will go "Ha! Take that, incels!".

How do I know it?
    1. Because "The Force is female" - Disney
    2. Because the guy never takes his helmet off, making it suspicious and highly probable that Disney wants to push a female character but knows that all people who aren't SJWs will just roll their eyes and likely ignore the show, so they're literally saving it for later when the viewers are already hooked, and anyone complaining about it then will be called a sexist, mysogynist, incel, racist, homophobic, white supremacist, Trump supporter, and afraid of strong women.

I'm not even gonna sub to Disney+ until I get evidence that it's not going to be a huge bait&switch on the fans, by Disney because "The force is female".

Did you know that Disney refused to pay for the making of an action movie with Dolph Lundgren and Sylvester Stalone because it was "toxic masculinity" and not focused on women?! https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...emale-focused/

Considering the above, do you honestly believe that the Mandalorian is really a man?!
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2019-11-18 at 10:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    I know it. I fucking KNOW it that by the end of the 1st season, the guy is gonna take his helmet off, and it's gonna be Brie Larson with a voice changer. And then Twitter will go "Ha! Take that, incels!".

How do I know it?
    2. Because the guy never takes his helmet off, making it suspicious and highly probable that Disney wants to push a female character but knows that all people who aren't SJWs will just roll their eyes and likely ignore the show, so they're literally saving it for later when the viewers are already hooked, and anyone complaining about it then will be called a sexist, mysogynist, incel, racist, homophobic, white supremacist, Trump supporter, and afraid of strong women.

I'm not even gonna sub to Disney+ until I get evidence that it's not going to be a huge bait&switch on the fans, by Disney because "The force is female".

Did you know that Disney refused to pay for the making of an action movie with Dolph Lundgren and Sylvester Stalone because it was "toxic masculinity" and not focused on women?! https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...emale-focused/

Considering the above, do you honestly believe that the Mandalorian is really a man?!
    Hilarious.

That was all sarcastic right? It is sometimes hard to tell through text alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Hilarious.

That was all sarcastic right? It is sometimes hard to tell through text alone.
    Since I can pretty much guarantee that Jehct believes none of what he said, those two posts are basically the
    Literally nobody:

Star Wars fans: RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE SJWs RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!
    meme personified.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-11-18 at 11:39 AM.

The main actor is an immigrant from South America and in episode 1 I saw plenty of non white people. Diversity is fine.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Anything by Kevin Anderson or after Vong arch

10+ Year Old Account

Again, one of the most basic fundamentals of "good writing" is "show, don't tell".

If you have to tell your audience that this character is honorable but lacks compassion, dogged but beaten down by society, trying to find their place in the galaxy while staying true to their adopted clan, that's dogshit-level writing. If you've got other characters saying that stuff, that's "telling", not showing.

Instead, we've already had the Mandalorian's personality displayed to us, as I just paraphrased it above. And we're only two episodes in. We're not done learning about the character, and you shouldn't expect to be done until the show is over. And by that, I don't mean this season, I mean they're done with the character completely.

The show is communicating these things. By showing you. Rather than telling you. Framing it like you did in actual text/dialogue is Twilight-fanfic-level writing.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the 2nd episode and so far I'm loving it. This week has been great so far for Star Wars fans. Mandalorian, Fallen Order, less than a month for Rise of Skywalker..

Man, I'm so happy

This would be derivative and bad storytelling. You shouldn't and couldn't know the character of a person in the first two episodes. Characters should be revealed through how they act, not through dumb expository dialogue saying, "Oh, well, you're a Mandolorian, you must have endured the trials of some such to make you a badass something or the other."

You're entire idea here breaks a fundamental story telling rule: "Show, don't tell".

We've learned a lot about The Mandalorian so far. He's ruthless but honorable. He cares about his clan and it is why he does bounty hunting work. He prefers legitimate bounties (Like catching bail jumpers) than doing underground work though he will take underground work.

As the show goes on we will learn more. The stories intention is for him to be mysterious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    As the show goes on we will learn more. The stories intention is for him to be mysterious.
    And seriously, the point of character-based storytelling like this is to learn about and explore that character. We should still be learning, or watching him grow and change as a person, right up to the show's final episodes. The idea that you should have a firm grasp on their entire personality and backstory at the end of S1E01 is monumentally silly.

Please add to the discussion, don't just drop a review link with nothing else with it.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-11-18 at 07:43 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post

How do I know it?

I never understood the whole pissed off nature of the Force being female ... we call our force of nature Mother Nature ... we call nature and life on Earth female ... therefor I don't get the point of being upset over it. So I hope this is sarcasm.

And the second point is silly. Boba Fett never removed his helmet in the OT. More evidence for sarcasm.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    As some one who only really likes Starwars for the force related stuff I was surprised that I liked the first two episodes so much.

Over all the Starwarsy stuff doesn’t really matter to me as most of it isn’t force related but as just standing on its own acting and display wise I’ve been super happy.

Also seeing jawa’s die brings me great joy.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    Just watched the 2nd episode and so far I'm loving it. This week has been great so far for Star Wars fans. Mandalorian, Fallen Order, less than a month for Rise of Skywalker..

Man, I'm so happy
    Prepare to be disappointed on that last part.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."