I got almost a Star Trek TNG or Babylon 5 vibe from it actually.

Yeah yeah, I know, you can make anything make "sense" with enough fanwank. Still just seems like the show was using heavy references to old material with little regard for whether it really fit. Hope they do less of that next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

They could be spacefaring on their own, or have spread across numerous planets through other means - slavery, for example. Could be someone used them as slaves in the past and shipped them around, and that their physiology simply made them suitable for desert-like planets which is why they're often found there.
    They do have the ability to travel via starts, at least to some comic.

But they do live somewhere else:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jawa

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Review: not a bad little show, unambitious and not anything ground-breaking but solid. Lots of things to like.
    Carbonite could have spread when Jabba had success with Han. He obviously liked to show it off and it likely spread from there. Innovation can happen and the show is set in times after the OT.

Jawas have been relocated, emigrated, and what else to several worlds. They are native though to tatooine as you suggested. The Prequels have "Jawa Juice" ordered in a restaurant. It is clear that Jawa's are known more then simply being a backwater planet would allow. It is unclear how much of their history has survived Disney however. So much of the known stuff may be "Legends" only.

Storm troopers do have good aim. Even in the movies much of their "bad aim" is just for the plot. You know so the end credits don't roll right away after they one hit kill everything. The also referenced the bad aim in the prison break episode. It is just a fun little thing. And I don't think everyone has to have good aim even more so when the empire has fallen and we have "back water" scout troops. There is a reason why off planet troops were brought in for the "real" battle.

As for the species of Yoda we do not know. George Lucas specifically kept it a mystery through out all of his ownership. It was one of the few things that was off limits and kept off limits. Even when they were allowed to kill off "main characters" in the Vong series. The child could be a genetic experiment. It could be a clone. It could be anything. Midichlorians are no more crazy then anything else in Star Wars and are cannon.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Review: not a bad little show, unambitious and not anything ground-breaking but solid. Lots of things to like.

Also full of lore niggles that drive me mad because I'm a huge nerd. Carbonite freezing was an industrial process Vader co-opted to trap Luke and tested on Han one time, but now apparently it's the default means of Mandalorians carrying prisoners.
    In Empire Darth Vader states that the facilities are crude but should suffice. Lando mentions its only been used on carbonite so they test in on Han. I would imagine that a better machine could be used on life forms. They also use the process in clone wars on Anakin, Obi-wan and a bunch of troopers.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    In Empire Darth Vader states that the facilities are crude but should suffice. Lando mentions its only been used on carbonite so they test in on Han. I would imagine that a better machine could be used on life forms. They also use the process in clone wars on Anakin, Obi-wan and a bunch of troopers.
    Also, added that Jabba was a well known gangster that had Han on his wall for about a year ... it was going to get out about his "favorite" decoration so carbonite freezing would become more popular.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I might've given it more of a pass if they'd at least tried to make it look like a different, more sophisticated version of carbon freezing, but no it's pretty much just like the one in Empire complete with the little read-out display.

It's there for nostalgia. We can invent headcanon to explain it sure, but I still mark it as a demerit.

I might've given it more of a pass if they'd at least tried to make it look like a different, more sophisticated version of carbon freezing, but no it's pretty much just like the one in Empire complete with the little read-out display.

It's there for nostalgia. We can invent headcanon to explain it sure, but I still mark it as a demerit.
    It’s not really head canon, the readout is exactly how it is in clone wars. It would be head canon to expect a different process.

15+ Year Old Account
    I might've given it more of a pass if they'd at least tried to make it look like a different, more sophisticated version of carbon freezing, but no it's pretty much just like the one in Empire complete with the little read-out display.It's there for nostalgia. We can invent headcanon to explain it sure, but I still mark it as a
    demerit.
    But why does something have to be different just for the sake of it. It is also a likely reason why he is such a prolific bounty hunter and why it is stated the other guild members don't like how he takes all of the best bounties. If you can freeze them than you can store a lot more living/dead targets. Also it is already a different and more sophisticated version because it is done with smaller equipment in a spaceship.

Your argument is like saying your doughnut should look different then one you had ten years ago. You are also ignoring that carbon freezing wasn't exactly a rare thing in the galaxy. It was used to transport goods. It is very possible the Razor Crest had a system installed that could be modified for freezing people instead of goods.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Surat_Nuat

There is also this guy. Who in one of the Disney-era novels had his brother frozen and used as a desk. It is clear that the criminals of the galaxy were using carbon-freezing for living things (even if they didn't care if they died). Sure there is a plot hole that Vader wanted to test out something canon later established he knew worked. But that can be explained by the specific equipment.

With all of the easter egg nostalgia in the series it is dumb to consider an actual plot device as simply nostalgia.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-01-09 at 05:02 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They did it that way because it's what it looks like in Legends, exactly like in Episode 5. They just canonized it as a regular method of freezing live bounties. And fan service, fan service is good.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

5+ Year Old Account
    Isn't boba fett an old dude in the Mandalorian time-line? Is he tracking down Din Djarin with a cane?

Or would he be about the age of the actor that played jango fett?
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-01-09 at 05:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Isn't boba fett an old dude in the Mandalorian time-line? Is he tracking down Din Djarin with a cane? Or would he be about the age of the actor that played jango fett?
    He was born 32 years Before the Battle of Yavin (bby). The show takes place 9 aby. So he would be 41. Boba fell into the sarlacc pit around 4 aby. Disney has yet to really do anything with Boba. The pre-disney Legends had him survive and claw his way out to become a Mandalorian leader complete with a family and stuff. Since they made all of that non-cannon though he is "Dead until otherwise".

I really wish Disney just made a "cinematic universe". Where they kept what parts they wanted for the movie instead of completely re-writing everything. They could have just done a complete time skip to jump in after the Vong invasion as well. Most main characters were alive and "replaced" by the next generation in the stories. So it could have worked and allowed them to do their own stuff. And all the EU stuff would have made for great shows like A wraith squad, Thrawn etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But why does something have to be different just for the sake of it.
    Because it's ridiculous that not only does this Mandalorian happen to use carbon freezing to transport prisoners just like in Empire, when that was something Vader came up with on the spot using cargo freezing equipment, but he even apparently has the same brand of carbon freezer as a gas mining operation on Bespin.

With all of the easter egg nostalgia in the series it is dumb to consider an actual plot device as simply nostalgia.
    It's not a plot device, it's a cute reveal in the first episode and is never referenced again. It's absolutely there for nostalgia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They did it that way because it's what it looks like in Legends, exactly like in Episode 5. They just canonized it as a regular method of freezing live bounties. And fan service, fan service is good.
    Legends was guilty of plenty of the same kind of silly reductive logic too.

7+ Year Old Account
    He was born 32 years Before the Battle of Yavin (bby). The show takes place 9 aby. So he would be 41. Boba fell into the sarlacc pit around 4 aby. Disney has yet to really do anything with Boba. The pre-disney Legends had him survive and claw his way out to become a Mandalorian leader complete with a family and stuff. Since they made all of that non-cannon though he is "Dead until otherwise"..

not hatting on boba, but this seems like a hell of asspull, claw his way out of the sand anus with teeth like that

he even apparently has the same brand of carbon freezer as a gas mining operation on Bespin.
    That's actually the least incredible thing about it. SW has always had megacorporations that produce equipment used apparently all throughout the galaxy. It's no stretch at all to think that the same company making the industrial freezer used in Bespin also produces smaller models such as the one on Mando's ship. They could well be the market leader for carbon freezers and sell to everyone and everywhere.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He did it in Legends, why not in the new canon?
    im saying it was an asspull in any place, to me seems as nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why? It’s not like the big toothed anus digests shit quickly. The only real hurdle is getting out. He had plenty of tools on him to do so.
    i mean, seems kinda impossible, he went right in the creature belly, still had teeth and mouth movements right? i imagined it had teeth all over it and would chomp him to the bone, he didn't seem to have much weapons at his disposal that are appropriate to climb either

Maybe im nitpicking but seems little out of place he surviving that, but if he actually bring something cool i don't mind, if he don't take the spotlight from mando.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    not hatting on boba, but this seems like a hell of asspull, claw his way out of the sand anus with teeth like that
    The dead sand anus that's known for taking an incredibly long time to eat its food.

"He thought maybe to tame the glorious monstrosity at the bottom of the Great Pit of Carkoon (and, failing that, to throw himself into its maw), but the mighty Sarlacc was injured. Burning wreckage from the sail barge had rained upon it. Already its body— considerably more massive than the mouth exposed from the sliding sands— had been partially unburied, its stoma-tubes slit open, its digesting innards pillaged by industrious Jawas. They pulled out weapons and armor, droids and tools. And skeletons, of course.

The creature of Carkoon had a pure purpose, to wait and to eat, and now it was left to thrash and wail in the grip of pillagers." - Star Wars: Aftermath: Life Debt

He wouldn't even need to climb out.
    Last edited by Aurrora; 2020-01-10 at 11:44 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    The dead sand anus that's known for taking an incredibly long time to eat its food.
    i thing it make sense to take time to digest, but i thought the teeth would mutilate him a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i thing it make sense to take time to digest, but i thought the teeth would mutilate him a bit
    The teeth aren't really used for mastication, at least not at the point in a Sarlacc's life when it waits for food to come to it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post

"He thought maybe to tame the glorious monstrosity at the bottom of the Great Pit of Carkoon (and, failing that, to throw himself into its maw), but the mighty Sarlacc was injured. Burning wreckage from the sail barge had rained upon it. Already its body— considerably more massive than the mouth exposed from the sliding sands— had been partially unburied, its stoma-tubes slit open, its digesting innards pillaged by industrious Jawas. They pulled out weapons and armor, droids and tools. And skeletons, of course.

The creature of Carkoon had a pure purpose, to wait and to eat, and now it was left to thrash and wail in the grip of pillagers." - Star Wars: Aftermath: Life Debt

He wouldn't even need to climb out.
    But could he breathe that long in that butthole??