7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    just scrolled through all the spoiler text to ask if it's worth sitting through the cartoons to get to this series
    That depends on your point of view. I would personally say start with Clone Wars and watch ALL THE SEASONS FIRST and then watch Rebels.

It is not needed to enjoy the Mandalorian, but there is a lot of background that is interesting and I personally feel is worth it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    just scrolled through all the spoiler text to ask if it's worth sitting through the cartoons to get to this series
    Yeah it is. I mean if you got nothing else to do (since most of new shows end in few days anyway), its a good way to get back to it.
    Also comedy there is gold:
    (fan version btw -- original is 3d)

It gives you a general idea how peacefull mandalorians were in clone wars and what happened in Rebels series after with it.

Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    It was fine, I enjoyed it. But such overreaction on IMDB. A 9,9 for the last episode?? I guess people were craving for something decent in the Star Wars universe.
    People are definitely craving decent Star Wars. The lowest rated episode this season was "The Passenger" with a 7.9. The 2nd highest episode was "The Jedi" with a 9.5 rating. The season finale was the best of the season by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That depends on your point of view. I would personally say start with Clone Wars and watch ALL THE SEASONS FIRST and then watch Rebels.

It is not needed to enjoy the Mandalorian, but there is a lot of background that is interesting and I personally feel is worth it.
    are the CW and Rebels better than the sequel trilogy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Timeline is kinda like this:

Episode I – The Phantom Menace --) Episode II – Attack of the Clones ---) The Clone Wars (animated) ---) Episode III – Revenge of the Sith ---) Star Wars Rebels (animated) ---) Rogue One (special movie) ---)Episode IV – A New Hope --) Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back --) Episode VI – Return of the Jedi --) The Mandalorian ---) garbage

5+ Year Old Account
    Boba is a separate show, not mandalorian season 3

Jon Favreau talks about the season 2 finale of ‘The Mandalorian’ l GMA

Good Morning America
    Dec 21, 2020

The creator of the hit Disney+ show talks about the surprise scene after the credits of the show and what it means.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-12-21 at 10:51 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    That is a personal opinion, both Clone Wars and Rebels have a slow start and the "movie" for The Clone Wars is not great as it is literally just like 3 episodes slapped together to be a movie. I enjoyed Clone Wars and Rebels more than the sequel trilogy, but I know people who consider Clone Wars and Rebels too kiddy.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That is a personal opinion, both Clone Wars and Rebels have a slow start and the "movie" for The Clone Wars is not great as it is literally just like 3 episodes slapped together to be a movie. I enjoyed Clone Wars and Rebels more than the sequel trilogy, but I know people who consider Clone Wars and Rebels too kiddy.
    I'm wondering if it's seen as divisive to connect the cartoons so much as interconnected canon to the movies if you're not too thrilled with animated features. It started for me when I was confused as hell why Darth Maul was in the credits for Solo. A moviegoer would only remember the guy got cut in half and died.

In contrast to some people here saying it's merely suggested to fully watch the cartoons before Mandalorian, I have been told by others it's really not optional. Characters like Ahsoka Tano appear with no context and apparently a late series villain from Rebels is hinted at for a big late Mandalorian series plot thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Boy, I go on vacation for a week and y'all spend it arguing about asinine bullshit. I feel like I've been saying this for 5 years at this point, but people need to chill the fuck out about Star Wars, and not take it so goddamn seriously.

Loved the last two episodes. Last one is freshest on my mind, so a few comments:

1) Wish Boba and Luke coulda met, and see how that interaction worked out. It's weird to me that this is 5 years post RotJ so Luke looks pretty much the same and Boba is a fat slob (after dying at the beginning of RotJ). I guess 5 years is enough to age you 30 years after going through the stomach of a Sarlacc, but whatever. I feel like Boba peacing out was specifically to avoid this problem, since the woman bound to his service stayed for the assault and he seemingly abandoned her. And yet his spinoff is supposed to feature her as his sidekick.
    I think you've got the timeline a bit borked.

We don't see Boba's face in the OT. We see it in the prequels, and those are set like 20 years prior or whatever. That's where the time jump is; between prequels and the OT, and then a smaller jump to the Mandalorian setting.

Wookiepedia has Boba's date of birth in 32 BBY, The Mandalorian is in 9 ABY, so that's 41 years. It's a hard 41, I guess (Morrison's 59), but Boba's no spring chicken, either.

3) Why the Dark Trooper didn't just remove Mando's helmet once it realized it was just not doing anything to him is beyond me. Regardless, Din should have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I know, it's fiction. This is nitpicky.
    There's pretty heavy implications that Mando armor isn't just Beskar; we can see the circuitry inside it at some points. The general assumption is there's some degree of inertial dampening at play, which is why they can take explosions and impacts without turning into goo inside the armor shell.

4) More of a major problem I have: this series is......the definition of fanservice. As such, it has no consequences. Literally no one of importance died in this season (or last, now that I think about it). The heroes just roflstomped through everything. To me, a team of 6 storming a light cruiser should have casualties of some sort, even if it's a "fraction [of the hundreds normally required to man such a ship]." This may be seen as a grimdark opinion and not "in line" with "what Star Wars is about," but frankly, after years of others bitching about what "Star Wars is about" and how Disney ruined it while I enjoyed the sequel trilogy (didn't see Rise of Skywalker, admittedly), I'm starting to realize what Star Wars is not what it should remain about. It's too goddamn meh for that.
    They went with a more "Lone Wolf and Cub" kind of vibe here, obviously, and the only character deaths that could "matter" in that are the lead and the kid. And the latter's a giant bummer, the former would just fall into the "I got you . . . where you needed . . . to go" bullshit ending that Hollywood's wanked themselves over for decades. I prefer what they did. Particularly as the central development for Din was going from "not giving a shit about anything" to "giving a shit about this one thing, and maybe a couple more". Death just cuts that development short when it's getting interesting, and brings him back to where he started, really.

Also, it's partly that Mandalorians really are this insanely kickass. This is just the first big live-action chance we get to see that. They're not on the scale of Jedi, but if we're clear, Jedi are canonically on the scale of an army unto themselves. If your enemy has an army, and you have one Jedi, that's about an equal fight. Mandalorians, a squad of 4-10 is competitive with a company of 100-200 "regular" soldiers. They can even, sometimes, take out Jedi.

Edit: As for the Bo thing, this is another stupid bullshit argument y'all are having because you take this stuff way too seriously. What Gideon says (and thus, what the writers are saying) is that Bo needs to win it in a battle against the usurper who took it, to be taken seriously. She needs the narrative to back up the ownership of the Darksaber. Maybe there are other ways in the past where she could have accepted it and be validated. But right now, she has to right a wrong, and "redeem" the story, in her people's eyes.

Right now, the story is that Din beat Gideon, and redeemed Mandalore. If he just hands it to her then, it plants seeds of doubt in her people's minds: "Why shouldn't the one who was stronger, who won the Darksaber back when she lost it, be the ruler?" Etc, etc, etc.

It's literally an analogy about storytelling and paying off power gains. I thought it was a cheeky little nod at Rey, tbh, just stumbling across Luke's lightsaber in a trunk in a basement.
    What people are, I think, missing about the bit with Bo-Katan and the Darksaber is that, as Gideon said, it's about story. And he's the one who gets to write this chapter. He made it about her honor; she had to take it back through victory. If she accepts it any other way, she loses her honor. Both in her own eyes, and any Mandalorian who knows the truth. Din didn't know the narrative or what it meant, which is why he offers it to her, but realizing this is why he accepts her refusal so easily. Once Gideon said she can't just accept a trite yielding, she can't; he's written that into the story, now, regardless of what it was before. It's his last bit of revenge.

What Bo-Katan needs, more than anything else, is to demonstrate that she has earned the Darksaber. Maybe because of how she lost it. Maybe because Sabine's quest was honorable enough to meet what she thought was the minimum. Just taking it when Din holds it out won't work. She knows that, everyone in her squad knows that, and her squad are the ones who'll have to back her when she makes her claim. They won't dishonor themselves lying for her.

That all said, I don't think it's the narrative problem they're playing it out to be. Din could set the Darksaber up as a prize; they compete to capture a certain bounty or beast, first to bring the trophy/bounty back wins, with full hostilities between competitors allowed. Or just a straight up duel, not to submission, but not necessarily to death, either. A public enough duel that it's clear Din's actually doing his best to win, and Bo-Katan is simply better. She doesn't have to kill Din to earn the Darksaber. I mean, that'd work, I just don't see that it's the only option.

Of course, if I'm writing that story, the Darksaber's getting stolen by a third party while they're busy with each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best episodes are some of the best Star Wars content produced.

Clone Wars in particular has a rough start IMO; the first 3-4 seasons are a real slog, and are more properly in line with the prequel trilogy in terms of quality. There's some fantastic stuff in the later seasons, though. Pretty much everything with Maul, in either show, is A+ stuff. Rebels is more consistently enjoyable and pushes some fresh boundaries, but I wouldn't say it hits better highs, just never dips as low.

Ahsoka's arc through Clone Wars will pretty completely explain why she's not going to train Grogu. If you don't know that backstory, her decision in The Mandalorian is gonna feel pretty random, I think, but it's entirely appropriate if you do. Dawson also pulled some mannerisms straight out of the cartoon in a way that was not forced and entirely natural and that, frankly, was something I'm not sure I've seen anyone ever pull off before.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I think you've got the timeline a bit borked. We don't see Boba's face in the OT. We see it in the prequels, and those are set like 20 years prior or whatever. That's where the time jump is; between prequels and the OT, and then a smaller jump to the Mandalorian setting. Wookiepedia has Boba's date of birth in 32 BBY, The Mandalorian is in 9 ABY, so that's 41 years. It's a hard 41, I guess (Morrison's 59), but Boba's no spring chicken, either.
    The profile of Boba Fett from ROTJ is different then from Mandalorian. One is skinny and one is more solid of a build. While the actor clearly fits based on the whole clone aspect he does seem to have put on some more bulk/weight compared to even Jengo and the previous appearances of Boba which wasn't that long ago was also less bulky. And while it is possible to bulk up in a few year it is slightly off.

But I think the clear benefit of having the clone aspect out weights it. But it might be a technical detail some dock points for.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You seem confused about why Luke would recognize Boba... most Mandalorian armor is pretty unique. His included. Plus, the force.
    Was at least one Mando that looked like boba in the covenant, green n red armor.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering if it's seen as divisive to connect the cartoons so much as interconnected canon to the movies if you're not too thrilled with animated features. It started for me when I was confused as hell why Darth Maul was in the credits for Solo. A moviegoer would only remember the guy got cut in half and died.

In contrast to some people here saying it's merely suggested to fully watch the cartoons before Mandalorian, I have been told by others it's really not optional. Characters like Ahsoka Tano appear with no context and apparently a late series villain from Rebels is hinted at for a big late Mandalorian series plot thread.
    I personally feel people can enjoy the Mandalorian without seeing anything else of Star Wars. I feel the series is that good portraying the important history to understand the story.

Disney wants to build a single Star Wars canon across all levels. So it is going to be interconnected with some not connected no canon fun stuff (like the Lego stuff).
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem confused about why Luke would recognize Boba... most Mandalorian armor is pretty unique. His included. Plus, the force.
    I didn't say anything about Luke recognizing him?

Just that I didn't think Temuera Morrison was too old to reprise the role, and letting him reprise it was better, to me, than recasting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's easier to sit through Rebels than Clone Wars but good parts of Clone Wars are better than Rebels.

Disney has an "essentials" playlist of CW episodes, there's also one floating around online. That would help you wade through some of the rough parts of that series.

The main parts of Rebels that are relevant are all YouTube for free via Disney's cartoon channel. Most of the parts related to The Mandalorian are there. Might be region locked.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...skqkVu0igzwnt9

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Timeline is kinda like this:

Episode I – The Phantom Menace --) Episode II – Attack of the Clones ---) The Clone Wars (animated) ---) Episode III – Revenge of the Sith ---) Star Wars Rebels (animated) ---) Rogue One (special movie) ---)Episode IV – A New Hope --) Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back --) Episode VI – Return of the Jedi --) The Mandalorian ---) garbage
    Everyone forgets Solo.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, my mistake. I guess this was a pointless statement that had nothing to do with what you were responding to.
    Eschatological was talking about the aging-up of Boba that resulted from having Temuera Morrison play the role. That's what I responded to. Not sure where the confusion's coming from.

Edit: I was responding to this bit in particular;
    It's weird to me that this is 5 years post RotJ so Luke looks pretty much the same and Boba is a fat slob (after dying at the beginning of RotJ). I guess 5 years is enough to age you 30 years after going through the stomach of a Sarlacc, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Everyone forgets Solo.
    And that is perfectly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The profile of Boba Fett from ROTJ is different then from Mandalorian. One is skinny and one is more solid of a build. While the actor clearly fits based on the whole clone aspect he does seem to have put on some more bulk/weight compared to even Jengo and the previous appearances of Boba which wasn't that long ago was also less bulky. And while it is possible to bulk up in a few year it is slightly off.

But I think the clear benefit of having the clone aspect out weights it. But it might be a technical detail some dock points for.
    Maybe being a twice genetically modified clone does something to body. Maybe it's sand. Obi looked like he aged way more than 20 years. Then again Yoda aged the most and he was 900 years old. Even if he was near the end of his life 20 years should not have advanced him far as it did. And unmasked Vader looked well he was as old as Obi, burn victim or not.

Simply answer is that the OT is ancient, used ancient tropes, and wasn't designed to be turned into a multi-generation spanning megaverse. Sort of the dilemma they face with using the deaging/deep fake tech versus just recasting the roles when doing stuff set in the OT era.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The best episodes are some of the best Star Wars content produced.

Clone Wars in particular has a rough start IMO; the first 3-4 seasons are a real slog, and are more properly in line with the prequel trilogy in terms of quality. There's some fantastic stuff in the later seasons, though. Pretty much everything with Maul, in either show, is A+ stuff. Rebels is more consistently enjoyable and pushes some fresh boundaries, but I wouldn't say it hits better highs, just never dips as low.

Ahsoka's arc through Clone Wars will pretty completely explain why she's not going to train Grogu. If you don't know that backstory, her decision in The Mandalorian is gonna feel pretty random, I think, but it's entirely appropriate if you do. Dawson also pulled some mannerisms straight out of the cartoon in a way that was not forced and entirely natural and that, frankly, was something I'm not sure I've seen anyone ever pull off before.
    Have you finished Rebels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Have you finished Rebels?
    Yarp, finished it about a month back. I know Ahsoka's got a bunch of stuff in there too, but I think it's more "fleshing out" than "necessary to understand her choice at the end of her Mandalorian episode". IMO, at least.