15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Mandalorian wasn't even that good, it was average at best and that was light years better than the hot garbage that has been released lately.
    Why is it a problem she was fired if everything about her character, the show it appeared on, and modern star wars sucks? That is the problem with blanket hate. It makes poor arguments.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

First off, allow me to pretense this post by saying that I consider myself Liberal and often times disagree with Conservatives a great deal on issues of politics and the direction of the country. With that said, I condemn the act of dragging Conservatives like Gina out of her home, beating her, sexually assaulting her, rounding up her and her entire family and herding them along side their fellow conservatives into the gas chambers where they were then murdered. Executing people for their opinions is an atrocity. And by gassing Gina, I feel Disney has inadvertently proven her point. I will never stop fighting for the day in which the worst thing that a company can do to conservatives is to simply terminate their employment with said company which is their right as a right to work place of business.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2021-02-12 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post

What scares me most is how quickly, vindictively and earnestly those on social media call for heads to roll.

I'd say this for many reasons but gee i'm glad I dont live in America. That country looks shitter by the day.
    What shocks me is how everyday people keep letting this happening and fuelling it. they sit down and let themselves get censored, and herded, and they're still on twitter and reddit, instead of boycotting all these jokers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    First off, allow me to pretense this post by saying that I consider myself Liberal and often times disagree with Conservatives a great deal on issues of politics and the direction of the country. With that said, I condemn the act of dragging Conservatives like Gina out of her home, beating her, sexually assaulting her, rounding up her and her entire family and herding them along side their fellow conservatives into the gas chambers where they were then murdered. Executing people for their opinions is an atrocity. And by gassing Gina, I feel Disney has inadvertently proven her point. I will never stop fighting for the day in which the worst thing that a company can do to conservatives is to simply terminate their employment with said company which is their right as a right to work place of business.
    Oh how easily it can get worse than that, what do you think comes after cancelling their jobs? All of this is not driven by anything good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    And by gassing Gina, I feel Disney has inadvertently proven her point.
    Disney has the right to terminate any of their employees for any reason that is not protected under federal law or by contract. All but one state has at will employment if I remember correctly. Your rape fantasy and other hyperbole doesn't change the fact that actions have consequences. Intolerance and other extreme views do not have to be tolerated simply because you might have your feelings hurt.

There is a reason why the phrase "They said the quiet parts out loud" exists.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

This thread was warned 3 times in the past 6 pages. Discussing the merits of Carano's firing is off-topic for this subforum. If you wish to discuss "cancel culture" take that nonsense to GenOT. It is considered derailing and a forbidden topic for this subforum. Infractions have been issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that an actor who reads a script for a character who never takes their helmet off--and knows this going in as it's a huge part of the character--would suddenly complain about not getting "face time". Especially since he's been getting accolades since the first episode aired and has starred in other big-budget projects alongside this series. It doesn't add up.
    When the other Mandalorians kept their faces hidden too it was fine. When Bo Katan/Katee Sackhoff and Boba Fett/Temuera Morrison did not ... things got heated. According to the rumours, and there were quite a few of them, he felt cheated because he was the only one NOT allowed to show his face.
    By now things have been sorted out and Pascal seems content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    When the other Mandalorians kept their faces hidden too it was fine. When Bo Katan/Katee Sackhoff and Boba Fett/Temuera Morrison did not ... things got heated. According to the rumours, and there were quite a few of them, he felt cheated because he was the only one NOT allowed to show his face.
    By now things have been sorted out and Pascal seems content.
    Pascal has denied those rumours.

https://www.cbr.com/the-mandalorian-...nflict-rumors/
    During the interview, Pascal responded to a fan question asking if it was true that he no longer wanted to wear his helmet in future episodes of The Mandalorian. "That is not true, actually," the actor said. "It's a really wonderful way of telling the story. It's always been a very clear creed for the character, and the collaborative process of the whole thing has been, we've all been on the same page with this, I think. So I, you know, what I want is for them to make the best show possible, however they get that done."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Oh wow look at that, youtubers are not valid sources for information after all. Im stunned.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its not like he can lie about it you know, he may dislike it but just say otherwise to not get fired too.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Its not like he can lie about it you know, he may dislike it but just say otherwise to not get fired too.
    Sure, he could be lying. I generally don't assume people are lying when I don't have a reason to though.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, it's always been a weird story, because the reason Pascal has been getting a lot of praise for this role is how well he's been able to evoke emotions and personality almost entirely through body language alone. Din's voice is pretty monotone, and we get no facial expressions, so body language . . . is it. And yet, we still know exactly who Din is as a person and can read him like a book, without any real uncertainty as to what's going on with him.

That's an achievement for an actor. It's one of the reasons I'm a massive fan of Doug Jones, AKA the guy who's played basically every single emotive monster in massive makeup and prosthetics that you could mention; Abe Sapien from Hellboy, the Creature from Shape of Water, Saru on ST: Discovery, the Faun in Pan's Labyrinth, etc.

That's something I'd imagine Pascal and his agent would crow about, not a negative.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Yes, he could. But, that would be your burden to show.

Given the only direct evidence we have implies the contrary, believing he is lying doesn't make much sense.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, he could be lying. I generally don't assume people are lying when I don't have a reason to though.
    Personally I think the reports were accurate if maybe overblown and he is using PR speak for that statement. I do think there was some conflict between recognition for role and what people saw. Didn't reports also say that stunt double was suited up for a few scenes as well because no one could tell? The helmet less scenes do seem a little forced and I am sure there was some disagreement over direction when the other mandalorians were introduced.

But there is no proof of it. So it is all guessing and feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Frankly, it's always been a weird story, because the reason Pascal has been getting a lot of praise for this role is how well he's been able to evoke emotions and personality almost entirely through body language alone.
    Isn't a lot of that done by a double?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Isn't a lot of that done by a double?
    I'd imagine most of the quiet emotive stuff is done by Pascal, otherwise, why's he there? Just for the couple helmet-off scenes?

The big fight scenes with stunts, sure, not Pascal, but that's not the subtle body language acting I was talking about, either. That's knowing how to get yanked across a room by a wire and land without breaking your ankles. Still a really big skill and I'm not crapping on it, just a completely different skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Certain action scenes, which require a stunt double.

You should watch Gallery Star Wars: The Mandalorian on Disney+. They have an episode about him, and it talks about what Endus mentioned.
    Yeah but there’s work and then there’s work.

Some of Mando is definitely a double. In some ways it’s probably cheaper and more efficient that way. Furthermore, it’s just a costume.

Then I look at what Paul Bettany’s doing in WandaVision. Bettany is in a role that requires his actual face but it also requires a lot of time applying make up and even more time removing it after. Six days a week during filming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s actually not that long putting it on, taking it off takes over an hour, but he sits in a sauna drinking wine before they do that.
    It used to take over three hours to put on. It takes less now but it’s still time consuming. Point is that Bettany has to do more work than Pascal does for their parts. It does free Pascal up a lot more to take on additional work if he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    It used to take over three hours to put on. It takes less now but it’s still time consuming. Point is that Bettany has to do more work than Pascal does for their parts. It does free Pascal up a lot more to take on additional work if he wants.
    More prep time before shooting. But he can still emote with his face just fine, and has a much more dialogue-heavy part, whereas Pascal has to carry off the same emotive component essentially through body language alone.

Bettany's a fantastic actor and I'm sure he could give it a really good shot, but you're comparing two entirely different things, here.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Personally I think the reports were accurate if maybe overblown and he is using PR speak for that statement. I do think there was some conflict between recognition for role and what people saw. Didn't reports also say that stunt double was suited up for a few scenes as well because no one could tell? The helmet less scenes do seem a little forced and I am sure there was some disagreement over direction when the other mandalorians were introduced.

But there is no proof of it. So it is all guessing and feelings.
    I think he's probably said something along the lines of "Man, it's tough working through a helmet" and people have taken that to mean he was unhappy. But every actor in his situation has those kinds of comments. It is tough working through a helmet or mask. And it's probably unpleasant to be wearing all the time. But I also think he enjoys the challenge.

As far as recognition goes...he's gotten more recognition simply because he is doing such a good job performing in a role where the audience hardly sees his face.

And yeah, his stunt double can do a lot of the heavy action scenes without them having to do tricky camera angles to hide the fact that it's a stunt man in the scene...but that happens in any role where the actor is in a costume that conceals or obscures their face.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yes, he could. But, that would be your burden to show.
    im not affirming anything, just saying it is a possibility, i don't know him i don't believe 100% in everything other people say, specially public people