Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    even on paper rpgs, gear and loot was a thing.
    Exactly, as were progression of power.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    when you think a 320 is the same power level as a 370 then theres somethin really wrong with you
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    eh not really i can rollplay as depressive person for example that dwindles into despair. Again dont get me wrong most video game have the aspect you mention, it was just about the definition of rpg as a whole
    Well, then you are roleplaying, and not really adding into the game part. It being a game means you are to progress in a way or another. If you weren't participating as part of the game, it would just be roleplay.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No it also a part of game like call of chutulu, which can be (and actually should be) won with anything you mentioned. Yes there need to be progress, but your initial post suggestedThe winning condition of an rpg is not auto connected to the points of you mentioned, as in self improvement or even looting.

To be more ontopic this is, at least i assume because i dont feel the same, similiar to the reason why people are opposed to pruning in wow since the begining of this game. Because the useless ability that "clogs up" the spellbook enhanced their fun while not progressing their character i.A. not being usefull in pvep or pvp

From the same page:

RPG

A game in which players take on the roles of imaginary characters who engage in adventures, typically in a particular fantasy setting overseen by a referee.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...e-playing_game

you are not a very smart person, are you?
    You posted an exception to the meta definition of role playing games and are trying to argue that your outlier defines the genre.

I can ask you the same damn thing.

No i gave an example what a role play can be, the definition was in other post. Then you seem to be bothered by it and tryed to be a smart ass and then i posted the literal definition of the same dicitionary you used which just confirms my point even more. Not gonna bother with this anymore tbh.
    do you understand what a metagame is?
    clearly you don't.

you gave an example of what roleplay can be, but not what the meta definition is.

Thx tho

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Mythic+ (usually do 10s or higher with my friends on all our various characters to get the weekly chest since I only use 1 Uldir trait for RA, other pieces are high mythic+ azerite)
    finish WQs faster (when I care to do them for an emissary or something)
    PvP (although I have a different set of azerite for that with traits I like better for PvP)

There are definitely problems with the game, but gear not making you stronger is not one of them. (unless you don't do anything other than LFR and WQ, which at that point why do you need to be stronger anyway?) If anything, the problem with azerite is it's gated behind too much time and rng to get pieces that work well for your class, even though you are putting in the time and effort to complete the content which rewards them.
    how did u get high mythic + azerite? afaik it only has a small chance to be in the weekly chest? I have never seen a single azerite piece drop outside of raids or normal mythic instances.

Gosh, literally 5 mins ago I read a whine thread how supposedly vanilla had smaller gap between "haves" and "have nots" and how these mean heroic raiders in their 370 have too big power gap over poor wq folk.

Now I'm reading a thread how all this shit is meaningless, apparently.

Can't figure out what people want. Every thread that claims "vanilla was better, because..." presents contradictory arguments, but all of them somehow confirmed by vanilla to modern wow difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    It matters but it doesn't feel special anymore. I literally don't even know the name of the weapon I'm currently using or any of my gear other than trinkets when I can still remember virtually every powerful weapon that dropped for my spec from Wrath, it all just feels like combinations of numbers now rather than anything unique.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Where is my free mythic Uldir set?
    They don't have raid item sets now, so you could technically get an equivalent to Mythic Uldir set through world quests titanforging.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamual View Post
    They don't have raid item sets now, so you could technically get an equivalent to Mythic Uldir set through world quests titanforging.
    Azerite can't upgrade, weapons are capped at +10.

Deleted
    The two things that have made gear feel less important are transmog and visible item level. Warforging and all of the various random chests and drops (Mythic+ chest etc.) make it even worse.

I used to actively seek out pieces of item based on the stats I wanted and the content I was running. When that special piece dropped it was immediately visible on my character. Now I just run everything and wait for ilvl upgrades to drop. I haven't targeted a single piece of gear since I came back to WoW at the end of MoP, and I couldn't tell you what my current sword and shield are called, or even what they look like as they are transmogged to more impressive looks from previous expansions.

I'm 99% certain that many of the complaints people have about current gearing would vanish if ilvl was made invisible to players (and unavailable through addons) and people looked at the actual stats of the items again. ilvl is the least RP stat ever given to players, but it is now pretty much the only consideration in gearing, and presented front and centre on the item information.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamual View Post
    The two things that have made gear feel less important are transmog and visible item level. Warforging and all of the various random chests and drops (Mythic+ chest etc.) make it even worse.

I used to actively seek out pieces of item based on the stats I wanted and the content I was running. When that special piece dropped it was immediately visible on my character. Now I just run everything and wait for ilvl upgrades to drop. I haven't targeted a single piece of gear since I came back to WoW at the end of MoP, and I couldn't tell you what my current sword and shield are called, or even what they look like as they are transmogged to more impressive looks from previous expansions.

I'm 99% certain that many of the complaints people have about current gearing would vanish if ilvl was made invisible to players (and unavailable through addons) and people looked at the actual stats of the items again. ilvl is the least RP stat ever given to players, but it is now pretty much the only consideration in gearing, and presented front and centre on the item information.
    itemlevel always existed
    weapon damage/speed has been normalized since wotlk
    people do look at the secondaries on their weapons, but noone (smart) should pass up an itemlevel (weapon damage) upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    no. it matters.
    yes, even in BGs.

in a way hes kinda right. Right now even if you managed to hack your way into a full set of ilvl 400 gear no sane person is going to take a Shadow Priest or Elemental Shaman or MM Hunter or Fire Mage to a raid or high level mythic group. So basically gear doesnt matter because no matter how high your ilvl is those specs are dumpster shit so all the gear in the world isnt going to make them viable.

Guys, killing stuff at 330 is totally the same as 380.

I bet OP runs 330 heroic Uldir pugs because why ask for 360+? gear doesn't matter in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    in a way hes kinda right. Right now even if you managed to hack your way into a full set of ilvl 400 gear no sane person is going to take a Shadow Priest or Elemental Shaman or MM Hunter or Fire Mage to a raid or high level mythic group. So basically gear doesnt matter because no matter how high your ilvl is those specs are dumpster shit so all the gear in the world isnt going to make them viable.
    So i guess the thousands of parses for all of those specs in mythic Uldir aren't real?

Stacking the best specs of every class has always been a thing, and the gaps really are lower in Legion and BfA than they've ever been.

Or do you think guilds were stacking frost mages and sub rogues in Wrath for raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumsgone View Post
    It absolutely still matters. Your view of the game is your own and I respect that, but it is dated and nostalgiac for the sake of being nostalgiac.

Just because it isn't the same as you remember doesn't mean it's suddenly this horrible awful thing. I and many people like me have been playing the game for 12+ years and frankly don't have the time or energy in my life to dedicate to the game how it was in the "goold old days".
    I like things now, they fit perfectly with my busy life.

I would raid 3 times a week for about 3 hours to get the best loot in the game back in the days (obviously I would play more on weekends), no M+ or PvP.

Now if I want to raid I have to grind M+ or Arenas to be ready for Mythic raiding content or personally feel comfortable doing it, how it that "fit perfectly with my busy life", can you elaborate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rohoz View Post
    even on paper rpgs, gear and loot was a thing.
    But not the only thing. Player progression was defined in many, many ways and not primarily around what you're wearing.

That's my primary issue with WoW. The pursuit of gear at all costs, past the point where you actually need said gear to successfully bring down objectives. That said, this entire thread is based on false premises.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumsgone View Post
    It absolutely still matters. Your view of the game is your own and I respect that, but it is dated and nostalgiac for the sake of being nostalgiac.

Just because it isn't the same as you remember doesn't mean it's suddenly this horrible awful thing. I and many people like me have been playing the game for 12+ years and frankly don't have the time or energy in my life to dedicate to the game how it was in the "goold old days".
    I like things now, they fit perfectly with my busy life.
    Just because it doesn't fit your lifestyle, doesn't mean that the game should cater to you when it's actively harming what's supposed to be a MMORPG.
    I may not have much time over for WoW either but I'd MUCH rather take some extra time and effort to progress my character instead of logging in for an hour, two times a week for raids and then not having anything else to do.