Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unholy Questions

Currently spec'd to Frost, i mostly only run Mythic +.
    I was thinking of switching to Unholy, I used to be Unholy leveling to 120 and i had a lot of fun playing it. I however haven't played Unholy in Mythic + nor have i seen one Unholy DK aside of people leveling as it. How does it perform in Mythic + Keys? I see they gave unholy a little buff, is Unholy ST damage awful or should i stick to the frost dk life. Thanks.

Unholy is pretty good in M+. Frost still does better single target dmg, but unholy(mostly when AotD is up) does solid single target for boss fights. Many fights have cleave mechanics which helps. Unholy is great for trash pulls throughout a dungeon though. Admittedly its hard to find groups for higher keys because we do not bring a group buff, are a liability(melee range) and do not have amazing utility. Yes the stun and interrupt are nice but it doesnt compete with a spammable like say DH cage or poly. But Unholy is solid for M+.

Frost ST is also awfull its just that Breath uptime makes up for it with a lower cd than AOTD.
    Last edited by Kendros; 2018-10-09 at 05:27 PM.

Frost's strength definitely comes from their BoS usage. Unholy ST is not AWFUL awful, but it may not be as consistent as a Rogue or Demon Hunter's ST.

Deleted
    Unholy is pretty average to poor in raids but in terms of ST it easily sims the lowest in the game right now. Someone's got to be bottom though i guess.

frost is the easy flavor of the month spec, but unholy performs very weill in mythic +. just look at the dk from method nnogga, he was running mythics on his dk as unholy today on his stream. i've had really good luck with it as well.

Unless you're looking to parses good for MDI, all class can perform perfectly fine when handled by competent players that know their classes. Sure, we may not have a mass stun like a dh for example, but we can do pretty crazy damage in AoE at any given time. And AoE is pretty much very important for m+.

Also 15s ranged interrupt is a godsend.

Either way, I'd rather have a competent player than a freshly geared rogue or DH.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unholy might be #1 AOE after the Helchains trait is added. It does eye melting damage. As Unholy should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Unless you're looking to parses good for MDI, all class can perform perfectly fine when handled by competent players that know their classes. Sure, we may not have a mass stun like a dh for example, but we can do pretty crazy damage in AoE at any given time. And AoE is pretty much very important for m+.
    MDI showcased an UH DK doing incredible damage, but not every group is capable of handling the huge pulls they were doing

Quote Originally Posted by boz0 View Post
    MDI showcased an UH DK doing incredible damage, but not every group is capable of handling the huge pulls they were doing
    Can't say I'm surprised, but still, didn't expect that DK doing that MUCH damage... I mean 400kdps ? Jesus. Gotta give props to that tank + healer to be able to live through that big pull...

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised, but still, didn't expect that DK doing that MUCH damage... I mean 400kdps ? Jesus. Gotta give props to that tank + healer to be able to live through that big pull...
    Unholy does godly AoE damage when specced into epidemic and a decent amount of mastery. ST damage outside of AotD windows is a little low, so picking up army of the damned talent over unholy frenzy is a good choice to ensure you have army up for every boss.

The main problem is the lack of survivability and immunities

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Same goes for frost though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Unholy does godly AoE damage when specced into epidemic and a decent amount of mastery. ST damage outside of AotD windows is a little low, so picking up army of the damned talent over unholy frenzy is a good choice to ensure you have army up for every boss.

Problem is what Unholy does, Frost does better,easier and most often... i would say the only fight i would consider going unholy on (bare in mind ive ALWAYS played unholy) would be Zul, but even then i might consider playing frost for simplicity...

I would like to see haste effect our dots again and the removal of festering wounds (combo points) and more focus on our dot play, or even a range of undead pets to use for different purposes etc...

The thing that annoys me more then anything with the unholy dk is the ammount of potential of the spec (uncluding frost) in insane but its just been kicked to the curb time and time again... i know people will say the stupid comment "someone has to be at the bottom" but i think the game has been out for long enough where we can have a general balance of classes or promote more utility for lack of DPS so you still feel useful.

Unholy main here.

I wish that I rolled warlock at the start of BFA. Unholy (379 ILV) feels awful to play to me, however, on my demonology warlock it feels amazing to play. Demonology is lacking in terms of fire power but rotationally I enjoy it.

If I were you I would stay frost.

Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    Unholy (379 ILV) feels awful to play to me
    What exactly doesn't feel good about the spec at that ilvl?
    Quote Originally Posted by DETdream View Post
    Just enjoy the game folks, they're not making it for you specifically. When you were playing Super Mario Bros. you learned to jump over piranha plants, you didn't complain until they removed the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rustaclut View Post
    Problem is what Unholy does, Frost does better,easier and most often... i would say the only fight i would consider going unholy on (bare in mind ive ALWAYS played unholy) would be Zul, but even then i might consider playing frost for simplicity...

I would like to see haste effect our dots again and the removal of festering wounds (combo points) and more focus on our dot play, or even a range of undead pets to use for different purposes etc...

The thing that annoys me more then anything with the unholy dk is the ammount of potential of the spec (uncluding frost) in insane but its just been kicked to the curb time and time again... i know people will say the stupid comment "someone has to be at the bottom" but i think the game has been out for long enough where we can have a general balance of classes or promote more utility for lack of DPS so you still feel useful.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree that frost does it better, easier and more often. Outside of breath windows, I have an easier time sustaining aoe with unholy, especially in M+. On burst AoE, there isn't anything that can compete with frost (mother, zek for example)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boz0 View Post
    Same goes for frost though.
    Well yeah, DK dps has shitty survivability. The post was about Unholy

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyboyd View Post
    What exactly doesn't feel good about the spec at that ilvl?
    • The zit-popping system (festering wounds) is terrible.
    • Unholy is painstakingly slow in terms of combat.
    • Unholy hits like a wet noodle.
    • Unholy’s single target is straight dumpster juice.
    • Absurd ramp up for ST/AoE.
    • Every cool down is on GCD except AMS/DP.
    • All of our talents are underwhelming - Soul Reaper especially.

- - - Updated - - -

We also have Scott Tissue armor. If you so much as look at us we die.

In myth+ I prefer unholy. If you are running with pugs I would recomend you to go 3 2 X 3 X 3 2 it will provide you with good aoe and st damage. If you are annihilating high lvl keys with your premade group of friends and have big pulls take 1 1 X 3 X 1 2 it will provide you with insane aoe burst. Its really lots of fan playing uh in myth+. Prefer it over bos frost. Bos is simple, easy to play, but less fun for me (just tired of it), thats why my choice is uh. They are both viable, choose what you like.
    Last edited by Terion; 2018-11-30 at 04:44 AM.

• The zit-popping system (festering wounds) is terrible.
    • Unholy is painstakingly slow in terms of combat.
    • Unholy hits like a wet noodle.
    • Unholy’s single target is straight dumpster juice.
    • Absurd ramp up for ST/AoE.
    • Every cool down is on GCD except AMS/DP.
    • All of our talents are underwhelming - Soul Reaper especially.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're feeling Unholy is slow then go for more Haste, all secondaries are close enough as to where you can just go with the secondary you enjoy most (and yes I know you might not have that gear, look for it!). That would fix you second third and fifth comment here since it all ties into how it feels you hit. Yeah we aren't Sub Rogues on Zul hitting 150k+, we have a lot of smaller hits (which actually warlocks are like that too).

You're basically the tankiest melee spec in the game aside from Rogues, who have flat out overpowered defensives. I have every melee at 120 now except Ret and if you think that Unholy is squishy you should try playing something like SV or Enhance, just to see how bad other melees have it. It's not fun.

Also, half the problems you just listed are also problems for Demo, which you said that you enjoyed. Demo has huge ramp, everything is on the GCD, lots of terrible talents, and absolutely pathetic nukes.