Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    As someone who has gone through the effort of unlocking all 6 Allied Races, where especially I've put a lot of effort into Dark Irons and Mag'har, I now want them to keep that requirement. Because otherwise I would feel like I've done that for nothing.

    But if it wasn't for the fact that I've already unlocked them, I would feel that the requirement is totally dumb. It takes a long time, it's not really fun, world quests only give you 75 rep. You could do it only with emissaries in some cases, but that automatically means it'll take much longer.

    So I think every race should just be playable right from the get-go. Especially when you consider that some people want to main an Allied Race. The moment you unlock that race you wanna actually main, you've already invested so much time into a character, bringing it to level 120, doing tons of quests with him, gaining reputation.

    Hell in some cases, these aren't even really new races. Dark Irons are just a different clan of dwarves. Mag'har just have different skin options and hairstyles. Ideally they would just be customization options, althougb they do have different racials and some are really cool, so that throws a wrench in it.

    And as far as armor goes, it's nice they're doing it, but it would be nicer if we could unlock them sooner, so we could actually wear them while leveling. Especially altoholics might level a race to max level, only to unlock the armor and then leave that character alone and level another character.

    For me for example, I already have a Human Warrior 120, Orc Shaman 120 and Blood Elf Paladin 113, and I intend to get that Blood Elf to 120 as well. Now the only three classes I wanted to play as a dwarf were Warrior, Paladin and Shaman. That's certainly unfortunate. I ended up with Paladin, because of the new ram mount, and I like playing him. I have multiple characters of every class anyway and it is no problem for me, but this early on in the expansion, I'd rather level different classes to max level first. Since time is limited, I really have to think now about what characters to level. I'll probably not get that dwarf to 120 anytime soon.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Fact #1: Allied races should have never been locked behing reputation.
    Fact #2: Heritage armor for all allied races should be unlocked like Dwarf and Blood Elf armor will be unlocked: max level, exalted, do a scenario.
    Sorry, but I did not understand. You say that allied races should not get stuck behind reputation but put heritage armor behind reputation?

    Currently you need to unlock the allied race and heritage armor to be exalted with the faction, do a scenario and be lvl 110. In your example you need to be exalted, do a scenario and be 120. (??)
    Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-H270M-Gaming 3 | Corsair Hydro Series H110 | Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Strix | Corsair TX650M | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2400MHz | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + HDD Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Gabinete Corsair Air 540 | Razer Deathstalker - Razer Naga | Windows 10 Home 64


  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Punishes how? Does Blizzard show up at your door and go, "You're going to level another alt for these pieces of gear you can only wear on this particular race or else!" No, no they do not.

    It's 100% optional content for something fairly trivial that can only be worn by that race anyway, so either accept it and level a character or accept that you won't have it and miss out on very little either way.
    Not talking about Heritage, talking about the ability to actually play the race.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Anax View Post
    I suppose if they are just giving us free things, I will go ahead and let them give me a full mythic set, and I think leveling also is a carrot on a stick anyway, so, we should be able to just start at 120 on any toon. Sarcasm aside, I like the allied race setup and I like how one must unlock their armor. I am unsure why so many people feel entitled to be given things, but also argue that other things should have to be worked for. Weird.
    Simply put: you shouldn't have to 'work' to play a race, as playing a race isn't character progression. Heritage? Fine, work for that. But the actual race unlocks should NOT be locked away behind a boost -> rep grind.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I think you are missing what Blizz is trying to accomplish with this reward setup. They want to make the leveling areas more alive with appropriate level toons. The only way to do that is to incentivize the players to level a toon. This is that incentive. If they just gave you the Mag'har Orc or Zandalari, you would not take one through the leveling content.
    What Blizzard are trying to accomplish is simply having people subscribed for longer. So anything they can do that keeps you there for as long as possible, they're going to do it. That's what Blizzard seem to be about these days.
    Often updated... ?

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I've seen this point several times now, and i'm not quite sure i understand. I unlocked all allied races on Kazzak, and i can create characters of all allied races on all servers without any problems.
    huh, I thought when I tried on our sister server it wouldn't let me. I should double check, I might be inaccurate on my information.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    I wanted a hm warrior, lvled one no problem. Or u can race change ur main to whatever u want and lvl another toon to get the heritage armor later. Players act like it’s the end of the world to have to play the game to get what u want. All they want is instant gratification.

    HM was unlocked 8 months ago with very little in the way if unlocking them, it’s completely different with Mag’har.

    Having to not only hit level 120 but then to farm the rep is already a decent grind on a character you don’t really want as your main only to unlock a new race at level 20 (presuming you want the heritage set) and start from scratch.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltsmasher View Post
    Yeah but like, your argument isn't compelling. You are saying that you want something and the straight forward way to get it is too much to be bothered with.

    Why should anyone who isn't worried about it already start to care based on your argument?

    It’s not ‘ too much to be bothered with’ that’s not the point.

    I have 2 allied races heritage sets (HM and VE) that I levelled during the end of Legion and had a blast getting the sets. To unlock the Mag’har or Iron dwarfs and use this race as a main is counter productive. Your forced to first level to 120 on s character you don’t want to use and then farm a couple of weeks worth of rep just to unlock a new race and start all over again at level 20.

    No thanks. For me one of the best aspects of these allied racies is the heritage Armor I refuse to pay for a race change.

  7. #127
    Mechagnome Kyux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Again, you're still ABANDONING one of those characters. In the example you provide, it's simply the NEW one, which is just as ridiculous.

    I'm not even opposed to paying for the race-change; I think that just comes with the territory. My issue, like I said, is that Blizzard is asking players to abandon characters, one way or the other. That is simply not acceptable.

    If they want to add a difficult or time-consuming trial to unlock the Heritage Armor... well, I would lean more towards "difficult", since unlocking the races already checks the box of "time-consuming", but as long as I can race-change my EXISTING character and continue pursuing to unlock them, I'm totally fine.

    Players just shouldn't feel like their time playing existing characters is literally being completely disregarded.
    Ah ok I see your point. But disagree. Why is it bad to abandon a new character? Say you go back and do an old raid. You are earning gear for an appearance. That is time spent on progression (gear which used to be the current tier). Once you have what you want, the appearance, you sell the gear because it's obsolete. I think this is the same as levelling a new character, albeit on a larger scale. You are doing obsolete content for a reward and once you have got what you want to discard that progression. The main obstacle for you, I suspect, is the attachment to a character. Enough is shared across characters to not risk losing anything important, and if you're speed levelling it for the armour then why get invested? I don't think there is an issue in abandoning a character you didn't want in the first place.

    Whether the time is spent on your main or a new character the time isn't disregarded because you get the same reward. If I'm using a Netherwing drake on my rogue does it matter if I earnt it on my rogue or mage? No. I still did the grind and played that content. If I'm using the heritage armour on my Zandalari does it matter if I earnt it on that character or another? No. I still did the grind and played that content. In the drake example I don't abandon the mage. In the Zandalari example you suggest abandoning one of the characters. Firstly, you don't have to. And secondly, it's not an issue if you do. You still did the content and got the reward to enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

  8. #128
    Elemental Lord Saverem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Old New New York
    Posts
    8,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I would like a Mag'har Warrior and a Zandalari Shaman. But having to level classes I already have, from scratch, just to get their defining armor, seems kind of ridiculous.
    Then don't do it? The mog armor is 100% a perk for those willing to put in the time. If you don't think it's worth leveling a character from scratch, there are still hundreds of other armors you are free to wear instead.

    Crybabies...
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    Ah ok I see your point. But disagree. Why is it bad to abandon a new character? Say you go back and do an old raid. You are earning gear for an appearance. That is time spent on progression (gear which used to be the current tier). Once you have what you want, the appearance, you sell the gear because it's obsolete. I think this is the same as levelling a new character, albeit on a larger scale. You are doing obsolete content for a reward and once you have got what you want to discard that progression. The main obstacle for you, I suspect, is the attachment to a character. Enough is shared across characters to not risk losing anything important, and if you're speed levelling it for the armour then why get invested? I don't think there is an issue in abandoning a character you didn't want in the first place.

    Whether the time is spent on your main or a new character the time isn't disregarded because you get the same reward. If I'm using a Netherwing drake on my rogue does it matter if I earnt it on my rogue or mage? No. I still did the grind and played that content. If I'm using the heritage armour on my Zandalari does it matter if I earnt it on that character or another? No. I still did the grind and played that content. In the drake example I don't abandon the mage. In the Zandalari example you suggest abandoning one of the characters. Firstly, you don't have to. And secondly, it's not an issue if you do. You still did the content and got the reward to enjoy.
    Well, I think we just have different views of it. For me, part of my investment in characters also goes into things like personal stats, quests completed, etc. The problem is when you have two characters of the same class (and likely even same faction) that each have time invested in them. You can't just "merge" characters or their stats or anything like that, so you just wind up having dumped a ton of time into a character you're just going to abandon. It just doesn't seem like a good system, to me.

    Feels like it would be much better to just be able to race-change my existing character, and then do whatever extra legwork is necessary to unlock their Heritage armor. Preferably something with some kind of ilvl-cap, so that way it still feels like a true accomplishment, as opposed to the kind of thing you can just out-gear (ie. Warlocks' Green-Fire chain was absurdly difficult when launched, but became a face-roll by the end of the expansion).

  10. #130
    I love it when people who cba to work for rewards that you don't need get mad about it, suck it up lads

  11. #131
    For Azeroth!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    4,833
    Should they put every heritage armor on the store then ? Then the people can Boost/Race change their Allied race ?

    Win win for Blizzard, double the money , genius right? /s

    Removing it's uniqueness entirely, and caving in to the instant-reward mentality.

    I am not seriously suggesting this, just imagine it.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-10-11 at 09:26 PM.

  12. #132
    After having unlocked most allied races

    (exceptions being dark iron and highmountains)

    I hope they remove the rep requirement for allied races in the future and make them start at a higher level. At least like 40
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Not talking about Heritage, talking about the ability to actually play the race.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Simply put: you shouldn't have to 'work' to play a race, as playing a race isn't character progression. Heritage? Fine, work for that. But the actual race unlocks should NOT be locked away behind a boost -> rep grind.
    I'll give you the rep grind, but not the leveling up. Just as with any character, the leveling up is part of their progression. If Blizzard just went, "Okay, all these Allied races start at 110" do you honestly think anyone would ever be any of the other races again? The truthful answer is, no, no they wouldn't.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I'll give you the rep grind, but not the leveling up. Just as with any character, the leveling up is part of their progression. If Blizzard just went, "Okay, all these Allied races start at 110" do you honestly think anyone would ever be any of the other races again? The truthful answer is, no, no they wouldn't.
    Great, you agree with me that the lock system is bad. Progress.

    I never said anything about insta-110s. Nor insta-hertitage.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    That's why I level classes I don't already have.
    Okay you can see why this is a bad system for players with every class.You have to create a character that you already know from before you create it that you don't care about it and will never care about it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    I love it when people who cba to work for rewards that you don't need get mad about it, suck it up lads
    I don't mind working for them but having to create a duplicate of a class I already have to unlock armor for a different toon together is dumb.

  16. #136
    Here's a situation that my friend is having.

    He played wow during Vanilla and part of BC. He stopped playing until about a month before BfA released.

    He started a new mage and he said to me, "It is overwhelming how much a fresh account has to do."

    This allied race shit is having him feeling like things are becoming a chore, to build reputation with many factions in order to be an allied race.

    This is important feedback from a "new" customer who had to start all over again.

    Allied races should be opened for all who bought the game. Heritage Armor for those who leveled to 110 as that race. Sounds fair to me.
    Last edited by Weeps; 2018-10-15 at 01:21 PM.

  17. #137
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Richmond, MI, USA
    Posts
    136
    I WANT the allied races (because I'm sort of a completionist) but yes, I harbor some of the same reservations as you, OP.

    1. They should have either unlocked the Legion races when BFA launched or shortly thereafter or made the rep gains WAY greater to allow someone like me, who quit back in April of 2018, to quickly get the Legion reps I'm missing (Argussian Reach, Army of the Light and Highmountain were all revered but I'm slowly getting them to exalted) instead of going back and doing useless WQs in Legion zones to try to make up the difference. Imagine in one or two more expansions someone having to go back to LEGION content to get exalted with even more pointless factions to unlock those 4 races.

    2. As for the BFA requirements for DI and Mag'har, I just recently unlocked Mag'har and I'm now leveling a DH on Alliance (at 112 currently) to be able to unlock the Legion ARs (the Draenei and whatever else) and also to eventually unlock the DI.

    I have 15/16 characters at 100+. Every single class is represented at 100+ on the Horde side and I have 3 characters 100+ on Alliance. I don't NEED more alts, but I'm rolling the horde ones on another server just for the experience (experience the world scaling and weakened heirlooms, the latter of which I hate). Once they're 120 I'll probably leave them and forget them. I don't feel comfortable deleting one of my 100+ characters and replacing them with an AR. For the Alliance ARs, I'll replace my lower level Alliance characters (most are in the 30-60 level range) with an AR of that class and repeat the leveling experience.

    In summary, I don't agree with how they're handling OLD ARs, and it does suck as an alta-holic of old who really has no need of MORE characters, but I do see why Blizz did it - they want more people populating the lower level zones/dungeons and to keep people subbed. It will be working for me, as my alts will help occupy the time once I'm "finished" with BFA until the next content patch.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Fact #1: Allied races should have never been locked behing reputation.
    Fact #2: Heritage armor for all allied races should be unlocked like Dwarf and Blood Elf armor will be unlocked: max level, exalted, do a scenario.
    those are opinions, not facts.

    tho i would agree with your opinions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •