Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Ian Bates (Red Shirt Guy) - 8.1 Darkshore Quests are REALLY Bad

Blizzplanet.com article

Here is the introduction of the article. The rest is linked above for you to read at your leisure. I'd rather not copy and paste the entire article.

I hate being negative. I especially hate it with just how toxic the community has gotten on places like MMO-Champion, the story forums, or Reddit. However the Darkshore questline, as it exists on the 8.1 PTR, has such bad writing feel I need to bring the issues with it to light. When I say bad writing, I don’t mean the normal “I dislike the story they are telling and/or believe the plot decisions and characterizations are bad,” bad writing, which is always to at least a partial degree subjective. I mean the writing is bad in a structural, mechanical sense. The quest text and spoken dialogue is completely at odds with what’s being shown. This is mostly the case for the Alliance quests, but the Horde version has issues as well. Originally I intended to release this after 8.1 goes live, as there are at least three missing cinematics which could provide some context. After some discussions on twitter, I’ve become convinced that releasing this now would be more useful. I doubt there’s enough time for Blizzard to implement any feedback on these quests, much of the voice acting is done and that’s typically the last thing they do once everything else is locked in, but perhaps it could be helpful input for future content. Let’s dive in.
    He has always presented his observations in a critical yet constructive manner. Do you guys agree with his observations on what's coming up next?

EDIT: added quote from article
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2018-10-10 at 08:19 PM.

This isn’t something I’d normally even comment on, but this games lore and storyline just became laughable to me years ago. It’s literally as if they have some teenage intern just throwing darts at a wall full of characters and outcomes to determine where it all goes. If you want a good story, you won’t find it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. He's more a meme than a source for me to follow.

I agree to a point but I don't take judgement on something I haven't seen on live yet.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The writing was bad since the first week I did in BfA.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blog...are-really-bad

I won't copy & paste the entire article, but it's a constructive read about what's coming up. He says this as a preface:

The debate of the storytelling for this expansion rages and Ian has always been constructive in his feedback. Do you guys agree with him?
    After playing through it too, I always find early critiques to be a waste, especially with how busted up the Alliance questline is. Critical analysis of PTR story content doesn't send the right message and for him to have such a negative slant while saying he doesn't like to be negative is hypocritical, IMO.

I've heard scuttlebutt that the lead narrative designer (not Golden) has made Sylvanas his waifu, and while he might be under orders to eventually shove her off a cliff, he's going to make sure there was no justification for it and the world will suffer for it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    The writing was bad since the first week I did in BfA.
    Try WarCraft 2 at least. Blizzard writing has always been pretty horrible.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Sounds like he wants to shill clicks from angry Nelf fans.

EDIT: Yup, just read it. He's mad that Tyrande doesn't "win enough".

Tough shit. It's the Forsaken warfront too.
    Last edited by EbaumsTipster; 2018-10-10 at 07:51 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    I've heard scuttlebutt that the lead narrative designer (not Golden) has made Sylvanas his waifu, and while he might be under orders to eventually shove her off a cliff, he's going to make sure there was no justification for it and the world will suffer for it.
    You mean Dengauer or what his name was who wrote "In the Mirror" and that´s basically him remodell Nathanos as he wants to look and then have posted his "love" for Sylvanas on his twitter.

See here https://imgur.com/FX4poT6
    Last edited by Tabrotar; 2018-10-10 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Adding link

Seems like entire upper echelon of Blizzard writers (those that make decisions what happens) is just filled with those immature twats that want their character suceed no matter how much they have to butcher everything.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play both sides so I don't see the "subjectivity" that RSG talks about.

But if 8.1 Darkshore plays out anything like Pre-Event Darkshore, then that's bad. We don't need one faction seeing this as MoP 2.0 and the other seeing this as Legion 2.0.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    You mean Dengauer or what his name was who wrote "In the Mirror" and that´s basically him remodell Nathanos as he wants to look and then have posted his "love" for Sylvanas on his twitter.

See here https://imgur.com/FX4poT6
    I feel kinda grossed out now.

Honestly blizzard has never been that great at story telling, it's just that the vehicle they give us the story in has always been polished and runs well, with enough bells and whistles to keep the players generally happily entertained.

BFA they decided it was okay for the sort of crap story to come in the form of a 2002 Chevy Cavalier that doesn't have AC.

nathanos is his self-insert for being exactly what everyone has been calling sylvanas fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Buscava View Post
    Honestly blizzard has never been that great at story telling, it's just that the vehicle they give us the story in has always been polished and runs well, with enough bells and whistles to keep the players generally happily entertained.

BFA they decided it was okay for the sort of crap story to come in the form of a 2002 Chevy Cavalier that doesn't have AC.
    I've had more than enough of BfA complaints, but that simile you used for a vehicle... Well done, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post

"Not enough" ? The night elves dont do ANYTHING they wanted. The horde versions wants to tell a story about a heavy loss, the alliance one about a great victory. The true? Exactly the opposite. At the end, horde players will feel better, because its seems like a total victory while the alliance is just....i dont even know. Like the night warrior thing is making you weaker and dumber. Also...sparring forsaken after telling the other that "The mercy is over "? WHY?! Why the f*** is Tyrande sparring them? Its not like she is a moral god aka Anduin. She doesnt care about forsaken and is furious, yet she doesnt kill them like an evil villian saying "Its not the right time to do that, because it would mean i win."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I agree to a point but I don't take judgement on something I haven't seen on live yet.
    In Beta for Azeroth, game tests you.

It is 99% certain you'll see it like this on live.

OT: Blizzard writing is worse than teen hentai, what's new?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFather View Post
    I feel kinda grossed out now.
    I can smell the soy oozing from his pores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I feel that calling it REALLY Bad is a gross understatement.

I’ve had the misfortune of reading Harry Potter fan fiction that had better writing than this garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post

You are missing the point, Ion stated the Alliance had suffered losses and this patch was for them to gain ground and win (LUL)

What do we get? Tyrande receives the power of elune and is hyped up yet again and is unable to defeat Nathanos the edgy undead boi.

Meanwhile in the raid we defeat king rastakhan who is already hated for basically selling out his own empire and leads the way for his Daughter who is more powerful to take control and leads the zandalari into the horde as a race. As for alliance jaina and mekkatorque are grievously wounded and have to flee except mekka is literally on ice.

Please name me a single victory that the alliance have actually had so far? And no lordaeron was not a victory

I think people are just annoyed at how bad the writing actually is for the war, like its straight up garbage tier. The actually zone stories were pretty good yet they fail at the war aspect.

And yes the Senior narrative designer is a major horde fanboi and this whole thing made me cringe. See here https://imgur.com/FX4poT6