Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think this is a huge overreaction to a valid concern, and it has more to do with people wanting to find some explanation for the Horde's sudden narrative (mis)direction.

The idea that this is all fueled by some guy's Gary Stu having a crush on Sylv, and that she will commit bad girl acts and be immune to any retribution as this writer hugs his Sylvansas Bodypillow, crying and screaming that we cannot hurt his precious Queen *DOES* seem plausible and would explain that the Battle for Azeroth is really some wank fantasy forced upon us.

But there is a huge overreaction to this. He doesn't need to be fired, but maybe we need to have a writer who has no real vested interest in Alliance or Horde actually help steer this narrative ship? Some objectiveness could be good here.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The guy has already been memed, all we need now is a 1-2 word catchphrase and there we go. At least we know what kind of weirdos keep bending and twisting the story in ever more unbelievable and inconsistent manners while not even being able to write a consistent story from point A to B without tunneling through a parallel dimension.

Does the guy deserve ACTUAL legitimate death threads? No
    Does the guy deserve snide "go play in traffic" remarks? Yes
    Should blizzard teach it's staff to not post their depraved shit online for everyone to read? Yes
    Will we see the usual suspects pull out their deck of uno-vicitim cards and open with a draw +4? Yes
    Will I be entertained to see where this goes? Yes
    I honestly wanted his face put over the fedora dude and change the caption to "M'Dark Lady"

When I thought I've seen everything already there is this.

People who send others death threats, and even "just" suggest that he loses his job because he is a bit nerdy should just get the fuck out of society.

And at the very least, people suggesting that a "witch hunt" against anyone is a good thing should be removed from public places.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2018-10-11 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    When I thought I've seen everything already there is this.

People who send others death threats, and even "just" suggest that he loses his job because he is a bit nerdy should just get the fuck out of society.
    I don't want him to lose anything, but he should be meme'd. His twitter profile is cringey af.

[QUOTE=Skulltaker;50281585]Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Also, just cos someone fucked up, doesnt mean they need to be fired. the entitlement of folk pushing this is just retarded. Criticism is worthless if you just fire the person, its better to give well thought out and presented feedback that others can rally behind instead of going out for blood and entering the feeding frenzy. this guy might have made a self insert character on purpose or by accident, i can judge my opinion on it but i cant say for certain either way.

Well, remove doesn't necessarily mean fired, just moved to another position where he can do no harm. In an interactive story like this, you need a writing staff that is as close to neutral as humanly possible. There will always be favorites, of course, but you never want a writer with an extremly skewered opinion.

There was a situation like this in Warhmmer 40k, where a writer was let loose on the background and decided to Michael Bay it, giving his favorite characters ridiculous stories and then going on to create characters so powerfull they make Mary Sue look pathetic. He also picked a piece of wargear that he thought 'was pretty cool, but always to weak', so he buffed it to a point where it almost broke the game. So, not only did his skewered view screw up a lot of background, it also had a huge impact on the quality of the game itself.
    what was the 40k example? curious about it.
    still dont think the guy needs to be removed, a stern talking to should be enough. im less bothered by nathanos thoughg than i am about most other characters, in fact i thhink hes actually one of the better ones atm in comparison

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't name and shame people. It's a good rule of thumb.

The narrative is messed up, that guy has hallmarks of a bad writer, those two facts are quite possibly related. It can be discussed without turning the entire proceedings into a naming and shaming festival.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

[QUOTE=bloodmoth13;50290113]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Well said.

still dont think the guy needs to be removed, a stern talking to should be enough. im less bothered by nathanos thoughg than i am about most other characters, in fact i thhink hes actually one of the better ones atm in comparison
    Matt Ward and his Sue Knights.

[QUOTE=Verdugo;50290467]
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post

Matt Ward and his Sue Knights.
    And 3++ Stormshields, 'because I thought they should be the best.'

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Meh, I find it disappointing that they have:

- A decade old engine that still runs pretty well.
    - A well established franchise that allows them to create any world, character or story they want.
    - Millions of loyal fans excited to see every new thing they add.

And they can't create anything better than this.
    Star Wars fans know that feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of bullshit this thread even is?

Anyone with functioning brain cells can see miles away that Nathanos Blighcaller is being established as a future leader of the Forsaken, he's pretty much Zagara of WoW and Sylvanas will end up being Kerrigan, Sylvanas will step aside one way or another soon enough and he will be lead the Forsaken instead of her, so he's being groomed for that, so that when time comes there won't be "lulz who's this dude being a faction leader now, we don't know shit about him".

I am just gonna leave this here.

[QUOTE=bloodmoth13;50290113]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Well said.

Which is a pretty low bar considering he is just an edgy archer, even Illidan an expansion ago wasn't like that or at least was less annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Where are the death threats exactly?

Calling the guy a neckbeard chode who faps over Sylvanas and self inserts a "dark mirror" of himself into a billion dollar franchises story is pretty accurate.

Also hilarious.

Here: https://imgur.com/FX4poT6
    This is exactly what we, as a community, shouldn't do. But by God, that is hilarious. That's Mark Kern levels of antisocial cognitive dissonance.

Nathanos is the most annoying voiced character I've come across in WoW, save for that old tauren lady in Highmountain; she's the absolute number one. However, she isn't around all the time, around the clock and in our face like Nathanos is.

With the latest revelation about Danuser, it is no wonder that Nathanos gets to be as obnoxious as he is as a character and that he gets as much screentime. At first it was a "cool development" to see more Forsaken characters come to light and get some screentime of their own. However, having read that tweet of his, I could already hear it being said in Nathanos' voice because that is exactly what Nathanos would say in the game. It all makes sense now and it all came together; the overly obnoxious zealous affection, the continous lowkey threats and downgrading remarks made to the Horde hero (because we're doing more for his, as is supposed here, imaginary girlfriend than Nathanos - read author - is by being the champion of the Horde). To top it off, he has the title of Sylvanas' champion and him continously being addressed as such, whether it is literary work or the latest cinematic from the prepatch, doesn't help the case either.

Not to mention that the story heavily implies that Nathanos had sex with Sylvanas while they were both alive and how Nathanos is described as a man that isn't really matching her beauty and how everyone was against him, but he managed to get down with her on on his farm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Where are the death threats exactly?

Calling the guy a neckbeard chode who faps over Sylvanas and self inserts a "dark mirror" of himself into a billion dollar franchises story is pretty accurate.

Also hilarious.

Here: https://imgur.com/FX4poT6
    It's a hilarious revelation. People always throw words such as "toxic" and "death threat" around, going deep into territory where their favourite hyperboles mate.

For every funny and stupidly awkward revelation you find, there'll always be someone who will use a handful examples to attempt to silence an overwhelmingly appropriate reaction by the audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The narrative is messed up, that guy has hallmarks of a bad writer, those two facts are quite possibly related. It can be discussed without turning the entire proceedings into a naming and shaming festival.
    In all honesty, anyone who's free enough to post cringy stuff like that for millions of people to see deserves to have to face criticism/shaming that everyone would normally have to deal with. Like, there's cringe limits beyond which the resulting reactions are your own responsibility.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2018-10-14 at 06:37 AM.

Threatening developers is ridiculously stupid. Or anyone else, for that matter. There is no justification for it. Period.

That said, I do dislike the fact that he inserted himself into the game. It's kind of disgusting to be honest. I don't hate him for it or anything, but I understand some of the hatred towards him. It doesn't ever justify RL threats, however.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Threatening developers is ridiculously stupid. Or anyone else, for that matter. There is no justification for it. Period.
    The "death threats towards developers" is just the usual scapegoat for stopping discussions. Sure, there probably is someone out there who got so pissed off by this that they'd be stupid enough to threaten Blizzard's staff with taking their lives.

However, that is surely only an extremely small fraction of the actual posts discussing this. Most are just laughing and pointing out how cringeworthy it is.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2018-10-14 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Innugammii View Post
    I assume its about the dev who has a fictional crush about Sylvanas and inserts him in the story thru Nathan Blightcaller.
    Except it hasn't been proven. The very first post there explains why the whole idea is a big pile of horseshit.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbill Society View Post
    Get your torches and sticks, we hunt tonight!

Seriously, we know Blizzard bias for some time now, unfortunately it won't change because they have employers like this.

Imo that is unprofessional behavior, it's obvious that the community is not happy about how the history has been handled so far and eventually they will have to come up with a solution. His tweets only make easier to spot the problem.
    Your casual use of the term "unprofessional behaviour" exposes you as one of those brats that will try to get people fired just because you feel entitled to dictate everything you want about the game. The community is usually in the wrong. The designers are the ones who get to make the game. If you don't like it, show it to all the designers and publishers by simply giving up and stop playing. Then leave the forums alone.

I think people are pretty stupid to obsess over it. Nathanos doesn't stick out as an "OC" character at all. He's not a Med'an. At worst he's a Thrall, a character one dev in particular really likes.