Deleted

How to detect there is an NPC that has just focused at me

Hello

It seems like the two most promising events UNIT_THREAT_LIST_UPDATE and UNIT_THREAT_SITUATION_UPDATE, and most likely all events in general, are limited to units that can be described using the "unitId" constants (as listed here: wow.gamepedia.com/UnitId)

Is there a way I could obtain some basic information (name would do) about an NPC that has just decided I am its #1 target?
    (...without me or anyone targetting it)

What is my goal (a repost from Battle.net: eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624552400)
    --
    Is there an addon that can whisper me whenever I (or my pet) cause any NPC to enter combat?
    *This includes pulls initiated by mere proximity, i.e. no spell/ability needs to be involved.*

it should work like this:
    1) NPC is minding his own business
    2) for whatever reason the NPC enters combat with me as #1 on its hate list
    3) I get whisper from the addon "You caused Evil Joe to enter combat!"

(I am not interested in addons that alert me about being #1 on mob's aggro list unless this happens with a mob that was previously not in combat.)
    --

Cheers

I can't speak to the exact code for something like this, but the addons Details! and Exorus Raid tools both have "who pulled" modules in their framework. They will print a line to chat with the name of the person (or pet) that engaged an out of combat boss. You could likely find and modify this code to do what you need it to do.

Deleted
    As far as I know Details! has "First hit" under Options -> Advanced -> Raid Toold -> General, which has following tooltip: "Prints over chat panel (only for you) who delivered the first hit, usually is who started the fight."
    I am going to look into the Exorsus Raid tools too.
    Thank you Osiris