Page 1 of 3
LastLast

does gear get normalized in arena?

Hi, I keep seeing people talking about pvp and ilvl being normalized (I.E. You maintain your ilvl but the damage you do is different based on the ilvl of your target). I understand this is how it works in Open World PvP... Is this also how it works in arena?

They implemented a really crappy scaling system to protect players who don't want to put in time to get gear.

So if someone is ilvl 100 and you're ilvl 500, instead of having a massive advantage over that player, you have something closer to a 20-30 ilvl advantage.

I don't know why they do this. I really don't. It just makes gear pointless in a gear-based game.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    They implemented a really crappy scaling system to protect players who don't want to put in time to get gear.

So if someone is ilvl 100 and you're ilvl 500, instead of having a massive advantage over that player, you have something closer to a 20-30 ilvl advantage.

I don't know why they do this. I really don't. It just makes gear pointless in a gear-based game.
    If thats the case, then could it be argued that lower ilvl gear may be better? Given that a lot of procs give flat gains (or the on-use trink that you can use to gain a flat amount of HP). If you're overall stats are lower but your being scaled then the net gain from these is higher?

Also, are they using this same system in arena?

They did it so we do have second wotlk s8. Pvp should ALWAYS be about skill not gear. Destroying lowbies is good for casuals

Competitive PVP (rated) shouldn't be about who has time to be a Mythic Raider

Templates were one of the best things about Legion for competitive arena/rbg.

Quote Originally Posted by Druitz View Post
    They did it so we do have second wotlk s8. Pvp should ALWAYS be about skill not gear. Destroying lowbies is good for casuals
    What skill ? the game has literally not been about skill for the past 3 expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    What skill ? the game has literally not been about skill for the past 3 expansions.
    I mean there's always players who are better than others, there is still skill to some degree.

That being said they've pruned classes every expansion pretty heavily since MOP, so most classes are fairly streamlined now, and not very hard to learn.

"Skill" in PVP is less about how well you know your class, rather how well you perceive what is going on around you and react to it. Pretty much any player can pick up a new class now and figure it out in a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    I mean there's always players who are better than others, there is still skill to some degree.

That being said they've pruned classes every expansion pretty heavily since MOP, so most classes are fairly streamlined now, and not very hard to learn.

"Skill" in PVP is less about how well you know your class, rather how well you perceive what is going on around you and react to it. Pretty much any player can pick up a new class now and figure it out in a couple days.
    The only difference between a 1.8 player and a glad player right now is how coordinated he is with his team, class toolkits are so over-simplified that there is no room for individual outplaying anymore.

Being coordinated is ,by definition, a metric of skill but it's a farcry compared to how much depth existed for outplaying in the past.

It's like telling an olympic athlete the only contests he is ever able to compete in is a sprint whilst also telling him that he is only allowed to hop on one leg while tying said leg with extra weights to limit the amount he can jump with it and only allowing him to move in one direction only without ever being able to turn, then proceed to tell said athlete to outrun other people , whether athletes or not.

If the only metric left for him to be judged on vs other people is whether he falls down or stays on his foot then what is the point of being an athlete in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    wheres your 2.4k rating then?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    wheres your 2.4k rating then?
    As if me linking you any profile here is going to actually prove that's really mine, but I've played above 2.7k and gotten several glad titles quite a few times.

I find that people who try to invalidate points by asking other people's "ratings" are usually not very well versed in the ways of the game.
    Last edited by wholol; 2018-10-12 at 11:10 PM.

As if me linking you any profile here is going to actually prove that's really mine, but I've played above 2.7k and gotten several glad titles quite a few times.

I find that people who try to invalidate points by asking other people's "ratings" are usually not very well versed in the ways of the game.
    You're one of those people who premake groups and put "2.7k xp and 1600 CR" in the title and gripe on the forums "the game is imba now; BFA takes no skill at all; WotLK PvP took real skill"

Competitive PVP (rated) shouldn't be about who has time to be a Mythic Raider

Templates were one of the best things about Legion for competitive arena/rbg.
    WHich is why there was a 90% falloff in participation, right? Because it was so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    WHich is why there was a 90% falloff in participation, right? Because it was so great.
    PVP has been falling off for a long time, pvpers are just getting wiser to the fact that WoW is a PVE game and the devs don't really care about PVP

PVP has been falling off for a long time, pvpers are just getting wiser to the fact that WoW is a PVE game and the devs don't really care about PVP
    Yeah, that does't explain a 90% drop-off from one xpac (WoD) to the next (Legion).

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgaf View Post
    You're one of those people who premake groups and put "2.7k xp and 1600 CR" in the title and gripe on the forums "the game is imba now; BFA takes no skill at all; WotLK PvP took real skill"
    I don't know where you got the impression that I said the game is imba now, wow never really was that complex of a game but it used to allow more leeway while doing things and it was a lot more fun as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    If thats the case, then could it be argued that lower ilvl gear may be better? Given that a lot of procs give flat gains (or the on-use trink that you can use to gain a flat amount of HP). If you're overall stats are lower but your being scaled then the net gain from these is higher?

Also, are they using this same system in arena?
    That's what happened earlier in the xpac. People who were 110-115 and still had higher secondaries and legiondaries were stomping 120s.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Classes really were not that complicated earlier either, I got gladiator multiple times in tbc and wrath and find pvp quite a bit more difficult nowadays, although part is that is probably because the skill level of your average player has increased dramatically. Fake casting in tbc meant you were an amazing player while now it's just something pretty much everyone knows off.

Let me explain it in simpler way.

Player's skill should have bigger impact on game result than item level. Imagine glads with 300ilvl playing vs 380 ilvl 1800 players without any templates/scaling.

Also if it wasnt about skill so about what was it? RNG? Who crits for more i rmp vs rmp? Who missbind on sap and accidentaly sap trinket to win arena? Or maybe it was about gold?

There are 1500 players and 3k players for a reason, personal skill, team coordination, composition. This is what should matter and not item level

Quote Originally Posted by Druitz View Post
    Let me explain it in simpler way.

Player's skill should have bigger impact on game result than item level. Imagine glads with 300ilvl playing vs 380 ilvl 1800 players without any templates/scaling.

Also if it wasnt about skill so about what was it? RNG? Who crits for more i rmp vs rmp? Who missbind on sap and accidentaly sap trinket to win arena? Or maybe it was about gold?

There are 1500 players and 3k players for a reason, personal skill, team coordination, composition. This is what should matter and not item level
    I'm not saying there should be an ilvl disparity between players, I'm saying there should be more individual impact in games but now i realize it's difficult explaining this if the other person did not experience it themself.

I'm not saying there should be an ilvl disparity between players, I'm saying there should be more individual impact in games but now i realize it's difficult explaining this if the other person did not experience it themself.
    You are just retarded and try to by toxic in funny way but you fail even at it. I played tons of games on AT so i am pretty sure i know more about individual impact in games than you. And no it was not as low mmr as idk 2.5k.

I have been saying it a lot of times on this forum and EU official forums that blizzard made game easier, too easy so your point is so bad that you look at 1700 troll in my eyes