Spirit Bomb vs Soul Cleave?

I am a bit confused... When I am supposed to use Soul Cleave over Spirit Bomb? Spirit Bomb does almost double damage, even on Single target... and they both use 30 pain to use...

The only situation I can think is if I am near to cap Pain and I dont have 4+ souls to make spirit bomb worth it...

What am I missing?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

If you're worried about optimal dps and nothing else then you should be using pain dump soul cleaves immediately following every spirit bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If you're worried about optimal dps and nothing else then you should be using pain dump soul cleaves immediately following every spirit bomb.
    Nice! Didnt think of it... this way i will prevent soul cleave consuming souls but still avoid cap pain too! Clever thanks!
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    2x Fracture into Soul Bomb into Soul Cleave and repeat. Fill empty GCD with Throw Glaive and/or Fire Sigil

Technically, Soul Cleave heals for more than Spirit Bomb. However, it is miniscule, and I have yet to personally find a need for it.

As the others have said, once you expend your fragments with Spirit Bomb, use Soul Cleave to spend any excess Pain above 30. Try to never spend fragments with Soul Cleave while burning Pain.

Soul cleave works wonderfully as a filler spell when you have no "combo points" souls from having just used spirit bomb, and other spells are on cd. Also works well to give a quick heal and apply a very small (1-2%) in certain situations.

There are also some play styles that don't use spirit bomb at all and focus soul cleave.

yeah cleave is meant as a filler with that talent when there are no souls to eat