Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sony will not appear at E3 2019

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news...e3-1203029833/

Sony Interactive Entertainment, currently riding high on record sales of its PlayStation 4 gaming console won’t be hosting its annual press conference or showing up at all during next year’s massive E3 expo.

The news was buried inside the Entertainment Software Association’s announcement of the 2019 show that quoted competitors Nintendo and Microsoft.

This will be the first time in E3’s 24-year history that PlayStation will not be attending the event, it is also the second major PlayStation event canceled by the company in recent months.

In September, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios, said the company wouldn’t be hosting this year’s PlayStation Experience citing a lack of games to show.

“Now that we have ‘Spiderman’ out the door, we’re looking down in 2019 to games like ‘Dreams’ and ‘Days Gone’ but we wouldn’t have enough to bring people altogether in some location in North America to have that event,” Layden said.”We don’t want to set expectations really high and then not deliver on it.”

PlayStation Experience started four years ago as a celebration for PlayStation’s 20th anniversary as a way to “bring fans together” for a consumer event, according to Layden. The event expanded over the next few years as a place to give news updates. This year, though Layden expressed that “we have a lot of progress that we’re making in our games” but also that there’s not much to share at this point for upcoming titles.

The same could be true for E3 2019, though that does raise concerns about the PlayStation 4 itself and a potential lack of upcoming titles.

The timing also comes just a month after Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida confirmed that a successor to the PlayStation 4 is going to happen.
    “At this point, what I can say is it’s necessary to have a [sic] next-generation hardware,” Yoshida stated. Yoshida declined to confirm whether or not the next PlayStation console will be called the “PlayStation 5,” which seems like the natural choice.

While consoles are traditionally announced at E3, the PlayStation 4’s announcement actually occurred at an event in New York City and Microsoft’s Xbox One was unveiled at the company’s campus.

In general, game consoles are facing stiffer competition from not just the traditional push and pull with the massive PC games market, but a growing mobile game market, which has exceeded $26 billion already in 2018. Kodera also said over the summer that he still sees potential in portable gaming, and thinks it shouldn’t be separated from console gaming but seen as another way to experience gaming. As consumers find ways to game beyond traditional gaming-dedicated hardware, the development of such hardware naturally comes into question.

Even more, the option of game streaming is becoming a more tangible reality, as Microsoft revealed with its game streaming tech “Project xCloud” on Monday. In a world where you could potentially stream the same games on any device, wouldn’t console choice become irrelevant?Ubisoft’s Yves Guillemot stated back in June a prediction that streaming will be “more accessible” to players, making dedicated or expensive hardware less necessary.“There will be one more console generation and then after that, we will be streaming, all of us,” Guillemot said.
    I'm not sure what this means. PS5 next year and Sony will be holding their own individual conferences over the course of the year? Do they not have enough to show (that seems unlikely with Death's Stranding and TLOUpII)? Was this past year's conference so abysmal they are trying to figure out what to do?

Not being at E3 does not mean not showing stuff around e3.

MS and EA where both not at e3 last year. Both had shows around the same time.

It really makes no sense for companies to pay E3 for show floor space in a time where people only care about the stage shows or directs. You don't need to be at e3 to host those, and Sony already hosted theirs outside of the e3 venue.

That screams "we want our own show to control the media narrative as much as possible" so yeah i'd expect a PS5 announcement next year. Still feels fast after the decade of PS4 but announcing it next year doesnt mean its coming out next year of course. A early 2020 release would make the PS4 7 years old? that seems about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not being at E3 does not mean not showing stuff around e3.

MS and EA where both not at e3 last year. Both had shows around the same time.

It really makes no sense for companies to pay E3 for show floor space in a time where people only care about the stage shows or directs. You don't need to be at e3 to host those, and Sony already hosted theirs outside of the e3 venue.
    Microsoft still had a small booth at E3 2018 for people at E3 despite having it's own event.

Sony isn't going at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the GameInformer article I posted in the third post has this as well.

When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."
    There will be nothing from Sony around E3.

It's highly likely they feel they have nothing to show and are preparing for PS5 launch in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Sony isn't going at all.
    EA hasn't gone in years.

Yet they still hold events around the same time. That are both cheaper then going to e3, and provide the same impact. It also allows more regular joes to get in instead of the press circle jerk that is e3. By time general public is allowed in e3 forget about it you aren't playing jack shit but maybe some shitty ass game or one good game if you wait in line all day.

No company as big as Sony, MS, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo etc should be paying E3 their ridiculous prices anymore when they can host their own events for far cheaper, and better actual fan experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

It's highly likely they feel they have nothing to show
    Nothing to show with 5 exclusives that won't be released at that time period. Sure thing sweet heart.

If you think there won't be a major PS event held in 2019 regardless of where it lines up on the calendar you're pretty delusional and should stick to Nintendo news.

EA hasn't gone in years.

Yet they still hold events around the same time. That are both cheaper then going to e3, and provide the same impact. It also allows more regular joes to get in instead of the press circle jerk that is e3. By time general public is allowed in e3 forget about it you aren't playing jack shit but maybe some shitty ass game or one good game if you wait in line all day.

No company as big as Sony, MS, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo etc should be paying E3 their ridiculous prices anymore when they can host their own events in the same area for far cheaper, and better actual fan experiences.
    I just posted a quote from the GameInformer article. There will be no around E3 event from Sony like what Microsoft or EA does.

I just posted a quote from the GameInformer article. There will be no around E3 event from Sony like what Microsoft or EA does.
    Who said it had to be around e3? Your words never entered my mouth. It doesn't matter if it's in May, July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov or Dec there will be either a PS Meeting or PSX in 2019. Thinking there won't be is pretty silly.

Who said it had to be around e3? Your words never entered my mouth. It doesn't matter if it's in May, July, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov or Dec there will be either a PS Meeting or PSX in 2019. Thinking there won't be is pretty silly.
    Nintendo still showed up at E3 2016 despite only having that many exclusives and still had a Direct in September (3DS only) and then a reveal video for the Switch in October.

When I meant nothing to show, either they figure smaller conferences or a changed date PSX, or those major exclusives have been pushed back to 2020 for a launch alongside the PS5.

Nintendo still showed up at E3 2016 despite only having that many exclusives and still had a Direct in September (3DS only) and then a reveal video for the Switch in October.

When I meant nothing to show, either they figure smaller conferences or a changed date PSX, or those major exclusives have been pushed back to 2020 for a launch alongside the PS5.
    Funny enough you bring this up when Nintendo was the first major video game company to ever skip an E3. Seems your nintendo history isn't as strong as I thought it was.

Nintendo started going back, but they where the first to start this trend of "we don't need e3".

Also, highly doubtful any of the announced PS4 exclusives are cross gen when with BC almost a given they can label them "PS5 enhanced' anyways. Sony released TLOU, GT6, Sly 4, God of War Ascension, Puppeteer and Beyond: Two Souls all in the same year the PS4 released. All of those games didn't get PS4 ports until way later, or not at all. If you think they're worried about releasing exclusives in the final year of a systems life you're wrong.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-11-15 at 09:38 PM.

Sony was probably about to announce new mobile games for phones, but saw Blizzard get destroyed, and decided to skip the show altogether; smart move.

I wonder if this means E3 may be in trouble.

Funny enough you bring this up when Nintendo was the first major video game company to ever skip an E3. Seems your nintendo history isn't as strong as I thought it was.

Nintendo started going back, but they where the first to start this trend of "we don't need e3".
    What year was that? I took a quick search and the only years people were talking about Nintendo skipping were 2013/2014 and both years Nintendo had an E3 Direct and floor booths.

Also, I never really paid much attention to Nintendo at any sort of gaming convention until earlier this decade except through what was shown in gaming magazines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    I wonder if this means E3 may be in trouble.
    From what I understand, the Electronic Software Association's contract for the Los Angeles Convention Center is up once E3 2019 is over. Whether they renegotiate or find another venue is up in the air.

What year was that? I took a quick search and the only years people were talking about Nintendo skipping were 2013/2014 and both years Nintendo had an E3 Direct and floor booths.

Also, I never really paid much attention to Nintendo at any sort of gaming convention until earlier this decade except through what was shown in gaming magazines.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I understand, the Electronic Software Association's contract for the Los Angeles Convention Center is up once E3 2019 is over. Whether they renegotiate or find another venue is up in the air.
    2012, Nintendo's e3 shows took place entirely at the Nokia Theater and they had no presence in the e3 venue at all.

E3 should travel around anyways. LA every year is boring. Have some in the PNW, have some in the South and some in the NE. It takes place in the late spring so weather is never gonna be an issue.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-11-15 at 09:47 PM.

2012, Nintendo's e3 shows took place entirely at the Nokia Theater and they had no presence in the e3 venue at all.
    They had a booth there. If a developer does have a booth at E3, then I don't consider them skipping it, and that includes if Sony has a booth, but no conference this year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Disappointing. E3 is so much fun

https://kotaku.com/sony-pulls-out-of-e3-2019-1830474052

Article from Kotaku's Jason Schreier. Here's a quote from his article:

It’s also yet another hint at the timing of Sony’s next PlayStation. Based on conversations with developers across the industry, I expect the PlayStation 5 to be released in 2020, and the publisher skipping E3 2019 certainly points to that.

15+ Year Old Account
    If ps5 is super bc from ps1-4, i will forgive them.

https://kotaku.com/sony-pulls-out-of-e3-2019-1830474052

Article from Kotaku's Jason Schreier. Here's a quote from his article:
    LMAO you're quoting the guy who got caught with egg on his face because he was too stupid to find the final boss in Octopath.

For the record, most sane people expect the PS5 in 2020 and did long before this announcement. Talk about captain obvious shit, 7 years is tied for 2nd longest gen with the PS3(and only the 360 at 8 lasted longer before its successor) no way they go longer, and no way they let MS beat them to release like the 360.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like they're gonna have another big Playstation event where they reveal the PS5. Also seems like they may be going all in with it and revealing a bunch of upcoming games for the console instead of revealing the console and a few games at the reveal event and then announcing more games at E3.

This definitely isn't a sign that Sony is in trouble. If anything, it may mean that E3 is in trouble which would suck, because E3 week is my favorite time of year.