View Poll Results: Do you like the lore/story?

Voters
160. This poll is closed
  • Yes

110 68.75%
  • No

25 15.63%
  • Pizza

25 15.63%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I dont care for the storyboards and lore

I dont know what it is. I tried to sit there and tune into this stuff. I just wanted to see some BfA action and whats to come game wise.

While the story is part of the game, I just dont care for it at all. Take GTA-V for example... The story in 5 wasn't as good, (imo), as San Andreas BUT I still enjoy the game much as I do with WoW.

Do you guys care for the stories and books and storyboards?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, me and my friends care about the story and lore of this rpg.

My brother actually quit playing because of the overall questionable quality of the story in Legion/BfA. He really likes RPGs, and migrated to other mmo-rpgs / single player stuff who deliver the lore in a better way.

Without story and lolre, this game is just Piñatas of Warcraft.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The story is the only reason I got into wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Blizzard have some of the worst storytelling and narratives in the industry. At least as far as WoW is concerned, I get that people tend not to care.

I kind of have to care, without story or lore I just can’t get into the game. Even shite lore is acceptable to no lore.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I dont know what it is. I tried to sit there and tune into this stuff. I just wanted to see some BfA action and whats to come game wise.

While the story is part of the game, I just dont care for it at all. Take GTA-V for example... The story in 5 wasn't as good, (imo), as San Andreas BUT I still enjoy the game much as I do with WoW.

Obviously you cared enough to create a thread about it....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Yeah I like the story in WoW, even though it has it's flaws. I don't go as far as to read the books, but sometimes when I'm bored, I browse some wow wiki articles on lore.

Yeah, obviously I do. It's an mmoRPG, story is a big part of it and always has been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some answers here are weird.

Wow lore isn’t nearly as bad as some paint it. It’s not great, but it’s not bad.

In a lot of ways, the lore is similar to Naruto: Mostly predictable, few plot twist, yet terrifyingly satisfying.

Not everything has to have the depth of GoT.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Blizzard have some of the worst storytelling and narratives in the industry. At least as far as WoW is concerned, I get that people tend not to care.

I kind of have to care, without story or lore I just can’t get into the game. Even shite lore is acceptable to no lore.
    Really? All of the mmo rpg games I've played had such a boring, generic lore that WoW's story looked like a master piece full of awesome characters. Obviously when you compare it to single player games it looks shit, but I think they are doing decent job considering it's a mmo game that puts gameplay before the lore as the devs admitted themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do care, a lot. But I don't expect Top tier writing out of it because of the limitations of the medium. And because it would be unrealistic
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Absolutely.
    Started playing Warcraft with Warcraft 2, and even then with how simple it was I must have read through that game manual a ton of times.
    Then in Warcraft 3 and TFT they got really serious about storytelling in the game and I ended up playing through the story just as much, if not more so, than the multiplayer.
    World of Warcraft is no different, the story is core and key, without the story it wouldn't be able to hold on.

While I do care about the story, I also realize that it's not for everyone. It's totally fine not to be into it. Just enjoy whatever aspects of the game you're interested in.

What kills me is the absolute disconnect with the game.

WoD killed it for me. Epic backstory mini story for Kargath, and they make him an early raid boss never to be seen again.........

After that I just stopped caring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

I care a lot about story in single player RPGs, but for some reason WoW story doesn't grab me at all. I still enjoy the gameplay.

I don't think it's just an issue with it being an MMO (I thought SWTOR had a better story than WoW), but there's definitely something about the MMO design that makes the story just not click for me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post

In your opinion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post

Well normally I care for story. But the way wow is written....I'm pretty sure anyone who actually cares about story has already left for TESO, FFXIV or SWTOR

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I love the lore, and it's a strange OP post. Nearly every game has a story, even basic PopCap games. Playing wow and ignoring the lore is difficult to understand for me, it's one of the best parts of the game. To me it would be like eating cake without frosting, or a hamburger without a bun. Wow doesn't even seem like a good game choice if you don't care about the story, it seems something a bit more arcade-y like Fortnite would be better.

But to each their own. Whatever approach brings a person the most gaming enjoyment is what's important.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    SWTOR
    Man I love that game (or at least what it used to be), but the Kotfe/Kotet story had so many inconsistencies and plot holes that it becomes increasingly difficult to care anymore.

Despite how hamfisted and clichéd some of the recent storytelling has been, I do care about WoW's lore. It has a rich and diverse universe with a plethora of storytelling opportunity. It just needs to be done right.

Somewhere in the middle, occassionally I enjoy the lore and even started reading the books recently, but when I play the game I usually don't feel like reading all the quest text, watching cutscenes etc. I usually just skip all that. So I kind of enjoy learning the lore, but not while playing.